• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us PS3 vs PS4 comparison (spoilers!)

Carnby

I distinctly remember adjusting my tv when playing the ps3 version. I immediately noticed the game was blurry. When adjusting my tv didn't work, I thought either my tv was aging or my eye sight was.

I'm looking forward to the PS4 version's clarity.

ankuo

Banned
never owned the game dont like most of the sony single player games and yet i bought the ps4 due to it being the stronger system. should i just skip this game or actually play it i couldn't stand ucharteds qte love fest is this game the same?

jonnyp

As has been said and shown in the thread, the PS3 version is not that blurry. Also I expected better of the PS4 version (particularly maybe lighting and shaders) but since it's coming soon I guess they just wanted a straight port with as little work as possible.

The difference looks to be so small that I personally won't be double dipping.

shandy706

This video is nonsense. Native 720p is not that blurry in a 720p video. Not to mention it's not 1080/60

Here's the specs of the encode.
Code:
Video
Format                         : AVC
Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                 : Main@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames      : 3 frames
Codec ID                       : 7
Duration                       : 1mn 43s
Nominal bit rate               : 4 000 Kbps
Width                          : 1 280 pixels
Height                         : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio           : 16:9
Frame rate mode                : Constant
Frame rate                     : 29.970 fps
Color space                    : YUV
Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
Bit depth                      : 8 bits
Scan type                      : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.145
Writing library                : x264 core 140
Encoding settings              : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x1:0x111 / me=hex / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=0 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=24 / lookahead_threads=4 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=60 / keyint_min=6 / scenecut=0 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=abr / mbtree=1 / bitrate=4000 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=8000 / vbv_bufsize=8000 / nal_hrd=none / filler=0 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

Well, going by a lot of people's reactions.

720p looks great!!

Duxxy3

You could already play it with a PS4 controller though.

Eh... you can't turn the flashlight back on when you need it if you use a DS4. I know it's a small thing, but there are parts where I would freak the hell out if I couldn't get the flashlight back on.

Duxxy3

There's definitely something wrong with GameSpot's footage on the PS3 side. I still have footage of the first two hours captured on my computer (and my capture wasn't the greatest either, but still better than that). Here's a side by side of my capture versus theirs (both are PS3).

Gamespot:
ibbJOx9krhrdye.png

Mine (PS3):
ibnWPy7uE1LMO8.png

You can see theirs is more blurrier and washed out than it should be especially on Ellie's face (you can't see her freckles), forearm, wrist etc. The PS4 version will look better either way, but this isn't a good comparison since their PS3 footage is fucked up.

Yeah that's about what I remember.

Heh. I remember before I knew anything about fps and resolution wondering why games sometimes looked blurry. I always thought I had a shitty TV or something. Then next-gen happened and I got all into this resolution and fps stuff. Kinda miss the innocence of not knowing or caring a little bit.

Shin-Ra

Why does this video exist? To generate interest in order to sell the game. That's what marketing is. So yes, I wouldn't put it beyond them to make the PS3 version look much worse than it actually is. There are ad agencies who have done much more devious things than that.
You realise Gamespot made this themselves?

never owned the game dont like most of the sony single player games and yet i bought the ps4 due to it being the stronger system. should i just skip this game or actually play it i couldn't stand ucharteds qte love fest is this game the same?
We must have different definitions of QTE because Uncharted really doesn't have many.

It's amazing how much detail is lost on resolution alone. The individual snow flakes on the horse or the tears on cheeks. Everything is far more pronounce now, it looks fantastic

HF2014

Seriously people. You are going to spend 60$ again to play the same game you played on ps3, with what, a 5% visual improvement? These next gen remake are really starting to annoy me...

This trailer just made me turn my ps3 back on tho... hehe

But seriously, the ONLY reason i would buy it having a ps4 is because i would have sold my ps3, and im expecting it to be 40$ or less.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Seriously people. You are going to spend 60$ again to play the same game you played on ps3, with what, a 5% visual improvement? These next gen remake are really starting to annoy me...

But seriously, the ONLY reason i would buy it having a ps4 is because i would have sold my ps3, and im expecting it to be 40$ or less.

You're getting over double the resolution and double the framerate.

Is it worth $60 to me? Heck no, but I'm sure people playing it for the first time will go for it.

scoobs

For those of us who haven't played its the perfect time to jump in, and going from 720/30 > 1080p/60 isn't a 5% visual improvement.

The beauty of choice, just don't buy it. I still own a PS3 and TLOU on it but will get this day one. The resolution, and framerate bump are good enough for one of the best games of all time. I will also enjoy playing a multiplayer where everyone has all the maps so the player base isn't split up.

Jigolo

1080/60 FPS and improved visuals with all the DLC I never bought of one of the greatest games ever made. Worth $60 for me.

Also, don't tell me what I should and shouldn't spend my money on.

HF2014

For those of us who haven't played its the perfect time to jump in, and going from 720/30 > 1080p/60 isn't a 5% visual improvement.

Im still wondering. Does it make the texture look better? No. Its just simple resolution that will give you the feeling that it look better. Trees wont look better, water, textures. Its all the same. Will just look clearer.

Shin-Ra

Im still wondering. Does it make the texture look better? No. Its just simple resolution that will give you the feeling that it look better. Trees wont look better, water, textures. Its all the same. Will just look clearer.
Higher resolution and anisotropic filtering makes textures look better, yes.

MrDenny

A lot of the environments had muddy textures and we're pretty jaggy.
The game will look better, not just "clearer."

bender

What time is it?
Wish this would have launched at $40.00. I'll probably wait for a price drop. Waiting is probably the better choice to get some distance from the campaign anyway.

Gestault

I call rubbish on this. I literally have that scene on my PS3 in the background from my laptop: The image is blurred, with bad black levels and with a green hue-shift in the "comparison" footage compared to the retail version of the game on my TV.

HardRojo

Knowing the actual release date has calmed me down regarding the Remaster, now I can wait quietly till July 29th arrives.

Gestault

I Tweated Gamespot asking whether they produced the PS3 footage or if it came from Sony. This appears misleading, to put it kindly.

From what I can tell, and the reason the PS3 version looks so blurry, is they upscaled the PS3 version to 1080, recorded it next to the remaster version, and then downscaled the result video to 720p. What I want to see is a 1080p video with the 720p upscaled. You guys can post 720p screens all you want, but as soon as you fullscreen that 720p screenshot and zoom it so that it fills a 1080p screen you get comparable levels of blur. Compare a zoomed 720p shot to a native 1080p shot for the best comparison.

Top Bottom