• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us: New Previews

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
I don't think it's a fair comparison... at all.

Instinct was a fundamental gameplay element in that remaining undetected was predicated on the ability to put your hand over your face and look away as you pass someone. Turing off instinct took this away completely. If turning off instinct only removed the instinct trails (that showed where guards would walk, or their position through walls) it would be a more apt comparison... but turing off instinct practically broke the damn game.

That's not what this is. It's just turning off an assist or possible crutch for the player, not a fundamentally game-breaking core mechanic.

In Absolution you can disable enemy trails and wallhack while keeping on the "hand on the face" thing.

That said, I agree with you, all the fuss around the listening mode is too exagerated since you can disable it and ND said that if you have a good audio system you wouldn't need it anyway, so the game wasn't really built around the mechanic.

Are there any games where the controls get tighter as you go through, representing the character's acclimatisation to their actions, without visual upgrades ala bar-filling and XP?

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

As you go through the game, you get to update your skills, you can get better at riding a bike, driving, piloting a plane, etc. A lot of people forget that, but that was part of what made GTA:SA so awesome. I hope this upgrade in TLOU is similar to that and that they have that in GTAV come to think of it.

iYz3CGiHnGOYz.gif

I absolutely love this shot...damn. Thanks!

Loudninja

This playable taster really illustrated the intensity of The Last of Us’ combat and offered a fine showcase for the frankly brilliant AI. Yes, it was horribly short, but if Naughty Dog’s goal was to whet my appetite, mission accomplished. In terms of controls, the combat is strikingly similar to Uncharted, but that’s not a bad thing; Nathan Drake’s adventures had perfectly functional controls, and wielding Joel’s firearms and melee weapons here is a cinch. Hold L1 to aim, press R1 to shoot, and hammer Square to use melee attacks. What really struck me, however, is the aforementioned enemy AI. Your opponents really bust their balls to flush you out, and are crack shots to boot. They’ll flank you, pin you down, grapple with you, and take highly accurate shots at you, all the while keeping you on the move and staying constantly aware of your position.
Don’t think you can just sit tight and knuckle down behind a waist-high wall; Joel must take advantage of all space available and attempt to play his enemies at their own game by sneaking up on them whenever possible. I had to fight tooth-and-nail to dispatch my enemies, and I ran out of ammo fairly quickly. Your foes like to use cover just as much as you, and the window of opportunity to target and shoot them is all too brief. Despite Ellie's brave efforts to help out (she leapt onto an adversary's back to distract him), I was overwhelmed numerous times and beaten to a bloody pulp.
http://www.psu.com/a019445/The-Last-of-Us-hands-on-preview---set-to-be-one-of-2013s-best-PS3-games

I'm definitely worried about the inventory management. The gunplay comments also worry me, after what happened with Uncharted 3.

The idea of "crafting" being in this game always struck me as an awkward attempt at throwing a buzzword into this game, and I'm just hoping it doesn't bog down the experience like I fear it could.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything

I'm kind of surprised to read someone draw a comparison of TLoU and Uncharted controls.

I mean they are fundamentally different. Yeah, maybe when you aim your weapon, the controls are similar in that they're: shoulder button aim and shoulder button fire... just like pretty much every other shooter on Earth.

But movement in the environment is very different... Uncharted has a free camera that you can whirl around Drake, and the direction you press on the left analog will (eventually) cause Drake to turn his body in that direction.

TLoU is not anything like that. Player orientation is controlled by the right stick. Where Joel faces is bound to what direction you press the right stick. His torso is bound to the camera, unlike Uncharted.

Therefore TLoU has more in common (mechanically) with a FPS than it does with Uncharted. The similarities to Uncharted control is rather superficial. It's more perspective (TPV) than how it actually controls.

And then the entire tone and flow of combat is so much different than Uncharted... Idk man... just seems really lazy to try and float that comparison.

phew, listen mode isn't forced.

game looks fantastic to me, everything seems to come together. looks amazing of course, plenty of atmosphere, combat looks fun, etc. my only hope is that they keep the "witty banter" to a minimum.. that shit was just intolerable in the Uncharted games, almost by default made me cringe. and here it would be even worse since it just doesn't fit with the general themes of the game.

Knoxcore

There is a lot of potential for this game to be less than GOTY (which, lets be honest, most people agreed TLOU was expected to be in contention for GOTY).

Based on the previews, I think there are kinks and quirks that can pretty much put a hamper on gameplay. There is no doubt that this will likely be among the best looking games of this generation, but when all is set an done, I think a metascore of the mid 80's is a safe bet.

I'm kind of surprised to read someone draw a comparison of TLoU and Uncharted controls.

I mean they are fundamentally different. Yeah, maybe when you aim your weapon, the controls are similar in that they're: shoulder button aim and shoulder button fire... just like pretty much every other shooter on Earth.

But movement in the environment is very different... Uncharted has a free camera that you can whirl around Drake, and the direction you press on the left analog will (eventually) cause Drake to turn his body in that direction.

TLoU is not anything like that. Player orientation is controlled by the right stick. Where Joel faces is bound to what direction you press the right stick. His torso is bound to the camera, unlike Uncharted.

Therefore TLoU has more in common (mechanically) with a FPS than it does with Uncharted. The similarities to Uncharted control is rather superficial. It's more perspective (TPV) than how it actually controls.

And then the entire tone and flow of combat is so much different than Uncharted... Idk man... just seems really lazy to try and float that comparison.

If the game wasn't developed by ND people wouldn't be comparing them.

"Too much shiny shit to click on, bullet sponge enemies, lol puzzles, image quality looks like that shit underneath your shoe, pretty disappointing overall

8/10, do better, ND"

JoduanER2

phew, listen mode isn't forced.

game looks fantastic to me, everything seems to come together. looks amazing of course, plenty of atmosphere, combat looks fun, etc. my only hope is that they keep the "witty banter" to a minimum.. that shit was just intolerable in the Uncharted games, almost by default made me cringe. and here it would be even worse since it just doesn't fit with the general themes of the game.

This a thousand times, it just doesnt fit the theme of the game, and i think i saw an scene where ellie does that and is just stupid... Please stop naughty dog

Ravage

Just finished watching the new gameplay footage and wow...i'm so glad we're still getting games that genuinely excites at this stage of PS3 lifespan.

UrbanRats

"Too much shiny shit to click on, bullet sponge enemies, lol puzzles, image quality looks like that shit underneath your shoe, pretty disappointing overall

8/10, do better, ND"

That's alright because going by the infamous "Uncharted 3 reviews" thread, the scale is in a 4 stars system:

7/10: ☺☻☻☻
8/10: ☺☺☻☻
9/10: ☺☺☺☻
10/10: ☺☺☺☺

Stark

Banned
This a thousand times, it just doesnt fit the theme of the game, and i think i saw an scene where ellie does that and is just stupid... Please stop naughty dog

Heck no. I especially look forward to it in this game since I want to hear what Ellie thinks of what she sees for the first time and how Joel responds.

Loudninja

Heck no. I especially look forward to it in this game since I want to hear what Ellie thinks of what she sees for the first time and how Joel responds.
Yeah how does it not fit the game exactly?

She is a 14 year old that for the first time seeing all this stuff in the world.

So this game, hell most console games, was not even on my radar until I saw the commercial (I am a strictly handheld gamer). Now, I. MUST. PLAY. THIS. TITLE. This could be the title that gets me back to playing on consoles.
PS3 has a fantastic last year. I recommend you to look at other exclusives such as Puppeteer, rain and Beyond too depending on your taste. They're all shaping up to be something rather special.

Oh man, you can turn off everything! Way to go ND!

How is it lookin' people? I'm still on media blackout...
It looks rather impressive. Not much forced bang bang as I feared. Very different feel than Uncharted.

That feeling when you know deep in your loins that something is going to be GOTY before you've even played it.

Well y'know, unless The Last Guardian comes out on the PS4 this year.

delta25

Banned
"The Last Of Us’ ‘listen’ mode, an option that systematically destroys all but the last remnants of any tension, is a dumb, pointless addition seemingly added once an arbitrary focus meeting determined that the Infected were too deadly unless they were highlighted with a big glowing white outline."
thesixthaxis - http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/05/17/this-is-the-last-of-us/

not sure why there's a need for this to be a complaint, don't like it, don't use it, easy enough I'd say.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
"don't like it, don't use it"
but the game is build around shitty modes!
"well you don't have to play the game!"

If they let you completely disable it then it clearly wasn't built around it. It's one thing if they were just saying not to press the button for it, it's another to allow you to completely disable it.

What's the word on scariness factor? Is it?

I've read/heard a fair few times that the game is hugely tense and harrowing at times, so hopefully it'll deliver on that front. I remember a video preview from Sessler some months back where he was talking about the subway segment minutes after having played it, and he was clearly shaken.

delta25

Banned

If it was forced upon I could see a legitimate complaint, but being that its not forcibly integrated into the core game play and is easily avoidable, I fail to see the issue.

edit:
just saw the thread showing that it can in fact be disabled, so ya...dumb complaint.

UrbanRats

If they let you completely disable it then it clearly wasn't built around it. It's one thing if they were just saying not to press the button for it, it's another to allow you to completely disable it.
Yeah we'll have to play the game to see if it was "designed around it" but i highly doubt it.
There seem to be enough cues to be able to complete the game without the need of it, so yes, "don't use it" could very well be a valid response in this case.

sunnz

Listen mode is literally you seeing the silhouettes of the enemy, I don't get how this being optional or completly removed ( if you don't use it) can make the game uneven or something.

Unless it does more than that.

Just don't go running into rooms thinking it's Uncharted and I am sure you will be perfectly fine.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So.... I did not read about one person (or see one person) use the quickturn. Is this still a thing?

Loudninja

So I ask this before but does the game have any framerate issues or tearing?

I haven't read one preview that mentions it yet.

That feeling when you know deep in your loins that something is going to be GOTY before you've even played it.

Well y'know, unless The Last Guardian comes out on the PS4 this year.
Does your list allow multiple GOTYs ? :D

So far Bioshock, TLOU, GTA and Beyond all have a fair shot at reaching this title and if they all deliver I really don't know what to do at the end of the year TBH.

Just finished looking at the game preview (it was a real hassle to find one without annoying commentary) and I gotta say the game looks good. From the E3 trailer I thought the game was going to be one big cinematic game but it didn't turn out like it. You can't blame me for thinking that since most of what happened in the E3 trailer was forced moments like the guy with the pipe, and the partner with the brick.

Anyways the game looked great and I can't wait to play it. I wish I can see more battle sequences to see if the girl can truly protect herself and not be an annoying partner. Too many games I've seen where annoying partner A.I. completely ruin a good game. Hearing from the reactions of people who've played it, I guess it plays good too. Naughty Dog truly outdid themselves with this game.

Anyways the game looked great and I can't wait to play it. I wish I can see more battle sequences to see if the girl can truly protect herself and not be an annoying partner. Too many games I've seen where annoying partner A.I. completely ruin a good game. Hearing from the reactions of people who've played it, I guess it plays good too. Naughty Dog truly outdid themselves with this game.
She really doesn't do anything. She always stays in cover and doesn't get in your way. She doesn't blow your cover and doesn't need to be protected, because she is never attacked and can't die outside of scripted moments. This may change later in the game though, because at this point she was never directly armed.

Loudninja said:
So I ask this before but does the game have any framerate issues or tearing?

I haven't read one preview that mentions it yet.
I think I saw a bit of tearing at some point, but most of the time it is fine. Framerate is Uncharted level, so 30 FPS locked with a few exceptions. They saved a bit on the AA side to achieve this though.

Top Bottom