• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us is still freaking incredible

DrD

It's easily Naughty Dog's best cinematic game. The whole presentation, combat, and writing are great. Both the campaign and multiplayer are fantastic. I don't understand the comments about the gameplay being mediocre since I think they nailed the cat and mouse gameplay where you have to get by encounters with limited resources. It does stealth far better than Uncharted 4. If it was only about the graphics and story, then the MP shouldn't be as good as it is.

That's not to say that it's a perfect game. The puzzles where you push a log/dumpster or carry a ladder are the worst parts of the game that just feel like busywork when you already have other slow moments between encounters. These should be removed in Part 2, Joel better be able to swim on his own. The friendly AI is immersion breaking but I can understand the compromise. Both friendly and enemy AI is something that should and most likely will be improved in the sequel. Other than that, they just need to add more tools and options for stealth and combat, and more infected enemy types for more variety since the first game already has solid base foundations to work with. Maybe make the environments a little less obvious when an encounter is coming up.

LUXURY

This game is good, but it isn't amazing to me. I enjoyed the experience and the story, but I still think Uncharted is a better game.

fantomena

And nothing this gen is as good.

This game is better.

Bloodborne_Cover_Wallpaper.jpg

SomTervo

I respectfully disagree. Story aside, the core mechanics are very disappointing to me. Especially the AI is very dumb. This Breaks the Immersion to me.

Just watch this for example:

https://youtu.be/6T-AryKchQ0

I have played it and experienced several instances of bad AI too, what is this supposed to mean lol

Did yous play on PS4? I definitely experienced a number of Ai glitches on PS4 i never saw on PS3.

One of my favorite games of all time. I've replayed it a bunch of times and I think I'll probably do my 6th or 7th replay this year when I get some time again.

It's just so damn good and repeated replays just make me appreciate and love it more.

Xe4

Banned
Completely agreed OP. The first time I played that game changed my life. That's not an exaggeration either. I couldn't stop thinking about the game for like half a year, lol. Fantastic gameplay, story, characters, world design, and more. It wholly deserved every bit of praise it got.

The Last of Us isn't overrated.
Bloodborne isn't overrated.
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild isn't overrated.

They're all tremendous games and examples of the absolute best this hobby has to offer. And that's that.

Yep. "Overrated" and "pretentious" are the silliest insults or criticisms that can be leveled at a game. It's basically a way of saying that not only did you not like something, your opinion is more important than others.

If you don't like it that's fine, but you're going to have to substantiate your claims. Saying a game is "overrated" is a ridiculous argument.

Did yous play on PS4? I definitely experienced a number of Ai glitches on PS4 i never saw on PS3.

Yeah, I played on PS4. While using a glitch video to try and damn the entire AI is a bit silly, I still saw plenty of friendly and enemy AI wonkiness throughout the game on the patched remastered version. For a linear cinematic game it can be a bit of an immersion breaker, silly to claim that people who experienced it didn't play the game but ya know...

And nothing this gen is as good.
This.
My favorite game of all time,I finished more times than I could count,even make my girlfriend (not a gamer) play on easy level and she loves now ,she current replaying on normal and she is a great fan now and is upset because part 2 will take so long to launch.

These posts are just a ridiculous as the ones claiming the game is bad...
It's a good game and most importantly a crowd pleaser.

Not bad by any measure but certainly not anywhere near being the end all be all it's fans make it out to be. No one element stands out as particularly extraordinary (the story can't realistically begin to be praised without "for a videogame" being in the mix and there are certainly plenty of examples of games which had much better stories) and no one element stands out as particularly reprehensible.

It certainly seems to evoke very passionate reactions!

That was a joke/reference to another thread

Its not necessarily the story, this is a story thats been told many of times. Its the plot thats really praised? The way it all unfolds is what really makes it. And the presentation, plot, and characters altogether is what makes this game so endearing.

For me, its not a "for a videogame" scenario. This one of the best post-apocalyptic stories/plot in any medium i've experienced.

hamsjams

I played it for the first time maybe a year and a half ago on the ps4. I don't really like Naughty Dog games, even back to the Crash days. The Last of Us is by far my favorite game of theirs, but it's only a "just good" for me.

Most of the plot was standard zombie fare, and the rest felt a bit contrived. I basically don't enjoy any of Naughty Dog's line-level writing and find the majority of their characters inherently unlikeable, The Last of Us included. Ashley Johnson's great performance and some sympathy for Ellie's circumstances were essentially the only things I actually enjoyed about the narrative. Elena should have been the star playable character in the Uncharted series and Ellie should have been the same in The Last of Us.

Combat with the infected felt mostly banal and only slightly more involved than CoD Zombies. It also felt sloppy and frustrating when my melee attacks would rarely fail to connect, or when enemies would frequently instantaneously grab me in the middle of my own magnetized, locked-in attack animation. There were complaints about one-hit kills in The Evil Within, but The Last of Us is a worse offender in that regard. It regularly features encounters chock full of enemies that can ohk you and instantly in the middle of your own attack, too. I found it silly that the infected were supposed to be hyper-aggressive but you find so many of them chilling out perfectly sedate. I can't remember if there's an explanation for that, but I didn't feel it was convincing if there was.

It's been beaten to death but ally AI, or abscence of, really does take the wind out of the atmosphere and gameplay sometimes. It's also frustrating when they rarely booted me out of cover or kept from escaping sight or damage. TLOU owes a lot to Resident Evil 4 and I feel like they should have made more effort to improve the allies while using RE4's pretty incredible job of it as a base. Imagine telling Ellie to stay in place only to have her do her usual melee finisher out of nowhere to help you. That would bond her to you the player as well as Joel the character. As the game progresses, imagine being able to manually leave her in a certain position in order to help you effectively ambush enemies. The AI as is feels like a cop-out, despite the gigantic effort that assuredly went into it.

Combat against human enemies is definitely my favorite part of the game and is quite compelling but it was still marred by enemies taking one too many bullets, intermittently appearing clairyvoyant, and occassionally spotting you around corners and obstacles. I also didn't like that a few encounters felt designed to get you spotted, as if the ability for the player to just organically transfer from stealth to open combat was an unnacceptable amount of freedom.

Exploration was intriguing and rewarding but Joel moves so laboriously that canvassing areas eventually felt like a burden, especially on repeat playthroughs. Multiplayer also starts to feel like a chore after you dump tons of ammo into an enemy only for them to crawl behind a corner and get revived by a teammate who just arrived on the scene.

It's definitely my favorite of Naughty Dog's creations but I personally just bounce right off their games, The Last of Us less so. Their narrative is good but rarely captivating and their gameplay ranges from serviceable to intermittently exciting but never feels wholly thought through, polished, or gelled with the narrative. The "invisible hand" of the game designer is never quite transparent enough for me. Their games usually feel like they're playing me as opposed to the other way around, and they're not doing so particularly skillfully.

13ruce

Banned
It is indeed fantastic but i dunno why but i never have the urge to replay it, and since my memory is quite good i will remember the story for a long while.

Still fantastic game tho and i will certainly put 2 on my wishlist.

Top Bottom