• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
From bricklink up you can view the inventory of a set and add it to a wanted list. Then you can go through and see which stores have the most of the pieces you need and buy them.

In the case of cafe corner, I had about half the pieces already, the rest were either bought from bricklink, or from Lego.com (the roof slopes were very expensive on bricklink so I got those from Lego.com)

Others have done the UCS millennium falcon the same way for way less than the price of buying a full set

Cool, I'm checking this out now to see what a UCS Falcon is going to cost. One question though, I might be doing this wrong, but after I add the set, it's not adding the quantity of each piece type. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, figured out that I didn't have the box check to set the quantity automatically.

ghostmind

Anyone finish R2-D2 yet?

I'd like to hear a Gaffer's review since I have to wait 30 days for it to ship...

I'm in the process of deconstructing my modulars. Once I have my display shelf cleared, I'll start working on R2 (and then the SSD after). Should have R2 done this week.

Cool, I'm checking this out now to see what a UCS Falcon is going to cost. One question though, I might be doing this wrong, but after I add the set, it's not adding the quantity of each piece type. Am I doing something wrong?

Edit: Nevermind, figured out that I didn't have the box check to set the quantity automatically.

Probably going to be about $800-900 if you shop smart.

Christian

I'm usually pretty good at feeling them out, but It seems to me like the figs this time have more accessories than normal. As a result, the packs are fuller. I think the Valkyrie's smaller shield tricked me, and the Space Marine's chest plate duped me. There's so much stuff to sort through that I get annoyed. If anyone ends up with an extra Evil Knight that they don't want, seriously, please let me know. I'll trade. I'll give you a reasonable amount of money. I'll even be the surrogate mother for your child, even though I am undeniably not a woman.

neonglow

For the past 2 series, I just buy the big box of 60 and split it with 2 other people. It's guaranteed to be 3 full sets in the box. Much easier and cheaper doing it this way.

Fantomex

I'm usually pretty good at feeling them out, but It seems to me like the figs this time have more accessories than normal. As a result, the packs are fuller. I think the Valkyrie's smaller shield tricked me, and the Space Marine's chest plate duped me. There's so much stuff to sort through that I get annoyed. If anyone ends up with an extra Evil Knight that they don't want, seriously, please let me know. I'll trade. I'll give you a reasonable amount of money. I'll even be the surrogate mother for your child, even though I am undeniably not a woman.

Hey Dude, we got a second evil knight yesterday. I can trade or let you have it if you want. Just be patient and I can try to mail it next Wednesday if thats ok? PM me if you'd like, I'm in Cali.

MTE

Yeah, dude :(. Feel our pain.

Funnily enough, I just picked up the X-Wing for 89AUD, brand new from a vendor based in Melbourne (shopforme.com.au - highly recommended). If you go through the usual retail canals, yes, you do get stung. And with importing from the US and whatnot, the shipping often elipses the actual cost of the set - especially with the larger sets.

Thanks for the link! I checked out their site, but as I live in Tasmania, after a little research it turns out it was cheaper to buy it (The X-Wing) from Amazon France. It cost about $95, which is cheaper than I could have done from shopforme or Amazon UK. Amazon USA won't ship it.

suplex

I'm terrible at feeling out what's what with the minifigures. Last week I bought five and wound up with two viking girls, two tennis bros, and a little red riding hood, and I was trying for space marine, computer nerd, and bunny man. Somehow I thought the vikings might have been space marines, and the others who knows.

I did better at the Lego store Friday, partially due to the fact there was a kid there who was a pro. He found me a space marine and computer nerd, and he also found another kid there a bunny man. I managed to find a space marine, black marine, and daredevil myself. I wound up getting everything I wanted, except the bunny man.

If anyone wants to trade, I have duplicates of viking girl, tennis bro, and computer nerd, and I'm looking for the bunny man, and space marines (I'm looking to amass a small army of those.)

rataven

Paid a visit to my local Lego shop, and R2 was soooold out. Bummer. Did see the model though, and he's pretty rad. I'm going to be pestering that store for the next couple of days in the hope that my timing is right for the next shipment.

Christian

So, this is kinda OT and it may've been talked about in here previously (I'm relatively new to the thread)... But what's going on with PotC? Are they going to be revealing new sets, or has the license expired? Are they waiting for a fifth movie? I feel like there's a ton of unmet potential (how awesome would a Flying Dutchman ship be?), and I have a soft spot for the Pirates theme, so I would like to see some new stuff. But it's been so quiet since the Black Pearl came out in October.

Gotta love that I made a visit to my family recently and was talking about my re addiction to lego. My Mother has gone out since then and gotten hooked on the minifig bags. Today I went in to make a quick visit and she bought more and told me how she got a extra Roman Soldier (I have wanted this little guy for a while now) and handed it to me.

Score!

So, this is kinda OT and it may've been talked about in here previously (I'm relatively new to the thread)... But what's going on with PotC? Are they going to be revealing new sets, or has the license expired? Are they waiting for a fifth movie? I feel like there's a ton of unmet potential (how awesome would a Flying Dutchman ship be?), and I have a soft spot for the Pirates theme, so I would like to see some new stuff. But it's been so quiet since the Black Pearl came out in October.

Can't remember where I read it, but apparently PotC under performed for Lego and the line is being discontinued. Rumor also has it that they did develop a Flying Dutchman, but it won't be produced because of the line's lackluster sales.

Does anybody have any tips on creating inside corners?

I'm trying to build a smooth (no-stub) "room" and I'm having real difficulty coming up with a clean method to get a flat 90 degree angle on both the horizontal and vertical corners.

Any suggestions? I've looked at a few "snot" guides to no avail. No matter what I do I have a small gap between the walls and the floor...I feel like I'm close to a solution but any help would be appreciated.

This is the gap I'm talking about. Excuse the dusty pieces.

DjXYnl.jpg

Dat Sopwith.

What do you reckon? 3500AUD?
lol

I want to be Jamie so bad.

Thanks for the link! I checked out their site, but as I live in Tasmania, after a little research it turns out it was cheaper to buy it (The X-Wing) from Amazon France. It cost about $95, which is cheaper than I could have done from shopforme or Amazon UK. Amazon USA won't ship it.

No problemo! Yeah, it's mainly the fact that it's merely a 15 minute drive from my place of work to their storage location. These days, I'm a massive sucker for anything that gets the product to me faster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't shopforme's shipping cost 8.65AUD, which brings it to a total of around $98? You weren't willing to part with another $3 for what would most likely be a much shorter transit time? Man, I'd have been all over that! Unless shipping to Tasmania is a whole different story, of course.

SiteSeer

The shield is a dead givaway for the Dark Knight. Space Marine can be found by the big armor piece. Only other piece that big in series 7 is the Aztec helmet.
I was feeling for the space marine or dark knight but ended up with the merman king, but I did feel out the programmer which i wanted most, the trick was to find his cup-o-joe.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I was feeling for the space marine or dark knight but ended up with the merman king, but I did feel out the programmer which i wanted most, the trick was to find his cup-o-joe.

Programer is last one in series 7 I want.

Got Bunny Man, Spae Marine, Bagpipe Man and Dark Knight. Didn't really want Aztec guy, but it's OK.

leng jai

Aussies should really look into Amazon.fr and Amazon.it when it comes to bigger sets. Prices fluctuate a bit but if you're diligent there are plenty of good deals for the Death Star, SSD, T1 Van, MMMV etc.

MTE

No problemo! Yeah, it's mainly the fact that it's merely a 15 minute drive from my place of work to their storage location. These days, I'm a massive sucker for anything that gets the product to me faster.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't shopforme's shipping cost 8.65AUD, which brings it to a total of around $98? You weren't willing to part with another $3 for what would most likely be a much shorter transit time? Man, I'd have been all over that! Unless shipping to Tasmania is a whole different story, of course.

Well, now you say it like that... >_< Turns out Barnes & Nobles might have been cheaper, too! Oh well, what's done is done :p Should probably have picked up more than one set, to lessen the sting of shipping (Almost 1/3 of the total price).

As for shipping to Tas, it's no different, I'm just a penny pincher, obviously :p
I do quite often pay for convenience, and at $100, it's almost worth just going to Target and picking it up for $120, it's more the principal of it... ('cause buying less LEGO will really drop the price...)

Fantomex

We thankfully got the minifigs down :) we go to the Lego store near our house and can pick out the figs we want when going through packs. One thing some of you might want to ask for at your Lego store is the minifig display set. The employees set them next to us so that we can compare with the real set and we know what to look for. They are very nice and helpful. We've gotten to the point where we stay a little bit later and help other people get the figs they want. A couple of tips for the hard figs.

Aztec - feel for his helmet, it is huge and has a staircase feel to it. The staircase splits. It's pointy consistently.

Space Marine - The bulkiest of all the packs. Look for his huge shoulder/chest piece. And then feel out his perfectly round helmet with a slit in it.

Hippie - your whole index finger can slide in his head/helmet

Rocker Girl - Look for a V, that's her guitar.

Programmer - Look for a perfect rectangle with no pegs. That's his suitcase

Evil Knight - his shield bends. It feels like an oval or a thick piece of paper that can almost feel like plastic from a credit card which can bend.

Viking Lady - her helmet feels round and pointy but feel it down and it makes a upside down V, those are her pigtails attached to her helmet.

Bunny Costume - DON'T LOOK FOR THE CARROT AT FIRST! You will end up with sea king or programmer or even tennis player. Feel for his helmet with ears. It is not flimsy but very thick. And the ears have a curve that might make you think it's a Viking lady, however her pigtails are thin and flat. His ears are curved and thick. Then if your still not sure look for thE carrot that feels more like a torch or even pickle :)

Red Riding Hood - the easiest of te bunch when you look for her basket. It is made of rubber. If you feel like your squeezing a gummi bear or a Hello kitty type eraser that's it.

Don't make the same time wasting mistake I was doing, always looking for the helmet first. Look for those key components and you'll have a easier time.

I hope it helps save $3 bucks :)

it might seem silly, but ever since amazon i dont like ordering stuff and having to pay postage.

surly im not the only one that sits there thinking I would order more and with less hesitation from the likes of LEGO if they didnt include the pesky postage fee...
as it stands I have a checkout bag full of items, that I would quite possibly order at a heartbeats notice if the postage costs where not listed... o_O

Does anybody have any tips on creating inside corners?

I'm trying to build a smooth (no-stub) "room" and I'm having real difficulty coming up with a clean method to get a flat 90 degree angle on both the horizontal and vertical corners.

Any suggestions? I've looked at a few "snot" guides to no avail. No matter what I do I have a small gap between the walls and the floor...I feel like I'm close to a solution but any help would be appreciated.

This is the gap I'm talking about. Excuse the dusty pieces.
im not sure I can really help you but surely if you use regular bricks you will have a non stub wall :p

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Cuusoo serenity got rejected on the grounds of 'inappropriate content for the core 6-11 age group'. Which is strange as the movie was I think a PG-13, same as many of the movies Lego already produces sets from, and I don't remember much from the movie that would be inappropriate. The tv show is a little more grown up in theme, but I don't think you'll suddenly get kids wanting to watch it.

Well, now you say it like that... >_< Turns out Barnes & Nobles might have been cheaper, too! Oh well, what's done is done :p Should probably have picked up more than one set, to lessen the sting of shipping (Almost 1/3 of the total price).

As for shipping to Tas, it's no different, I'm just a penny pincher, obviously :p
I do quite often pay for convenience, and at $100, it's almost worth just going to Target and picking it up for $120, it's more the principal of it... ('cause buying less LEGO will really drop the price...)

Ha. Sorry to burst your bubble, mang. Like you said, though: what's done is done; you're a soon-to-be proud owner of an X-Wing.

I totally get the penny-pinching and wanting to get the best price, as it definitely does add up, but when it comes to Lego, I'm more than willing to be a bit frivolous with my cash :).

For what it's worth, this is my second purchase from shopforme and in both instances, the boxes have been pristine; as if they just came from the Lego Factory itself. Sure, they've not been shipped to me, but I've heard fantastic things about their packaging.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Cuusoo serenity got rejected on the grounds of 'inappropriate content for the core 6-11 age group'. Which is strange as the movie was I think a PG-13, same as many of the movies Lego already produces sets from, and I don't remember much from the movie that would be inappropriate. The tv show is a little more grown up in theme, but I don't think you'll suddenly get kids wanting to watch it.

I can understand Shaun of the Dead, but Lord of the Rings is quite violent itself. Does Serenity have any kind of sexual themes?

The Sopwith Camel is actually listed as 130AUD on the Lego Shop, for those who are unaware. Quite the pleasant surprise; I was expecting at least 150.

Sumidor

So, I have a question for you guys...

How/what do you use to keep the dust off your Lego? I have a few sets that I like to leave out, and they get soooo dusty, and it's a pain in the ass to try and get the dust in between the little crevices. Any tips/tricks?

darkwing

How/what do you use to keep the dust off your Lego? I have a few sets that I like to leave out, and they get soooo dusty, and it's a pain in the ass to try and get the dust in between the little crevices. Any tips/tricks?

blower

SmokyDave

I will have that Sopwith. Oh yes, I will.

Maybe a can of compressed air? They sell 'em at PC shops. Never tried it but it seems like a good idea.

leng jai

The Sopwith Camel is actually listed as 130AUD on the Lego Shop, for those who are unaware. Quite the pleasant surprise; I was expecting at least 150.

Decent price for sure, and quite good once you wait for a 20% off sale. The Town Hall has jumped to $300 at Shop@Home though :S

wetwired

I figured to get the exclusive hulk minifigure later this month I'm going to give hopshopgo a shot and get it delivered to a US mail redirection service, I'm tempted to buy a few extra marvel sets actually and flog them off on ebay or something as the price difference is retarded.

Hulk comes with any purchase totaling over $50 right? (Or was it $75?) Not themed purchases? So I can order anything and get over the dollar limit, not just Marvel stuff?

depths20XX

Hmm, so when I ordered all my stuff last thursday I only got free shipping because a promo was going on? I thought maybe they always had free shipping from the Lego site. :/

Hmm, so when I ordered all my stuff last thursday I only got free shipping because a promo was going on? I thought maybe they always had free shipping from the Lego site. :/

yea, no sadly they only have free shipping for certain promotions... :-/
any news on what upcoming VIP deals could be?
what am I potentially holding out for?

I want double VIP points again, then LEGO will get all my money.

Cool. I'm a little disappointed it not the big Hulk like in the Helicarrier set.

Also, I just found out there's a Lego store in Austin. That'll be my next trip when I visit next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom