• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us - Off screen footage from PAX East

arne

Well it's not hard for anyone to believe that your U2 or U3 demos weren't real when they consist of fairly basic third person shooting. What you showed in TLoU regarding human interactions looked on a level that I haven't seen in many games before.

So of course I'm going to be suspicious when you're showing something off that hasn't really ever been pulled off.

hahahaha!

We were doing technical things in the U2 demos that were unprecedented on consoles. so yeah, no dice to be so utterly reductive to say they were "basic third person shooting." thanks for playing.

Sorry but there needs to be people like me that take a more critical view on games, instead of just having a bunch of people circle jerking about games they haven't played yet.

sure, be critical. unfortunately what others are calling you out for is that you aren't being critical, or at least your criticism isn't coming from a place of validity. it's only asking "wheres the beef" when it's an question that distracts from being intelligently critical of what you are seeing.

sunnz

hahahaha!

We were doing technical things in the U2 demos that were unprecedented on consoles. so yeah, no dice to be so utterly reductive to say they were "basic third person shooting." thanks for playing.

Honestly you should just ignore him, even if you gave him the game to play and it was what we have seen, he will still find faults.

arne

Does anyone know if you can disable the highlighting of items?

Pretty certain is not in the build as it currently is. However, we're still in development and menu options, difficulty, UI/UX, are still very much in progress.

hey, arne. could you explain what is going on here?

http://www.lazygamer.net/ps3/uncharted-3-looked-way-better-at-e3/

just curious why or how this happens during game development.

short answer is during development things are always in flux. i can't speak to that stuff right now, and certainly not in a TLOU thread to keep things on topic.

Cramoss

Pretty certain is not in the build as it currently is. However, we're still in development and menu options, difficulty, UI/UX, are still very much in progress.

Alright, thanks! I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it if that were an option along with other HUD options.

i-Lo

RPG elements?

Apologies for turning this into little bit of an off topic AMA, however, have ND ever considered doing a WRPG, a major genre that no Sony studio has delved in (afaik)? Given the name and consequent prestige the studio carries, has anyone in a position of authority ever thought about expanding the portfolio to include what is undoubtedly one of the hardest genres to excel at given the myriad of challenges a non linear, open world game presents?

A new generation presents a new set of opportunities. I can't even begin to imagine the uproar of joy and scepticism that GAF would be host to if ND did intend do a sci-fi (my favourite) or a fantasy (less so) WRPG. Many, including myself, have wondered what would happen if ND's tech met a more open world game.

Kindly, do not misunderstand this as a lack of appreciation for all the hard work ND has put into all their previous works. I love a good cinematic single player game with a good story as much as I would a good WRPG. It is just that having control (magnitude of effective consequence notwithstanding) over story elements and non linearity in mission structures have a special place in my heart much like ND. So marrying the two to see what the best of both worlds can bring is only natural.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Apologies for turning this into little bit of an off topic AMA, however, have ND ever considered doing a WRPG, a major genre that no Sony studio has delved in (afaik)? Given the name and consequent prestige the studio carries, has anyone in a position of authority ever thought about expanding the portfolio to include what is undoubtedly one of the hardest genres to excel at given the myriad of challenges a non linear, open world game presents?

A new generation presents a new set of opportunities. I can't even begin to imagine the uproar of joy and scepticism that GAF would be host to if ND did intend do a sci-fi (my favourite) or a fantasy (less so) WRPG. Many, including myself, have wondered what would happen if ND's tech met a more open world game.

Kindly, do not misunderstand this as a lack of appreciation for all the hard work ND has put into all their previous works. I love a good cinematic single player game with a good story as much as I would a good WRPG. It is just that having control (magnitude of effective consequence notwithstanding) over story elements and non linearity in mission structures have a special place in my heart much like ND. So marrying the two to see what the best of both worlds can bring is only natural.

Rumors are that GG's new IP is a fantasy WRPG.

hahahaha!

sure, be critical. unfortunately what others are calling you out for is that you aren't being critical, or at least your criticism isn't coming from a place of validity. it's only asking "wheres the beef" when it's an question that distracts from being intelligently critical of what you are seeing.

seriously arne, don't bother with him, it's the same old shtick over and over again in sony threads, EVERY SINGLE TIME.
really excited about everything i'm hearing about this game, i'm really jealous of the folks that played it at pax, you bastards :)

Zakkath

The game looks hard. Players dying left and right.

It's not so bad actually. There were lots of players dying, but they were all rushing CoD style instead of having a tactical approach. I went through the demo in 25min, died once. I used stealth a lot. it keeps those Clickers away and lets you thin the enemy numbers. You can even stealth kill Clickers with a shiv. You just gotta be careful not making a sound, cause if you get to you, you're dead. The crafting is also pretty nice.

I had a great time playing the game and will definetly buy it day 1. The only downside was the queue line : 2h30 and we were in the middle of it. Those poor guys in the back probably waited 4 hours.

i-Lo

Rumors are that GG's new IP is a fantasy WRPG.

Off topic:

Thank you Robo for reminding me. I must confess, I am kind of tired of fantasy based games (although I will fully try to enjoy my unplayed 360 copy of TW2). For me science fiction holds more sway because one day a derivative of these sci-fi elements could constitute reality (I love sci-fi shows). After Mass Effect and KoTOR, I crave for a space sci-fi RPG. I know I'd be getting my kicks of a dystopian sci-fi future from Cyberpunk 2077 (as I loved Deus Ex HR), however, given Sony's 1st party developers are in the best position to exploit PS4 fully (most of all ND/SSM) I'd have like to see them face the challenge of a new genre.

nib95

Banned
Woah, came back to read this thread and looks like Arne tore this place up! Massive thanks to you dude for actually taking the time to respond to so many posts. After reading several of the impressions from the PAX demo, seems those who played it loved it.

In ND I believe.

Dragon

Banned
Yeah I actually was deterred from playing the demo because of the lines. I did watch players and had to leave so I didn't spoil myself. Remind me is this taking place in Boston or Pittsburgh? I saw an I-90 sign which reminded me of the pike.

arne

Yeah I actually was deterred from playing the demo because of the lines. I did watch players and had to leave so I didn't spoil myself. Remind me is this taking place in Boston or Pittsburgh? I saw an I-90 sign which reminded me of the pike.

Demo here takes place in what's left of Boston.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I assume that'll constitute a probable demo in the future, so it may be unlikely to see the whole segment being played out.

I wonder if that's why we didn't get the infected walkthrough vid on PSN...

SaitoH

Mhn4t8z.jpg
You so jelly.

Actually if I was to complain about the demo, the shirt design wasn't that good. :p

Edit: added quote

Ironically, this thread has made me want to play MGS4 over again...

Tks ND!

One of the greatest game ever made in my book, even with that crazy convoluted story that I had to watch like 4 times to understand everything...lol

will pick up TLOU too eventually, don't worry'0)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Not at this time. We're focused on shipping for PS3 - thinking about how to bring this over to the PS4 would distract us right now. IF that's something we can and choose to do, I suspect it would happen once we release the game.

Doubt you could say yes even if there was plans. Which is smart, because if a PS4 port was announced, I'd definitely wait.

Top Bottom