• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: New Previews

Varth

Someone before posted a tweet stating that European journalists are getting a peek at MP this week. Does someone have a link to that tweet?

It's for tomorrow here in Milan. Sony PR never confirmed explicitely it's going to be MP, though.

Edit: GAF → Internet → GAF
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42604309&postcount=39

A Spanish forum managed to uncover the actress behind following survival lady character named Marlene, first shown in the VGA 2012 Trailer:

1000px-8262793870_b5c4f4080f_o.png

This character is portrayed and voiced by Merle Dandrige, we probably all know and love from her voice work in Half Life 2 for the character Alyx Vance, which I find pretty cool.

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/pos...rano-de-cuarentena-t1852196-465.html#35903890

A Spanish forum managed to uncover the actress behind following survival lady character named Marlene, first shown in the VGA 2012 Trailer:

This character is portrayed and voiced by Merle Dandrige, we probably all know and love from her voice work in Half Life 2 for the character Alyx Vance, which I find pretty cool.

http://zonaforo.meristation.com/pos...rano-de-cuarentena-t1852196-465.html#35903890

A spanish forum? We figured it out like several months ago.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=42604309&postcount=39

Forbes released their preview of the game 14 hours ago.

Walking is a slower, more lifelike pace than other games I’ve played, and when he jogs and runs, Joel is frequently breathless. He jumps more realistically, without Nathan Drake’s funny, funny flailing. There’s no superheroic wall-climbing, either. I’m surprised Joel and Ellie don’t need to urinate.

Remember, when you die–and you will. Oh yes, you will–you need to reacquire the items you had picked up before respawning.

This is Easy mode? Seriously?

It is, Monacelli assured me, because Ellie hands me some ammo and health packs when I need it, and believe me, I need it. In harder modes, Ellie isn’t nearly as gracious.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2013/05/28/a-hands-on-demo-of-the-last-of-us/

Man

"Remember, when you die–and you will. Oh yes, you will–you need to reacquire the items you had picked up before respawning."

I don't understand. There surely isn't any 'limbo' gameplay after death and before respawn?

Andrew.

Banned
From Forbes:

There’s nothing about this post-apocalyptic game that says “light-hearted adventure.” In fact, I’d say that TLoU has a great deal in common with another excellent PS3 game, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, which was also a tense, personal, and all-too reluctant journey through a post-apocalyptic world.

Well that's....an interesting comparison.

AKyemeni

"Remember, when you die–and you will. Oh yes, you will–you need to reacquire the items you had picked up before respawning."

I don't understand. There surely isn't any 'limbo' gameplay after death and before respawn?
It means that the items you found before you died will be gone when you respawn. You will have to collect those items again.

This is funny, but no :)
Maybe bad choice of words from Forbes, but how I understand this is that you must pick all items from the last checkpoint again if you died on the way to the next checkpoint.

edit: beaten.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It means that the items you found before you died will be gone when you respawn. You will have to collect those items again.

That's what I took it to mean. I think the writer used "respawning" to avoid saying "dying" again in the same couple of sentences, but it just ended up being confusing.

I kind of hate it when dying and replaying a section involves a tedious sequence of collecting necessary items. I hope this game doesn't go overboard with it.

I kind of hate it when dying and replaying a section involves a tedious sequence of collecting necessary items. I hope this game doesn't go overboard with it.

From other Previews I've read in the past I gathered the Information that the checkpoints are placed very noble. Hopefully this eliminates what you hate.

Andrew.

Banned
So the only thing the journalist at Forbes didnt like about the game was the fact that she felt like she had to chug some Prozac after playing an hour? Haha. Nice.

ironcreed

Banned
Some good stuff in these previews. I appreciate them going for a more deliberate pace that should surely make you soak in the struggles along the way.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I think I remember reading this, yes. Enemie locations and where they move are also randomly generated, which makes the new game+ more pleasant.

I don't know that this part is true. I've read that their equipment load outs can vary, but I've seen playthroughs now of the same areas by different people, and it seems like the same layout every time. But some press people did say that their load outs do change.

Would love for enemy spawns to be randomized a bit... especially NG+ to keep things tense on replay, but afaik they haven't said this was true.

edit: Hey funny avatar change. Made me laugh.

I don't know that this part is true. I've read that their equipment load outs can vary, but I've seen playthroughs now of the same areas by different people, and it seems like the same layout every time. But some press people did say that their load outs do change.

Would love for enemy spawns to be randomized a bit... especially NG+ to keep things tense on replay, but afaik they haven't said this was true.

You are right. We shouldn't consider this as fact yet. But as far as I know, the media and people who had the chance to play it were all playing it on easy mode. It maybe has something to do with the difficulty setting of the game. So, locations could change randomly when playing on harder difficulty or each difficulty has it's own unique location, or we should optimally wait till we get the retail disk on our consoles.

edit: Hey funny avatar change. Made me laugh.

:D

I'm a little frustrated because I live in Taiwan, but I'm Canadian with a Canadian PSN account and I purchase everything through that account.

Some region 3 games that I purchase here in Asia are not compatible with DLC content from the Canadian/North American PSN store.

For example, the DLC for Uncharted 3 was region locked. I'd buy a skin or a map from the PSN store, pop in my region 3 disc, and the game would not recognize the downloaded content.

Some games have this issue (Batman Arkham City, Tomb Raider) others do not (Borderlands 2 season pass worked fine, and I was able to purchase the Bioshock Infinite season pass as well).

With Uncharted 2 & 3 both having region-locked DLC, being Sony exclusives, I've no doubt that these restrictions have been enforced for The Last of Us.

Lame!

So my options are, wait nearly 3 weeks to play the game because I'll be taking a trip to NYC a week after the game releases (I'll be in New York for 2 weeks) and get a North American copy of the game...or buy it here, play the campaign, then sell that region 3 copy and replace it with a region 1 copy when I go to NYC.

Decisions, decisions. Suggestions are welcome.

Riposte

Anyone else disappointed about the lack of object shadows when using the flashlight? Only humans and zombies have them, tables and chairs have none. Doom 3 did it 9 years ago. It's just something you expect when you have a flashlight.

Everything about the game is perfect but that and it makes me sad. Will still buy the game though. Hope the PS4 version has all the bells and whistles.

http://abload.de/img/elliersyuc.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://abload.de/img/gunnyd3bij.gif[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iiHp0nDjxpakc.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Hmm, I guess enemies can't see your flashlight.

Make bend do uncharted 4. Nd can do another new IP.

I'd rather they make the next-gen Syphon Filter. We need that in our veins. Plus next-gen leg animations to boot.

I'm a little frustrated because I live in Taiwan, but I'm Canadian with a Canadian PSN account and I purchase everything through that account.

Some region 3 games that I purchase here in Asia are not compatible with DLC content from the Canadian/North American PSN store.

For example, the DLC for Uncharted 3 was region locked. I'd buy a skin or a map from the PSN store, pop in my region 3 disc, and the game would not recognize the downloaded content.

Some games have this issue (Batman Arkham City, Tomb Raider) others do not (Borderlands 2 season pass worked fine, and I was able to purchase the Bioshock Infinite season pass as well).

With Uncharted 2 & 3 both having region-locked DLC, being Sony exclusives, I've no doubt that these restrictions have been enforced for The Last of Us.

Lame!

So my options are, wait nearly 3 weeks to play the game because I'll be taking a trip to NYC a week after the game releases (I'll be in New York for 2 weeks) and get a North American copy of the game...or buy it here, play the campaign, then sell that region 3 copy and replace it with a region 1 copy when I go to NYC.

Decisions, decisions. Suggestions are welcome.

I feels ya bro. Living in Hong Kong, I too also utilize a US PSN account due to their array of content. Getting a US import of the game is near impossible but I always always rely on PlayAsia.com. They tend to have the US version of the games. Considering you live in Taiwan, I think the shipping would be pretty fast I assume.

That, and try to stock up on US PSN cards. It got me through some rough times..

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
When is the demo due? I can't be bothered to turn on my PS3 and put Ascension in. :p

This is what I have been wondering as well.
I have an inkling that its probably going to be up at midnight US time, and later in the morning EU time. Midnight EU time would be so much fairer :(

They have 4 comics being released as a prequel. 2 have been released and the other two will come later in the summer. If you are looking for it the title of the series is American dreams. I just wanted to discuss a bit about issue #2. It mentions stuff that will probably be a spoiler for the main game so I'd talk with spoiler tags

Top Bottom