• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert |OT| Beginning September 8th - 11:30/10:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeblue

I wouldn't say 'hard', but absolutely harder than I would've imagined on the most milquetoast of networks. Bodes well for the future.

That's also how I feel. The way Jeb answered that last question, Colbert could have torn him apart. He didn't sit there and let Jeb advertise himself though. Overall, between that interview and the Trump segment, I'm really happy about how the show is turning out.

Colbert was always going to be funny, there was never any doubt. The question was if he was still going to be important, and the first show bodes well.

Maengun1

I started it about 40 minutes late (watching the Trump/Oreos bit now), but I am absolutely LOVING this. It's so much more like the Report than I was expecting! I was dying during the evil amulet segment.

Loved the whole show! "Everyday People" is the perfect ending song.

I didn't see Jon Stewart, though? Was he in the audience or something?

Jeb interview was not an attack like some were thinking for some reason, but Colbert wasn't soft and Jeb pretty much did himself in if anything.

First shows are always rough but this was good out the gate so I think it'll only get better.

KHarvey16

Most hosts wouldn't have called him out on the BS answer on the W difference question. Most would've been like "oh yeah, you *are* younger. Moving on"

That's exactly what separated that interview from a slightly more serious typical late night chat. The somewhat tough question wasn't allowed to be ignored and waived away.

That's a really, really good sign.

Joe

Republicans: oh shit.....it's Colbert......on a major network.........

From today's USA Today:

And despite his Comedy Central character, he insists he's not the liberal-in-disguise people might think and is open to having guests with more than one point of view.

“I’d like conservatives to come on the show…(and) find out that the needs of that character over many years made me into an advocate that I am not. I am passionately attached to my own ideas. There are times when I agreed with my character, and it was very hard to explain that to them. It was a rare Republican who would come on the last show, and I have great confidence that is going to be over.”

He's not his character but I do expect him to be tough on both sides.

Iksenpets

Banned
Man, he phoned it in a bit in the Jeb interview, but that almost made it worse. Like, the burns became so much harsher because he was having to deliver them as subtext instead of making them explicit.

Jonm1010

Banned
Jeb interview was not an attack like some were thinking for some reason, but Colbert wasn't soft and Jeb pretty much did himself in if anything.

First shows are always rough but this was good out the gate so I think it'll only get better.

Thats sort of Colbert's angle. He walks them into the fire and they can't find a way out. Then he throws a few well timed hits they have no answer for.

He has never been a straight confrontational interviewer like Stewart or Oliver(in his few interviews).

His first question is absolutely going to be point blank asking him if he's going to run.
And his answer will likely be something like, "It's still something I am considering. I don't have anything to announce yet."

Doubt he says yes just yet. Thought I remember hearing by October 1st he'll make his decision.

Zubz

Banned
tumblr_nue6ywQiXZ1qe5ugfo3_500.gif

Someone said they were looking for this?

Great show. The opening monologue was weak and very typical of one of these shows, but from the cursed skull to the end, it was fantastic.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Looks like Jon is kinda sorta helping with the show, he's listed as an executive producer in the credits.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah, the ending segment just had Jon's face in Stephen's locker, he slapped Jimmy Fallon on the shoulder, who said "Night buddy!" and slammed shut his locker, which had Stephen's Time Magazine face in his locker door.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, pretty much. Colbert didn't try to "gotcha" him or anything. He just asked some straight forward questions, had fun with him, and tried to redirect him when he thought he wasn't getting a real answer. Basically, it was an interview where Jeb had a chance at every turn to answer to some obvious questions and improve his public image. That Jeb had a difficult time keeping up is more on Jeb than it is on Stephen.

Ha, they actually did a locker room bit. Joke continuity!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom