• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Story Trailer

Yikes. This literally looks like actual shit.

B2SYyD3.jpg

I like the graphics :(

Luigi87

Well it is exactly what I expected since the initial reveal trailer (which disappointed me at the time). Oh well, still getting it.

Hard to believe it's almost been ten years since the original release...

Why are people just realizing this NOW???

It was obvious ages ago that it wasn't as remade as Wind Waker.

It's basically HD with redone textures and that's about it.

Exactly. But I didn't think it would be a downgrade in any way, but honestly it looks like their lighting solution was akin to going into photoshop and just turning up the Fill Light.

I'll just stick to the GameCube version if I ever want to play it again. Hearing Midnas theme in the trailer makes me want to.

Revven

The thing is, Illia's model and everyone else's character model besides the main five characters (Zant, Link, Midna, Ganondorf, and Zelda) looked like shit to begin with. Even with whatever lighting changes are going on in that scene and whatever minor changes they made to her model, the original model is still just as ugly.

And it's not even that, this is just like a few frames of a single scene where the camera is pointing directly at her face in such a way. I doubt you will see any similar scenes in the latter half of the game and she will look exactly as she does in the Gamecube/Wii versions in those scenes.

People are just nitpicking this one scene to death. Good lord.

Dice//

Banned
The characters were always bizarre looking. I mean, look at this thing.

f62f9f4be1ef0c9a14761cd331f526f9e656bc11.jpg__620x349_q85.jpg

Bizarre character idea aside, I actually fond Malo pretty entertaining. The little dude shuts down a prestigious shop in the Hyrule-equivalent of Manhattan's Tiffany's.

The thing is, Illia's model and everyone else's character model besides the main four characters (Zant, Link, Ganondorf, and Zelda) looked like shit to begin with. Even with whatever lighting changes are going on in that scene and whatever minor changes they made to her model, the original model is still just as ugly.

And it's not even that, this is just like a few frames of a single scene where the camera is pointing directly at her face in such a way. I doubt you will see any similar scenes in the latter half of the game and she will look exactly as she does in the Gamecube/Wii versions in those scenes.

It exemplifies how much of a lazy port TP is, which for some reason is just now catching people off guard. It's a shame because I feel like you can only attempt to release the same game so many times, and this was a complete waste at one of them.

TheMoon

Funny thing is that people here act like they'll look at that still shot of Illia for the entire 40-50 hours or something.

Get a grip. You've seen TPHD in action before. You know what it looks like by now.

ash_ag

I think this does highlight that Twilight Princess is a game that required a "back to the drawing board" approach, as a lot of the visual design of the game was based on limitations that current hardware doesn't struggle with anymore, and an art style that tried to apply a more gritty aesthetic on top of the usual Zelda zaniness and it wound up not meshing well. The problem is you're having to make a new game at that point, and Nintendo is honestly better off pouring those resources into an actual brand-new game.

But instead of going with this midpoint solution of improving assets a little, changing lighting a little, making things look cleaner a little, they could have stuck with what they had. Act as if the limitations still exist, and try to hide imperfections with the same techniques. At the very least, it could have ended up looking like a high-resolution version of the admittedly muddy TP -- maybe even somewhat cleaner. They could have put less effort to improve some parts of it and end up with a more satisfying and consistent result.

Revven

It's a shame because I feel like you can only attempt to release the same game so many times, and this was a complete waste at one of them.

I disagree with it being a complete waste if the gameplay changes they've made are significant enough. Which we will find out soon enough.

Ridley327

It exemplifies how much of a lazy port TP is, which for some reason is just now catching people off guard. It's a shame because I feel like you can only attempt to release the same game so many times, and this was a complete waste at one of them.

What more can they really do here? They're already doing more than most remasters have managed, and they're actually changing some gameplay aspects a bit to improve the experience. The lighting could be better, but there's nothing else they could do short of an actual remake.

Dice//

Banned
What more can they really do here? They're already doing more than most remasters have managed, and they're actually changing some gameplay aspects a bit to improve the experience. The lighting could be better, but there's nothing else they could do short of an actual remake.

Yeah I think it'll be the little changes that have my curiosity. WW was beautifully fixed up is some aspects.

Arkam

Looks fine for what it is: A GameCube game in HD.
Yup. People need to stop getting their panties in bunches over little things. The game looks pretty and will be a lot of fun to replay. Being in HD alone will make this play through a pleasure.

Even though it's my fav Zelda, Twilight Princess has always been pretty butt ugly. But it's still pretty disappointing to see that they haven't reworked any of the character models for NPCs aside from tinkering around with the lighting.

Wind Waker on Wii U is able to look as amazing as it does without a whole lot of developer input because of it's cell shaded art style. That's clearly not the same case with TP and it just makes the effort look pretty bare bones even if there is substantial texture work and improved lighting.

Mixed feelings. :(

Kodaman

The thing is, Illia's model and everyone else's character model besides the main five characters (Zant, Link, Midna, Ganondorf, and Zelda) looked like shit to begin with. Even with whatever lighting changes are going on in that scene and whatever minor changes they made to her model, the original model is still just as ugly.

This so much.

Is funny seeing everyone freaking out.

samn

Most remasters either aren't this expensive or pack in more than one game.

What on earth. They've actually also removed lighting from this game. There's no contours around her face/eyes...

Honestly, this'll probably be the first Zelda I won't be buying in a long time. Ask me a year ago about the possibly of TPHD and I'd be so excited. Imagining a big new lighting system and such. The new HD textures look nice, and I don't hate TPs artstyle like some, but it just doesn't feel substantial enough of an upgrade.

Exactly, deeply disappointed. TP is one of my favorite games ever, but no way I will support this lazy remaster.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It looks fine, considering what they are working with.

Meanwhile, this game... ugly as hell. I don't understand why Nintendo considers this remaster something good to celebrate Zelda's 25th anniversary, when they could have given us the same game looking like this:

20110704zeldawiiu.jpg

They were never going to make a game looking like that as that was an unplayable tech demo.

Hadn't noticed this artwork until now:

It is new I guess? Got more here:

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...da+Twilight+Princess+HD+la+historia+en+Wii+U/

Looks good.

Yikes. This literally looks like actual shit.

No it doesn't.

I think this does highlight that Twilight Princess is a game that required a "back to the drawing board" approach, as a lot of the visual design of the game was based on limitations that current hardware doesn't struggle with anymore, and an art style that tried to apply a more gritty aesthetic on top of the usual Zelda zaniness and it wound up not meshing well. The problem is you're having to make a new game at that point, and Nintendo is honestly better off pouring those resources into an actual brand-new game.

Exactly, any problem that people have with the HD graphic largely stems from the original game graphics.

And honestly given what the HD is working with, it's already looking better than the original drab and brownness colours.

Persona7

Banned
i think that illias model was always bad but it just wasn't as pronounced due to the standard definition of the original release. TP has an awful art style.

Dice//

Banned
i think that illias model was always bad but it just wasn't as pronounced due to the standard definition of the original release. TP has an awful art style.

I actually really admire Zelda not taking on a very strict anime style since that feels way more often the norm.

AdanVC

Not gonna lie, that was ugly AF and I'm actually reconsidering my purchase of this game. The unnecesary bloom ruins like 80% of the environments there AND looks like they didn't added any improvements or changes to the painfully boring and tedious intro of the game, wich was the reason I've never finished this Zelda. Got bored after 5 or 6 hours. Wich is really sad because the last segments of the game look pretty exciting as shown in the trailer and some people claim that it has the best dungeons on the Zelda series. Not the HD remaster I was hoping for after the amazing Wind Waker HD.

I disagree with it being a complete waste if the gameplay changes they've made are significant enough. Which we will find out soon enough.

Yea no ...

You're looking at a screenshot and ignoring everything else.

For the gameplay comments, I just have never had high hopes for that and we still haven't heard anything about what the changes are. The fact is that WindWaker HD was a beautiful remaster full of gameplay adjustments in the middle of the console lifespan by Nintendo. This is a port farmed out to Tantulus (I'd encourage you to look at their past work) to shit out at the end of the Wii U's life. Everything feels wrong about it.

And I normally agree with you Moon, but for me it's not just the screenshot.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus christ....not the same level of effort as wind waker HD was put into this..

Debating on cancelling pre order...

Same. But also largely because I just finished playing through WW HD and I'm pretty burnt out on Zelda (also played MM3D last year, and OOT 3D and Link Between Worlds right before that). So I wouldn't get around to it anytime soon anyway.

Only temptation really is I like the Amiibo.

TheMoon

This is a port farmed out to Tantulus (I'd encourage you to look at their past work) to shit out at the end of the Wii U's life. Everything feels wrong about it.

And I normally agree with you Moon, but for me it's not just the screenshot.

Their past work includes stellar Wii U versions of Mass Effect 3 and Deus Ex HR (Straight Right = Tantalus using a different brand for certain games). They know what they're doing.

edit: oops double post

Nerrel

I think it looks fine. I like the Ilia gif because it shows me the whole game really did get a face lift (pun intended). I think some of you are being too harsh (see above), like saying no work was put into this. Think of how big Twilight Princess is. Every scene and locale had to be redone like that. I think it looks significantly better, but the models don't really lend themselves to enormous improvement. Not saying you don't have a right to be disappointed.

What do you mean when you say "redone like that?" All that I see is a resolution bump (which doesn't take much work- you can do it in Dolphin right now) and a modest texture upgrade. Redoing all the textures isn't easy, but amateur fans do this on their own all the time and often produce better results than what we're seeing here (look at what two guys alone are doing for RE4). They obviously haven't touched up the models or improved any of the effects much, which is especially evident during the burning castle scene, and when they have altered the models (really just Illia?) it's not an improvement.

It looks like they've taken the exact same game, set the resolution to 1080p (I hope), and added in some cleaner textures. Maybe in some cases they've toned down the bloom, but that's it- I don't see anything else. They haven't added any noteworthy new lighting effects in or even revamped the ones that are there. Still no shadows in the environments, no ambient occlusion, nothing.

If Nintendo hadn't set such a high standard for Zelda remakes by this point, maybe that would be enough. But this is really disappointing coming from 3 great and massive visual overhauls in a row. I hope they're not intending to charge anything more than $30 for this, because I don't see any reason to pay $50 just to get a 10 year old game in HD. Especially not when Dolphin has done it for years for free for those of us with gaming PCs.

Exactly, any problem that people have with the HD graphic largely stems from the original game graphics.

...That's exactly the point of a remake, to get rid of the limitations of the original graphics. OoT and MM3D redid the character models and generally made the entire game higher poly, added in entirely new lighting, and created dramatically improved textures and completely new assets from scratch. They're still not exactly cutting edge games, but they look much more modern than an N64 game thanks to those improvements.

WWHD didn't have as much work put in, but they still overhauled the lighting system by adding in new effects like bloom and ambient occlusion and generally polished the game up to look great by modern standards.

TPHD hasn't done any of that stuff. It's just the same game in HD with a nice but underwhelming texture upgrade. Nintendo could have eliminated these problems by going back to the original concept art and recreating the main character models with more polygons like they did for OoT3D and MM3D. They could have overhauled that archaic castle scene with newly made assets and effects- look at how differently Hyrule castle town turned out in OoT3D vs the original. Here, it's pretty much no different than the original.

If they weren't willing to put the work into overhauling the visuals to a modern standard, they shouldn't have bothered. The game is honestly not the most interesting Zelda title and it really needed something special to make it exciting to play again. You may disagree, but as a huge fan who bought all the other remakes on day one I have next to no interest in this.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
If Nintendo was going to do a lazy port (because that's what this is), they should have done Skyward Sword.

I don't understand why people think Wind Waker was any different - it was just as lazy, but cel shaded game tend to hold up better.

I hope not many people are going to buy this thing at full price. We have to send the message that these types of cash grabs aren't ok.

Top Bottom