• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Jeffrey

cold steel is a 90 hour game where 70 of the hours is you talking to the same npcs after every cutscene to learn about their life lol.

People have been recommending this and it never set in what that would mean until I realized where some of the hidden quests are and fuck me, there's no way I could follow that advice! You'd literally end up playing for 100 hours. :p

There's a great guide on GameFAQs that's nearly entirely spoiler free. Everyone use that. :p

Talking to every NPC every time is a big part of my Trails enjoyment. I'd still do it even if there's no hidden quest to be found.

(I finished Cold Steel in 102 hours.)

zakujanai

Talking to every NPC every time is a big part of my Trails enjoyment. I'd still do it even if there's no hidden quest to be found.

It's a huge part of what I love about the games too, the extra level of insight into people's lives. It should be a choice though, it's OK to not want to meticulously follow every npc's story. Unfortunately that does mean you'll miss some items or quests.

My first play took 129 hours and I didn't once feel like it was a chore.

Korigama

It's a huge part of what I love about the games too, the extra level of insight into people's lives. It should be a choice though, it's OK to not want to meticulously follow every npc's story. Unfortunately that does mean you'll miss some items or quests.

My first play took 129 hours and I didn't once feel like it was a chore.
About 167 hours on my first run, but I also spent a lot of time just fighting things. I actually lamented that the game was almost over, even knowing that the sequel was only a month away back when I finally did clear it the first time.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
uuggh...

I missed a treasure chest..... somewhere?!? Well, and I didn't scan every enemy...

Detection Quartz is your friend.

God, in my NG+ run to get that I was always thinking in the back of my mind. "Did I miss one? I hope not..." Checking every map about three or four times. Then it popped and I was relieved.

Eusis

Man, with 2 out I'd rather just focus on a good save export (easier it seems with the Shining Pom bait) and getting major useful items and most quests. Save those shenanigans for if I have the luxury to replay on PS3 in the future (preferably after things start to get hazy) or something.

Korigama

God, in my NG+ run to get that I was always thinking in the back of my mind. "Did I miss one? I hope not..." Then it popped and I was relieved.
This was most definitely me last night (I wasn't even going to bother going for the other trophies needed for the Platinum if I had missed it).

Some Nobody

I talk to a lot of NPCs because their dialogue changes so much its like following a story, but a hidden quest in Chapter 2 required me to visit a place I literally would never have gone back to because there wasn't much to it the first time around. We showed up, had a brief conversation and left. There's no way I would've ever thought that's where the missing quest was.

Then in Chapter 3 a dude was just randomly behind a building. Like, LMAO. I feel like this is what people who don't like quest markers want, and I also feel like ya'll are nuts. :D

But anyway, I'm about to dive back into this 'cause I wanna finish Ch. 3 before the day's out if possible.

Urgh. I wanted to get Tomb Raider but now that 2's out I might just crack and get it instead next month. >_<

Eusis

Then in Chapter 3 a dude was just randomly behind a building. Like, LMAO. I feel like this is what people who don't like quest markers want, and I also feel like ya'll are nuts. :D
Nah, most of us would want it to be intuitive and never locked out due to progress. This just sounds like the madness that sometimes shows up in JRPGs.

varkuriru

Maaan... just finished the last floor of the old schoolhouse. Thanks to the poster who mentioned the Moebius and Chrono Burst strat with S-crafts. That helped a ton.

Dat "prize" you get for completing it - pretty awesome.

duckroll

Is it just me or are the battles in Cold Steel much lengthier than TitS and balanced in an.... odd way? I'm playing on Normal. I feel that in general I don't do as much damage as I should, enemies deal enough damage that my characters are often in significant danger, but never enough to ever outright wipe the party, so even regular battles feel like a battle of attrition between chipping away at the enemy and healing. Seems a bit off and less fun than what I'm used to from Falcom...

PK Gaming

You're still pretty early in the game, so it's to be expected

But overall, it's very, very easy to make any of your characters snowball

Just pick a (or several) characters and just pump them full of strength. Either via weapon upgrades or +attack quartz

zakujanai

God, in my NG+ run to get that I was always thinking in the back of my mind. "Did I miss one? I hope not..." Checking every map about three or four times. Then it popped and I was relieved.

In my ng+ I did miss one. Third time was the charm for me.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
ai8Fd61.jpg

*sigh of relief*

Should have had this in my second run, but nooooo.

Taking a rest tonight...
football starts tonight

Will start 2 on Friday.

Is it just me or are the battles in Cold Steel much lengthier than TitS and balanced in an.... odd way? I'm playing on Normal. I feel that in general I don't do as much damage as I should, enemies deal enough damage that my characters are often in significant danger, but never enough to ever outright wipe the party, so even regular battles feel like a battle of attrition between chipping away at the enemy and healing. Seems a bit off and less fun than what I'm used to from Falcom...

The trick is to SPAM crafts and unbalance enemies for those team-up/link attacks, you have almost infinite CP anyway, especially with Rean's Master Quartz. Most random battles on normal were very one sided affairs for me. Maybe it's different in the very beghining, I don't remember.

evilalien

whats the best way to use shining poms?

I forget if 'idle' party members get exp in this game.

Support members traveling with you will get a level from poms, but members not in your current party will get nothing. The best way to use the baits is to wait until the last dungeon since you will be able to have the most members with you and then use them in the first floor of the old schoolhouse once you are getting very little exp from fights.

Eusis

The trick is to SPAM crafts and unbalance enemies for those team-up/link attacks, you have almost infinite CP anyway, especially with Rean's Master Quartz. Most random battles on normal were very one sided affairs for me. Maybe it's different in the very beghining, I don't remember.
The beginning's pretty easy too if you know what crafts to abuse. Rean's Motivate gives everyone more CP, and Elliot's regenerates a good chunk of HP while boosting defense. I jumped back in, sorta forgot about that, and got wrecked. The follow battles I used those and hadn't died since or even been in serious threat of dying.

Though that first time was partially god damn status effects too. Well, there's items to buy to mitigate those, as usual.
whats the best way to use shining poms?

I forget if 'idle' party members get exp in this game.
Like the last post said, save it for the end of the game. You'd have everyone with you, and since you're ONLY going to get a single level up from them period it's better to do it when there is nothing else left to effectively level with.

LeonSPBR

Started this last Friday and I'm loving it. Fun game, I just finished the mid terms exame, and it's so fun just talk to the NPCs.

duckroll

Almost 20 hours in now. Towards the end of Chapter 2. This really is TitS FC all over again. It's literally exactly the same formula. They even make tongue in cheek references to how it's the same shit that Bracers do! Lol.

Jeffrey

Nord is the common complaint for lengthy running around, but Alisa's joint got quite a few long truding along the maps just to talk to someone and get teleported back to town lol.

I do love this place storywise though.

And first 'game over' in this playthrough against
C.
Forgot how easily you can get boned if you get fainted in this game.

Made some progress during the weekend, currently in chapter 5.
Teleporting/running saves a lot of time, thank god for those.
How far would you say I am percentage wise at the chapter 5 old schoolhouse quest?
I've been doing all the optional quests and spending all my bonding points, I'm assuming there's more extra stuff but I'll never be done with the game if I worry about that lol.

Jeffrey

Made some progress during the weekend, currently in chapter 5.
Teleporting/running saves a lot of time, thank god for those.
How far would you say I am percentage wise at the chapter 5 old schoolhouse quest?
I've been doing all the optional quests and spending all my bonding points, I'm assuming there's more extra stuff but I'll never be done with the game if I worry about that lol.

There are
chapters total.

Eusis

Almost 20 hours in now. Towards the end of Chapter 2. This really is TitS FC all over again. It's literally exactly the same formula. They even make tongue in cheek references to how it's the same shit that Bracers do! Lol.
Going by that little bit we saw at the start
I bet Olivier got nostalgic. Even though it was only like a year.

Jeffrey

you know... i almost kinda wish they copied persona more and just used anime portraits for dialogue.

The art is really good based off the on the map talking heads freaking about treasure every 2 min.

No clue why they decided to use the ps2 ass texture faces. They've used anime faces in the past, and pretty much all ys games too.

you know... i almost kinda wish they copied persona more and just used anime portraits for dialogue.

The art is really good based off the on the map talking heads freaking about treasure every 2 min.

No clue why they decided to use the ps2 ass texture faces. They've used anime faces in the past, and pretty much all ys games too.

I'd rather see a consitent display between the models , the models during cutscenes and those during portraits.
The 2d portraits in Tits were used to add flavor to the 2d Sprites something you can't do as well with 3D models . Heck considering how the world is fully in 3D now ( no more of those can't turn the camera areas ) , there was no reason to keep 2D portraits.

Also do you really remember PS2 model faces ? because Cold steel is not in the same league at ALL

Jeffrey

I'd rather see a consitent display between the models , the models during cutscenes and those during portraits.
The 2d portraits in Tits were used to add flavor to the 2d Sprites something you can't do as well with 3D models . Heck considering how the world is fully in 3D now ( no more of those can't turn the camera areas ) , there was no reason to keep 2D portraits.

Also do you really remember PS2 model faces ? because Cold steel is not in the same league at ALL

hmmm true. at the very least FF games had better faces.

duckroll

Cold Steel is really an interesting effort from Falcom. Parts of it feel so Persona but without the tedium of it being the entire game and the rest of it feels so Trails. Overall though, it's not surprising that the first game wasn't super well recieved given how it is clear that it is a longass introduction to the next game. FC style.

Glad I have CS2 sitting in the box waiting!

Yeah, I mentioned the same thing on the previous page, every time I enter the menu it reminds me that the models don't do the art justice, shame they didn't go with portraits.

duckroll

Okay, I noticed there are casual clothes DLC on the Playstation Store for CS. Are these unlocks for stuff I can get in the game, or are they exclusively DLC? Are there other costumes which are unlockable or purchasable in the game?

evilalien

Okay, I noticed there are casual clothes DLC on the Playstation Store for CS. Are these unlocks for stuff I can get in the game, or are they exclusively DLC? Are there other costumes which are unlockable or purchasable in the game?

They are exclusive DLC, and can be used in part 2 as well. There are some costumes you can unlock in game, mostly via the NG+ shop. They are outfits that you will see your party in at some point in the game.

duckroll

They are exclusive DLC, and can be used in part 2 as well. There are some costumes you can unlock in game, mostly via the NG+ shop. They are outfits that you will see your party in at some point in the game.

When you say NG+ shop, do you mean I have to play NG+ to get them, or can I buy them in the NG+ menu for my clear save and use them in CS2? Are there no costumes in the first run of the game proper?

evilalien

When you say NG+ shop, do you mean I have to play NG+ to get them, or can I buy them in the NG+ menu for my clear save and use them in CS2? Are there no costumes in the first run of the game proper?

You can get winter/summer uniforms on a first playthrough. The rest are NG+ only. By NG+ shop I mean the thing that pops up when you start a NG+ run that lets you spend 5 points per completed playthrough on various options. No in-game unlockable costumes carry over to CS2, but they are obtainable via the NG+ shop in that game.

You can get winter/summer uniforms on a first playthrough. The rest are NG+ only. By NG+ shop I mean the thing that pops up when you start a NG+ run that lets you spend 5 points per completed playthrough on various options. No in-game unlockable costumes carry over to CS2, but they are obtainable via the NG+ shop in that game.
Aren't the swimsuits and pajamas unlockable in a first playthrough?

KmA

oH MY GOD I finally beat this fucking game. I have a headache that last chapter just kept... going. I mean it was interesting but I need a BREAK. I think I'm gonna wait a few months before I jump into the second game.

Finalow

Maaan... just finished the last floor of the old schoolhouse. Thanks to the poster who mentioned the Moebius and Chrono Burst strat with S-crafts. That helped a ton.
those 2 things are really broken, even when not used together. they pretty much carried me through the last bosses. (Moebius needs to be at level 5 or it's pretty useless, btw)

speaking of last bosses, I've read a lot of people complaining about how awful and random the last boss is on nightmare and yes, I got that impression the first time I tried to win the fight and failed, but then the game literally tells you what craft you should use to win, I more or less spammed that and won on my second try. I got probably lucky with the counters but if you use the proper strategy
>buffing before using the special rush attack, and then use the 90 CP craft with the buff still active<
I don't think the fight will require too many retries even with bad luck. I probably won't bother with a second run and the platinum at this point though.
overall I enjoyed the game, but I had quite a few issues with it and I can see why some people called it the weakest entry in the series. as a start of a trilogy, FC was definitely better.

duckroll

I'm in Chapter 4 now, about to leave on the Field Study. I think I actually missed a Red Rose chapter in Chapter 3. Am I doomed? Should I just delete my saves and sell both games? :(

Psxphile

I'm in Chapter 4 now, about to leave on the Field Study. I think I actually missed a Red Rose chapter in Chapter 3. Am I doomed? Should I just delete my saves and sell both games? :(

Apparently missing books will show up as Curios in Micht's pawn shop at some point.

duckroll

Thanks, managed to get it from the pawn shop for 4000 mira. I also decided to finally exploit Elliot's eggcellent cooking skills and made over 50k mira just making 99 omelets over and over. I'm surprised the economy of Trista didn't collapse, but I guess they could just be stocking all those Warm Egg Soups for export to the Summer Festival! Outsource catering?! Maybe!

I don't think I'll have problems with money ever again...

Thanks, managed to get it from the pawn shop for 4000 mira. I also decided to finally exploit Elliot's eggcellent cooking skills and made over 50k mira just making 99 omelets over and over. I'm surprised the economy of Trista didn't collapse, but I guess they could just be stocking all those Warm Egg Soups for export to the Summer Festival! Outsource catering?! Maybe!

I don't think I'll have problems with money ever again...

One of the only issues I ever had with the game was that money seemed real hard to come by outside of that trick. Especially if you want to keep your guys up to date with the best gear. I found myself only upgrading weapons and armor when I absolutely had to.

I also drowned Erebonia in delicious soup as you did though. I swear, Elliot could have started his own company and had offices in Hiemdallr selling frozen soup around the world.

Top Bottom