• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.

sappyday

Naughty Dog has done a good job of not spoiling a lot of stuff. Unlike with Uncharted 3, I feel like I don't know anything that is gonna happen in TLoU.

Alrus

Curious to see which publication will give this a score that isn't considered good enough, getting a bunch of people really angry.

sflufan

Banned
"Official Playstation Magazine" giving the last huge PS3 exclusive release a 10/10? My goodness, I am shocked beyond all comprehension.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Must admit I have 0 want to play this game however this falls into a...rather large category of story driven games that im going to watch someone livestream from first to last. Cinematically it looks strong, gameplay wise not so but from a visual perspective I greatly look forward to watching someone else play it.

This game is gonna be amazing. I love the confidence they have. "Yeah go ahead and review it early because our game is fucking awesome." I am sure E3 next week has something to do with it to though.

Wynnebeck

Banned
"Official Playstation Magazine" giving the last huge PS3 exclusive release a 10/10? My goodness, I am shocked beyond all comprehension.

Are we playing this game again? OPM has given tons of high profile Playstation games average scores. Just because it's called OPM does not mean that they are shills for Sony.

Ricky_R

Must admit I have 0 want to play this game however this falls into a...rather large category of story driven games that im going to watch someone livestream from first to last. Cinematically it looks strong, gameplay wise not so but from a visual perspective I greatly look forward to watching someone else play it.

I don't even...

A part of me really hopes this happens, but then another part of me is apprehensive because uncharted 2 was just so damn good.

This can beat Uncharted 2 for me, as I thought Uncharted 2 left a lot to be desired in the narrative and villain, which is kind of a huge problem considering how cinematic and story driven it tries to be. Everything else was mostly out of this world but it was by no means perfect to me.

ymmv

Banned

Last huge PS3 exclusive?

There's GT6 and Beyond Two Souls in Q3/4 to look forward to. (Plus a bunch of lesser stuff like Puppeteer and Tales of Xilla)

Gadirok

A part of me really hopes this happens, but then another part of me is apprehensive because uncharted 2 was just so damn good.

I'm playing through it right now. It has some great pacing. Some of the gunfights are annoying and tedious though, probably because I'm playing on the harder difficulty and keep trying to switch guns up to unlock. It was much easier getting headshots in golden abyss and I was playing on the same difficulty. Don't understand why its harder to land ones in this game.

ERC198X

Banned
oh man these next two weeks are gonna be a tough wait. I need this game in my blood. When TLOU comes out I'm throwing all my real life responsibilities to the wayside and just immerse myself in this spectacle that Naughty Gods has created! Holy hell, between this and going to E3 I don't know how I'll be able to keep my sanity!

Sanctuary

If you have to compare this game to a movie, compare it to The Road and/or 28 Days Later

They aren't comparing it for it's themes, but for it's "groundbreaking achievements". Still, comparing it to Citizen Kane doesn't sound very good. That movie was the antithesis of entertainment and more of a lesson in the technical aspect of filmmaking.

I haven't been following the game very closely and I'm a little afraid to ask this, but how dynamic is the game? Is it an Uncharted style structure, with a very specific story to tell with combat arenas broken up with major scripted set pieces and cut-scenes or is it a more open game with opportunities to explore and approach situations differently?

The Boat

I have to be honest, I know how the media and the community receive AAA games like this, they're always overhyped and overrated, so despite being very interested in this game, I'll refrain from putting too much credibility in reviews and initial reactions.

Gadirok

You should see their PSASBR score. They gave it one of the lowest scores, and they gave GoW:A an 8/10.

You should look up things before jumping to assumptions.

nkarafo

Must admit I have 0 want to play this game however this falls into a...rather large category of story driven games that im going to watch someone livestream from first to last.
I'm kinda sick of story driven games my self. I just can't relate to any of the characters and i can't put myself into the game world. Especially if i have to babysit Ellen Page and listen to her chatter all the way through. So, yeah, not a game for me.

SmokyDave

I can dig that. My missus said something similar after watching the trailer. She's looking forward to watching me play it as though it were a new film rather than a game.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
People need to release that their is a demo and alot of us played it.

It is fantastic just base on that small sample.
Yep, I hadn't really been hyped for the game until I tried the demo. I only watched the reveal, a bit of gameplay, and a couple trailers. After the demo though, I pre-ordered it.

I haven't been following the game very closely and I'm a little afraid to ask this, but how dynamic is the game? Is it an Uncharted style structure, with a very specific story to tell with combat arenas broken up with major scripted set pieces and cut-scenes or is it a more open game with opportunities to explore and approach situations differently?

Watch demos. Approaches to take out rooms are varied, and A.I react situationally. Maybe I dare compare it to Demon's Souls?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
owArFcb.gif

I knew it all along.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I can dig that. My missus said something similar after watching the trailer. She's looking forward to watching me play it as though it were a new film rather than a game.

Pretty much, perhaps its being the youngest of brothers and watching siblings play but my preferred method of consumption for story driven games is to watch others play them, I find playing them sometimes quite fatiguing and that bleeds into my enjoyment of the experience. Im not saying this games mechanics are not good, I havent played it, but from the media I have been shown they dont interest me.

Hilarious times, the funny thing is that most of those guys probably agreed with the Eurogamer review after they finished the game. We can be sure that no lesson's were learned though.

UC3 was so weird. By its own merit, I'd say its a solid 8. Coming off the back of UC2 though, it felt like a 7 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom