• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Story Trailer

Mato

Looks good. More clean, vibrant and pleasant. People will start to appreciate it more once they get over their disappointment that this isn't a full HD remake. That's gonna happen eventually, a few years from now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Funny thing is that people here act like they'll look at that still shot of Illia for the entire 40-50 hours or something.

I've actually been pleased with what I've seen so far so when this shot appeared it did come as a surprise because of how off it looked. People say the NPC's in TP always looked weird but Illia actually looked fairly normal in the original. Something's happened her to make her look more derpy. Heck, the lack of strong shadows compared to the original almost makes this look like unfinished footage, not something for a games that's almost ready for release.

Sure this is just a small part of the game, but TP is one of my favourite Zelda titles and I actually liked how the original looked, heavy bloom included, so seeing the atmosphere changed isn't exactly something I'm too keen on. At least with WWHD the new lighting was gorgeous, here is just looks wimpy in comparison.

Nerrel

It needed a remake? Twilight Princess is absolutely fine as it is. It didn't need design enhancements like Wind Waker's swiftsail or less tedious Tri Force quest. The only issue Twilight Princess has ever had is its textures and low and behold that's resolved with this remaster. Completely remaking Twilight Princess to look like the tech demo would be a huge waste of resources, why not just make a whole new game? Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D were bigger efforts because of how much they could visually improve them. Upgrading N64 textures to 3DS ones is huge. It's pretty big for Twilight Princess HD too but we're not talking the same kind of graphical leap.

If it were absolutely fine then there wouldn't be so many people disappointed. Other GC games- like Metroid Prime- have held up far better than TP and could probably get away with this kind of minimal remaster treatment. TP was going for a more realistic style than usual and aged much more dramatically for it. So yes, it did need more work done.

You don't have to make TP look like the tech demo or make a whole new game. Just make it look obviously better than the original. A lot of people were confused by the reveal and thought Nintendo was showing the original TP first- I was one of them. I seriously didn't believe I was seeing footage of the remaster until they explicitly stated it was. It required seeing comparisons afterward to make it clear that the game looked a lot cleaner, but that's wildly different than the immediate and powerful difference the other 3 Zelda re-releases made on their first impression.

There's plenty they could do with this game. For starters, they could add the same ambient occlusion WWHD got. This is a more realistic game that would benefit much more from it... almost every Wii U game released by Nintendo has it at this point... why is it not here? I don't care if it's a remaster or not, that wouldn't have been too hard to add. Even without a new lighting system, they could have baked some shadows into the environments so that the world isn't so utterly flat looking. Look at one GAF user came up with:

26aJEJFA.png

Still think there isn't much they could do to improve the game? If you're fine with a cheap HD port, then I don't want to insult your opinion too much, but to say this game looks absolutely fine by modern standards is a stretch to say the least. Nintendo generally doesn't do this kind of remaster; they usually make their re-releases special and try to really breathe new life into the game. This is more along the lines of the less interesting type of remaster rest of the industry does. It reminds me a lot of Capcom's $20 "Ultimate HD" editions.

Tadpole

Sad to say as a big Zelda fan, this game never caught on with me. Even in HD it's not the prettiest girl at the dance. And it def shows its age in motion. I think I will pass.

tiprun

That trailer has got me proper psyched for this now! Not bothered one bit by the looks, it's such a good game and the music is absolutely fantastic!

Mr-Joker

Banned
15.jpeg

OoT_3D_6-11_01.png

majoras-mask-3d-deku.jpg

It's crazy to expect TPHD to look half as good as the three stunning remasters that immediately preceded it?

You say that it's just a "remaster" and not a remake, as if that justifies the fact that Nintendo is giving us a minimal effort. That's the problem- they're giving us a remaster when the game needed a remake.

You're trying to fit a square peg into a round hole to make your point.

Both Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask 3D are full scale remake and Windwaker HD is bound to look good when Windwaker originally looked good in the first place due its cel shading art style.

Twilight Princess however on the Gamecube, never looked good when it was released and began to age poorly.

The best that the HD treatment can do is clean up the brownness and upscale the texture. But if you want Twilight Princess to look anywhere close to Windwaker HD then it will need a full scale remake, something that this is not.

You guys are all focusing on the wrong face. Some things were never meant to go beyond SD.

CcZC5iU.png

Wonder if that has been cleaned since November or not.

Man Epona seen some shit.

Wow. Really dissapointed on how TPHD looks now. It really doesn't look as good as this shots, expecially WWHD.

Those image are unfair to Twilight Princess HD as both Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask 3D are full scale remake and Windwaker HD already looked good originally.

Toparaman

Banned
The lighting might actually look worse than the original. Honestly it's kinda depressing that TP is getting such a shoddy treatment.

Nerrel

Oot and mm were remake not remasters dude and Ww always looked better then TP.

Well yeah, it's unrealistic to expect TPHD to look as good as Ocarina 3D or Majora 3D since those were remakes (from scratch, I think? edit: I guess not since source code is the same) instead of (HD) remasters.

It's crazy to not understand the difference. Even in this post you listed two remakes and one HD remaster. Zelda WW looks tons better because its art has aged better. The art matters so much for a game, we have lots of proofs about that with Wii U games.

No much can be done for a TP HD unless it's a remake, i.e. remake the characters, geometry, remake some parts of the landscape etc.

Twilight Princess is not a remake and I am not sure where you got the impression that it was.

Twilight Princess is a port of the original game but with the HD treatment applied to it.

I know the difference between an HD port/remaster and a remake. For instance- an HD port usually doesn't cost 50 fucking dollars. Tropical Freeze cost $50... do you think this remaster had anywhere near the same amount of work put into it? They're charging you remake prices for an enhanced port. If this were $20 or $30, like the Capcom remasters I mentioned above, then the "it's only a remaster" argument might make sense. But they're not; this is almost full price for a cheap HD port with few enhancements that was farmed out to another developer.

This isn't a matter of semantics. I don't care what the game is labeled as. The product is what it is. It's perfectly fair game to compare the past 3 re-releases to TPHD- the fourth re-release in the same series. Saying it's a remaster doesn't magically excuse it from looking really weak, especially not when it's selling at so high a price.

I don't know why so many people are eager to defend this. If you really like TP and want to pay to play it in HD, that's fine. But this is a pretty huge rip off and an underwhelming effort compared to the remakes/remasters/re-releases/whatever term you choose/ Nintendo gave the other games. It's not at all unreasonable to be disappointed or upset with this.

I know the difference between an HD port/remaster and a remake. For instance- an HD port usually doesn't cost 50 fucking dollars.

How many times is an HD port a port of the most popular (looking at pure numbers) entry in one of the most long-running and highly valued franchises in gaming, that was completely on top of its genre (again, in terms of numbers) at the time it was released?

Mcdohl

TP always finding ways to attract some hate.

I guess it's understandable though, but I'm honestly just happy I'll be able to re-play this in a new way.

A lot of people complained about similar things with the FFX/X-2 HD remaster, but I don't think it was bad. Once you play the game and things are in-motion, the game looked really pretty.

Still better than playing it SD imo (FFX).

We'll see if TP looks and feels as great as it did in GC.

Shiggy

I think the pretty bad visuals would be more bearable if this was not full price. Apart from the few Wii U die-hard fans, most will probably pass out on this. In so far it is a smart move on Nintendo's side: they know that nobody will buy a Wii U over this cash grab, but they also know that their die-hard supporters will buy it at whatever price offered.

Vena

I think the pretty bad visuals would be more bearable if this was not full price. Apart from the few Wii U die-hard fans, most will probably pass out on this. In so far it is a smart move on Nintendo's side: they know that nobody will buy a Wii U over this cash grab, but they also know that their die-hard supporters will buy it at whatever price offered.

Its not.

Heroman

Banned

This will probably outsell WWhd by a considerable amount.

TheMoon

Then I have conflicting info because we had a thread weeks ago that showed the opposite somewhere in its confines.

Shiggy went on about this then too.

TPHD w/o amiibo is not full price in Europe. The amiibo special edition is full price (60EUR). The standalone game is 45 EUR which is five bucks more than the full price of 3DS games. Wii U games usually range between 50-60 while NOE does lower prices for some games occasionally. That does not change the fact that 60 EUR is still full price like everywhere else, too.

Compare:
The Legend of Zelda: The Winds Waker HD (Nintendo, available October 4) - €59.99/£49.99

The original game wasn't that much of a looker, and I think that this game needed far more work done to it than Wind Waker HD to make it look good in its own right, yet this game received far less. Not to mention the actual game needed a lot of overhauls in the gameplay to get it up to snuff.

This isn't the game to just up the res, enhance some textures, and push out the door. The original aged far worse than that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
In Europe it is. Costs the same as other full price titles by Nintendo (Amiibo-less version).

I'm lucky Amazon dropped the price so getting LE for the price of SE, so taking the soundtrack and Amiibo into question I'm seeing what I'm getting as a budget release. If it wasn't for the good price I may have decided to take a wait and see approach for it even if I do really like TP.

EDIT: Trailer comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H4EkchdCz0

I'm lucky Amazon dropped the price so getting LE for the price of SE, so taking the soundtrack and Amiibo into question I'm seeing what I'm getting as a budget release. If it wasn't for the good price I may have decided to take a wait and see approach for it even if I do really like TP.

EDIT: Trailer comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H4EkchdCz0

The bloom being gone is a Godsend. It looked like grease have been smeared on the camera.

televator

Never liked Link's wolf model. It's still ass in HD. Pales in comparison to Okami.

Edit: Epona's model was also shit. Four legend animals were atrocious in TP. I still really like the game though.

AdanVC

You people need to focus on the real news, which is how badass this official art of Ganondorf is:

mPwb2Om.jpg

Goddamn.

One of the things I'm also really looking forward when a new home console zelda comes out is the official artwork wich is amazing. Just imagine how the artwork will be for Zelda U hngggggggghh

Could be that I'm really jonesing for a 3D zelda game-like right now, but even with my dislike of the character models and me not being particularly hot for the game in general when it came out... I really want to get this.

It's a safe bet for Nintendo, and it's a safe bet for me, especially with how many games the past couples months I've tried and bounced off of.

Aroll

You people need to focus on the real news, which is how badass this official art of Ganondorf is:

mPwb2Om.jpg

Goddamn.

Where does this stunning new art actually come from? I know you folks claim it's official art, but I can't find it anywhere to confirm it's OA.

Fuck the remake / remaster nonsense. Non of these terms will be placed on the box. It's called Windwaker HD and it's called Twilight Princess HD. People expect good upgrades based on earlier results from Nintendo.

So far not a big problem. But I do hate the fact that this remaster is full price. Which seems a bit steep.

Shit is waaaaay too expensive for what it's doing.

hVKsq6u.gif

It might just be because of the softer lighting, but it does give the illusion that her nose is a fraction longer pushing her lips out a bit.

The stronger shadows around her eyes looked better as well.

Human's are great with recognising faces and the fact everyone thinks something looked off speaks volumes.

EDIT: And yeah, her irises are clearly bigger now. Less white around them.

The problem is the much weaker shadow on the upper lip, making it look like her mouth is lower than it is.

maxcriden

Not to be dense at all, but...the YT version I saw only went up to 480p...is the game rendered or upscaled to 1080p, and if so, will it not look much better on a TV than in this trailer?

Top Bottom