• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

leng jai

My Town Hall order from the 5th is finally "in process" as opposed to "customer service". Looks like I got in just before the great Aussie price hike. Free shipping plus the TC14 make it a pretty sweet deal in retrospect.

mjc

Looks like the Firefly Cuusoo got declined. I wish Lego would make more sets intended for adults. (In terms of design and complexity) There are so many awesome ideas and builds that they could produce (like the Serenity) that fans would gobble up, but of course they decline to produce it because they can't sell a set based off a show that's intended for older audiences. Even though they have sets with minifigures that use guns and all kinds of weapons. Ridiculous.

Looks like the Firefly Cuusoo got declined. I wish Lego would make more sets intended for adults. (In terms of design and complexity) There are so many awesome ideas and builds that they could produce (like the Serenity) that fans would gobble up, but of course they decline to produce it because they can't sell a set based off a show that's intended for older audiences. Even though they have sets with minifigures that use guns and all kinds of weapons. Ridiculous.

People should really stop trying to get cuusoo from IP owned by big media. You aren't going to get News Corp, Disney or anyone else to license IP without some serious negotiation.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

I love Cuusoo and what it represents, but there are a lot of sketchy decisions they make. The comparison of LotR and ANYTHING with violence is prime. It's a bit sad that they would use the argument of violence when there are CLEARLY violent undertones in some of the current themes they are offering.

As for the larger and more complex sets, it's odd to me that LEGO wouldn't at least consider some of these larger ideas (with obvious limitations on piece count). The popularity of the hyper-expensive sets only further proves the point that if a set is well designed, AFOL's will buy it no matter the price tag.

People should really stop trying to get cuusoo from IP owned by big media. You aren't going to get News Corp, Disney or anyone else to license IP without some serious negotiation.

Yup. Minecraft was niche enough it was probably easy to get licensed. But the movie and TV sets are just way too big, and if Lego thought they could get stuff from those IPs they probably would have gone after it themselves.

modular...western....town.......

Modular Minas Tirith. Make it happen, Lego!

I love Cuusoo and what it represents, but there are a lot of sketchy decisions they make. The comparison of LotR and ANYTHING with violence is prime. It's a bit sad that they would use the argument of violence when there are CLEARLY violent undertones in some of the current themes they are offering.

The violence aspect is just an easy cop out. The real reason is that they don't want to negotiate with News Corp over license issues over such a small product line. Same thing with Shaun of the Dead and whomever owns that IP (I am assuming Universal or Vivendi).

You aren't going to pay lawyers, go through 6 months to multiple years of negotiations, and finally come up with a deal unless you plan on doing a wide release like Marvel, LoTR, or Star Wars.

How many Cuusoo sets do they make? Under 5,000 probably. The profit margin just isn't there.

ghostmind

Yup. Minecraft was niche enough it was probably easy to get licensed. But the movie and TV sets are just way too big, and if Lego thought they could get stuff from those IPs they probably would have gone after it themselves.

Modular Minas Tirith. Make it happen, Lego!

Modular Cloud City ;)

...only 650 more votes needed for the Western Town...

Modular Cloud City ;)

...only 650 more votes needed for the Western Town...

Nah. I want an entire line based around Cloud City. The biggest set being this huge and imposing model of the city itself, the smallest set being a Cloud Car or something.

And just for kicks, make a set where you build Lobot's earmuffs or whatever they were.

ghostmind

Nah. I want an entire line based around Cloud City. The biggest set being this huge and imposing model of the city itself, the smallest set being a Cloud Car or something.

And just for kicks, make a set where you build Lobot's earmuffs or whatever they were.

I could go for a UCS Cloud City, in the style of the Death Star II

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
And let's be honest: who cares about a submarine and a satellite? I know they achieved the most votes but WHY

This confused me as well. The model was gorgeous, definitely...But in all seriousness, I really did wonder why those got more votes than, say, the Modular Western Town.

ghostmind

This confused me as well. The model was gorgeous, definitely...But in all seriousness, I really did wonder why those got more votes than, say, the Modular Western Town.

CUUSOO was beta-tested in Japan, hence the first two projects being of Japanese origin.

Otherwise, why not have the Hubble or Apollo lunar lander instead of the Hayabusa?

I could go for a UCS Cloud City, in the style of the Death Star II

Oh, how many of us would.

I have said it a few times in this thread, but an entire line of Cloud City stuff would be bonkers. Cloud City, Cloud Car, carbonite freezing chamber, landing dock complete with Slave One, the balcony where Luke gets his hand cut off, Darth Vader's torture room, Droid scrap parts room. And make them individual sets and not the all in one thing like they did before.

depths20XX

Fire Brigade, Grand Emporium, and Pet Shop are sitting on my back porch right now..

Hate when packages come when I'm at work...wish I had an excuse to get out of here.

Can anyone confirm for me if there are any stickers in the Magneto/Wolverine/Deadpool Helicopter set?

I'm thinking of buying two to qualify for the Hulk minifig as I can hold on to one for my nephew, and I'd like to know if there is the possiblity of bent stickers in the box.

Thank you.

Just grabbed 7 more mini figs. Wound up with two more Black Knights (3 total now) but for new figs I for Merman, 2 red riding hood, and 2 space marine. Glad about knight and marines.

Naka

Can anyone confirm for me if there are any stickers in the Magneto/Wolverine/Deadpool Helicopter set?

I'm thinking of buying two to qualify for the Hulk minifig as I can hold on to one for my nephew, and I'd like to know if there is the possiblity of bent stickers in the box.

Thank you.

No stickers in this set.

Whoa, LEGO needs to do this! I could hardly believe that was all LEGO from that pic.

4523884600_5db25da53b_z.jpg

Cuusoo voting page
More pics

I dropped by my local Target and then TRU stores, both stores were completely out of stock of minifigures. And if I ordered online I wouldn't be able to know what I'm paying for.

So I'm thinking about just giving up on being into LEGO. I'm sick of how tedious it is to get my hands on them. Shit is always overpriced and often out of stock and I'm about done with it.

As amazing and awesome as that set would be, that is a HUGE set. That would retail for about $800+ if it came out like that.

I am sure they could make it mini fig scale and get the piece count down to like 5-6K or so. And it would be a very imposing piece on display.

Ya, I don't think it dawned on me how tall that was even though it had a mini fig and a snowspeeder for scale. Looking at the ones on my desk, heh it definitely would be huge, but it's also one of my all time favorite Star Wars vehicles so I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

I dropped by my local Target and then TRU stores, both stores were completely out of stock of minifigures. And if I ordered online I wouldn't be able to know what I'm paying for.

So I'm thinking about just giving up on being into LEGO. I'm sick of how tedious it is to get my hands on them. Shit is always overpriced and often out of stock and I'm about done with it.

Just save up and order the sets you want online. That is what I do. I only get the mini figs on impulse myself, and sets I plan on.

Yeah, I guess I could always ebay or bricklink the Evil Knight and Space Marine.

What minifigs do you have? I have three knights now and two space marines. I am not trying to complete any sets, but just trying to get some cool figs that I like. I wouldn't mind a trade of figure for figure if you want to.

Appreciate the offer! But I don't have any other ones.

:( From any series, at all? Oh well. I honestly don't know what other figs I want to tell you the truth. Space Marine was the last series 7 one I actually wanted. And I have a few extra genies from series 6. Not a fan of that figure.

Shit, that reminds me. I need to take some new Deadpool pics!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
CUUSOO was beta-tested in Japan, hence the first two projects being of Japanese origin.

Otherwise, why not have the Hubble or Apollo lunar lander instead of the Hayabusa?

Are there any Apollo projects on cuusoo? I'd give them all my money for a large lunar lander set, or a Saturn V

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ya, I don't think it dawned on me how tall that was even though it had a mini fig and a snowspeeder for scale. Looking at the ones on my desk, heh it definitely would be huge, but it's also one of my all time favorite Star Wars vehicles so I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

They've done two or three AT-ATs in the past. I have the motorised walking one which is really good looking but much smaller and simpler than that one. Regardless of how gorgeous a model is, you aren't getting an 8,000 piece set produced

They've done two or three AT-ATs in the past. I have the motorised walking one which is really good looking but much smaller and simpler than that one. Regardless of how gorgeous a model is, you aren't getting an 8,000 piece set produced

Nope. But I do think with some clever brickwork they could get something really detailed and massive down to the 5k brick mark or so.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nope. But I do think with some clever brickwork they could get something really detailed and massive down to the 5k brick mark or so.

Maybe. I just can't see it. The motorised one 10178 (so UCS/exclusive numbering) was 1200 pieces. It isn't perfect, but I can't see them going that big - even the SSD is only around 3,000 pieces.

Maybe. I just can't see it. The motorised one 10178 (so UCS/exclusive numbering) was 1200 pieces. It isn't perfect, but I can't see them going that big - even the SSD is only around 3,000 pieces.

I was just referring to how much they could shave off of the 8k that model shown is. They could probably get it down even further, like the 3K range, but might have to sacrifice some size to get it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I was just referring to how much they could shave off of the 8k that model shown is. They could probably get it down even further, like the 3K range, but might have to sacrifice some size to get it.

I know. But how much do you shave off before you just have 'how about a UCS AT-AT' as the cuusoo project - just an idea rather than the original creation? I suppose some adjustment is inevitable as the company ensures the model adheres to their building guidelines though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom