• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

McNum said:
Also, (boss spoiler)
Phantom Ganon
down! I used to dread that boss until I found out a crippling weakness of its first phase attack.
See the Triforce symbols along the edge of the platform? Plant yourself on one of them and he can't hit you. At all. Unhorse him at your own pace, then.
In the N64 version, sometimes the electricity goes over those parts, too. It really sucks when you have little hearts. :(

BY2K said:
How does Boss Challenge and Boss Gauntlet Mode works.

The Master Quest version sounds fucking hardcore.
Oh boy. Imagine Morpha. One hit kills right there.

PKrockin

Even Master Quest Gauntlet sounds somewhat doable given you're forced to beat all the bosses at least 3 times in the remake alone to even access it.

Oh wait, you don't get any recovery between bosses? Never mind. That's kind of a cheap way to increase difficulty... throw a dozen bosses at you in a row with no real differences from the first three times you fought them besides having to restart everything if you get hit?

Chopper

I just defeated
Phantom Ganon
after a monster sesh between work shifts. I can't believe I can remember almost everything about it, having not played for well over 5 years. Even down to which trees contain Gold Skulltullas. Nintendo have done a beautiful job with this...

BY2K

Membero Americo
PKrockin said:
Even Master Quest Gauntlet sounds somewhat doable given you're forced to beat all the bosses at least 3 times in the remake alone to even access it.

Oh wait, you don't get any recovery between bosses? Never mind. That's kind of a cheap way to increase difficulty... throw a dozen bosses at you in a row with no real differences from the first three times you fought them besides having to restart everything if you get hit?

Boss Gauntlet is an endurance mode, it makes sense that you don't get recovery between bosses.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dreamcast2 said:

Okay, hold the fuck up now. Look, I had a pretty good feeling that there was little chance OoT 3DS was gonna get the deluge perfect 10s that the original did, due to various reasons like some people thinking it's comparatively primitive to recent Zeldas, or others that belong to the too cool for school crowd that would ding the game just because. But the GS and Screw Attack reviewers are just being assholes. Gonna pm Evilore with a request to ban those sites from now on. Berb.

Teknoman

richisawesome said:
Have you played Majora's Mask? Get to the middle of a dungeon, and then try leaving the game for a couple of hours. You will be completely, utterly lost when you get back to it. You will be sucked.

Best dungeons ever though. <3 stone tower temple

jVRkc.png

The entire game was a whole other level of weird. Guess it fits...alternate dimension(?) and all.

Oblivion said:
Gonna pm Evilore with a request to ban those sites from now on. Berb.
Hope you're not serious...any sort of remake that receives the same or higher score as its fore bearer would set a really bad precedent. People should play the original.

neoism

Truth101 said:
Yeah you should be able to buy it at Midnight

The gamespot review is crap, gamespot is crap.
really I called mine and they said they don't stock games but on Tuesday... WTF

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Got me an early copy of the game today. Really enjoying it. The 3D feels great. I love being able to go through dungeons I've been through before, but in 3D with better textures.

BY2K said:
Just wait until you get to Master Quest.
As easy as the main quest was, I found Master Quest to be even easier. I felt like the temples and dungeons took half the time they previously did, and I'm not exactly slow at going through OoT considering I've beaten it at least a dozen times over several platforms.

The main thing that disappointed me the most with Master Quest, though, was the way everything was rearranged; it didn't feel too creative or like it provided any challenge. :( This was several years ago, though, so I wonder how I'll feel about it in modern times.

ascully

I love the Zelda games and OOT is the only one I have not played at all (never even watched footage of it). It's like I am getting a brand new installment this week so excited.

Gravijah

ascully said:
I love the Zelda games and OOT is the only one I have not played at all (never even watched footage of it). It's like I am getting a brand new installment this week so excited.

Wow! You're in for a treat.

Randomizer

Dreamcast2 said:

WTF? Ok so this guy does not know what the hell he is talking about! The music wasn't ported over it was completely redone but they wanted to retain the exact same sound so they made it sound identical with a high bitrate and I can't believe he mentions that shit Zelda Re-orchestrated those guys are terrible. Another mistake he said you can now use the analog for spin attack, you could always use the analog stick to preform a spin attack in OOT. His major complaint is that it isn't a portable experience, well if you want some shitty throw away 10 minute burst games I would sell your 3DS now and buy a fucking iPhone because handheld gaming has been about big long games since the Gameboy with only a few games fitting the other description. I hate people with this mentality, I always have and always will do most of my handheld gaming at home so the bigger and longer the game, the better.

So it's a better experience to play a sub 20fps game with muddy textures on the big screen? OOT looks like shit on my 40" 1080p TV why the fuck would I choose that over this clearly superior version. I'm OK with them not giving it 10/10 but to say that people should fuck it and not buy it or even rent is nonsensical. There is no way a website can give a game of this calibre such a scathing review they are clearly trolling for hits.

ascully said:

Holyshit I wish I were you. If there was any game that I could have wiped from my memory and play it afresh it would be this.

Disguises

ascully said:
I'm so jealous. I wish I could erase all memory of this game and enjoy it from scratch again! Enjoy! :)

Ulairi

Banned
Screwattack is another one who thinks that handheld gaming should be a diversion and not suited for "real" games. They've been corrupted by iOS. Get that shit out of here.

Ketch

Oblivion said:
Okay, hold the fuck up now. Look, I had a pretty good feeling that there was little chance OoT 3DS was gonna get the deluge perfect 10s that the original did, due to various reasons like some people thinking it's comparatively primitive to recent Zeldas, or others that belong to the too cool for school crowd that would ding the game just because. But the GS and Screw Attack reviewers are just being assholes. Gonna pm Evilore with a request to ban those sites from now on. Berb.

Maybe my sarcasm detector is broken, but that Gamespot video review was absolutely glowing.

I just called my Gamestop to see if they were doing a midnight launch and the guy said that they didn't even get them in yet. Whats the word on Walmart's having them for tonight?

neoism

BY2K said:
This. Screwattack is the only review I've seen that says to F' It.
They're only doing for hits.... I quit reading review completely anyway 4 or so years ago. This is a MUST buy if you have a 3DS. In fact its the only reason.

EDIT OMG FUUUCKKK YES... I called another dum-mart... Their stocking it tonight at 12:01... lolI swear if that mofo lied to me <;/

also I haven't been so annoyed by street dates in a long time. Why do they exist. WHY...

JazzmanZ

Can't wait to get this game tomorrow, I've only gotten as far as the 3rd dungeon in the original, so a lot of this is going to be a new experience to me.

Branson

Lol. Went to walmart to see if they are going to put it out at midnight and the woman said that they are going to put it out on the 20th. I said well it releases tomorrow the 19th and the girl says she thought she saw a Zelda game come in but for 360, I said, well, Zelda is nintendo only and it's for 3ds. Wonderful.

I need this game! I hope I can find it tomorrow somewhere...some of the stories in here have me worried!

Wow I called walmart and they said sorry games come out on tuesdays.. Bestbuy better have their shit together.

neoism

Branson said:
Lol. Went to walmart to see if they are going to put it out at midnight and the woman said that they are going to put it out on the 20th. I said well it releases tomorrow the 19th and the girl says she thought she saw a Zelda game come in but for 360, I said, well, Zelda is nintendo only and it's for 3ds. Wonderful.
yeah it is so sad how they know nothing... :/

Futureman

Truth101 said:
Maybe for a game that isn't Ocarina.

Gorgeous new visuals help make The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D the definitive version of an enduring classic.

yea, score sounds like it should be higher, but whatever. I don't think reviews are going to turn anyone off this game.

Truth101 said:
Maybe for a game that isn't Ocarina.
It's an enhanced port of an old game with little new stuff at full price. It's going to be hard for some to justify a 10 for example, so 8.5 is really alright when you think about it. It's only Screwattack's review that is utter nonsense.

Meier

Oblivion said:
Gamespot (woops) says it's the definitive version.. but gives it an 8.5. Lulz.

Gorgeous new visuals help make The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D the definitive version of an enduring classic.

Meier said:
Gamespot says it's the definitive version.. but gives it an 8.5. Lulz.

Makes sense to me, it's not a new game, nor is it a complete remake. And some of its gameplay features are out-dated compared to modern games. 8.5 is a very great score for an enhanced port of a 13 year old game.

PumpkinPie said:
I feel bad about this but I actually prefer playing without the 3D, the game plays a lot smoother.
Don't. I'm generally impressed with the 3DS's 3D but find it detracts from the experience here. Losing AA is too big of a trade-off.

Oblivion said:
lol. But seriously the GS review is perfectly fine. Very fair and balanced considering they could have done MUCH more with this remake. Hell, I think the visual update to Mario 64 DS was cooler and that was on even simpler hardware.

Meier

I am still pretty shocked that Amazon didn't drop the price or offer any sort of incentive... Buy.com has it for $34.99 right now so I reported it. I hope they match. Kinda too lazy to bother to cancel since the nearest Kmart is 60 miles away.

Truth101

Banned
evilromero said:
lol. But seriously the GS review is perfectly fine. Very fair and balanced considering they could have done MUCH more with this remake. Hell, I think the visual update to Mario 64 DS was cooler and that was on even simpler hardware.

Mario 64 DS was a downgrade though.

Truth101 said:
Mario 64 DS was a downgrade though.
In many ways yes, I agree, but I appreciated the new characters and the redone models and environments. It looked updated despite not having the resolution or clarity of the original. Plus it had a bunch of cool mini-games and multiplayer modes.

olimpia84

lol at that Gamespot review. They can seriously go fuck themselves, I mean are they that much in need of extra hits for their site? First Zelda TP and now Zelda OoT 3D? Give me a break :lol

Dartastic

This thread really makes me want to listen to a good version of the Dark World theme from LttP orchestrated. Does anyone know where to find a really good version of it, performed by an orchestra? Thanks!

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I had to get the game through Amazon because I didn't think I could get to a store on Sunday. I'll be gone all day tomorrow, so it turns out I was probably right. I won't get it until Monday or Tuesday, so I hope I can still get the CD.

Top Bottom