• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Story Trailer

Almost ten years...

Back in 2006 many people made observations regarding how "off" the character designs for most Ordon villagers looked. Why wasn't any corrections made to these models so they looked more in harmony with the rest of the game or even the concept art?

Is like looking at a mediocre wooden sculptures.

The slight hope i have for this remaster hangs on it having vastly gameplay and pacing adjustments.

Stitch

Gold Member
she looks the same, just with different lightning and less blur because the resolution is higher.

twilight princess was always really ugly anyways.

She looked less bizarre in the screenshot they tweeted.

CZsbppiWwAAATld.jpg:orig

Does Nintendo price cut their games??
Maybe not so often, but they do promotions every now and then.

I am glad I waited with WW hd since I got the game for free when I bought MK8. Will wait with this too. Very likely there won't be a similar promotion, but if there won't be it's not a big loss for me at least.

she looks the same, just with different lightning and less blur because the resolution is higher.

twilight princess was always really ugly anyways.
It has some rough parts and aspects, but is not an ugly game since it has it's fare share of impressive momemts visually considering it's a GC game after all. Technically more impressive than WW for sure, but withouth the great art style that defined that game.

Put in TP the lighting model of WW HD and adress some the few off putting character models and people would be singing another song.

She looked less bizarre in the screenshot they tweeted.

Must be an odd animation frame. Everything else in the video looks great.
Also those complaining about bloom: It's always been like that, this actually looks toned down compared to the original in regards to bloom.
It's a really great texture rework on a game that certainly needed it.

Majestad

Banned
I haven't played all Zelda games. I don't know if the game is good or bad. I would like to play this someday. Wind Waker HD was great and gorgeous.

Meanwhile, this game... ugly as hell. I don't understand why Nintendo considers this remaster something good to celebrate Zelda's 25th anniversary, when they could have given us the same game looking like this:

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg

Because that would take a completely new engine, and a big time to develop? They are already making a new Zelda, which comes out this year. What are you talking about?

kewlmyc

Was tempted due to amiibo, but not so much anymore. This game doesn't benefit as much from an HD upgrade as other games.

Huh. Was expecting more texture upgrades for the environment and better lighting. Can't say I'm impressed much. =/

The textures have had a pretty substantial upgrade, it's still Twilight Princess running on the same engine but it looks a lot better than it originally did while maintaining the same art direction. I think they've done a fantastic job visually.

KHlover

Banned
Twilight Princess is an ugly game. News at eleven. There's only so much you can fix in a remaster, what many people here expect would be more like a remake. Which could have been great though, judging by the E3 2012 tech demo.

Twilight Princess is an ugly game. News at eleven. There's only so much you can fix in a remaster, what many people here expect would be more like a remake. Which could have been great though, judging by the E3 2012 tech demo.

That's true. Remake vs remaster, I mean. I'll admit I sometimes am expecting one when the intent was for the other.

Revven

I find it kind of funny how we still have zero official confirmation on what gameplay tweaks they've made (besides what we know from screenshots from Famitsu) and they're throwing out all this footage of the game.

Are we going to have to wait until the middle of February? Come on, Nintendo...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lol. I never noticed the guard dying in the first 5 secs of the trailer had Link's voice. Or did they add that for the trailer? It's silly. Also what the hell at the ducklips :lol

EJYtZB4.png

Both ripped from youtube videos, the Gamecube shot is running on an actual Gamecube but it seems to be composite oppose to S-video or Component so I'm sure we can get a better quality Gamecube shot somewhere. Regardless you can see the lighting improvements and how the bloom has been toned down significantly, you can actually see the background!

Gamecube shot is smaller due to the aspect ratio.

Synless

hVKsq6u.gif

It might just be because of the softer lighting, but it does give the illusion that her nose is a fraction longer pushing her lips out a bit.

The stronger shadows around her eyes looked better as well.

Human's are great with recognising faces and the fact everyone thinks something looked off speaks volumes.

EDIT: And yeah, her irises are clearly bigger now. Less white around them.
There is some real details lost in the clothing there.

gafneo

Banned
hVKsq6u.gif

It might just be because of the softer lighting, but it does give the illusion that her nose is a fraction longer pushing her lips out a bit.

The stronger shadows around her eyes looked better as well.

Human's are great with recognising faces and the fact everyone thinks something looked off speaks volumes.

EDIT: And yeah, her irises are clearly bigger now. Less white around them.

Hey, it's Linkle.

Linkle.png[\img]

I think it looks fine. I like the Ilia gif because it shows me the whole game really did get a face lift (pun intended). I think some of you are being too harsh (see above), like saying no work was put into this. Think of how big Twilight Princess is. Every scene and locale had to be redone like that. I think it looks significantly better, but the models don't really lend themselves to enormous improvement. Not saying you don't have a right to be disappointed.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
If "alright" is the best they could do then maybe they shouldn't have done it at all.

Griss

Unacceptably poor remastering work there.

Shame, OoT was a masterful job, MM was pretty good with some issues, WW was incredible if you could accept that they changed the artstyle by changing the lighting.

This looks to be way, way worse than any of those efforts. And that's disappointing. What can you do, though? The game was always ugly outside of one or two areas, and time has not been kind.

takriel

Meh, I just want to play TP again in HD without those awful Wii controls. And I'll get just that. I'm fine with it.

I hope my girlfriend will like the game. She loved Skyward Sword. Not sure about this one lol.

ash_ag

EJYtZB4.png

Regardless you can see the lighting improvements and how the bloom has been toned down significantly, you can actually see the background!

The situation isn't as extreme as in Silent Hill 2 HD, but I feel the decrease of bloom lightning changes the game's intended aesthetic. The game was designed with certain limitations in mind, and that defined the way it looked to a large extent. Those effects weren't there just for hiding imperfections, but also to highlight characters (like Link in this situation -- who is a bit lost in the background in the HD version) and contribute to the game's atmosphere.

And to be honest, it's not just the atmosphere that is altered (in a bad way), but the imperfections are still very much there, and effects do nothing to hide them now. If they didn't improve the assets much, or change scenery to be more on par with a new aesthetic, then the decision to remove bloom lighting and strong shadows is bad bad bad.

Please add them back. If this version isn't supposed to improve the game visually, let's not make it worse at least. :(

Efejota

EJYtZB4.png

Both ripped from youtube videos, the Gamecube shot is running on an actual Gamecube but it seems to be composite oppose to S-video or Component so I'm sure we can get a better quality Gamecube shot somewhere. Regardless you can see the lighting improvements and how the bloom has been toned down significantly, you can actually see the background!

Wasn't that an spirit spring? All that golden bloom made a bit of sense there.

Ridley327

I think this does highlight that Twilight Princess is a game that required a "back to the drawing board" approach, as a lot of the visual design of the game was based on limitations that current hardware doesn't struggle with anymore, and an art style that tried to apply a more gritty aesthetic on top of the usual Zelda zaniness and it wound up not meshing well. The problem is you're having to make a new game at that point, and Nintendo is honestly better off pouring those resources into an actual brand-new game.

Top Bottom