• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D |OT| of |OoT|

The Lamp

Randomizer said:
So that misconception still exists with the non-gamer masses?

The more and more time goes by, the more and more I think that Nintendo was insane for allowing their brands to get so confused (3DS/Wii U) among the masses. They should have just named this handheld something different entirely like how Sony named the PSP2 the Vita.

This thread is making it very difficult to resist a 3DS/OoT combo, though...

PKrockin

Using the BS 50-100 scale review sites use, 85 seems fair enough. I mean, it's really a great game, but the graphics could be better, the sound hasn't been touched at all, and it's an old, old game that has seen more than its share of rereleases.

Yay Amazon!

Scheduled For Early Delivery On:
Monday, 06/20/2011, by 10:30 A.M. (by end of day for residential deliveries)
Originally Scheduled For Delivery On:
Tuesday, 06/21/2011, by 3:00 P.M. (by end of day for residential deliveries)

hamchan

olimpia84 said:
lol at that Gamespot review. They can seriously go fuck themselves, I mean are they that much in need of extra hits for their site? First Zelda TP and now Zelda OoT 3D? Give me a break :lol
Jeff was definitely not fishing for hits when he gave that score to TP. I'd probably give TP an 8.8 too.

Darryl

Banned
The Lamp said:
The more and more time goes by, the more and more I think that Nintendo was insane for allowing their brands to get so confused (3DS/Wii U) among the masses. They should have just named this handheld something different entirely like how Sony named the PSP2 the Vita.

They could've atleast called it the Super Wii, or the DS Advance. Just adding a 3 and a U doesn't do enough in itself to make people think it's a different product.

snesfreak

Banned
I hope UPS doesn't take all damn day Monday, I want that CD.
Really tempted to just walk to K-Mart tomorrow and get it.
If I still lived near a Wal-Mart I'd probably be there right now waiting to get it :lol.

Darryl said:
They could've atleast called it the Super Wii, or the DS Advance. Just adding a 3 and a U doesn't do enough in itself to make people think it's a different product.
Playing devil's advocate, I like how the 3DS name is a play on it being the third DS.

snesfreak said:
I hope UPS doesn't take all damn day Monday, I want that CD.
Really tempted to just walk to K-Mart tomorrow and get it.
If I still lived near a Wal-Mart I'd probably be there right now waiting to get it :lol.

Called my Wal Mart, like some other people in this thread, and of course encountered complete dumbasses. I suppose that's a bit harsh, but she actually told me her computer doesn't even list Zelda as games they "can't sell", that was limited to Dungeon Seige III (which she kept referencing, as if that would do.. .. . . ... ....) and some other game I don't recall because I'm blinded by Ocarina tunnel vision fury. I told her I'd just call back later and find out..

Granted I've had this problem almost every time I've resorted to Wal Mart (IE I want it now, or whatever) this often happens. FF XIII was a cluster fuck.. I actually went home that night with nadda. It was just in a box..

Naked Snake said:
Amazon shipped my Zelda (via Lasership?), yay!

This actually just pisses me off even more. I further (aside from no incentive) didn't order from Amazon because at checkout I saw no "release day shipping", or even an indication that it would arrive on -Monday- (I could PAY for 1 day, did Amazon do away with release day shipping while I was afk for a month or two?). To see it later be shipped is just. . .

Reknoc

PKrockin said:
Using the BS 50-100 scale review sites use, 85 seems fair enough. I mean, it's really a great game, but the graphics could be better, the sound hasn't been touched at all, and it's an old, old game that has seen more than its share of rereleases.

Incorrect. Some of the sound effects have been improved, the Ocarina songs sound different when being played and some of the BGM has been improved (Forest Temple being the most noticeable).

hamchan

shadyspace said:
Playing devil's advocate, I like how the 3DS name is a play on it being the third DS.
(it's the 4th DS)

I like the 3DS name too, I can't really think of a better name for it.

WiiU is a dumb name though.

Eusis

JordanLMiller said:
original phat DS
DS lite
DSi
DSiXL
3DS
I think it's more that the DS/DS lite were more or less the same system, most of the same features and they all played the same software. Same for DSi/DSi XL being the "second" DS, though the upgrade mattered very little in the end outside of DSiware and foreshadowing the regional lockout of the 3DS.

PKrockin

Reknoc said:
Incorrect. Some of the sound effects have been improved, the Ocarina songs sound different when being played and some of the BGM has been improved (Forest Temple being the most noticeable).

Oh. From the Kokori Forest/Great Deku Tree preview footage I watched the sound was straight from the N64 so I assumed it was throughout the whole game. How much of the music has been changed?

Reknoc

PKrockin said:
Oh. From the Kokori Forest/Great Deku Tree preview footage I watched the sound was straight from the N64 so I assumed it was throughout the whole game. How much of the music has been changed?

Only noticed Forest Temple and Fire Temple as being improved/different so far. All the Ocarina songs sound a bit more... Ocarinary I guess.
Footfall sounds have also been improved but I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who cares about that.

I wasn't going to spell it out because I thought that would insult people's intelligence *sigh*. My mistake. DS-->DSi-->3DS. Just like their were three Game Boys.

The Lamp

JetBlackPanda said:
target said they will have some tomorrow morning now I need help deciding what game to get for 50% off are any really worth it?

I don't think so, unless you want the new Nintendogs or Street Fighter or something. There's not much else coming out for 3DS until the Fall, which is why I'm waiting. Maybe there will be some good deals a few months down the line.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
The 3D alone in this game ... damn, I just can't get over how much more alive the world feels. It's done much more tactfully than say, Rayman 3D which was such a cheap rush job by comparison. It makes me excited for the future of the system, when you actually play a game where 3D is actually built around instead of just ported.

I have to imagine they worked this game scene by scene with 3D, since it has none of that headache inducing quality of Rayman. It's so smooth.

KarmaCow

7ojdS.png

The customer service guy said the website is wrong and it shouldn't take that long but...damn it.

I enjoyed Ridge Racer 3DS more than Pilotwings or the Tom Clsncy game people recommended. I'd get Ridge Racer with Zelda if I was taking advantage of that 50% offer.

hamchan

shadyspace said:
I wasn't going to spell it out because I thought that would insult people's intelligence *sigh*. My mistake. DS-->DSi-->3DS. Just like their were three Game Boys.
Definitely should have spelled it out. A lot of people consider the DSi a revision instead of an all new DS successor like the the 3DS is.

I've spent an unhealthy amount of time on this today. its just passed 4am here in the UK...

The water temple is much more enjoyable this time around. The whole game makes the N64 version look so dated... and it already was.

I like how in the future,
the shop signs on the castle town market buildings transfer to buildings in kakariko village along with their owners. Ganondorf's tower looks a billion times better than it does on the n64.. all building interiors are much improved, the textures allow for much cooler details and some rooms have elements and camera angles clearly intended for the 3d. I spotted a portrait of ganondorf in ingo's room in lon lon ranch, and there appears to be a cuckoo feed rota in the room before that. The cave paintings in the goron caves are cool too, and the Ice Cavern was 100% improved. The touch screen inventory and gear menus are so much better than the old menus.. so convenient! The 3ds' notes app and browser have come in handy as well.

It's moreish, I just haven't been able to put it down. The mere framerate boost and imoroved modelling would have been nice enough, but I think some of the extra texture work is great too.. there's a room in the forest temple that can be rotated, and there's a subtle clue in the floor textures with scuff marks on the ground illustrating where it was moved before, but subtle enough to not be in your face. Little details like that are great. The boss challenge stuff posted above sounds great too.

This overhaul has got me replaying this properly, where the gamecube and VC releases couldn't. I'm loving the upgrade. Grezzo have delivered IMO!

SCReuter

neoism said:
really I called [my Walmart] and they said they don't stock games but on Tuesday... WTF

My plan this whole month has been to use my $40 in Walmart store credit tonight for Ocarina of Time 3DS.

The game better be available there in 35 minutes!

SCReuter said:
My plan this whole month has been to use my $40 in Walmart store credit tonight for Ocarina of Time 3DS.

The game better be available there in 35 minutes!

As usual you have to wait to find the right associate that will actually take the time to look in the appropriate places for new shipments. I called back later, talked to a lovely (British?) lady named Dawn who is holding one of the whole five copies that were sent to this Wal Mart in a rural location...

Wait, RE Mercenaries comes out on the 28th? I might just hold onto whatever my second title is at Best Buy and return/swap it for RE in a few weeks.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Game is out tomorrow. 3DS arrives on Monday.

Fuck.

But anyways trying to debate on what deal to take.

Teknoman

AbsoluteZero said:
Wait, RE Mercenaries comes out on the 28th? I might just hold onto whatever my second title is at Best Buy and return/swap it for RE in a few weeks.

Yup, end of June is great for 3DS.

Showmeyamoves said:
Game is out tomorrow. 3DS arrives on Monday.

Fuck.

But anyways trying to debate on what deal to take.

Target is thus

$40 + $20 = $60

Best Buy is thus

$40 + $40 = $80 (-$25) = $55

The Target deal saves you money upfront but the Best Buy deal is better in the end, as it saves you an extra $5 total, as long as you consider the gift card's value in the entire purchase.

Me, I have $10 worth of RZ certificates to burn anyway, so Best Buy is the way I'm going.

And I'm back home and I see this thread grew a lot.

We made it to 46 pages (50pp) before it launched in America! And we couldn't have done it without breaking the street date!

Sianos

DoctorWho said:
Club Nintendo still says my game hasn't been released in NA! It's past 12:00am on the east!! Bah!
I think there is still another 3 hours until 12 am PST.

I'll be picking my copy up at around noon and I'm pretty sure that I have 4g coverage near there, so I'll most likely get a soundtrack CD.

How many people use Club Nintendo, anyways?

Top Bottom