• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Part I |OT| You know Ellie, we really are worth 70 dollars

GymWolf

Gold Member
The higher resolution (4K clarity is a game changer imho), better texture quality/lighting, 3D Audio, Haptics, and improved physics (shattering objects all around you). You can call them gimmicks, and I thought they were too, until I actually played it. On their own they are subtle, but collectively it really sells the experience better.

Trust me, I went into this wanting to be disappointed, but came out quite the opposite.

I actually hope there's a director's cut of TLOU2 now that implements all of these features.
No offense, but that sound like a huge stretch...
I mean i get the dildo thing if you are into that, but texture being better and resolution being better or having some limited enviromental destruction how does improve or make more visceral the act of shooting\beating someone?

I had the feeling that it was something else and not really an improvement on animation or gore or impact since from the video it looks identical to tlou2 and i have a clinical eye for this shit.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Weird. I'm the opposite. I don't see the difference in fidelity but the 30fps frame rate really bothers me and I can't seem to adjust to it. I'm not doubting you as many others have said the exact same thing. Maybe just a matter of different eyes being affected differently.

I assume you have a 4K TV? I have about a 65" TV and sit reasonably close. So the difference in resolution is always apparent to me. Noticed it right off the bat in this game and Horizon.

Topher

Gold Member
I assume you have a 4K TV? I have about a 65" TV and sit reasonably close. So the difference in resolution is always apparent to me. Noticed it right off the bat in this game and Horizon.

55" LG C1 OLED. I sit about 6 feet away. Maybe screen size is the difference.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
No offense, but that sound like a huge stretch...
I mean i get the dildo thing if you are into that, but texture being better and resolution being better or having some limited enviromental destruction how does improve or make more visceral the act of shooting\beating someone?

I had the feeling that it was something else and not really an improvement on animation or gore or impact since from the video it looks identical to tlou2 and i have a clinical eye for this shit.

"Visceral" was not really specifically the act of shooting someone. It was the way the combat scenarios played out, the feeling of being behind cover, having the 3D sounds of shooting all around you (they are much punchier), the sounds and physics of glass shattering you as the bullets are flying, and the feeling of the haptics as you use your shotgun or magnum. It just feels "punchier".

On the other hand, TLOU2 does have more diverse movesets and animations, but it feels completely flat compared to TLOU Part 1 due to lack of these features.

I am not sure if the Gore is better, though it is made way more obvious by higher resolution. I am noticing the gibs a lot more.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
And yeah, I still think that Part II is way more visually impressive. Not only due to animations, but in Part II there's so much more detail imo

Levels are bigger in the sequel, but they still have more detail. Interiors in particular are much more detailed in Part II. Each house you enter you feel like it's telling you a story about how things went down just by looking at how things are displayed.

In Part I it feels like it has Part II levels of detail, geometry, texture, lighting, but the attention to detail is simply not there.

While I understand that Part II has larger levels, Part II is *NOT* more detailed whatsoever. Go back and play the games, look at the textures and density of the detail in the interiors. They look more flat in Part II.

I agree - TLOU2 may be a wonderful game but it is just too damn long with switching characters mid-way and an epilogue that almost "drags". The story beats take twice longer as well. In Tlou1, which is about 10-12 hours max, every season is about 2-3 hours and then we rotate to a new setting and cast of characters. I totally see myself replaying Part 1 but Part 2 is a whole endeavour. It doesn't help that part 2 is all about misery and horribleness through and through.

Yep.

TLOU1 is like UC2 - perfectly paced. Cutscenes are short, they move into gameplay sections at a good steady clip, very few moments of just walking and doing nothing. All your progress on weapons continues to the end of the game.

TLOU2 sacrifices gameplay and pacing for story, and you should NEVER do that in a game.

Bartski

Gold Member
I don't have a 40hz screen

so I am playing in 30 fps and it's been solid for me.

TLOU is one of those games where once I "adjust" to 30 fps, I don't notice a big difference vs. 60 fps. The movement is so slow it doesn't really matter, the game looks very smooth at 30.

The increased fidelity is massive. I do not understand why many outlets like Digital Foundry are basically always recommending the 60 fps modes. They did the same with Horizon (At launch pre-patch), and they were wrong.

I don't understand this infatuation with framerate all the time. 30 fps when stable is NOT BAD for many (maybe even most?) games.

Some OLEDs (like my Philips) look horrible in 30 FPS. You either get frame ghosting and very stuttery-looking image, or enable mild smoothing interpolation that results in distortion halos around objects in motion and it's just not worth the extra sharpness.

I'm about to buy a C2 just in time for Ragnarok, those I'm hearing perform way better in 30. I'll be happy to do some testing and share.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
52336654918_3719f8c6a2_o.png

52336844255_232a4f8d3c_o.png

GymWolf

Gold Member
"Visceral" was not really specifically the act of shooting someone. It was the way the combat scenarios played out, the feeling of being behind cover, having the 3D sounds of shooting all around you (they are much punchier), the sounds and physics of glass shattering you as the bullets are flying, and the feeling of the haptics as you use your shotgun or magnum. It just feels "punchier".

On the other hand, TLOU2 does have more diverse movesets and animations, but it feels completely flat compared to TLOU Part 1 due to lack of these features.

I am not sure if the Gore is better, though it is made way more obvious by higher resolution. I am noticing the gibs a lot more.
Oh ok, i always relate the word visceral with how it feels to shoot\beat someone, not all the external things that make a scene more cinematic\realistic.

Filldo

Any added secrets or anything or is this a carbon copy only?
I don’t think there are any new secrets. It also does not feel like a carbon copy though. It’s familiar if that makes sense. There was clearly a lot of love poured into it and the performances are just ridiculous. I can’t wait till it comes down in price so more people can experience it cause it’s really good. Can’t wait for the next ND game.

Filldo

Oh ok, i always relate the word visceral with how it feels to shoot\beat someone, not all the external things that make a scene more cinematic\realistic.
In that Sense it is definitely more visceral. The audio and haptics really give more weight to everything. Human physics seem upgraded, like when you shoot people they drop like rocks and hit the ground hard when they die versus getting shot and not killing your can tell they aren’t dead, it’s hard to explain but visceral is definitely a good way to describe the action.

GymWolf

Gold Member
In that Sense it is definitely more visceral. The audio and haptics really give more weight to everything. Human physics seem upgraded, like when you shoot people they drop like rocks and hit the ground hard when they die versus getting shot and not killing your can tell they aren’t dead, it’s hard to explain but visceral is definitely a good way to describe the action.
I think it's a personal thing because i usually don't care about 3d audio and even less about something vibrating in my hands when it comes to visceral combat, you can put all of that on ghost recon combat and it still gonna be utter shit without good animations\impact\ragdoll\gore.

I don't understand the part about human physics, can you explain better? because from the videos i watched it looks identical to tlou2, but surely superior to tlou remaster, i'm gonna check by myself when my copy arrives since i'm kinda of a maniac when it comes to these things:lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Filldo

I think it's a personal thing because i usually don't care about 3d audio and even less about something vibrating in my hands when it comes to visceral combat, you can put all of that on ghost recon combat and it still gonna be utter shit without good animations\impact\ragdoll\gore.

I don't understand the part about human physics, can you explain better? because from the videos i watched it looks identical to tlou2, but surely superior to tlou remaster, i'm gonna check by myself when my copy arrives since i'm kinda of a maniac when it comes to these things:lollipop_grinning_sweat:
I guess the only way I could explain it is that it feels like they are effected by gravity rather than just going through an animation. 2 did this too but it feels better and more refined now. Less gamey, more real. The gore and hit reactions are all very good, though I wish we had a knife like in two where you could slice and stab. Melee has some occasional jank I have noticed, like the hit detection is taking a second to process. When it happens it’s jarring because of how smooth and fluid everything else is. Strangling npcs feels better than ever. Their expressions and seeing the light leave their eyes is definitely better with all the upgraded character models. I think once you experience the audio and haptics you will agree that it’s much more than a vibration or gimmick, it adds a lot to everything feeling more real.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I fucking love TLOU, but I dont think the improvement is worth it.

Its very good if you are new to the series though..

GymWolf

Gold Member
I guess the only way I could explain it is that it feels like they are effected by gravity rather than just going through an animation. 2 did this too but it feels better and more refined now. Less gamey, more real. The gore and hit reactions are all very good, though I wish we had a knife like in two where you could slice and stab. Melee has some occasional jank I have noticed, like the hit detection is taking a second to process. When it happens it’s jarring because of how smooth and fluid everything else is. Strangling npcs feels better than ever. Their expressions and seeing the light leave their eyes is definitely better with all the upgraded character models. I think once you experience the audio and haptics you will agree that it’s much more than a vibration or gimmick, it adds a lot to everything feeling more real.
Believe it or not, you got me more hyped for my copy, i live for these details.

(but i still don't understand what you mean :lollipop_grinning_sweat: )

Last edited:

ikbalCO

While I understand that Part II has larger levels, Part II is *NOT* more detailed whatsoever. Go back and play the games, look at the textures and density of the detail in the interiors. They look more flat in Part II.

Yep.

TLOU1 is like UC2 - perfectly paced. Cutscenes are short, they move into gameplay sections at a good steady clip, very few moments of just walking and doing nothing. All your progress on weapons continues to the end of the game.

TLOU2 sacrifices gameplay and pacing for story, and you should NEVER do that in a game.
Also noone mentions this but tlou part 1 has that perfect momentum forward. You never go back.
I hated when in part 2 you would spend hours working through area after area too reach your goal and when you were done, ellie would go back to the theatre with a cut scene.

Dude, like wtf? I know this is a game but dont treat me like i am an idiot.

ikbalCO

I fucking love TLOU, but I dont think the improvement is worth it.

Its very good if you are new to the series though..
It's worth it.

The original alien is my favorite movie. I thought nothing could beat that thing.

Untill i watch 4K hdr remaster of alien, on my oled...

When the foundation is that good, that future proof, every upgrade becomes priceless.

This game is the alien: 4k hdr remaster of games.

Last edited:
Something I learned today: If a puzzle glitches on you (like, I don't know, a certain generator on a college campus won't plug in), you can get around it by turning on "skip puzzles" under Accessibility.

Hugare

From developer on Resetera:

moT6aIp.jpg
... did this guy played Part II? Or Uncharted 4?

They were also all rendered in real time, with no cuts from one scene to the other.

This is nothing new to Naughty Dog. They are masters at this thing.

Plus, this game has smaller areas due to its PS3 origins, so I figure it would be even easier to stream assets than Uncharted 4 and Part II (despite the higer resolution textures)

Rift Apart for example, is way more impressive imo

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Fidelity mode players. Are you playing 30fps mode?
or "40" fps mode? vrr or not?
40fps mode with VRR unlocked framerate runs really terrible. I started with this for the first 2 hours and then went performance with VRR and unlocked framerate which is worlds better. Because I had been playing it for 2 hours already and used to looking at it, the resolution drop was barely noticeable but the framerate feels amazing. Performance is definitely the best way to play.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

55" LG C1 OLED. I sit about 6 feet away. Maybe screen size is the difference.
I'm glad you at least don't sit that far away from it. There's so many people that buy 55 and 65 inch OLED's and then have a lounge room or space where they sit 3-4+ metres away from it. It's like what's the point of spending money on an OLED if it's too small for your viewing distance. They wouldn't tell the difference between 1080p and 4K lol.

EDMIX

It's worth it.

The original alien is my favorite movie. I thought nothing could beat that thing.

Untill i watch 4K hdr remaster of alien, on my oled...

When the foundation is that good, that future proof, every upgrade becomes priceless.

This game is the alien: 4k hdr remaster of games.

That was such an amazing restoration. Most old films don't get that type of treatment or outcome, but they pulled off amazing job with Alien 4K.
I actually hope there's a director's cut of TLOU2 now that implements all of these features.
Sounds like those features really make this remake, but its likely really hard to market as a lot of that is based on feel, like you get it once you start playing it type thing .

TLOU is one of those games where once I "adjust" to 30 fps, I don't notice a big difference vs. 60 fps. The movement is so slow it doesn't really matter, the game looks very smooth at 30.
Same. For 3rd person titles, I actually favor 30 fps as I don't really get anything from a higher frame rate. With titles like this, if I get a locked 30 at a great image, I favor having the better image. Thats how I played the remaster, even with options to play it differently then the PS3 version, I just stuck with the 1080p 30fps mode.
texture being better and resolution being better or having some limited enviromental destruction how does improve or make more visceral the act of shooting\beating someone?

Well....thats not really what James is saying here, he is merely saying how haptic feedback feels and wishing its in some remaster of Part 2 in the future, not that it beats the gore in Part 2. So I'd agree with James on this that if they do a remaster of Part 2 ala Director's Cut or something with all those features, it makes sense and its not really saying all that "improve" gore or shooting someone or something that you have in Part 2, merely that those other elements are better in the remake.

I still don't get why they didn't have the gore in the remake either though lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
That was such an amazing restoration. Most old films don't get that type of treatment or outcome, but they pulled off amazing job with Alien 4K.

Sounds like those features really make this remake, but its likely really hard to market as a lot of that is based on feel, like you get it once you start playing it type thing .

Same. For 3rd person titles, I actually favor 30 fps as I don't really get anything from a higher frame rate. With titles like this, if I get a locked 30 at a great image, I favor having the better image. Thats how I played the remaster, even with options to play it differently then the PS3 version, I just stuck with the 1080p 30fps mode.

Well....thats not really what James is saying here, he is merely saying how haptic feedback feels and wishing its in some remaster of Part 2 in the future, not that it beats the gore in Part 2. So I'd agree with James on this that if they do a remaster of Part 2 ala Director's Cut or something with all those features, it makes sense and its not really saying all that "improve" gore or shooting someone or something that you have in Part 2, merely that those other elements are better in the remake.

I still don't get why they didn't have the gore in the remake either though lol
He used the word visceral to describe combat and 99% doesn't use that term to descrive controller vibration, 3d audio or better textures or some limited destruction, that's why i was confused, nobody use that specific term to describe these things usually, but it is all clarified now.

kyliethicc

Sound mix for this game is excellent. Great dynamic range, fidelity, and locality.

Love all the little touches that make it feel like the true first half of a larger story with Part 2.
The UI, breakable glass, workbenches, Joel cocking the hammer back while aiming, and more.

And all the new animations and bits for the workbenches are impressive.

Bartski

Gold Member
https://www.9news.com.au/technology...e-remake/57c8fda0-f5ec-443d-a1bb-631f194dd553
That's in addition to upgrades which take advantage of the PlayStation 5 controller's adaptive triggers which - in many ways - make the Last of Us Part One remake, more advanced than Part Two.
Naughty Dog's drive to remake the original - according to Creative Director and writer Shaun Escayg - was to blur the line between the game and its PS4 sequel.
"We really wanted our fans and potentially new fans to have the ability to play Part One and Part Two continuously, without these large gaps in fidelity and technology," said Escayg.
But both he and the game's Director Matt Gallant were coy when speaking to 9News.com.au about bringing the same improvements to the Last of Us Part 2.
"That's an interesting idea but we don't have any news on that right now," said Gallant.

Bartski

Gold Member
Obviously...they are getting ready for that TV show. They didn't want to port that old PS3 remaster from 2014 again and this time to PC players, almost 10 years later, lmao.
also made to get repackaged and sold together with some HD version of Part 2 further down the line.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The only part of TLOU2 that can stand up visually to TLOU1 on PS5 is the Santa Barbara area.

Not that I'd ever really want to go back and play TLOU2, but I just had to see the difference for myself, and wow is it striking.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played some of it last night. After finishing both games before, I am still taken back whenever I shoot a guy in the neck and he proceeds to hold his hand over the wound while collapsing to the ground.

Top Bottom