• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (PC) |OT| Enter Erebonia

they are absurdly simplified. Quartz now directly give you spells. So choosing quartz is just pickign which one gives you the stats or spells you want, instead of mixing and matching to get the right amounts for the spells you need, you just slot the best shit.
This is kinda sad to me. :(

obeast

Looks like someone on the Steam forums already has a Clear Save Game up for those that wanted Infinite Bonding points from the get-go. I would recommend it for anyone playing their first time, so you can get all of the dialogue/relationships you can eat from the start without concerning yourself with the stupid Bonding Points limit.

As someone who just bought this (I played through the prologue last night) but hasn't played the game before, I'm suddenly torn between continuing and restarting with these "infinite bonding points." I assume the developers included the system for a reason - can anyone give me a good reason *not* to use the super-save?

Will I start overleveled, or screw up the natural flow of character development, or anything like that?

BTW, seems like a nice port.

This is kinda sad to me. :(
me too man...I put TitS system right up there with FFVII materia when it comes to best systems for building characters. Finding just the right combination of spells and stats was super satisfying.
As someone who just bought this (I played through the prologue last night) but hasn't played the game before, I'm suddenly torn between continuing and restarting with these "infinite bonding points." I assume the developers included the system for a reason - can anyone give me a good reason *not* to use the super-save?

Will I start overleveled, or screw up the natural flow of character development, or anything like that?

BTW, seems like a nice port.
You will not actually mess anything up. New Game + works like tales of games (if you ever played those). You get X number of points to import things into new game +. This includes costumes, cheats, your items and stats etc. Choose to only import max bonding points when you start new game + and boom, you are essentially playing a standard playthrough, except you wont miss any bonding scenes.

EDIT: Though I'm pretty sure you will get the filled out notebook imported no matter what though...so dont read through it if you havent already played the game because itll be full of spoilers.

Now to try and turn that NG+ save into NG+++ so I can import all the costumes and max bonding points.

ooh shit I take my edit back

AF2AD65FFE52AF6C058534CE4C822E7BBF64F7D2

And someone already beat out the point usage maximum. Fucking perfect.

Though I remember from doing something similar for my friend on PS3, the playtime carried over regardless. Looked like he had played 87 hours when he played 1 lol

me too man...I put TitS system right up there with FFVII materia when it comes to best systems for building characters. Finding just the right combination of spells and stats was super satisfying.

it was neat when you had a small party, not so good when juggling huge teams of people swapping in and out, which the CS games have a ton of.

obeast

You will not actually mess anything up. New Game + works like tales of games (if you ever played those). You get X number of points to import things into new game +. This includes costumes, cheats, your items and stats etc. Choose to only import max bonding points when you start new game + and boom, you are essentially playing a standard playthrough, except you wont miss any bonding scenes.

Great, thanks. I think I'll restart, then. I generally try to play games in their "original" state my first time through, but trying to figure out whose scenes I want to see sounds stressful.

Just to confirm, though - is there any argument at all that the game works better when you can't "bond" with everyone? I'm not going to start the game being superfriends with everyone in a way that doesn't make narrative sense, right? Or miss an approach to the narrative that some people prefer (getting closer to only a few of your companions)?

These are probably silly questions, as I haven't gotten far enough into the game to really understand how that system works.

Psxphile

EDIT: Though I'm pretty sure you will get the filled out notebook imported no matter what though...so dont read through it if you havent already played the game because itll be full of spoilers.

Now to try and turn that NG+ save into NG+++ so I can import all the costumes and max bonding points.

ooh shit I take my edit back

And someone already beat out the point usage maximum. Fucking perfect.

Though I remember from doing something similar for my friend on PS3, the playtime carried over regardless. Looked like he had played 87 hours when he played 1 lol

That shot comes from someone else who hacked using Cheat Engine. The real save file only has 5 points because it's a first-run completion (it was speed-runned, not a converted PS3 save). I think that should be made apparent. Also, if you only carry over costumes and unlimited Bond points the only two stats that carry over in the notebook are Interrupted Arts and Playtime hours (according to that save file thread). Both are well below what's necessary to trigger achievements (if this port is the same as PS3/VITA's handing of trophies it's going to be tied to the notebook, if the quota is already met the achievement won't pop).

I recently bought this game for my PS3 but a month ago my PS3 and all of my games were stolen. I was so mad because I didn't get far into this game. Now I'm gonna have to grab it from GOG. I hope the second game comes out on PC.

Great, thanks. I think I'll restart, then. I generally try to play games in their "original" state my first time through, but trying to figure out whose scenes I want to see sounds stressful.

Just to confirm, though - is there any argument at all that the game works better when you can't "bond" with everyone? I'm not going to start the game being superfriends with everyone in a way that doesn't make narrative sense, right? Or miss an approach to the narrative that some people prefer (getting closer to only a few of your companions)?

These are probably silly questions, as I haven't gotten far enough into the game to really understand how that system works.
As someone who has played and beaten all this. The bonding points feels like a painful limitation to being able to see everything in 1 run. I would actually recommend bypassing it for a first playthrough unless you had every intention of playing twice.

That shot comes from someone else who hacked using Cheat Engine. The real save file only has 5 points because it's a first-run completion (it was speed-runned, not a converted PS3 save). I think that should be made apparent. Also, if you only carry over costumes and unlimited Bond points the only two stats that carry over in the notebook are Interrupted Arts and Playtime hours (according to that save file thread). Both are well below what's necessary to trigger achievements (if this port is the same as PS3/VITA's handing of trophies it's going to be tied to the notebook, if the quota is already met the achievement won't pop).

Yea I knew all that, I'm just rush posting at work. I'll probably make a tutorial for cheat engine when I get home for this hack. Its very easy to do.

Erheller

Just to confirm, though - is there any argument at all that the game works better when you can't "bond" with everyone?

If you spend all your time hanging out with Sara, you won't have to waste as much time bonding with the inferior options.

No, the bond points system is dumb

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How crazy are hard and nightmare?

Nightmare should really be considered the default difficulty level for this game.

Really? Wow, I'll keep that in mind.

I only played TiTS FC and chose Hard(or the difficulty above default) and felt it was a mistake the more I played. Thankfully retrying battles when defeated would lower the difficulty down a notch(just that fight). Thus I spent so many encounters clearly disadvantaged until retry when the balance suddenly felt fair and appreciable, and it was pretty irritating.

Really need extra clarification if Cold Steel is really too braindead or easy on anything but Nightmare here. I prefer highest difficulty normally but FC is one exclusion.

Psxphile

Yea I knew all that, I'm just rush posting at work. I'll probably make a tutorial for cheat engine when I get home for this hack. Its very easy to do.

Sorry, just seemed like people might have conflated the two if no one said anything.
Also, still can't find that damn save folder. I don't even have a User folder in my User folder.

Sorry, just seemed like people might have conflated the two if no one said anything.
Also, still can't find that damn save folder. I don't even have a User folder in my User folder.

It's not called user, it's whatever username you are using on that PC. ie user/psxphile

Took me a second too, it's in Users -> [Windows user name] -> Saved Games (appears below Pictures, doesn't have a normal folder icon for me in Win10)

fuzaco

Just finished the prologue. Mixed feelings so far.

- I don't really like the 3D graphics, especially the portraits in the chatboxes. Takes away a lot of personality from the characters.
- Talking about characters, they all seem pretty cliche so far (same with the setting). I'm sure this will change, but they haven't captured me yet (unlike Estelle and Joshua, who I loved from the first moment).
- Most of the voices are good, but there are a few who sound bad. Every time Alisa speaks, I just want to mute the voices.
- I don't mind the quartz system being simplified, because I never put too much time into it anyway (always played on normal), but I can see why it bothers others.
- I was surprised to see
Oliver appear so early. It's so weird to hear his voice after 3 other games. Not really what I imagined.
- The PC port is great.
- Battle system is great, I like most of the changes they made compared to TitS. Preferred the isometric view though, it was easier to see stuff.
- Music is good as well.

Overall I like it, the prologue went by really fast, but it didn't really catch me yet. But I'm sure that will change fast as I play the game.

Chaos17

Agreed. I actually prefer English dub for this game. Especially with all the English VAs already did a top job for SenI/II on PS3.

Also it is somewhat amusing seeing weebs crying about the lack of JP dub in Steam Community forums.

I'm not a weeb, I'm an european who prefer dual audio choice because it's normal in Europe to have that choice to have different languages in our games in general. Never hurt to have lot of options just like the ones Durante made for the port.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
they are absurdly simplified. Quartz now directly give you spells. So choosing quartz is just pickign which one gives you the stats or spells you want, instead of mixing and matching to get the right amounts for the spells you need, you just slot the best shit.

Unpopular opinion maybe but I hated the quartz system in FC and SC. I would just trial and error the higher level gems to get the spells I wanted and it was always kinda tedious. Granted I played on easy so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Unpopular opinion maybe but I hated the quartz system in FC and SC. I would just trial and error the higher level gems to get the spells I wanted and it was always kinda tedious. Granted I played on easy so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Honestly same, I still haven't finished FC because of how slow the general gameplay is and the needless complexity of the quartz system.

Mivey

The bracer notebook tells you the needed elememts for every spell. Each quartz has some elements it adds. The slots are divided into lines. I don't see how thats "trial and error"
A good caster has just one line, so everything stacks up.
Especially FC is really tame about this, imo. I am playing SC right now and that one is way more demanding, not that I am complaining.

With a modern interface and some quality of life improvements it could be better, but yeah it was really tedious any time you were changing party members or doing a lot of changes at once. And most of the minutiae you were dealing with had little practical importance, it needed some streamlining. Cold Steel's solution has its own flaws, but I didn't miss the old system.

kromeo

I've seen a few people commenting on the game being easy, is hard a reasonable difficulty?
I'm guessing you can't change it one you've started?

its not even a hope, they announced it initially with the PC release. There is 5000 additional voiced lines in this version.

They had originally wanted to do the same for the console version, but falcom wouldnt go back and edit the code to let them so they werent able to. So they brought the voice actors back in for the PC release and voiced 5k lines since they had control of the code to do it.

Nice. I missed this bit of news, looks I'll be double dipping when I can so that I've got it for whenever I decide to do another playthrough.

Wrote this in the Steam thread about the dub:

It's really good.

Agreed, I really like the dub.

The Wart

There's no reason for it to have been trial and error... Did you not know about the lists in the bracer notebook? That part wasn't tutorialized very well, unfortunately.

As far as I'm concerned the TitS magic system is the only good system of its kind because it's the only one that actually forces you to make non-trivial decisions. Though, yeah, changing parties was a nightmare.

Nyoro SF

I've seen a few people commenting on the game being easy, is hard a reasonable difficulty?
I'm guessing you can't change it one you've started?

Normal is a bit sleepwalk territory. If you want some challenge, Hard is the way to go. Nightmare is a grindfest where you basically have to make sure you've hit the area's level cap and that your gear and quartz are all very much properly assigned.

Generally how I play Trails games is that I minimize the amount of regular battles I do and do low level boss attempts on Normal. I find this to be the most fun and efficient way for me to play since the Trails games offer me the freedom of fighting when I choose.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
There's no reason for it to have been trial and error... Did you not know about the lists in the bracer notebook? That part wasn't tutorialized very well, unfortunately.

As far as I'm concerned the TitS magic system is the only good system of its kind because it's the only one that actually forces you to make non-trivial decisions. Though, yeah, changing parties was a nightmare.

Yeah, it definitely isn't needlessly complex, all the information is laid out for you, it's just a matter of taking advantage of it. I appreciated having a system that wasn't dumbed down to the point of basically being "put the square peg in the square hole."

Complexity...? It is quite literally just stacking numbers. Let's not make things up.
Complexity is a poor choice of words on my part. My point was that having to check another separate menu sheet to see exactly what magic I'm trying to give my characters is annoying and is a massively outdated system that is much more annoying if your like me and have a hard time sitting down to put a lot of time in FC since the combat is so slow and visually uninteresting.

eLBkLYG.png

"Estelle, you didn't even crack open your Bracer Notebook, did you?"

The Wart

Complexity is a poor choice of words on my part. My point was that having to check another separate menu sheet to see exactly what magic I'm trying to give my characters is annoying and is a massively outdated system that is much more annoying if your like me and have a hard time sitting down to put a lot of time in FC since the combat is so slow and visually uninteresting.

But that's purely a QoL issue, doesn't really have anything to do with the system itself...

Cyframe

The quartz system in previous games didn't give any notable benefits to line separation. Someone like Agate was locked out of higher level spells because he had too many lines. In Cold Steel each separated line allows you to add a status quartz, so someone like Emma could only have one status quartz (because she has a single line) while someone like Fie could have several(because she has mutiple lines). I wouldn't call this system simplified because it adds true diversity to the different arcus units that benefit physically based characters.

The Wart

UI and quality of life are a huge part of how a system functions.

Maybe we're using a different definition of "system", but I'm referring to the rules defining the choices the player can make, and the consequences those choices have for gameplay. The complaint regarding having to flip back and forth between orbment equipment screens and the bracer notebook isn't about the system in that sense.

Obviously I'm not saying that UI does not impact how people interact with systems, because that would be like tautologically false. My point was that the previous poster's complaint could have been addressed via UI changes without changing what I am referring to as "the system", and that might have both satisfied him and those of us who prefer TitS's orbment system to CS's.

The Wart

The quartz system in previous games didn't give any notable benefits to line separation. Someone like Agate was locked out of higher level spells because he had too many lines. In Cold Steel each separated line allows you to add a status quartz, so someone like Emma could only have one status quartz (because she has a single line) while someone like Fie could have several(because she has mutiple lines). I wouldn't call this system simplified because it adds true diversity to the different arcus units that benefit physically based characters.

That's an interesting point, but I don't see how it adds diversity. It simply changes having multiple lines from a negative trait to a positive trait. In other words, it increases build possibilities for characters with more lines and reduces them for those with less.

PK Gaming

The characters were specifically designed around those line limitations in mind. Agate and Zin had trash lines, but top class crafts and dealt huge damage. Olivier's crafts were niche, but he had one line, etc.

It's actually something I think the earlier games did better; the orbment setups made the characters feel more unique.

Squire

Banned
The characters were specifically designed around those line limitations in mind. Agate and Zin had trash lines, but top class crafts and dealt huge damage. Olivier's crafts were niche, but he had one line, etc.

It's actually something I think the earlier games did better; the orbment setups made the characters feel more unique.

The characterization definitely carried over from the story into a characters actual kit. I do think CS2 does a bit of this too though, with
the adult characters
especially.

The accessibility and speed of CS combat are worth the traid for me though.

And as an aside, I think delay/impede is a smart thing for any turn-based game to lean into.

PK Gaming

The characterization definitely carried over from the story into a characters actual kit. I do think CS2 does a bit of this too though, with
the adult characters
especially.

The accessibility and speed of CS combat are worth the traid for me though.

And as an aside, I think delay/impede is a smart thing for any turn-based game to lean into.

I definitely prefer CS's set up from a gameplay perspective. Nothing quite matches the feeling of excitement you get when discovering a powerful quartz, and CS2 has bit of this too with the
legendary quartz.
Characters ironically feel more unique in practice in the sense that there are more kinds of Quartz, and you often have to choose who gets what (compared to Sky, which is more standardized with its distribution). You'll usually have that one character who has all of the amazing offensive arts, your domination user, your delay king, etc.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
eLBkLYG.png

"Estelle, you didn't even crack open your Bracer Notebook, did you?"

Played through the first game a while back and might've learned the system then but a couple years gap made me forget. Started up SC and figured I recalled it all, eh w/e.

Thoraxes

Oh neat, the only thing keeping me from 4k was the DOF. As my only compromises (everything else is on the max setting), I turned the DOF toggle off and set the MSAA to 2x and i'm at like 4k 80 FPS even on my ~3-year old build.

Good shit.

Squire

Banned
I definitely prefer CS's set up from a gameplay perspective. Nothing quite matches the feeling of excitement you get when discovering a powerful quartz, and CS2 has bit of this too with the
legendary quartz.
Characters ironically feel more unique in practice in the sense that there are more kinds of Quartz, and you often have to choose who gets what (compared to Sky, which is more standardized with its distribution). You'll usually have that one character who has all of the amazing offensive arts, your domination user, your delay king, etc.

Evasion Princess, etc.

It's much more fun to hone in on the key strength of a character and use the right quartz to jack it up as far as possible in CS.

StereoVsn

How does the NG+ save actually load? I placed the file(s) in the ED8 directory under users\name\saved games\falcom\ed8, but the game does not detect that anything is there. I must be missing something fairly simple. Never tried NG+ on my OG Vita playthrough, but isnt it supposed to load from cleared save?

Edit: NM, save file was missing the pic.

Massicot

The game still doesn't see my DSR resolutions for some reason :/

Edit: Maybe it's because my resolutions are 16:10. Can't wait to replace this monitor.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Played through the prologue and messed around the school afterwards. Mixed feelings so far. I find the game to be kind of "uninviting," for lack of a better term. The setting and poor first impression of the characters is probably the main reason for that.

God, this "why no Japanese audio XGREED?!!!!!11!!11!!!" bitchmoaning I keep seeing sums up why I will never be able to take anti-dub people seriously. So bloody obnoxious and incapable of comprehending facts. Special shoutout to the bullshitter spreading fake-news that the 50% new dubbed lines were already voiced in Japanese and that XSEED was cutting corners on PS3.

While we're at it, we should be playing the game with Japanese text. Original creator's vision and intent, after all.

Top Bottom