• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Miff

Really happy to hear that there's no slowdown on Vita.

UPS put my LE on the wrong plane :(, looks like January for me now.

Gu4n

Since the question comes up quite too often, here's a comparison between the Vita version (top) and PS3 version (bottom). Yes, the PS3 version does look nicer but I can't wait until my Vita version arrives so I can play wherever I want.

u8C2wrM.jpg

(PS: Note how Alisa channels her inner Estelle).

Dio

Banned
Since the question comes up quite too often, here's a comparison between the Vita version (top) and PS3 version (bottom). Yes, the PS3 version does look nicer but I can't wait until my Vita version arrives so I can play wherever I want.

It's also worth noting that you can touch the minimap on the Vita screen to bring it up, as well as swap on-field party characters by touching them on the right side of the screen. Extra convenience.

Thoraxes

I went this route (oh god look at the smudges from my hands on there already):

Interesting how the script seems to not be beholden to the same length or even size of the original line. That's always a good sign, though they should have pushed the balloon a bit lower.

flowsnake

I'd be interested to see if the PS3 version has better shadows than the flickery Vita ones.

Varion

Is it just me or is the soundtrack really good? I'm only at prologue but the themes are all nice. Even the town one.
It's refreshing to hear melodic tracks again after the ambient atmospheric nonsense I hear these days that tries to be like a movie soundtrack and is just boring.
The soundtracks have been getting better and better since FC, honestly. ToCS probably has my favourite of them all. The sequel's not far behind, but by the nature of it the original has more variety and therefore wins out. The battle theme, the boss themes, the perfectly fitting town themes, event themes... Everything.

So Rean's sword style is
the same as Cassius' then? That's pretty cool.
Yup.

Not sure how much you've played of the originals so spoilering if you haven't at least finished FC:
Anelace uses it, too, and Richard uses bits of it -- he learned from Cassius, but he did add his own tweaks to his swordsmanship so he's not a 'pure' Eight Leaves practitioner as such.

MikeyMike

Not the greatest looking game but it has a certain charm to it... kind of like Grandia 2 on PC.

Tried it real quick yesterday but might play a lot more once I'm done with TitS SC.

Taruranto

Bleah, why did they use the character models for the portraits rather than the artworks like in TiTs? :( They are awfuuul to look at.

Jesus I'm seriously debating double dipping for the Vita version just because I think playing the game on Vita would be a lot more easier than playing it on PS3.

Basically I've been spoiled by that instant-on thing on all my systems.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow. I sampled a few songs from the OST, and every single one of them was fantastic. Oddly enough, that has me tempted to start this before I dive into Xenoblade X.

jschreier

Jesus I'm seriously debating double dipping for the Vita version just because I think playing the game on Vita would be a lot more easier than playing it on PS3.

Basically I've been spoiled by that instant-on thing on all my systems.
I've been playing on Vita and I certainly wouldn't switch to PS3 but the loading times can be a little annoying -- it takes at least 4-5 seconds just to start each battle.

Absolutely loving this game so far. Just beat Chapter 1.

I have yet to play the TitS games on PC even though I own the first one, certainly plan of diving in once I finish Cold Steel.

You know this game takes a lot of elements from other games (share magic pool but unique character skills like in Phantasy Star 4, Mobile turn based combat system like Grandia, Sim/character development time being spent like Persona to raise links, ect) and while there isn't a ton of originality to it, it all just meshes very very well and like I said at the beginning I'm absolutely loving this game so far.

Only two nitpicks so far

1) Not all dialog is voiced and its inconsistent at times on Rean not being voiced but other characters are. I read that its just like that in the Japanese version too and XSEED wanted to actually add more vocals but they couldn't get the developer to actually do so. I really hope this changes in the second game.

2) No way to skip cut scenes from what I can tell, I had a freeze last night and while I thankfully had just saved when I went to try and fine a way to skip through some dialog I had already seen there wasn't an option available. I'm hoping either I'm missing something and you can skip dialog or it unlocks in New game + as I can absolutely see myself playing through this game again but having to go through all the dialog might get old a second time around.

Completed the prologue for Cold Steel, pretty good old fashion JRPG so far.

Thank god the combat is easy to understand, I was worried I'll have to trudge through needlessly complicated mechanics.

Aeana

Absolutely loving this game so far. Just beat Chapter 1.

I have yet to play the TitS games on PC even though I own the first one, certainly plan of diving in once I finish Cold Steel.

You know this game takes a lot of elements from other games (share magic pool but unique character skills like in Phantasy Star 4, Mobile turn based combat system like Grandia, Sim/character development time being spent like Persona to raise links, ect) and while there isn't a ton of originality to it, it all just meshes very very well and like I said at the beginning I'm absolutely loving this game so far.

Only two nitpicks so far

1) Not all dialog is voiced and its inconsistent at times on Rean not being voiced but other characters are. I read that its just like that in the Japanese version too and XSEED wanted to actually add more vocals but they couldn't get the developer to actually do so. I really hope this changes in the second game.

2) No way to skip cut scenes from what I can tell, I had a freeze last night and while I thankfully had just saved when I went to try and fine a way to skip through some dialog I had already seen there wasn't an option available. I'm hoping either I'm missing something and you can skip dialog or it unlocks in New game + as I can absolutely see myself playing through this game again but having to go through all the dialog might get old a second time around.

Hold the cancel button during scenes to fast forward.

max_505

JrVtibN.jpg

So is Sara the new Schera? I like that.

Bladenic

I need to find the theme that plays during the battle during that battle during the first field test or whatever it's called, because that was my favorite theme so far. The music is leaving a much stronger first impression than FC.

It's amazing how much impact the ability to skip battle animations has on a game's pacing. I actually like the combat now that I don't have to sit around praying for animations and enemy moves to stop.

Shizuka

It's amazing how much impact the ability to skip battle animations has on a game's pacing. I actually like the combat now that I don't have to sit around praying for animations and enemy moves to stop.

I wish there was an option that'd let me disable it completely instead of having to press Start every single time.

Gu4n

I need to find the theme that plays during the battle during that battle during the first field test or whatever it's called, because that was my favorite theme so far. The music is leaving a much stronger first impression than FC.
The music in FC is more in line with previous The Legend of Heroes instalments whereas by the time Cold Steel originally came out, Falcom has had ten years of defining the sound of the Trails series. But yes, that song is amazing.

I'm into Chapter 1 at the moment, really enjoying the game so far. My only issue is that Rean had voice acting for the prologue but nothing after. And then random lines don't have voice acting from other characters, and not just the ones that are in parenthesis.

Varion

I just want to make sure I got this right; Morning bonding points won't transfer over to later afternoon bonding points?
Contrary to what the system text message say when the system first becomes available, they do carry over to the evening. What they don't carry over to is the next free day.

So, say, chapter 1 you have 2 points in the morning. If you use neither of them, you'll get an additional one in the evening for 3 in total. But if you go to bed without using them all, THEN they'll be lost forever. There's no real incentive to not use them during the day unless you really don't like any of the characters available, as in the evening of chapter 1's free day for instance there are only two events available at all (so you'd end up wasting one), but yeah, it is possible.

I wrote it right in the manual text and the help section of the notebook, but I made a misleading TL error that would make you think otherwise in that first explanation. Sorry for the confusion, that one's all on me.

Contrary to what the system text message say when the system first becomes available, they do carry over to the evening. What they don't carry over to is the next free day.

So, say, chapter 1 you have 2 points in the morning. If you use neither of them, you'll get an additional one in the evening for 3 in total. But if you go to bed without using them all, THEN they'll be lost forever. There's no real incentive to not use them during the day unless you really don't like any of the characters available, as in the evening of chapter 1's free day for instance there are only two events available at all (so you'd end up wasting one), but yeah, it is possible.

I wrote it right in the manual text and the help section of the notebook, but I made a misleading TL error that would make you think otherwise in that first explanation. Sorry for the confusion, that one's all on me.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification.

Taruranto

Does this Alisa chick get better. Because everything about her screams BAD ANIME. Also all the ladies in this game have huge knockers now.

Jusis and Machias interactions are so heavily handled they kinda seem like a parody at times.

Does this Alisa chick get better. Because everything about her screams BAD ANIME..

Alisa and Rean's interactions in chapter 1 do feel like something that fell out of a light novel.
On the first day of school, the main character who knows a special sword school accidentally gropes blonde girl with hidden backstory who plays the tsundere.
Never heard that one before.

But it's already gotten better from there.

Does this Alisa chick get better. Because everything about her screams BAD ANIME. Also all the ladies in this game have huge knockers now.

Jusis and Machias interactions are so heavily handled they kinda seem like a parody at times.

Yeah a few aspects is very uhh does appear to take inspiration from generic light novel tropes and cliches.

Xenoflare

Yeah....... bad anime for sure.

At first I thought Alisa was fine since she didn't go full bad anime
in the first scene where she bumps into Rean, boy I was wrong.

It's just not a very good impression yet I can imagine late game Class VII being way better

But then why bother with the one note versions of them in the first place? People who can't register better than that won't care either way.

Got this for my GF for Christmas. She watched me play a bit of FC and enjoyed it, so I hope she'll like this one too.

I wouldn't have thought to get it if it wasn't for GAF, so thanks! We'll be joining you guys tomorrow.

aibaby

Neo Member
Hey, quick question, I pre-ordered the Lionheart edition from Amazon, but as of this moment, it's still not yet shipped, which I'm attributing to them not having stock since it's now out of stock. Is there any hope for this? Amazon still hasn't communicated anything tome about it. Was wondering if anyone knows or has experienced something like this before.

Messaged Amazon, and they finally got back, getting my copy Tues or Wed, they upgraded it to one day shipping and gave me a 10$ promotional credit. Pretty awesome of them!

Past Chapter one!

I thought the school setting and persona knock off stuff was going to bother me but its honestly done in a very clever way and I am beyond hooked

And yes the characters do eventually grow deeper but it happens slowly. End of chapter one really nailed me into it though

Im in Love bros!

Also... That victory theme is fucking catchy!!! I find myself just jamming out for a couple extra seconds after every fight lol

Gu4n

Yes. She actually melts faster than Machias and becomes a reliable member of the group. I quickly came to like her.

TR_

He's definitely not outclassed and has his own niches.

There's no reason to use him in the next game. He's literally the most useless character in the game. In sen 2, his craft attacks are status aliments and stats down but none of those work on bosses and regular battles aren't even that hard even on nightmare. His best support craft is the 50% heal along with ailments but there an artes that heals everyone to full health along with ailments that covers the whole map. He has high ATS stat which is tied to Alisa but it isn't that high either and Alisa can help regen CP. Emma has the highest ATS stat so there isn't really a point of using him as a damage dealer either.

Please someone tell me it's ok to buy this digitally. I have a bunch of psn money and I honestly can't wait for it to be delivered. Also family is over and they have taken up the TVs so playing on the vita would be ideal. Convince me guys and gals.

Xenoflare

Please someone tell me it's ok to buy this digitally. I have a bunch of psn money and I honestly can't wait for it to be delivered. Also family is over and they have taken up the TVs so playing on the vita would be ideal. Convince me guys and gals.

EB fucked up my preorder so I went digital.

Since I'm in Canada it was $10 cheaper for me. If you are in the U.S then I don't think you can take advantage of that.

It's $50 for the regular edition and $40 for digital in my region.

Bladenic

Not to be negative on the Xseed gods but I noticed an error in chapter 1. Alisa says "I hadn't considered that" but the text says "consider."

Anyway I think I may be nearing the climax of chapter 1 but I'm already at almost 10 hours. LOVING the game now. Also CP seems much easier to acquire in this game. I rarely used crafts in SC because I had this like annoying habit of saving all the CP for bosses or 200 CP critical S-crafts for bosses, strong enemies, or the off chance I ran into a shining Pom. But here im using crafts much more often.

Also was Alisa's Flamberge craft called the same thing in JP? Cuz isn't Flamberge a type of blade? Doesn't make sense to me but I dunno.

Top Bottom