• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us PS3 vs PS4 comparison (spoilers!)

Gestault

From what I can tell, and the reason the PS3 version looks so blurry, is they upscaled the PS3 version to 1080, recorded it next to the remaster version, and then downscaled the result video to 720p. What I want to see is a 1080p video with the 720p upscaled. You guys can post 720p screens all you want, but as soon as you fullscreen that 720p screenshot and zoom it so that it fills a 1080p screen you get comparable levels of blur. Compare a zoomed 720p shot to a native 1080p shot for the best comparison.

I'll say this: Would the footage from the Gamespot comparison, played back on my TV at standard size, look similar enough for the sake of comparison to that game being played on that same TV under normal circumstances? I assert that the answer is no.

If a shrunk down image of the game is blatantly blurred compared to a full-size version of it, something is very, very wrong with it.

So they still don`t show gameplay of the remastered version?! I get more and more the feeling they didn`t went the extra mile to take full advantage of the PS4`s hardware like CD did with TR:DE and Rockstar appears to have with GTA 5.

If it`s just a resolution and framerate bump i will pass. That`s not why i wanted a PS4 version of this game. The idea was to get some better textures into the game (the ps3 version has some real low res artwork) and maybe some wind physics for the vegetation or other nice stuff.

It would be a shame if they - as a first party studio - couldn`t match the effort third partys invested into their PS4 "next gen" versions.

antitrop

Huge difference, not even considering the doubled (and then some) framerate. Absolutely can't wait.

It's obvious that something was wrong with Gamespot's capture of the PS3 version, though. 720p looks like shit, but it doesn't look that much like shit. Still, the numbers don't lie and 1080p is a massive pixel increase from 720p, so it will look much better than what I played last year.

I'm hoping they get some good AA in the Remaster, as well. The PS3 game used AA when it felt like it. They just blurred the edges of characters in the pre-rendered cutscenes.

1080p/60fps with some good AA makes me warm inside.

antitrop

The Last of Us: Remastered is worth $60, because it comes with the DLC that just came out 4 months ago, too.

I specifically didn't play it back then, because I was anticipating this Remaster.

Cygnus

Banned
The Last of Us: Remastered is worth $60, because it comes with the DLC that just came out 4 months ago, too.

I specifically didn't play it back then, because I was anticipating this Remaster.

Still pricey I feel, considering it's just the same game with some performance enhancements.

HardRojo

Value varies from person to person, to me the Remaster is worth $60 because it comes with more content, provides a slight but noticeable upgrade to a game I've completed 3 times already and I never get tired of going through it, if the Remaster had not been announced I would probably have beaten TLoU 6 times by now.

Cygnus

Banned
The PS3 version of The Last of Us is still $40 MSRP at retail, plus you're getting the $15 DLC. The game has long sales legs due to the GOTY press.

It should be less expensive than the originals, it's not a new game like those are, its a remaster. $40 for the lot would be a lot fairer IMO

Gestault

Still pricey I feel, considering it's just the same game with some performance enhancements.

I have the same reaction to this as I did to the Tomb Raider Remastering: No one doesn't know what to expect, going in. The original games in questions are of very high quality, with no obfuscation from a short reveal window. The choice to buy it is motivated by the best understanding of the product an end-user could possible hope to have. No one believes there won't be price drops at later points in time. If these games aren't worth the initial $60 asking price, then no game is. Demand determines how it will sell at that price.

alatif113

It should be less expensive than the originals, it's not a new game like those are, its a remaster. $40 for the lot would be a lot fairer IMO

Well its a good thing Sony didn't hire you to decide their pricing. If the original costs $40, what makes you think it would be a good idea to price an upgraded version with all DLC at the same exact price?

Elios83

Huge difference, not even considering the doubled (and then some) framerate. Absolutely can't wait.

It's obvious that something was wrong with Gamespot's capture of the PS3 version, though. 720p looks like shit, but it doesn't look that much like shit. Still, the numbers don't lie and 1080p is a massive pixel increase from 720p, so it will look much better than what I played last year.

I'm hoping they get some good AA in the Remaster, as well. The PS3 game used AA when it felt like it. They just blurred the edges of characters in the pre-rendered cutscenes.

I noticed that the trailer was 60fps but did they confirm that the game is gonna be 60 fps on PS4?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I'd be shocked if it didn't have decent AA. It's still a PS3 game at heart and the Uncharted 4 trailer has heaps of AA.

Cygnus

Banned
Well its a good thing Sony didn't hire you to decide their pricing. If the original costs $40, what makes you think it would be a good idea to price an upgraded version with all DLC at the same exact price?

Because a lot of people buying it will have already spent money buying the original. And it's not like Halo Anniversary where they remade the entire game, its exactly the same game with higher framerate and resolution, why do they charge so much for such little work compared to making another game? to me the price is too high.

meanspartan

I'm sure it will look amazing on Ps4, but that video is bullshit. You can say I'm remembering wrong if you want, but it was only a year ago. The game was NOT that blurry.

HardRojo

Because a lot of people buying it will have already spent money buying the original. And it's not like Halo Anniversary where they remade the entire game, its exactly the same game with higher framerate and resolution, why do they charge so much for such little work compared to making another game? to me the price is too high.

Because you are not paying for the patch to upgrade those textures and the resolution, you are paying for all the content, improved.
Edit: What I would agree with though, is with the fact that ND should offer an upgrade for $15 or $20 but forcing you to use the PS3 disc in order to play.

Gestault

Do you feel that people are being misled, or that the choice some will make buying it at full-price is foolish? One of those is a rational outward criticism, the other is simply a reaction to individual agency. If I disliked puzzle games, and I attempted to extrapolate my taste to others, I would think those who bought Tetris were very foolish indeed.

I've played TLoU 4 times since release and, while it did not have the sharpest of resolutions, it definitely didn't look as bad as that video made it seem. Still, I can't wait to play through this game again, it's one of the best games I've ever played. I'm disappointed that Sony isn't offering any kind of incentive to those that already bought it. I preordered it digitally on PS3 and would love it if Sony did an "upgrade" type thing like AC and Battlefield 4 did on the PS4 release at a reduced price, as at $60 it's a bit overpriced. All the upgrades in the world won't change the story, and that was what I loved the most about the game. I'd pick it up again on the PS4 at around the $30.00 range, not $60. But, for those who get to play it for the first time, they'll be in for a treat.

meanspartan

Also, why no gameplay comparison?

That is where the framerate difference is.

In general, these 720p30 compressed to hell "comparison" videos always irritate me. Not representative at all.

Cygnus

Banned
Do you feel that people are being misled, or that the choice some will make buying it at full-price is foolish? One of those is a rational outward criticism, the other is simply a reaction to individual agency.

I'm purely expressing how I feel about it, I have no problem with others buying it, but to me personally it's too much money for the same game I already own at higher resolution and framerate, is all. If they had an upgrade discount it would definitely soften the blow.

Edit: What I would agree with though, is with the fact that ND should offer an upgrade for $15 or $20 but forcing you to use the PS3 disc in order to play.

That would be perfect.

I'm sure it will look amazing on Ps4, but that video is bullshit. You can say I'm remembering wrong if you want, but it was only a year ago. The game was NOT that blurry.

Yeah, I don't remember the PS3 version looking that blurry either. It may have something to do with the way they are scaling the PS3 version up to compare 1:1 to the PS4 1080p.

Guy Legend

Based on the video, seems like a non earth shattering visual upgrade. IMO not worth spending $60 on it unless you absolutely loved the game.

shem935

Banned
I do not think the original looked that bad (as represented in the video) but whatever. All they would need to do would be to lock it at 1080p 60fps and call it a day and I would buy it. The DLC and improved lighting and textures they are adding is all bonus. Selling my ps3 was a hard decision predicated on funding for the ps4 but the games I miss the most are journey and Last of Us. Halfway there Sony.

Timu

Um, the PS3 version didn't look that blurry, I just played it recently and it definitely looks sharper than what the video presented.

Larogue

There's definitely something wrong with GameSpot's footage on the PS3 side. I still have footage of the first two hours captured on my computer (and my capture wasn't the greatest either, but still better than that). Here's a side by side of my capture versus theirs (both are PS3).

Gamespot:
ibbJOx9krhrdye.png

Mine (PS3):
ibnWPy7uE1LMO8.png

You can see theirs is more blurrier and washed out than it should be especially on Ellie's face (you can't see her freckles), forearm, wrist etc. The PS4 version will look better either way, but this isn't a good comparison since their PS3 footage is fucked up.

wow good catch

Shojx

It definitely looks a lot cleaner and clearer, but I really want to see some actual gameplay footage before I'm completely sold on this remaster. The cutscenes already looked pretty good on the PS3 version.

Oh, yeah... it seems Gamespot's PS3 footage is kind of crappy to begin with.

Well either way, I still want to see some remastered gameplay.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
There's definitely something wrong with GameSpot's footage on the PS3 side. I still have footage of the first two hours captured on my computer (and my capture wasn't the greatest either, but still better than that). Here's a side by side of my capture versus theirs (both are PS3).

Gamespot:
ibbJOx9krhrdye.png

Mine (PS3):
ibnWPy7uE1LMO8.png

You can see theirs is more blurrier and washed out than it should be especially on Ellie's face (you can't see her freckles), forearm, wrist etc. The PS4 version will look better either way, but this isn't a good comparison since their PS3 footage is fucked up.

Yep, it's like that trailer Capcom released for the HD version of Resident Evil 4. It's like they intentionally made the original seem blurrier to make it sell better.

Even if the comparison is a bit shit, I can tell that the remaster looks quite a bit better, and will likely look even better once it's running on my tv, what with the whole being 60fps and not compressed web footage.

Phil4000

Difference isn't really that great to be honest.
I am sure the actual in game stuff will look dramatically better though...

delta25

Banned
I was thinking the same thing, the GTAV remaster looks like a lot of work went into it, this just looks like a resolution and texture boost :/

Ummm no, essentially what they've done is taken all the pre-rendered assets and brought them over into to real time/gameplay.

this is what the PS4 version will most likely look like
the-last-of-us-sunset.jpg

2442415-8890095188-24329.jpg

1370039825-runner-punch1.jpeg

The-Last-of-Us-9.jpg

I recently replayed the game after the PS4 launch, and boy were the system limitations obvious. It was...quite an adjustment, to be honest. I didn't remember the game looking like that when I originally played it. The capabilities of these next gen consoles really astound me.

This remaster looks great though, and I will definitely be double dipping.

Top Bottom