• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'The Last of Us: Remastered' coming to PS4, July 2014, [1080p, targeting 60 fps]

lmbotiva

do we know is this is indeed an MSRP adjustment for the price? it could be gamestop and target lowering the price to stay competitive with amazon, bestbuy, toys r us and many more retailers still have the game for 60

kitzkozan

Nice if the drop to 50 is everywhere. Still think 40 is the sweet spot, but we're getting somewhere

40 is indeed the sweet spot and that's exactly what I'm gonna pay for it lol. Got it for that price thx to the E3 pre-order promo on amazon.ca. A fair price since it's essentially a PS3 game which will soon be sold for 20$ and the season's pass content (20$).

Jomjom

Banned
I also think it'll be the last one but I don't think it will go to anyone else any time soon, if it does at all. Aside from the two you mentioned, Sony usually leaves the decisions to continue franchises to the studios that made them unless it's a portable spin off.

They talked about that before release. If enemies could see the NPCs while you were sneaking around it would ruin stealth gameplay.

Well for UC, they sort of have precedent already with the Vita version. I just think it would be difficult for them to give up such a lucrative IP.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well for UC, they sort of have precedent already with the Vita version. I just think it would be difficult for them to give up such a lucrative IP.
If Golden Abyss was representative of what they would do with the series, Bend should never touch another Uncharted.

LastNac

For those who don't know, Margenau designed the falling building shootout in Uncharted 2 (I think he did the train too, can't remember), the desert in Uncharted 3, the prologue in TLoU, and is the lead gameplay designer for Uncharted 4.

You're doing the Lord's work, Robo, the Lord's work.

Jomjom

Banned
If Golden Abyss was representative of what they would do with the series, Bend should never touch another Uncharted.

Yeah I feel the same way - that handing it off would probably taint the series. It would be nice if they just gave it a really nice ending with 4 and left it. I'm just saying from Sony's perspective I think they may end up milking it and by doing that we'll probably end up with UC's version of GoW: Ascension.

It was just as good as Uncharted 1. Yes the touchscreen stuff was bad but I think they may have been pressured into using it in order to promote the Vitas features.

The last of us did really well both critically and commercially. I'm satisfied with just the first game, but I think it is more likely that sony and ND will conjure another one because that would sell. Of course I would be overjoyed if ND brings a completely new IP out of the left field like TLoU when it was announced.

I think a new IP is even more probably right now than TLoU2.
We know that NaughtyDog is already working on their next project after Uncharted4, but Druckmann and Straley are working on Uncharted4 and I don't think that anyone else would work on the next The Last Of Us, I also don't think that Druckmann and Straley get to do two projects at the same time.

So maybe they'll do another TLoU at some point, but I don't think it'll be their next project after Uncharted 4.

I think NaughtyDog is smart enough to know that a new TLoU needs to have a special story again, if you just make another one because it sold well, you'll destory the legacy of the title.
So if they come up with another interesting story they could fit in that setting, they'll do another one, but I guess that could take a while.

Jomjom

Banned

I kind of agree with that. UC1 was not that great a game. It was UC2 where the standard was really set. I mean if Sony were to continue on and assign UC5 to some other dev and it ends up being the quality of UC1, it would be a stain on the series.

I also think it'll be the last one but I don't think it will go to anyone else any time soon, if it does at all. Aside from the two you mentioned, Sony usually leaves the decisions to continue franchises to the studios that made them unless it's a portable spin off.

If Uncharted 4 shows up and sells millions, it's really hard to imagine Sony shelving the franchise. No one leaves money on the table like that in this industry.

They talked about that before release. If enemies could see the NPCs while you were sneaking around it would ruin stealth gameplay.

Yeah, but now they've had another year to work on this port. It would be nice to see those issues fixed. Make the AI smarter.

Hubb

Why the $10 pricedrop? Or is it just a limited time price for preorders?

Not the best answer, but did they ever confirm the $60 price? Could be a few reasons, either they were happy with the preorder numbers and felt like being nice and dropping $10 dollars. Highly unlikely, but it might be them throwing a bone since it doesn't seem like they'll do a PS3-PS4 upgrade. That too seems unlikely, because you think they'd make an announcement about the $10 drop then.

It could be that they weren't happy with the pre-order numbers and then they thought this would stimulate it. If that was the case I'd still think they'd announce it.

I really don't know the answer, just some thoughts.

firen

FYI: Dell has a promotion that gives you $25 gift card for pre ordering. Currently game is at $59.99 but Dell will price match Amazon.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I know is a long shot, but I hope TLOU can join 10 million club someday.

It was at 6 million months ago so it's probably around 7 million now (including digital copies). I can see it selling over 3 million on the PS4 and the PS3 version will continue to sell.

Ramrock

Banned
cFqX3Ur.png

This will be so mine!

sector4

prwxv3

Kurt Margenau on Twitter: "Played some #TLOU at 60 fps tonight for the first time (60fps cutscenes and all). Transformitive. I'm a believer. Don't think I can go back."

For those who don't know, Margenau designed the falling building shootout in Uncharted 2 (I think he did the train too, can't remember), the desert in Uncharted 3, the prologue in TLoU, and is the lead gameplay designer for Uncharted 4.

Putting the PS4 disk in the steelbook I got from the Survival Edition. My own ultimate edition that will forever be on my shelf.
https://twitter.com/neilan/status/479903979732615168

Their animation work at 60 FPS is going to melt faces.

Kurt Margenau on Twitter: "Played some #TLOU at 60 fps tonight for the first time (60fps cutscenes and all). Transformitive. I'm a believer. Don't think I can go back."

Putting the PS4 disk in the steelbook I got from the Survival Edition. My own ultimate edition that will forever be on my shelf.

So what you're really saying is we should wait till we hear more from a more reliable source? :p

TsuWave

I know is a long shot, but I hope TLOU can join 10 million club someday.

i reckon it will, its been out only one year and its at 6 million+, the remaster will bump that up quite comprehensively and by july next year, i would be surprised if its not at 10 million

While TLoU was certainly fairly zeitgeist, and it had much longer in development than an UC, I think its success is the perfect evidence that it's the people, not the brand that matter.

People will often cite UC sales as evidence that Sony would never shelve the franchise, but ND have proven their value to deliver big sellers consistently, with or without the franchises.

I hope UC4 is the end and they get back to something in TLoU's world for the follow up. And if they do, I hope Sony keeps the UC name untouched until ND want to revisit it.

I've always been of the opinion that it's much more important to establish the development team as a brand before the IP. Once a developer becomes "The ________ Team" I think the luster is gone. I don't want to see Naughty Dog working on The Last of Us 3, and Jak 7, and Uncharted 6. I want to see Naughty Dog consistently dropping trailers with "From the makers of 'These Last 3 New IPs' Comes Another New IP."

Carn82

I've always been of the opinion that it's much more important to establish the development team as a brand before the IP. Once a developer becomes "The ________ Team" I think the luster is gone. I don't want to see Naughty Dog working on The Last of Us 3, and Jak 7, and Uncharted 6. I want to see Naughty Dog consistently dropping trailers with "From the makers of 'These Last 3 New IPs" Comes Another New IP."
This.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've always been of the opinion that it's much more important to establish the development team as a brand before the IP. Once a developer becomes "The ________ Team" I think the luster is gone. I don't want to see Naughty Dog working on The Last of Us 3, and Jak 7, and Uncharted 6. I want to see Naughty Dog consistently dropping trailers with "From the makers of 'These Last 3 New IPs" Comes Another New IP."
I think we'll eventually see a TLoU 2 but I think we'll get a new IP before then since Straley and Druckmann are on Uncharted right now and 40+ people are working on another project. I doubt they'd do a sequel without them at the helm and that seems like a large team to not have a director and creative director. Spreading out sequels combined with new IPs seems like the best approach.

Agreed. I've always liked how they did a few games and moved on, I'd hate to see them milk stuff.

I've always been of the opinion that it's much more important to establish the development team as a brand before the IP. Once a developer becomes "The ________ Team" I think the luster is gone. I don't want to see Naughty Dog working on The Last of Us 3, and Jak 7, and Uncharted 6. I want to see Naughty Dog consistently dropping trailers with "From the makers of 'These Last 3 New IPs' Comes Another New IP."

It's a nice idea, but you're just setting yourself up for dissapointment.

I believe we're going to see Uncharted 4 in the fall of 2015, and TLOU2 in the fall of 2016. I do think it's possible Uncharted gets handed off to another team at that point, and ND gets to introduce another new IP.

But, I also wouldn't be shocked to see them make Uncharted 5. Maybe Sony even allows ND to expand to three projects at a time. That would allow them to keep Uncharted and TLOU in house, and also introduce a new IP on PS4.

Gray Matter

A naughty dog developer just tweeted that he played the game, 1080p 60 FPS and all.

@kurtmargenau: Played some #TLOU at 60 fps tonight for the first time (60fps cutscenes and all). Transformitive. I'm a believer. Don't think I can go back.

#Believe

Nope, the train and car chase scene was designed by Jakob Minkoff, lead designer for TLoU.

lastofus_kotakubr.jpg

Kai200X

Banned
For a guy like me who finished The Last of Us 6 times already, I wonder if I should still try the remastered version.. I mean I don't mind playing the game again in 1080p and 60 fps

RedAssedApe

Banned
Best Buy price updated to 49.99 now...yay 39.99 with GCU

For a guy like me who finished The Last of Us 6 times already, I wonder if I should still try the remastered version.. I mean I don't mind playing the game again in 1080p and 60 fps

did you play the dlc? i think a lot of people who are double-dipping are doing so because they held out on the dlc with all the rumors of it coming to ps4

Kai200X

Banned
Best Buy price updated to 49.99 now...yay 39.99 with GCU

did you play the dlc? i think a lot of people who are double-dipping are doing so because they held out on the dlc with all the rumors of it coming to ps4

Oh yeah, of course I finished "Left Behind" the day it first came out. Still, like I said, I probably wouldn't mind play it again, but I only wish the price is a little lower.

I think we'll eventually see a TLoU 2 but I think we'll get a new IP before then since Straley and Druckmann are on Uncharted right now and 40+ people are working on another project. I doubt they'd do a sequel without them at the helm and that seems like a large team to not have a director and creative director. Spreading out sequels combined with new IPs seems like the best approach.

Can they really afford to basically leave TLoU IP hanging for 3+ years without a game though?

Unless they increase their production pace, it'll be way too long without TLoU2 that the franchise's momentum may not be there anymore by the time the sequel releases.

Top Bottom