• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel |OT| Class Warfare

Aeana

Oh, yeah. Something people may not know if they're just coming from the Trails in the Sky games: if you hold cancel during story scenes, it speeds everything up. Falcom's been putting that in all of their games since Ys 7.

Oh, yeah. Something people may not know if they're just coming from the Trails in the Sky games: if you hold cancel during story scenes, it speeds everything up. Falcom's been putting that in all of their games since Ys 7.
Awesome. I wish this had been around when I restarted FC because I had missed Carnelia 4 and was playing on a single save.

Speaking of which, if the collectibles and side quests are as missable as in Sky, people should really make frequent and differentiated saves.

Dio

Banned
Hell yeah, I'm already loving the vibe here. The dub is way, WAY better than I was expecting, even with a few merely 'okay' voices. In the entrance ceremony right now.

How good is this series compared to the trails games? Is the story as on point? I'm sure gameplay is fine/similar right?

This is still the one of the Trails games. If you mean the Trails in the Sky games, it's just as good if not better.
Story is probably weaker in the first entry but stronger in the second. Gameplay is similar but improved.

So is there a guide or some how to get 100% story content? I don't care about the plat but I do want to get all of whatever the replacement for bp is

Shizuka

So is there a guide or some how to get 100% story content? I don't care about the plat but I do want to get all of whatever the replacement for bp is

You can follow the guide Saphirax posted and just make sure to do all quests (required, optional and hidden), not to mention getting the right answers.

This is still the one of the Trails games. If you mean the Trails in the Sky games, it's just as good if not better.
Story is probably weaker in the first entry but stronger in the second. Gameplay is similar but improved.
My bad, trails in the sky is what I meant. That's good to hear I guess.

Kvik

Amazon has sold out of its PS3 copies :-\

Probably a good thing, since I haven't even finished with TITS FC.

Shizuka

Another tip: beware of consecutive boss battles. Don't use everything you have on your first battle, just to be surprised of another battle right after and be caught unprepared.

StereoVsn

So I accidentally ordered Lioneheart edition for Vita at BestBuy as I found out when it came in today. Originally was going to get PS3. Is a bit of slow down the only major thing that's different?

Varion

About to go into it. Any word of advice, other than if I don't want to get spoiled, don't read ANYTHING (manuals included)?
Just take your time and enjoy it, really. At the very least try and talk to the academy NPCs even if you don't talk to any of the others, because they've had way more effort put into them and are much more memorable generally. They even have profiles in your notebook with cute portraits that get added to as the game goes on.

Also, one of the major causes of people having to reload earlier saves in the TitS games, the books, are a LOT easier to get this time, because you can get ones you've missed from the pawn shop in Trista. So if you miss one or two due to forgetting to talk to an NPC, it's not the end of the world. Just as well, too, because the novels are actually pretty cool (albeit really long.) There's still missable quests and missable AP (game's equivalent of BP,) though, but unless you really have to do everything in your first run, you're better not obsessing over that kind of stuff.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Got home with my copy not to long ago! Dunno how good or not this'll be but peeps seem positive about it! Plus its seemingly a traditional rpg on a console both of which are pleasing to me!

Is there a trick to attacking enemies on the field? I feel I'm just smacking the shit out of them trying to get behind until they stun/daze.

Shizuka

Is there a trick to attacking enemies on the field? I feel I'm just smacking the shit out of them trying to get behind until they stun/daze.

Smack, get slightly around it, smack, get closer to the back, smack, get to the back, smack, get it stunned/dazed, enter battle. If you managed to get them stunned/dazed before attacking the back properly, go for it and seize the opportunity.

Eusis

Is there a max AP reward in Cold Steel II like there is for BP in FC -> SC? Would be nice to not have to sweat that as much and only aim for an all-sidequests-done run.

Varion

Is there a max AP reward in Cold Steel II like there is for BP in FC -> SC? Would be nice to not have to sweat that as much and only aim for an all-sidequests-done run.
Ther isn't one for max AP, but there is one for the highest rank (A0). Which gives you a slight bit of leeway -- the max AP you can get in the game is 440, but the amount you need for the max rank is 430. So missing a couple of quests isn't going to ruin your run. It's still fairly tight, though.

Smack, get slightly around it, smack, get closer to the back, smack, get to the back, smack, get it stunned/dazed, enter battle. If you managed to get them stunned/dazed before attacking the back properly, go for it and seize the opportunity.

That's what I'm doing, it still feels like I'm just smacking the shit out of it though lol

I need a haze quart stat :C

Shizuka

That's what I'm doing, it still feels like I'm just smacking the shit out of it though lol

I need a haze quart stat :C

Don't spam the attack button, hit it once and keep trying to get to the back of the monster. If you spam the button or time it wrong, the enemy will attack you despite you hitting it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Amazon sold out their vita copies. smh.

LE? The Vita standard edition looks like it's the only version they do have in stock.

Interesting that it managed to sell out, I wonder if it's doing better than expected or Amazon just didn't get many copies.

All four are still up at Gamestop and Bestbuy. Looks like Amazon just didn't get many copies.

Aeana

Run around in a circle, around the enemy. It will eventually stop chasing for a second, which is your chance to get behind it, whack it, and get into an advantageous strike.

Finished the prologue, already can tell I'm going to really like this. Can already see the "tropes" along with the foundation that'll lead to the characters being far more then their tropes would initially reveal.

Aeana

Hm, they seem to have backported the Cold Steel 2 'feature' of not cutting off opening a treasure chest while an active voice is playing. Excellent.

Eusis

Hearing about the LE selling out, I'm guessing either XSEED was more conservative there, or for better or worse people are on average WAY more excited for this than they were Trails in the Sky. There can be a bit of neophilia in gaming, and in anime circles as well I believe, so you could have a lot of them seeing a NEWER Japanese game come over and want it, whereas they're cold on something older coming over. Hopefully this has that same effect on enough people of making them want to go back and play Trails in the Sky. Or they'll just pine for Evo, whichever.

EDIT: Or Amazon just lowballed, whichever.

JPS Kai

Finally started chapter 4. I was hoping to get this review finished this morning, but
the story is finally turning into political and military warfare. Figured I'd see how things start to play out before I turn to the pen.

Aeana

Finally started chapter 4. I was hoping to get this review finished this morning, but
the story is finally turning into political and military warfare. Figured I'd see how things start to play out before I turn to the pen.

I'm glad you've waited until you're that far into the game to finish the review. It wasn't until the end of chapter 3/a bit into 4 that I really started to have positive feelings about the game when I first played it.

JPS Kai

I'm glad you've waited until you're that far into the game to finish the review. It wasn't until the end of chapter 3/a bit into 4 that I really started to have positive feelings about the game when I first played it.

I agree. Chapter 3 is when the links and combinations start clicking together if only because enemies start to become damage sponges. Some of the healing crafts restore a huge amount of CP (especially Alisa's) and can certainly help pull off an S-Craft in a pinch.

Top Bottom