• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Game Informer Details [Audio Design Interview]

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
It'll come down to the frequency. If it's kept in check like, say, a Brutal Legend, I don't think anyone would have a problem. If it's more like Rogue Warrior, then I think there's cause for concern.

That's my issue. I have nothing against it used in the right context--the way the OP comes off it makes it sound like you'll be hearing this non-stop for no reason.

slider

Sounds great and different enough that I'm excited.

I wonder if one shot kills means they'll make the shooting mechanics different.

And, IMO, they gotto be careful with the swearing. Although they could have fun with it; it would be hilarious if we kept hearing the same canned "shit, cock, piss" every encounter!

That's my issue. I have nothing against it used in the right context--the way the OP comes off it makes it sound like you'll be hearing this non-stop for no reason.

The magazine has a few samples of the dialogue and they mainly use profanity when they're in danger or when they're talking about a screwed up situation.

Drencrom

I can't see how fighting lawless madmen and gruesome zombies in a desolated post-apocalypse era doesn't result in alot off f-bombs.

KingK

I cringe at how sensitive people are to swearing.

Yeah, this. I mean, most people I know, including girls, swear profusely when they do something as small as stubbing their toe. I would imagine in life-threatening, post-apocalyptic scenarios it would only be realistic to be cursing a lot.

I cringe at how sensitive people are to swearing.

if there's no need for it then why put it in. Swearing in games is there to make the game feel more mature, but the only people who think swearing is mature is 14 year old boys. So there's a disconnect between who they're writing for, and who's their target audience, just like in killzone. I cringed everytime i heard a swear for no reason.

StuBurns

Banned
No, not only children swear. Swearing is a realistic truth in adult society, even as it stands today, let alone in incredible turmoil such as the setting of this game. What's not realistic is people like Nathan Drake using euphemisms for fuck when he's being shot at for the delicate ears of what should be no audience.

No, not only children swear. Swearing is a realistic truth in adult society, even as it stands today, let alone in incredible turmoil such as the setting of this game. What's not realistic is people like Nathan Drake using euphemisms for fuck when he's being shot at for the delicate ears of what should be no audience.

The only time I hear adults swear is when they're over come with anger and fustration, at or with someone, or when they get hurt or injured. I know other people swear all the time in common language, but usually those type of people are the kind that dropped out of highscool, and usually would be the first I'd kill if I were in the appocolypse. In videogames it rarely comes off as authentic, usually it feels like they put the fucks and shits in there to make the game seem more mature.

edit: I'm deciding to back away slowly from this thread, obviously cirtizism has no place in it. It's a good thing i mentioned the swearing thing before mentioning how the characters/artstyle look goofy and belong in the fun loving b-roll action uncharted universe not some dark gritty zombie game.

I think people have to release they aren't living in the same world we are, not even close, now cursing too much might seem impolite, but after what? 10 years into an apocalypse people start giving a fuck less.

The only time I hear adults swear is when they're over come with anger and fustration, at or with someone, or when they get hurt or injured. I know other people swear all the time in common language, but usually those type of people are the kind that dropped out of highscool, and usually would be the first I'd kill if I were in the appocolypse.
lol wat?

Bloodrage

Banned
if there's no need for it then why put it in. Swearing in games is there to make the game feel more mature, but the only people who think swearing is mature is 14 year old boys. So there's a disconnect between who they're writing for, and who's their target audience, just like in killzone. I cringed everytime i heard a swear for no reason.

The only time I hear adults swear is when they're over come with anger and fustration, at or with someone, or when they get hurt or injured. I know other people swear all the time in common language, but usually those type of people are the kind that dropped out of highscool, and usually would be the first I'd kill if I were in the appocolypse. In videogames it rarely comes off as authentic, usually it feels like they put the fucks and shits in there to make the game seem more mature.
LOL, the fuck? Goddamn you sound boring as shit.

StuBurns

Banned
The only time I hear adults swear is when they're over come with anger and fustration, at or with someone, or when they get hurt or injured. I know other people swear all the time in common language, but usually those type of people are the kind that dropped out of highscool, and usually would be the first I'd kill if I were in the appocolypse.
I think this is a pretty absurd claim.
In videogames it rarely comes off as authentic, usually it feels like they put the fucks and shits in there to make the game seem more mature.
This I disagree with as if it's being suggested as a universal truth, although certainly there are examples of this, I would say Crysis 2 is a notably bad one, however, if you think so little of Naughty Dog to do the same, then I'm not sure what to tell you. I have issues with their use of storytelling, but they are hardly outlandishly crass.

Meanwhile, your spelling, grammar, and social skills are clearly the mark of a valedictorian.

It's completely unrealistic in shows like Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy that you have characters who cheat on, steal from, and murder each other, but they never use an extremely common word like "fuck" because of TV censorship. Games shouldn't have to subscribe to that sort of compromise to the script.

KingK

...You don't think Joel and Ellie would be overcome with anger and frustration and potentially hurt or injured in the middle of a fight for their survival with some raiders or zombies?

Kinyou

Ellie: "I'm out of moutherfucking bullets!"

Joel: "What the fuck do you mean? No fucking bullets? I gave you fuckface 6 bullets earlier. How the fuck did you use them already?"

Ellie: "Fuck you! That motherfucker just wouldn't go fucking down so I fucking shot him again in his stupid fucking fuckface."

Do you live in the movie "Demolition Man"?

Joel: "What the fuck do you mean? No fucking bullets? I gave you fuckface 6 bullets earlier. How the fuck did you use them already?"

Ellie: "Fuck you! That motherfucker just wouldn't go fucking down so I fucking shot him again in his stupid fucking fuckface."

I'm in.

Loudninja

Haha.

Valnen

edit: I'm deciding to back away slowly from this thread, obviously cirtizism has no place in it. It's a good thing i mentioned the swearing thing before mentioning how the characters/artstyle look goofy and belong in the fun loving b-roll action uncharted universe not some dark gritty zombie game.
monoclewlp37.jpg

Dennis

Banned

ahahahahaha!

This is great man

Huff

Banned
Didn't even notice the swearing in the trailer. Sounded fine.

Not surprised to see people overreacting though

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

Written by Quentin Tarantino.

Kusagari

I'm glad swearing is in.

Personally I hate when a movie, book, game, whatever is said to be 'realistic' and then you never hear a 20-year-old so much as say the word shit. Especially when it's about people that you KNOW would be cursing if they actually existed.

That isn't fucking realistic!

Neiteio

Ellie: "I'm out of squirrel-cunting bullets!"

Joel: "What the squirrel-cunt do you mean? No squirrel-cunting bullets? I gave your squirrel-cunt 6 bullets earlier. How the squirrel-cunt did you use them already?"

Ellie: "Squirrel-cunt! That squirrel-cunt just wouldn't go squirrel-cunt it out, so I squirrel-cunt him again in his stupid squirrel cunt."
Hmm...

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

*slow clap*

Top Bottom