• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Late Show with Stephen Colbert |OT| Beginning September 8th - 11:30/10:30c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jon Stewart got an executive producing credit. Wonder if it was just for this or what? I remember Robert Smigel telling a story about how Colbert gave him a credit on the early Report eps out of respect.

Amazing how much people seemingly never watched Colbert. This was typical in the best way

yep

Jonm1010

Banned
Great show. The opening monologue was weak and very typical of one of these shows, but from the cursed skull to the end, it was fantastic.

That was my one complaint. I kinda hope he slowly moves away from the standup routine. Stand up has never been his thing and it is kinda a waste of time for him to force it simply because of adherence to old norms.

Owzers

I wouldn't say 'hard', but absolutely harder than I would've imagined on the most milquetoast of networks. Bodes well for the future.

To me they didn't seem hard as much as Jeb was awful and thus made it seem like the questions were hard.

yami4ct

Really great first show. Some bits flopped, but that'll happen when you're trying to fill a whole hour. Jeb interview was super promising. He wasn't so confrontational that Jeb would just clam up, but he didn't just let him give fluff answers and move on. It bodes really well. He should be able to actually get a variety of guests on and not scare people away while still giving meaningful interviews. I'm excited to see how he moves forward.

BFIB

That was my one complaint. I kinda hope he slowly moves away from the standup routine. Stand up has never been his thing and it is kinda a waste of time for him to force it simply because of adherence to old norms.
Agreed. I'd love 30 min of classic Colbert covering what's happening in the world the best way he knows how. Then the last 30 min the usual interviews, etc.

IronRinn

Funny that the big reveal here is Stewart as EP.

Show was good. Never gonna stay up this late on a regular basis to watch it, but I look forward to the highlights.

The sooner it dies, the better. The rest of the show was great.

What wasn't great was the commercials. I'd forgotten how many commercials network TV has... I think I'm going to get a lot of portable gaming done during future Colbert shows.

Raxus

Probably one of the most solid premieres for a late night show in a while.

Still some kinks to work out like every show but the Colbert Report experience went to good use. Colbert just needs to iron out his interviews and the late night band needs to be better integrated in the show.

Jonm1010

Banned
The only other late show I can think of that started this strong was The Colbert Report.

Colbert really is a natural for this stuff. I'd say Colbert Report started a bit stronger(hard to top "truthiness") but this is a whole other animal to tame. Insanely impressed how well he did.

Holy shit that felt really long for how much content there was. Everything was cool besides the monologue which he should just drop

He's only going to get better but man I don't think I have the patience to sit through that hour every night

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I really enjoyed the first Late Show. Both interviews were good. I do feel like he interrupts the guests a bit much but honestly its refreshing to have a late night host that isn't kissing ass and laughing hysterically.

Colbert is back baby. Love it. I didn't realize Stewart was an EP. And since Stephen brought all of his staff with him I can see us getting a more subtle Colbert Report. We need to have this in late night.

I think I'm close to being sold on the show, but I'm no longer staying up late for this after having to sit through all those commercials. DVR it is. Welcome back Stephen and I'm looking forward to some Kdot tomorrow.

Yeah, the ending segment just had Jon's face in Stephen's locker, he slapped Jimmy Fallon on the shoulder, who said "Night buddy!" and slammed shut his locker, which had Stephen's Time Magazine face in his locker door.

Damn I missed this. I'll have to catch it online.

Jonm1010

Banned
I really enjoyed the first Late Show. Both interviews were good. I do feel like he interrupts the guests a bit much but honestly its refreshing to have a late night host that isn't kissing ass and laughing hysterically.

Colbert is back baby. Love it. I didn't realize Stewart was an EP. And since Stephen brought all of his staff with him I can see us getting a more subtle Colbert Report. We need to have this in late night.

Is this confirmed? It has been something I have been wondering for a while. If so, awesome!! Show is pretty much destined to succeed with me.

Kibbles

I like Jimmy Fallon's show when I catch it but my god his Trump interview is gonna be bad just laughing at everything he says >.>

hokahey

For some reason everything involving his band made me cringe. It had a very day time talk show feel to it. I also wish he talked less during his interviews. That Bush interview was edited to hell to allot for timing. He needs to watch more tape of Dave. Ask a question and then be quiet.

On the plus side, everything else was good. He's a genuinely funny guy.

I've been a fan since Strangers with Candy. I hope we get more of that humor.

Dicer

Banned
Thoughts:

Too many fucking commercials, that better not be the norm
Colbert is fine, he is who he is and it works well
Band is meh, seems like a Hispter fuckfest.
Solid first opener, but hopefully from this point on, more content less commercial.

yami4ct

Oh wow the Late Late show guy is... bad.

He's really bland, which is a shame since his slot is a place where you can be really fun and experimental. If Craig proved anything, it's that. His interview format is really cool and fun, but the rest is just blah.

KHarvey16

It's no accident or aside that they're going out of their way to set up a cordial relationship between the two hosts. It's a clear attempt to distinguish them from their predecessors in that regard.

Thoughts:

Too many fucking commercials, that better not be the norm
Colbert is fine, he is who he is and it works well
Band is meh, seems like a Hispter fuckfest.
Solid first opener, but hopefully from this point on, more content less commercial.
It had commercials in the same places as every other show in the format.

Joe

I must be the only one on GAF who didn't like Ferguson.

He was smitten with his own whimsy throughout every episode and that lost its charm very quickly for me.

Surprised how many folks in here didn't like the band. It was kind of over the top but I don't expect them to get that funky every night.

Mii

Banned
Worst bit was cursed amulet.

Best bit was unquestionably Trump + Oreos.

Started slow but once Colbert was through intros it kicked into high gear. Great interviews.

Terrible band.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Is this confirmed? It has been something I have been wondering for a while. If so, awesome!! Show is pretty much destined to succeed with me.

I want to say I read in vanity fair or one of those entertainment mags that most if not all of his staff did move over with him. I can't be sure tho and I'm ready for bed so maybe someone else can link the article or confirm.

Sanjuro

Of course there were a ton of commercials. CBS is making big bucks tonight.

Worst bit was cursed amulet.

Best bit was unquestionably Trump + Oreos.

Started slow but once Colbert was through intros it kicked into high gear. Great interviews.

Terrible band.

The amulet was an advert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom