• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD - Story Trailer

ASIS

I mean, I'm buying the game anyway cause it's Zelda, but yeah I'm one of those who expected something along the lines of WWHD.

I wonder if they didn't go full remake mode because they wanted the difference between TP and Zelda U to seem bigger?

New Ganondorf and Zelda arts remind me how cool their designs are in this game and how little screen time both have in the game...

Yikes, everyone flipping out over a bad shot of Ilia even though she looks completely fine in the other one. The new textures are fantastic. While not 1:1 redraws in every case, they're very tastefully suited to the original artwork.

Some screenshots from the Japanese Twitter page.
dipOxii.jpg

A2mwG0i.jpg

h1ix4a3.jpg

0W4x5jo.jpg

fdCLM41.jpg

And here's what some of the fanmade projects have conjured up. All from Faron Woods for a somewhat even comparison of their different approaches. Links to each project included. I easily prefer Nintendo's effort to any of these.
Wrong thing to complain about but my God the font in that fanmade shot gave me polio. So so bad.

TheMoon

C'mon the head is on the boxart.

Also, gamereactor apparently.

The art comes from Nintendo. Pretty much every website has posted the new assets last week.

I'm aware. What I mean is - I haven't been able to find where Nintendo officially released the art.

On their press server, of course. Like with everything.

Here's everything: http://www.perfectly-nintendo.com/z...-renders-hyrule-warriors-legends-screenshots/

Ww had a new dynamic lightning engine, 1080p upgrade, new graphics / sounds and gameplay changes. And even then I thought it was a bit overpriced.

TP HD is a laughable excuse for the current price. Direct competition puts three games in HD upgrades with trophies and extra's for the same or lower price.

And TPHD does all of those except for the lighting and adds new content on top.

Neoxon

I know they're completely different series but if we're remastering Wii games why on earth didn't we get Mario Galaxy?
Likely due to its over-reliance on motion controls. Though the Galaxy games are now Virtual Console games on the eShop (like Skyward Sword will be, which we know of thanks to an eShop leak).

TheMoon

Please stop. This is simply not the truth.

Except it is.

Going through it:

Ww had a new dynamic lightning engine, 1080p upgrade, new graphics / sounds and gameplay changes. And even then I thought it was a bit overpriced.

-a new dynamic lightning engine (already said, not getting this so this is the only thing not happening)
-1080p upgrade (not official yet but the PR shots are 1080p, video is 1080p and Nintendo tends to only do this when the actual game is also 1080p - like WWHD)
-new graphics (all or almost all textures completely redone, new 3D models in some cases, lighting changes in some scenes)
-new sounds (not confirmed yet but very very likely since they've done the same for all other Zelda remasters)
-gameplay changes (fact, confirmed via plenty of examples already)

+ new content

The game looks fine.

It's a remaster with completely revamped textures, tweaked lighting, and a resolution bump.

They were never going to redo all of the polygonal character models... This isn't a remake...

Nerrel

And TPHD does all of those except for the lighting and adds new content on top.

The lighting was the main thing that made WWHD look so different. You can argue that TPHD had more work put into the textures, but obviously that work didn't provide a very good return. It feels like a waste to go through all the effort of redrawing textures from scratch only for the game to still look like a dated GC title. I might have actually preferred the WWHD treatment, focusing on a new lighting engine instead of redrawing the textures.

I know that you're trying to prove that this doesn't look as bad as the front on shot suggests, but it still doesn't look great. Her face is missing all of the shadowing from the original, and her eyes look a little off for it. It's hard to tell that they're recessed from her brow and nose at all, so they look like they're floating in a huge, flat face.

How many times is an HD port a port of the most popular (looking at pure numbers) entry in one of the most long-running and highly valued franchises in gaming, that was completely on top of its genre (again, in terms of numbers) at the time it was released?

Are you arguing that it's OK for them to release a cheap, half-hearted port for $50 because you think the game is good? What matter does the content make? A cheap, quick remaster of a great game is still a quick, cheap remaster.

They were never going to redo all of the polygonal character models... This isn't a remake...

I still don't understand why this is such a popular attitude... you realize they're charging remake prices for this, right? And that at least two of the other four Zelda games were fully remade while the other was much more dramatically improved than this? I don't see any possible scenario in which a far less impressive remaster at the same price doesn't disappoint.

Are you arguing that it's OK for them to release a cheap, half-hearted port for $50 because you think the game is good? What matter does the content make? A cheap, quick remaster of a great game is still a quick, cheap remaster.

All I'm saying is that that's the reason why other HD ports don't cost $50. It has nothing to do with the level of effort involved.

Yikes, everyone flipping out over a bad shot of Ilia even though she looks completely fine in the other one. The new textures are fantastic. While not 1:1 redraws in every case, they're very tastefully suited to the original artwork

It's respectful to the original game and holds true to its design. WWHD's lighting ruined the timeless art style the original put forth. Visually WW on GC has aged wonderfully and I'm rather spend my 50 hour play-through looking at the GC version than the HD re-release, which is straining on the eyes and arguably looks worse than WW on GC.

I still don't understand why this is such a popular attitude... you realize they're charging remake prices for this, right? And that at least two of the other four Zelda games were fully remade while the other was much more dramatically improved than this? I don't see any possible scenario in which a far less impressive remaster at the same price doesn't disappoint.

They may have done more work on TPHD than they did on WWHD. TP already had a farely robust lighting engine that needed to be altered or replaced piecemeal. WWHD had flat shading that had a lighting engine placed over it. Not the mention that the TPHD textures are MUCH more detailed than the flat cell shaded WWHD textures. One character in TPHD could have as much texture detail as an entire room in WWHD due the so many solid, flat one color textures being used in WW for the cel shading. I'm not talking about texture size, but the amount of detail the artist had to create.

Mistle

How come whenever fans do "texture packs" it's always super detailed and garish? Can't they tell it looks awful? (the middle one isn't so bad however)

I'm not against their efforts to improve the visuals but they really need to combine their technical knowledge with a partner who knows a thing or two about art.

Man, the models in this game weren't as good as I remembered... Ilia's forehead is massive and it looks like her chin disappeared.

Midna is the best girl confirmed.

ad4fNTe.jpg

He's lived in a world full of uggos; be kind to him, Midna.

Don't know where to post this so I'll just post here.

http://seisaku.himekawaakira.com/?eid=1108197

There will be a TPHD manga.

That's good to hear. The lack of a TP adaptation always kind of bugged me.

Twilight Princess has always been the ugly duckling of Zelda games. It was ugly when it released and it is ugly today. I don't know why people are acting surprised at how it looks. Sure, it's disappointing that after such fantastic looking remasters like WW HD, OOT 3D and MM 3D you get this drab and dull looking game with ugly characters but that is Twilight Princess. There is only so much you can improve without remaking the game from the ground up. I admit I expected some new lighting but at least the textures are much improved.

I'd love to see a Skyward Sword remaster, that game's art style just begs for an HD treatment. It would look amazing.

Astral Dog

Story? Twilight Princess had a dissapointing plot, everything after the third dungeon is terrible besides the bosses snd in the end there is the infamous Ganon twist.

TheMoon

If I wanted to be pedantic, smash also has a TP shiek design but it was never used in game

All in preparation to reveal that Sheik is the real actual secret Man/Woman/Birdo Behind the Curtain in TPHD's secret unlockable bonus ending you can access by scanning all 599 amiibo.

Story? Twilight Princess had a dissapointing plot, everything after the third dungeon is terrible besides the bosses snd in the end there is the infamous Ganon twist.
"Oh hey, I'm being executed. Suddenly triforce out of nowhere"

"It was me link, it was me all along"

So dumb. Everything after arbiters ground is just bleh

Seems they cut down the Ordon Village Tutorials perhaps, because it looks like you are no longer forced to give up the Wooden Sword:

GC:

yDAQOgI.png

HD:

G8uiPtk.png

Nocturno999

The only problem I see is that the combat looks too obsolete.
Kind of bummed since I never played the GC/Wii version and wanted to try this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
It's funny, people shat on the remaster of Darksiders 2, but it did way more, reworked textures to include normal mapping, added PBR, completely reworked the lighting engine as a result.

This is just some slight polygonal touch ups and a texture swap.

Yeah, Wind Waker was miles ahead, but this is just a remaster after all.

The game has gotten old, this much I can tell you. It's good that it lets you begin with hero mode if you wish so - will add a little challenge to it.

TheMoon

It's funny, people shat on the remaster of Darksiders 2, but it did way more, reworked textures to include normal mapping, added PBR, completely reworked the lighting engine as a result.

This is just some slight polygonal touch ups and a texture swap.

...and all the gameplay stuff you're leaving out.

Dizzy

Banned
TP was so ugly that even a small improvement is welcome. It's nice to see the textures touched up, they were awful in the original.

Is there any word on resolution yet? I hope it's 1080P.

TheMoon

What gameplay changes have they made? I know of the Poe Lantern, but what else? :p I've been out of the loop.

everything we know so far is here: http://zeldawiki.org/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Twilight_Princess_HD

they have yet to give a full rundown of features as you know and a lot of it isn't even really documented (which you see by looking at the WWHD page with all those little changes)

TP was so ugly that even a small improvement is welcome. It's nice to see the textures touched up, they were awful in the original.

Is there any word on resolution yet? I hope it's 1080P.

All the screenshots and trailers were put out at 1080p. Ninty tends to put those out in the game's native res so no reason to assume it isn't (WWHD was too).

Tempted to cancel my order. Division and Dark Souls 3 in the same month as this goes beyond my budget right now. Will the amiibo be sold stand alone later?

I still don't understand why they took the best looking game and overhauled the art and lighting, and they took a game that was infamous for looking like a bloom filled muddy disaster since the day it released and decided to be faithful to the original art.

Top Bottom