• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Did they say they're gonna fix the game and actually finish it? Because that would be pretty nice.

Will also like them to make it harder but I won't hold my breath for that.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love the original Wind Waker, and I love the tweaked art style of the new HD version, too. Yay for me.

mutsu

The fact that they didn't even show a single second of moving video means the game's graphics is still evolving. I wouldn't worry too much about how it ends up looking.

GCX

Did they say they're gonna fix the game and actually finish it? Because that would be pretty nice.

Will also like them to make it harder but I won't hold my breath for that.
Iwata said they'll "tune up the overall game experience" but that's so vague it could mean anything.

ASIS

Referring to the graphics, I will only say this:

The reason why WW looks so amazing is NOT because of the still screenshots. People praising the art style are always imagining the areas in motion before making a judgement of said screenshots.. Even though I agree with most o the people about the bloom. I still say wait, see how the game flows in motion, an then decide. Perhaps the bloom will make sense then.

EDIT: oh and please Add WM+ support, please!

Duffyside

Banned
Erm, the bottom one does look better and more cartoony. The reason why you prefer the top one methinks is that it has those colorful characters in them, while the bottom one is just some lifeless scenery. Just focus on the way the town looks. IMO better in the bottom one.

Nope. The blues are richer in the original, as are the greens, and the world isn't washed out with the awful bloom. The original looks like a beautiful 78 degree day, and the new looks like it's 110.

How on EARTH can you say the bottom one looks "more cartoony." That is so obviously not what they're even going for.

Ok, just look at the difference in the clouds! The original has these fluffy, white, rounded clouds... and the new one makes them look more "realistic," making them wispier, scattered and, by the looks of it, more affected by the wind.

And that might be awesome in Twilight Princess, or Majora's Mask. Not here.

Clott

What the fuuuuuck!!

I now HAVE to get a Wii U, damn it only takes one game for each system to hook me. YOu sold me on this one Nintendo, you got me again.

Kokonoe

Banned
f23a2269c1864f21af3e2c6.png

It's like I've died and gone to gaming heaven.

Mondriaan

Ok, just look at the difference in the clouds! The original has these fluffy, white, rounded clouds... and the new one makes them look more "realistic," making them wispier, scattered and, by the looks of it, more affected by the wind.

And that might be awesome in Twilight Princess, or Majora's Mask. Not here.
IIRC Miyamoto's original vision for the game was that it would closely replicate the experience of sailing. Having clouds change realistically depending on the wind would be an extension of that vision.

jozero

Neo Member
Anyone else find the reaction to this heart warming but also quite revealing to general internet psyche ?

When Wind Walker came out all you read on the net was how bad the new art style looked, how it was a disaster, how it killed the franchise.

Now look at the reaction. Wind Waker was apparently appreciated by a lot of people, and it helps that its look aged like fine wine.

Lesson : When something new comes out typically the only people who post are those that are mad at whatever decision was made. It generally is no indication of what the average gamer actually thought of the game. Either negative or positive, point is the initial reaction is usually an indicator of absolutely nothing.

Shion

Damn, it's a real shame that this thread is all about how the game should look instead of how it should play.

This is the perfect opportunity to fix the problems of the original release.

Don't ruin it, Nintendo.

Nohar

if they add the 2 incomplete dungeons, i'll cry and maybe record myself for the world to see

This. This is what I'm expecting mostly from this HD version. I don't think this will push me to buy it, but it would really make this version interesting (plus the revamped gameplay - changing the wind direction with a single stroke on the gamepad ? Yes please !).

ASIS

The bloom is a bit too much but overall I really like it.

Man the boss fights are gonna look gorgeous.
Oh shit. Dragon roost cavern.. How will that look with the bloom + shadows?

It could look revolutionary or disastrous. I honestly can't imagine it.

Eusis

For those bitching about the graphics: nobody is stopping you from going back and playing this on the Gamecube, Wii or Dolphin.
Well, when we wanted it in HD we wanted just what Dolphin delivered, and in an official capacity. I don't care if they have the foresight for a toggle though, it seems like the kind of thing that might be a potential option to put in.
No.

Zelda team experimented with different styles in a search for Zelda U graphics and as a by-product of that Wind Waker HD was born and went into development.
I guess this experiment was "What if Wind Waker looked more like a Pixar movie than a traditional cartoon?"

LukeTim

So excited by this announcement. Though I did call it when the Wii U was first announced.

God damn. Now I need to scrounge enough cash to buy a Wii U before the Autumn release.

WW and MM are my joint favourite Zelda games, so I am now just hoping for a MM 3D.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Anyone else find the reaction to this heart warming but also quite revealing to general internet psyche ?

When Wind Walker came out all you read on the net was how bad the new art style looked, how it was a disaster, how it killed the franchise.

Now look at the reaction. Wind Waker was apparently appreciated by a lot of people, and it helps that its look aged like fine wine.

Lesson : When something new comes out typically the only people who post are those that are mad at whatever decision was made. It generally is no indication of what the average gamer actually thought of the game. Either negative or positive, point is the initial reaction is usually an indicator of absolutely nothing.
No. It still looks like ass.

Porcile

Dream announcement.

The the art style looks great, and I'm glad it differs from the GC, which I've played through numerous times before. Will be fantastic to get a different visual take on the game, much like Twin Snakes was for me.

Mit-

Oh shit. Dragon roost cavern.. How will that look with the bloom + shadows?

It could look revolutionary or disastrous. I honestly can't imagine it.

With that much bloom I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to see anything in that volcano. Complete whiteout, except for the pure black shadows cast by anything possible.

Yonafunu

I don't think this is what the final game will look like. The way Aonuma said it, it sounds like these are the screens that made them want to do a remake, I don't think it's the remake itself. Calm down people.

Also, I think it'd be nice to have it look a little different. Makes it a little bit more exciting. The original looked like a cartoon, this looks like claymation.
I like it.

No.

Zelda team experimented with different styles in a search for Zelda U graphics and as a by-product of that Wind Waker HD was born and went into development.

OK. I hope, they remaster the textures as well, because most of the textures are 1:1 from the gc version. And where are the waves? But it still looks fantastic

ASIS

Wii U purchase justified =D

But I still want a new Wii U Zelda to be announced.
It already has. They hinted ata non-linear adventure that could include some sort of co op multiplayer. It is still very early in development but they have talked about it in the direct.

LukeTim

OK. I hope, they remaster the textures as well, because most of the textures are 1:1 from the gc version. And where are the waves? But it still looks fantastic

Nintendo aren't known for skimping on texture work. I'm sure they'll fix it up very nicely for the final release.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Not really, though.

I would not hesitate to suggest that The Wind Waker was the best looking game of its generation. And it is of course very early to tell, but Wind Waker HD looks like it'll be a tough one to beat.

So ugly, I never played it. The revisions are still ugly, so therefore, it is still unplayable.

GCX

There never were any waves near the islands in the GC version. They only started on the open sea.

EBCubs03

Banned
What is the point of a higher resolution if they're not gonna bother to add a noticeable amount of detail to the game

Is this a fucking joke

Why would anyone spend money on this

Lucent

It already has. They hinted ata non-linear adventure that could include some sort of co op multiplayer. It is still very early in development but they have talked about it in the direct.

Yeah my bad. I said that before watching the video. Damn this is awesome. I actually REALLY liked Windwaker, so this is an awesome combo for me. =D

:lol :lol :lol

I like what they're attempting with Wind Waker U. I feel like with some toning down here and there this is going to be another looker with a style less cel shaded a la the classic but more Pixar/TF2.

I don't get it. How exactly does that new style look anywhere remotely like a Pixar flick?

pixar-up-trailer3-large.jpg

Tookay

The fact that they didn't even show a single second of moving video means the game's graphics is still evolving. I wouldn't worry too much about how it ends up looking.

Not to mention the fact they haven't even shown something beyond Windfall screams "prototype."

This is so early along, I wouldn't be surprised if it had been recently commissioned.

FLAguy954

I just think comparing to dolphin is ludicrous, the Wii U cannot pull out those graphics, Dolphin is quite taxing.

It seems people are getting way too spoiled about dolphin, as someone already mentioned this was an experiment of them putting ww in HD with Wii U hardware and that was the result, I think it looks great, but I have to see it in motion too.

What the hell are you talking about? Wind Waker HD is a revamped remake, not a brute-force emulated iso :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom