• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the store that I called literally yesterday said I can't preorder the Survival Edition now, so basically they disregarded every question I had during my phone call it seems. I asked: it appears its sold out nationwide, is that so? They said no. So you will for sure not run out if I preorder tomorrow? No sir, we will order as many as we have to.

Well today they said it indeed WAS sold out. Ah well, it's not their fault.

The BestBuy I went to was telling me the Survival Edition is only available first-come-first serve.

Lucent

I'm gonna be starting a Let's Play for the game too all going well when it releases (Part of the reason why I badly want it earlier). My channel is still pretty small though and I'm hoping this game can change things a bit

I've been asking around for advice about how to go about the commentary and would love to hear you guys' opinions on it. I know a lot of people hate let's plays but if you watch them what do you like to see in them?

Some stuff I've already taken on board is to be myself and not force anything and also to not talk when important stuff is happening like cutscenes etc.

That's pretty much what I like in Lets Play videos. Don't need a bunch of people acting like PewDiePie and stuff. I mean...he does make me laugh sometimes. But I like when people do them without going overboard and trying to act crazy just because.

If I could do a lets play of this (I don't have any capturing equipment yet), I would just basically play it like normal and react to it. Like if I had to hide and an enemy was coming close I'd be like "no..no...turn around..." lol. I mean you can get into it but yeah. I'm sure you'll do a good job. I'd like to make a Lets Play channel sometime.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
So far I guess not fellow GAFfer. Europe here and I think only the Asian PSN will offer Pre-load option.

Heyhey, we shared a thread together and I am only a fellow Gaffer like everyone else? My feelings, monky. My feelings.

:p

Frologic

My hype for the game is pretty low. I haven't read one review,preview or watched any videos. This is the way I enter games I really want to play. I'm prepared to be blown away.

Easy
Normal
Hard
Survivor

Survivor = the one and ONLY TRUE way to play TLOU

I'm playing on easy. I'm easily scared, I suck at (and generally don't like) survival horror games and I think The Last of Us is going to have my heart racing the entire time,lol. I feel that the story and experience is going to be worth cost of admission and will make the scares and stress worth it.

That's pretty much what I like in Lets Play videos. Don't need a bunch of people acting like PewDiePie and stuff. I mean...he does make me laugh sometimes. But I like when people do them without going overboard and trying to act crazy just because.

If I could do a lets play of this (I don't have any capturing equipment yet), I would just basically play it like normal and react to it. Like if I had to hide and an enemy was coming close I'd be like "no..no...turn around..." lol. I mean you can get into it but yeah. I'm sure you'll do a good job. I'd like to make a Lets Play channel sometime.

Thanks for the feedback dude, I appreciate it a lot.

That's the general idea I have in mind, I have a lot of videos on my channel now and I am constantly looking to improve and I keep changing things around to see how people react, but this is a pretty big game and I want to do it right

I usually act pretty casual but I've been told when I try to speak clearly that I lose my Irish accent and it sounds more Americanised which I really gotta stop doing lol

Magnus

I'm almost too exhausted to play. Just home from a long day of work and have so much work to go before I can crack into it again tonight. Only an hour in.

Looks like some people in here are already finished, damn! If they finished in 15-18h, it'll take me like 25+, haha.

The_Monk

Heyhey, we shared a thread together and I am only a fellow Gaffer like everyone else? My feelings, monky. My feelings.

I have mad respect for that thread and I love your Indies threads, if I say I've been playing way more indies because of you, would that mean anything for you my BROTHER GAFfer?

quaere

I don't think anyone in the US has the game yet (correct me if wrong), all the early people are Europe / ME / wherever. Most games seem to be like this, the distributors dispatch the copies to the retailers earlier overseas than in the US for whatever reason.

To those who have the game -
Yes or no - have we seen all the possible crafting items (not the parts, but stuff like heath kits, smoke bombs, etc) or are there things that haven't been revealed?

Yes or no - are there combat scenarios where there are both human and infected enemies at the same time? I could just imagine the tension

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Another 10/10 from totally gaming

"A game that is all about the story and an example of what other games should aspire to be. One of the most immersive games I have ever played. The best PS3 exclusive yet and a definite "must buy" game."

http://www.totallygn.com/ps3/the-last-of-us-review-ps3/

Yes or no - have we seen all the possible crafting items (not the parts, but stuff like heath kits, smoke bombs, etc) or are there things that haven't been revealed?

Yes or no - are there combat scenarios where there are both human and infected enemies at the same time? I could just imagine the tension

-----
Oh, and the awesome TLOU forum poster who provided the AI info and E3 area gameplay confirmed that unlike runners, human enemies notice your flashlight

If anyone answers that please use spoiler tags!

You know what, disregard my questions. I don't want to know. I can wait five more days

above JehutyRunner posted his love letter to Naughty Dog, that was their response.

2013-06-0822_24_45-netgxjw.png

I love you Neil and Ashley, oh man i love ND so much.

And an RT from Christophe Balestra too. :)

Look, I write about games at the end of the day so I have to maintain a mostly professional behaviour. But every now and then, I have a fanboy side that comes out and jumping when I get this sort of response from developers I love and respect. Naughty Dog is one of those developers.

This isn't the first time it's happened nor is it the first time it's happened with Naughty Dog either: I wrote this retrospective on them for VG247 a few years back as part of a 25th anniversary that went under the radar for most of the year and seeing it at the time being tweeted all over the place from Naughty Dog and people from the company, including Evan Wells, Christophe Balestra and Jason Rubin as well as a full on blog about from Andy Gavin was certainly one of the most proudest moments I've ever had writing about games.

What I'm trying to say is there are times where I feel lucky to be doing this. But likewise, it'll be the same at Naughty Dog. They're Sony's flagship studio and easily one of the best studios in the world right now, if not the best. They don't take what they do for granted nor do they take fans for granted. And seeing them respond to fans who go out and buy then play their game, let alone me as a games writer that is basically given a copy by Sony, is something I respect the hell out of.

But like I said, whenever this sort of thing happens and I get a response from a developer I love and respect, like Naughty Dog, I can't help but do a giddy dance. :)

Edit: Oh man, Troy Baker just replied.

Welp, I'm in tears. Thank you Johnny. This makes all the hard work worth it. I've never been more proud.

https://twitter.com/TroyBakerVA/status/343471294257438720

:')

Phreak47

Yeah I was planning on going for Hard mode from the start to make it feel more like survival. And my conservative skills didn't really come from stealth games but from the original Resident Evil games. I always ended up having a crap ton of magnum ammo at the end of the original RE after I got good at it lol. All that unused ammo in my item box.

My proudest conservationist moment ever was RE2, where I knew I wanted to save that machine gun... and I finally took it out at the right moment: the very end when the final boss creature has you trapped in the end of the train car.

Back OT: So I had predicted a metacritic score of 95 or 96, depending on the amount of lens flare. I guess there's lots of lens flare.

Pachimari

anyone worried about the difficulty about this game?
Don't be. You will die a lot. The thing is, that you will have lots of bullets and stuff to craft things you can use against enemies on Normal.

By the way, my gf thinks Ellie looks and sounds like Ellen Page.

antitrop

I sense a MGS4-Level-of-Awesome for the upcoming OT fellow GAFfer.

nothingcantstopthistrain.jpg

Which is hilarious because the OT creator just said a few hours ago that it wouldn't be an MGS4-style OT. :p

Really? The review thread for the game has 750k+ views and there is no interest?

Maybe you are being sarcastic, I am not good at detecting it :/
Your spoiler is correct.

Madridy

1st Question: I was on a media blackout, so I don't know what was revealed.

2nd Questions:
Sadly no,

Don't be. You will die a lot. The thing is, that you will have lots of bullets and stuff to craft things you can use against enemies on Normal.

So difficulty levels change the amount of supplies? I like that

What about player health and enemy health? Does that say consistent between all difficulties?

The_Monk

Which is hilarious because the OT creator just said a few hours ago that it wouldn't be an MGS4-style OT. :p

Not a problem fellow GAFfer, still hyped for this. You are still awesome, Spec Ops still awesome. Give me this game now. I want to feel the awesomeness that is the sound Design with a Headset (I only played the demo with it).

Pranay

OT Should be up soon 30-40 mins , working on it. All matireals are their with me now.

Be ready to post your impresseions as well , it will go up in OT if written properly :)

OT will be spoiler free and is kept in mind with people who have been in black out for quite a while

I don't understand why ND won't just admit that they based Ellie's design off of Ellen Page.

antitrop

Not a problem fellow GAFfer, still hyped for this. You are still awesome, Spec Ops still awesome. Give me this game now. I want to feel the awesomeness that is the sound Design with a Headset (I only played the demo with it).
If there was ever a vote for "Most Cordial GAFfer" I would expect you to win.

I don't understand why ND won't just admit that they based Ellie's design off of Ellen Page.
They didn't?

JWong

Banned

I want an Ellen and Ellie picture.

OT Should be up soon 30-40 mins , working on it. All matireals are their with me now.

Be ready to post your impresseions as well , it will go up in OT if written properly :)

OT will be spoiler free and is kept in mind with people who have been in black out for quite a while
So the OT is official thread right? (I'm still kind of a Neogaf beginner)

What is allowed to be posted or discussed there that wasn't here?

As someone who hasn't played the game yet and has avoided 99% of the spoilers, should I avoid the OT?

Pachimari

It was actually the first thing she said when she saw the game: "Oh! That's the same girl in Hard Candy that I don't like". And then she went on to watch a lot of the game.

antitrop

And an RT from Christophe Balestra too. :)

Look, I write about games at the end of the day so I have to maintain a mostly professional behaviour. But every now and then, I have a fanboy side that comes out and jumping when I get this sort of response from developers I love and respect. Naughty Dog is one of those developers.
Edit: Oh man, Troy Baker just replied.

https://twitter.com/TroyBakerVA/status/343471294257438720

:')
That open letter is fucking cool.

antitrop

As someone who hasn't played the game yet and has avoided 99% of the spoilers, should I avoid the OT?
Yes, correct.

Nothing, really. OTs are typically 7 days before release date, but obviously this one has taken a little longer than usual so this review thread was used as the interim OT. This is not common or typical.

OTs are a friendly environment for people who have not yet played the game. I think I had like 300 posts in the Bioshock Infinite OT before the game came out.

No spoilers are allowed. Everything else is the same as here. Just wait until you see the first post of an official thread. GAF is known for its OT's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom