• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT2| It's 98 All Over Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Korok seeds are so well done. Not only are they a worthwhile reward that keeps you invested in exploring as much as possible, the actual mini puzzles are so varied and fun to seek out. I love the fact that you can earn them in such varied ways. Most games, including previous Zelda games, place such collection quests behind identical tasks that eventually become tedious. I haven't had the problem with Korok seeds at all.

The three tiers of puzzles keep the game interesting

Micro Puzzles - Korok Seeds, these fill the world up with little puzzles here and there, are generally easy, quick, and just give a reason for some pieces of scenery.

Regular Puzzles - Shrines, there are less of these than the major puzzles, but more than Korok seeds, and they fill one room with one gimmick. They're generally pretty fast, but not as quick as Korok puzzles, and they also serve as warp points, so you always want to check one out if for no other reason than to act as a "check point" during exploration in case you want to take a break and go somewhere else for awhile and return to exploring that area later

Large puzzles - These are the four main dungeons of the game. These serve as larger, more complicated puzzles that mix various gimmicks together, and can take several hours to complete from start to finish (not necessarily from entering the dungeon, but the build up to it is also part of the dungeon). These give the player an ultimate goal to achieve, so they aren't just wandering around aimlessly.

It's really, really good game design

Joqu

Yeah, I thought Vah Ruta was weak. I'm loving BotW and its reception is fully deserved, but how it handles dungeons isn't scratching that particular Zelda itch for me. Great for this game, but I do hope we aren't stuck in this formula for the next games now.

Same with the weapon breaking thing. Very well done in this, but I would much prefer it be Breath of the Wild's thing instead of Zelda's new thing. I'd be way more ok with it long-term if you'd keep broken weapons with a way to repair them (and an option to store them) or a way to upgrade regular weapons to something permanent. And I do miss dungeon weapons, getting all your runes at the start isn't nearly as satisfying imo.

So I'm really curious how they'll proceed the series from this, especially with all the praise.

They all follow the same sort of pattern. It gets kind of easy to spot them once you know where they usually are. It's gotten to the point where I can generally pin point where one is even if I'm looking at the area from a decent distance.

Someone I think wrote a mini-guide on what to look out for, but I can't find it.

hm I think I've got a decent handle on what to look for too, but there's no way I'd find all of them without any outside help in the end. Surely you'd end up missing some at the end that'd be impossible to track down on your own? Can't say I'm fond of that.

Fliesen

you guys, i feel really dumb - i'm going for the 2nd dungeon (fire mountain area) and i can't figure out how to free that Goron from behind the reddish rubble.

There's no cannon pointing at the rubble.
The rubble isn't affected by bombs or my hammer.
The rubble isn't magnetic, nor can i timestop it.

Please just gimme a hint. I keep going back there, wasting arrows and fire prot potions and literally hitting my head against the wall ... :p

KHlover

Banned
Yeah, I thought Vah Ruta was weak. I'm loving BotW and its reception is fully deserved, but how it handles dungeons isn't scratching that particular Zelda itch for me. Great for this game, but I do hope we aren't stuck in this formula for the next games now.

Same with the weapon breaking thing. Very well done in this, but I would much prefer it be Breath of the Wild's thing instead of Zelda's new thing. I'd be way more ok with it long-term if you'd keep broken weapons with a way to repair them (and an option to store them) or a way to upgrade regular weapons to something permanent. And I do miss dungeon weapons, getting all your runes at the start isn't nearly as satisfying imo.

So I'm really curious how they'll proceed the series from this, especially with all the praise.

hm I think I've got a decent handle on what to look for too, but there's no way I'd find all of them without any outside help in the end. Surely you'd end up missing some at the end that'd be impossible to track down on your own? Can't say I'm fond of that.

That would honestly ruin the system for me. The only reason I'm not annoyed by the weapon degradation is that I don't have to worry about repairing them.

In any game where I have to repair weapons before being able to use them again I've modded that aspect out of the game.

Xbro

you guys, i feel really dumb - i'm going for the 2nd dungeon (fire mountain area) and i can't figure out how to free that Goron from behind the reddish rubble.

Please just gimme a hint. I keep going back there, wasting arrows and fire prot potions and literally hitting my head against the wall ... :p

Inspect the cannons more closely.

So apparently there was a Twitch Streamer today who was playing BOTW and fighting the final boss.

A blood moon happened and he revived at full health.

How can something be both terrible and amazing at the same time. Because that's terrible. And also amazing.

D_psipher

This damn game...was looking out over a bridge and this random NPC crossing the bridge stopped to tell me not to jump. That my life will get better.

13ruce

Banned

you were close with the cannon part now look for a switch;)....

bomblord1

Banned

You can get named weapons that are repairable by completing parts of the main story.

KarmaCow

There's a lever next to each cannon.

Crayolan

Go check the nearest cannon again.

Thud

Try the cannon, but shoot mid motion.

Busaiku

It's the cannon you're thinking of.
You can blow up bombs at any time.

Fliesen

Inspect the cannons more closely.

i know how to fire them, if that's what you mean, but i guess i'll give it another shot. (heh)

my puns are on fire.

OOOOOOH i totally get where you guys are going with this. I must've been a little inaccurate with trying tho interact with the lever so i didnt figure out that i could. Many thanks!

There's a lever near each cannon.

bomblord1

Banned
This damn game...was looking out over a bridge and this random NPC crossing the bridge stopped to tell me not to jump. That my life will get better.

These details are absolutely insane it's like they really took the time to think of everything. Stuff like this is what sets it apart from other open world games.

KHlover

Banned

The cannon actually is aiming at the rubble - for a certain amount of time, that is.

Joqu

That would honestly ruin the system for me. The only reason I'm not annoyed by the weapon degradation is that I don't have to worry about repairing them.

This isn't how BotW is intended to be played, but I grow really attached to my weapons and I would like a way to keep them around that doesn't involve backtracking to the area I got one last time is all.

I'm not really saying you'd have to worry about the broken weapon thing. As far as I'm concerned you'd just toss it in its broken state to get rid of it if you don't intend on keeping it around. I'm looking at it as a completely optional thing. But I get the appeal to the current system, I'm just trying to think of something that'd be more to my personal preferences.

A store that'd let me buy any weapon I've had in my possession before would work too for example. Hm.
You can get named weapons that are repairable by completing parts of the main story.

I know you can, actually. Although it's more of a forging thing with the ones I've come across . Works fine except they aren't really the weapons I want to keep around so far >>

Yeah sure. I know I need to rotate it to get up the rail first. Rotate again but then I need to climb so the fire extinguished

Think about it the other way - you know that you can't climb or the fire goes out. So you've got to figure out how to rotate the map and when in order for you to get up there by just walking.

dickroach

so is there a post-game?
I've got all four beasts, I've got the Master Sword... should I just go and head to the caslte?

Red

What the heck does this button in Hyrule castle do. The one in the Guard chambers.

It looks like the pattern on the floor with the two torches. And the torches seem maybe like they would be a puzzle. But nothing changes when I press the button.
Please help.

Also, are there really
inescapable death traps
in this place, or am I missing something in this hallway with the falling gate?

edit: Ah, cryonis, my old friend.

Stalwart

These details are absolutely insane it's like they really took the time to think of everything. Stuff like this is what sets it apart from other open world games.

They really did a great job with tying a bunch of previously done elements together and improving upon it

tci

I am visiting Hyrule Castle to look around a bit, and on the top the framerate is atrocious. Like barely 20+ outside close to the top (Wii U). Personally it is close to unplayable. If there have been encounters here, I would not be able to do anything.

When I asked Impa straight up told me it was on her left asscheek and Paya freaked out lol. She didn't say that when I first arrived at Kakariko, so maybe it's because I've done all the memories or something like that?

Hahah whaaaaat it's awesome that things like that can change.

This isn't how BotW is intended to be played, but I grow really attached to my weapons and I would like a way to keep them around that doesn't involve backtracking to the area I got one last time is all.

I'm not really saying you'd have to worry about the broken weapon thing. As far as I'm concerned you'd just toss it in its broken state to get rid of it if you don't intend on keeping it around. I'm looking at it as a completely optional thing. But I get the appeal to the current system, I'm just trying to think of something that'd be more to my personal preferences.

A store that'd let me buy any weapon I've had in my possession before would work too for example. Hm.

There are no weapons that are one time only in this game. You'll always have a way to get more, so even if you get attached, it's not like it's gone forever.

ekim

Think about it the other way - you know that you can't climb or the fire goes out. So you've got to figure out how to rotate the map and when in order for you to get up there by just walking.

Yeah I just got. I was stupid. Now just to find a way to get the fire thingies out.

Joqu

Funny how so many people end up at Vah Ruta first. I guess the game does push you to the east at first, but it's subtle about it. Pretty clever.

There are no weapons that are one time only in this game. You'll always have a way to get more, so even if you get attached, it's not like it's gone forever.

I'm fully aware of that, but I don't really enjoy the process of getting more. Just feel like I should have some sort of centralized shortcut once I've discovered a weapon if that makes any sense.

How are people reliably taking out Skywatchers? Can't seem to get a lock on to
shield parry.

I just avoid them or shoot them down. Then again I've never tried shooting them down with anything but ancient arrows so maybe that's not feasible.

The ones patrolling on the approach to
Vah Rudania
, I just found some metal boxes and used magnesis to smack them out of the sky.

Fliesen

YOU HIT THE LEVERS WITH YOUR HAMMER!...

Jesus, this area is ridiculously easier when you don't miss that crucial piece of information.

I killed those fire arrow shooting lizards with my bow, before ...

on the hills surrounding Karikaro (sp?) village, there is a plate in the ground with a rounded indentation in them middle that looks like maybe you would put a ball in it. Does anyone know what to do with that?

Is the Rito story quest line literally just
talk to the elder
go to the
flight range
then you're in the dungeon? Seems really underwhelming compared to the lead up to the Zora and Gerudo dungeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom