• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us - Review Thread [Emargo up, scores in OP.]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You people with your high 90's prediction are forgetting that you have people claiming that this game will be getting a 7 and don't forget you have Jim sterling and the guy from Gamespot who said Sony will be mad with his review.
91, book it!

mindblown.png
What else could ND have in store?? Here I thought it would be some glorious and not so glorious reviews for the game tomorrow and know ND is claiming it will be a big day?? Is it "inconceivable?"

spwolf

Stats aren't hard, we all already know this, and you are just stating the obvious. Guessing Metacritic averages is just something that evolved from marketing people over valuing metadata, subjecting developers to it, and therefore it infiltrating the industry's definition of success. Guessing Metacritic score is no more arbitrary than guessing who wins an Oscar or the final four and none of those impact the guesser in a meaningful way (unless they make a real wager). It's just fun little things enthusiasts come up with. Why does this surprise you?

metacritic is pretty annoying... people get bonuses and jobs based on metacritic these days... thats crazy.

I had one friend tell me that he doesnt watch movies that are under IMDB 7.0... thats crazy...

maltrain

@Naughty_Dog
Who's ready for more #TheLastofUs news? Tomorrow will be a big day.

OMG!!!

Demo available por everyone?

PS4 version maybe?

Zukuu

Banned
The first trailes made me quite hype, but upon seeing this is just another zombie survival mash up (and yes, I cba that they are infected with shrooms, they behave like zombies), I'm not so sure anymore. Why couldn't they just have it left with humans in a hostile environment, where a gun is an actual threat and ammo beyond shortcoming. I fear it might end up like Uncharted's atrocious and enforced shooting passages, which I hated down to the core. The game would have been so much better without them.

Can't wait for actual reviews covering my points to decide whether I pick it up or not.

mindblown.png
What else could ND have in store?? Here I thought it would be some glorious and not so glorious reviews for the game tomorrow and know ND is claiming it will be a big day?? Is it "inconceivable?"

They're just referring to the reviews. Yesterday and today was multiplayer related news and tomorrow is just game review news.

@Naughty_Dog
Who's ready for more #TheLastofUs news? Tomorrow will be a big day.

OMG!!!

Demo available por everyone?

PS4 version maybe?

My thoughts:
- More MP modes?
- Demo?
- A co-op mode?
- Some kind of offline solo mode we didn't know about?
- The Last of Us movie/ tv miniseries/ web series?
- On PS4?

They're just referring to the reviews. Yesterday and today was multiplayer related news and tomorrow is just game review news.

"Big news" and reviews are two different thing. Just the use of the phrase "big news" implies something more than just the review embargo ending

Superflat

My thoughts:
- More MP modes?
- Demo?
- A co-op mode?
- Some kind of offline solo mode we didn't know about?
- The Last of Us movie/ tv miniseries/ web series?
- On PS4?

I thought it was just talking about the review embargo going up tomorrow :p

If there's actual bonus information about the game coming from ND, I'll be more than happy to hear it!

I don't see the point of Metacritic. There's no control who or which are tallied to the score. Uncharted 2 is the only game I know of that has an abnormal amount reviews it's astounding it can sit at 96. At that point, just ONE non-perfect score can bring 1 point down. Why can't MC just go for the top 50 most influential reviews and eliminate the fluff afterwards to have a more accurate comparison?

squidyj

Metascore predictions

Sorian - 100
cjtiger300 - 98
Loris146 - 97
Fancy Corndog - 97
Alchemy - 97
weekend_warrior - 97
More_Badass - 96
Eyothrie - 96
markhimself46 - 96
Tricky I Shadow - 96
Moonlight - 96
Ricky_R - 95
iNvid02 - 95
Jarmel - 95
reptilescorpio - 95
reKon - 95
Coolbgdog12 - 95
VanCityGamer - 94
GribbleGrunger - 94
Sola Scriptura - 94
Ridesh - 94
DukeBobby - 93
jacksepticeye - 93
HoJu - 93
l3lacklvlagic - 93
Badosh - 92
Vire - 92
thuway - 92
Pharmboy044 - 91
Soler - 91
Puppet Shadow - 91
Wynnebeck - 89
Andrew. - 88

Winners will receive hypothetical candy.

i'm in for 95

Gigglepoo

You people with your high 90's prediction are forgetting that you have people claiming that this game will be getting a 7 and don't forget you have Jim sterling and the guy from Gamespot who said Sony will be mad with his review.
91, book it!

I (GameSpot reviewer) said Sony would be mad if I spoke about the game before tomorrow.

I

I think it's virtually impossible to get perfect 10's across the board anymore nowadays. Nothing will ever beat Ocarina of Time or the early gen stuff, It's kind of sad really. People are fairly jaded now and there will always be the journalists that want to separate themselves from the pack.

"Big news" and reviews are two different thing. Just the use of the phrase "big news" implies something more than just the review embargo ending
ND has been working on this game for more than 3.5yrs. When you can finally see some feedback and maybe praise for all that hardwork, thats big news for ND.
Now this is speculation from someone who's prefer to be a pessimist to keep the hype down.

You know, I hadn't even read the Twitter post and was just going by a thread in another forum. The Twitter post doesn't even say "big news", just "more TLOU news". So yeah it's probably just hyping the reviews

Don't get hyped for anything else

Sorral

I threw in a preorder on Amazon a couple of days ago. Been on a media backout since last year's VGA and I haven't turned on the demo. I think I will be in for a feast not just a treat.

I don't see the point of Metacritic. There's no control who or which are tallied to the score. Uncharted 2 is the only game I know of that has an abnormal amount reviews it's astounding it can sit at 96. At that point, just ONE non-perfect score can bring 1 point down. Why can't MC just go for the top 50 most influential reviews and eliminate the fluff afterwards to have a more accurate comparison?

What you said is logical, but they won't do it as I'm sure they like the publicity, ads money, etc. From what I remember, they change reviews to a 100 scale even if they aren't to begin with. I think it is very flawed, but either way, here is how they do it from their own page.

I'm confused about this trailer....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKcwNIPiGKc

Umm....where is the gameplay?

I suppose i should just expect it to play like uncharted?

Maybe try the demo?
I personally don't think it plays anything like Uncharted. Heck, it doesn't even have a jump button. It's a lot slower and heavier and guns sound fucking amazing. That's one complaint I had with Uncharted. The guns just did not sound like real guns but in The Last of Us it's completely different.

Metascore predictions

Sorian - 100
Jawbreaker - 99
cjtiger300 - 98
Loris146 - 97
Fancy Corndog - 97
Alchemy - 97
weekend_warrior - 97
More_Badass - 96
Eyothrie - 96
markhimself46 - 96
Tricky I Shadow - 96
Moonlight - 96
Ricky_R - 95
iNvid02 - 95
Jarmel - 95
reptilescorpio - 95
reKon - 95
Coolbgdog12 - 95
squidyj - 95
VanCityGamer - 94
GribbleGrunger - 94
Sola Scriptura - 94
Ridesh - 94
DukeBobby - 93
jacksepticeye - 93
HoJu - 93
l3lacklvlagic - 93
Badosh - 92
Vire - 92
thuway - 92
Pharmboy044 - 91
Soler - 91
Puppet Shadow - 91
Wynnebeck - 89
Andrew. - 88

Winners will receive hypothetical candy.

Added myself at 99, just because.

FACE

Banned
IT'S GOING TO SCORE 150 AND BE THE GAME OF THE GENERATION, I'M SURE OF IT! THE LAST GAME I WAS THIS HYPED FOR WAS RE 4!!!

*insert gifs here*

/tricky

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Story almost as good as a Quantic Dream game?

Pre-order cancelled.

Artex

Banned
The first trailes made me quite hype, but upon seeing this is just another zombie survival mash up (and yes, I cba that they are infected with shrooms, they behave like zombies), I'm not so sure anymore. Why couldn't they just have it left with humans in a hostile environment, where a gun is an actual threat and ammo beyond shortcoming. I fear it might end up like Uncharted's atrocious and enforced shooting passages, which I hated down to the core. The game would have been so much better without them.

Can't wait for actual reviews covering my points to decide whether I pick it up or not.

Or you could, you know, read the previews which address a lot of this.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
I'm curious to see what Giant Bomb will give it. I personally tend to put a bit more weight into criticisms from the GB staff. Ultimately, I'm just excited to explore a new IP from Naughty Dog. You know it'll be 6 years this Nov. since the first Uncharted released? Crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom