• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

i6D0LgkRkH3Rw.jpg

http://i.minus.com/idsQbzsREcsT1.jpg

Needs more texture warp. Lol.

freakzilla3000

Kind of a weird question but I have yet to play the game.... Will my wife like this game? She is not into video games but LOVED Uncharted. I know they are two completely different games but is the storyline griping and do you think she would enjoy it?

Kind of a weird question but I have yet to play the game.... Will my wife like this game? She is not into video games but LOVED Uncharted. I know they are two completely different games but is the storyline griping and do you think she would enjoy it?

It's a lot darker and more violent than Uncharted. Does she mind violence?

The story is leagues above Uncharted. If she loved Uncharted for the story, she'll probably cry during this. Do it.

It's way more darker and violent than UC in both story and gameplay .
If she likes UC for the happy atmosphere and jokes , TLOU story wise does not have that .
Still the story is better than UC but i still like UC stories more because i rather action adventure than depressing stuff .
The gameplay in TLOU much better than UC so i hope for UC4 they add some of it .

It's much much more serious than Uncharted. It really deals with serious themes and has some realistic characters. Some vert tragic moments in the game as well. Do not expect Uncharted, the only similarity they have are good writing/dialogue. but they are completely different tone and themes.

Kind of.. She's a "girly girl" so that's what I was worried about. I personally want to play this game so bad so I was just wondering if she would get into it at all...

Seems like a no. Thanks!

She may like Ellie, and some of the moments Ellie and Joel have together, and she will probably like the DLC, but in terms of the game as a whole....I'm not so sure. It's violent, bleak, wayyyyy more serious in tone compared to UC (for obvious reasons), and it can be pretty scary at times, too.

Then again, she may fall in love with the characters so much that she puts up with the rest of it. Who knows?

PSOreo

I'd seriously love it if they patched in a textual downgrade alas these PS1 pictures or even one level as DLC. I'm sure a lot of people would totally go for it.

Flandy

When I got my copy of TLoU at launch the first thing I did was go into the options and turn listen mode off. When I started the game I chose hard. I really recommend playing it like this. It's a really nice balance of tense gameplay and fairness. Honestly, later on in the game you'll still end up feeling like you have too much ammo :lol But yeah, that was how I did my first playthrough and it was glorious.

Kind of.. She's a "girly girl" so that's what I was worried about. I personally want to play this game so bad so I was just wondering if she would get into it at all...

Seems like a no. Thanks!

Sit her down with you for like the first 20 minutes or so. You'll know if she'll be able to get into it after that.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Normal = Easy

The Last of Us "easy" mode is a complete joke.
Nobody should try this.
Ruins the complete game

Yes, it is! Perfectly balanced and how you should play TLOU the first time (+ listening mode off)
Makes you "feel" the game.

Easy and normal = meh!
Having tons of bullets and resources is boring and lame as fuck.
Ruins the complete experience.

I disagree! I played TLOU on Normal first and played for 23 hours, absorbed the story and investigated every nook and cranny. I then played it on hard (twice. NG+), which was followed by survivor (twice. NG+). Once I'd absorbed everything the story had to offer, I decided to go full out Rambo in easy mode. I no longer felt guilty for skipping cutscenes and just played it as a 'game'. It was GLORIOUS!

For a first time playthrough, this is definitely NOT recommended but for someone, like myself, who had already played it 5 times, it's a completely different experience. Easy is GREAT, once you've experienced the harder difficulties.

All in all, I played it 7 times and if it hadn't been for the news of the PS4 version, I would have finished it 8 times.

Easy+hold run+skip cutscenes = INTENSITY (but only when you've savoured this masterpiece)

I don't know, not everyone is as good at games as others. Not everyone wants to be overtly challenged when they play a game. Normal with listen mode on is a perfectly valid way to play the game. If an individual feels they want more of a challenge then they can alter the game the way they see fit, by upping the difficulty, by ignoring or disabling listen mode, or whatever. The options are there for a reason, there's no one way that everyone must play the game or they are doing it wrong.

Pretty much. I'm going to go Hard with Remaster but I'm keeping listen mode on no matter if people call it cheat code or whatever. I'd like to know where everyone else is before I plan my stealth run through the room.

I don't know, not everyone is as good at games as others. Not everyone wants to be overtly challenged when they play a game. Normal with listen mode on is a perfectly valid way to play the game. If an individual feels they want more of a challenge then they can alter the game the way they see fit, by upping the difficulty, by ignoring or disabling listen mode, or whatever. The options are there for a reason, there's no one way that everyone must play the game or they are doing it wrong.

Thank you. I played on Normal with listen mode on and I still found the game challenging, brutal, and tense. I died many times and even got stuck at a few areas. I don't doubt that harder difficulties with less items etc ratchets up these feelings to extremes - but it doesn't mean Easy or Normal are a stroll down the beach. I know for a fact that anything harder than Normal for my first time would have frustrated me to the extent that I probably would have stopped playing.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
this ain't nobody first playthrough young'n...
Of course it is, several people have said it in this and other TLoU:R threads.

With perfect random distribution the audience the majority that buys this game on PS4 would not have played it, because they didn't own a PS3.

The AI are improved in the sense that two punches will down your ass, then they will jump on top of you and beat your face. Lol.

The Infected AI is pretty much the same - save for the clickers who seem more sensitive than before - but the Hunter AI is noticeanly more pro-active, flank better, with better self-preservation and (this is the thing that surprised me) will sometimes silently sneak up on you instead of announcing to everyone that they found you and give you an instant choke-out kill from behind, just like you do!

benny_a

As someone that hasn't played Grounded I'm going to go with the one that doesn't just dismissively asserts he is right without elaborating.

Andrew.

Banned
As someone that hasn't played Grounded I'm going to go with the one that doesn't just dismissively asserts he is right without elaborating.

Check the thread I made Gentle Ben. I just played grounded recently. There is nothing wrong with the fidelity of my memory. Runners kill you in one hit full health and all. If they grapple you, you're done.

Unless you feel like wasting a shiv.

Gbraga

based planer

Lol, the reply is so true. So many people just think it's an easy, straight port that requires minimal effort.

Eh, I think this is kinda bullshit. I'm gladly paying the $50 they're asking, but so what a ton of work went into it? A ton of work goes into games I think are terrible and not worth even $10, what does this have to do with anything? If people were asking for this to be free, sure, work went into it and you have to pay people for working, but if they don't think it's worth $50, then they don't think it's worth $50. Consumers shouldn't have to think or care about it, they have to judge based on the content.

benny_a

Check the thread I made Gentle Ben. I just played grounded recently. There is nothing wrong with the fidelity of my memory. Runners kill you in one hit full health and all. If they grapple you, you're done.

In 15 days we know who was right and who was wrong because of the Share button and then one of you must die!

Eh, I think this is kinda bullshit. I'm gladly paying the $50 they're asking, but so what a ton of work went into it? A ton of work goes into games I think are terrible and not worth even $10, what does this have to do with anything? If people were asking for this to be free, sure, work went into it and you have to pay people for working, but if they don't think it's worth $50, then they don't think it's worth $50. Consumers shouldn't have to think or care about it, they have to judge based on the content.
Yeah, paying for effort is ridiculous reasoning. I'm sure plenty of people worked very hard on it and it required expertise to get it running at the targeted frame rate while simultaneously porting it to a relative immature SDK on wholly different platform.

Gbraga

Yeah, paying for effort is ridiculous reasoning. I'm sure plenty of people worked very hard on it and it required expertise to get it running at the targeted frame rate while simultaneously porting it to a relative immature SDK on wholly different platform.

Oh, definitely, I always recognized Corrinne Yu's talent, for example, but following her tweets about this actually made me a fan, and I love how transparent they have been about the whole thing, but was this a Beyond Remastered thread, while I'd still admire their talent and transparency, I wouldn't be interested.

And I did like that game, actually, I'm not trying to say it sucks or anything, just not enough to buy a better version of that. Not even GTA V is getting my money again (maybe when it's cheaper on a steam sale or something), I pre-ordered this because it's The Last of Us Remastered, not because of the effort it takes to make it.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

My wife watched me play TLOU for 100% of the time I played it. She generally isn't interested in games and even when she sees one that she kind of likes she doesn't watch the whole thing. I think the only other game she was around for 100% of my playthrough was RE4.

She's not a "girly girl," but she doesn't typically enjoy violence either.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
My god, you've struck a nerve. I didn't even know I wanted this till now. I selfishly wanna see even MORE retro-shops of other modern games. Great job!
This thread is chock full of greatness.

It depends, really. You're almost guaranteed death if a Runner gets anywhere near you in Grounded, but you can get lucky once in a while and survive. It's super rare with Joel's default stats, but it can happen.

But if you've upgraded your maximum health, you can endure a few more regular Runner attacks, and escape at least one grapple attack.

Top Bottom