• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The London Heist PS4 Morpheus VR demo (video)

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Looks like Kinect plastered all over your face.

I don't think that type of VR will be much more than a fad.. nor do I think it'll sell units.

Nzyme32

The more I see demos like this, the more I think your typicla action game ISN'T what VR will be about.

The games that put you in a place to admire the details and to challenge your perceptions, will be the games that will truly offer something interesting and unique, and what will get people to try it. Not arcade on rails/wha-a-mole style shooters.

Something like say the Myst series, making a comeback would be AMAZING.

Imagine, Myst VR, that features puzzles that play with your senses in VR, that require you to explore and notice the details... it would be like the original, heralding a new way to look at games.

In terms of Myst VR, there is a game coming that seems to be pretty much that and actually has that as an influence. It's called The Gallery - Six Elements. It launches on the Vive and likely is now being made with that in mind, but they intend to support pretty much everything including Morpheus in 2016 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX1cum0vyWk

Majanew

Banned
After a second watch, games have got to improve greatly on Morpheus than what this shows. This honestly looks like Kinect for Sony. Big launch and then same ol games where you stand up and remain stationary while the game tries its hardest to mimic your hand's motion 1:1 and fails.

Any other Morpheus demonstrations similar to this where the player isn't just standing there looking around like the shark one? I just see failure written all over this in the end.

belmonkey

I feel kinda jaded seeing demos without much of a world to interact with, and only watching things happen or only involving a few steps around a set area.

IvorB

Mental note: don't ever let anyone watch me playing a VR game. It's quite a ridiculous spectacle.

Game looks kinda cool though but I'm not really sure I'm up for gaming with added mime.

Nzyme32

Looks awesome but I still want to see how Morpheus would play on a couch.

It would play fine, but much of the immersion and feeling of presence is diminished or fleeting unless you are in a cockpit or some other game type that forces your character to also be in a sat down position. Presence only really kicks in if you occupy the same stance as the character does

I feel kinda jaded seeing demos without much of a world to interact with, and only watching things happen or only involving a few steps around a set area.

That is in large part due to demo purposes. Using an analogue stick to move around in VR is either an ok experience or crap, while actually moving around yourself is what evokes the better response and feeling of actually being there.

So you need a PS Eye + two wands in addition to the headset?

I got a real Kinect vibe looking at that.

For this particular demo, sure; it also makes sense here since it's demoing individual hand movement as well. In the long run however, I imagine Sony is well aware that the fewer peripheral hardware barriers they put between the PS4 owner and Morpheus, the more they'll move. The Eye is a given for tracking, but we'll likely see games allow you to use your DS4.

Donos

it's funny seeing his body language and head movement. Really into it.

What all VR companies could add later is rumble vests. So that if you get hit (or fall etc.), it rumbles at your body, to help the immersion.

VR still has a long way to go but people saying it's going to be a "fad" like 3D don't see the potential. PS5, XB2.0 are going incorporate it more i guess.

It would play fine, but much of the immersion and feeling of presence is diminished or fleeting unless you are in a cockpit or some other game type that forces your character to also be in a sat down position. Presence only really kicks in if you occupy the same stance as the character does
Yeah, just what I thought. Playing games like NMS and Driveclub on a couch would work well but not so much for a FPS. Not that wouldn't be possible to play it with a controller but it would definitely be weird and not ideal.

BadWolf

Looking good, the guy really got into it.

The floating hands here, and in other demos, still bother me know. Hope they can do something about that in final games.

looks awesome. Guy seems like he's having a ton of fun.

Also that WipEout track around the robot house. Tease or cruel joke? You decide.

Alx

Lol, what did he expect, blind firing while hiding behind a desk. He must have played too many cover shooters. :p

Septimus

I know a lot of people are banking on already having Moves but I really wish they would make a Move 2 with a stick. That way you can use two instead of using one plus the nav controller.

Krejlooc

Banned
The floating hands here, and in other demos, still bother me know. Hope they can do something about that in final games.

You can use forward kinematics to attach an arm, but there is disconnect if, as an example, you twist your elbow because there is nothing to track the position of the forearm separate from the upper shoulder. We have proprioception even in our elbows, and the position being off will shatter the illusion. As an example, in HL2VR, we have a mode to enable forearms but disable it for that very reason.

Something like PrioVR with a dedicated sensor in both positions on the arm can make it work.

Man

Into the Deep, Street Luge, The London Heist, Robot Playground, Castle.

So far Sony have made highly polished VR demos. Will be interesting to see Valve and Oculus reveal internal projects of their own.

I know a lot of people are banking on already having Moves but I really wish they would make a Move 2 with a stick. That way you can use two instead of using one plus the nav controller.
I actually think this will happen (that new Move controllers are introduced). It's 'free' accessory money and they actually have a reason for doing so.

Looks like it works! Good.

I'm more interested in games with only the headtracking part. Give me GT7 and let me look around while in cockpit view will be amazing.

BadWolf

You can use forward kinematics to attach an arm, but there is disconnect if, as an example, you twist your elbow because there is nothing to track the position of the forearm separate from the upper shoulder. We have proprioception even in our elbows, and the position being off will shatter the illusion. As an example, in HL2VR, we have a mode to enable forearms but disable it for that very reason.

Something like PrioVR with a dedicated sensor in both positions on the arm can make it work.

Thanks for the explanation :)

Krejlooc

Banned
Into the Deep, Street Luge, The Heist, Robot Playground, Castle.

So far Sony have made highly polished VR demos. Will be interesting to see Valve and Oculus reveal internal projects of their own.

I actually think this will happen (that new Move controllers are introduced). It's 'free' accessory money and they actually have a reason for doing so.

Valve's demos have been incredibly polished. They just don't have videos of them floating around the internet.

Epic also makes really awesome VR demos.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
give it to me now..please
tumblr_nich0kcSpz1ts7qndo2_500.gif

The VR will change my life

Looks really good. Can't wait for consumer VR :)

Remember though: never go full VR
http://a.pomf.se/xfvmym.webm

Krejlooc

Banned
It looks cool, but I how will VR let your character move forward or backwards in game?

With the buttons in your hand. Forward motion along an expected vector isn't sickening in VR. Backwards motion... more so, but not a game breaker. It's lateral rotation that is the killer. The solution to that, thus far, is to have the person actually, physically turn IRL. Swivel chairs will be a big thing for VR.

vin-buc

How much of the black borders do you see around the OLED. I went into a Sony store and tried the HMZ head mounted display (supposed to replicate a 175 inch screen experience) playing the Lion King. It was a joke and laughable to spend nearly $1000 on it. This device was purely for a movie experience.

Those borders would kill it for me.

Krejlooc

Banned
How much of the black borders do you see around the OLED. I went into a Sony store and tried the HMZ head mounted display (supposed to replicate a 175 inch screen experience) playing the Lion King. It was a joke and laughable to spend nearly $1000 on it. This device was purely for a movie experience.

Those borders would kill it for me.

Take both of your hands and make a cup with them, like you are looking through binoculars, like this:

GiUKSPP.jpg

Now put your hands up against your face. Give or take a few degrees, that's what a good ~100 FOV will look like in VR.

vin-buc

Take both of your hands and make a cup with them, like you are looking through binoculars, like this:

GiUKSPP.jpg

Now put your hands up against your face. Give or take a few degrees, that's what a good ~100 FOV will look like in VR.

LOL - here i am in my office at work making this gesture not bad but I hope they have good optics that can minimize the borders both horizontally and vertically. I have google cardboard and tried some of the VR apps with my One Plus. There's definitely potential.

Krejlooc

Banned
LOL - here i am in my office at work making this gesture not bad but I hope they have good optics that can minimize the borders both horizontally and vertically. I have google cardboard and tried some of the VR apps with my One Plus. There's definitely potential.

I don't really see the boarders when looking forward. I can't really see the upper limits at all, actually. I see the boarders mainly when I am turning my head or I crane my eyes hard left or right. One difference in VR, for the moment, is that there is no eye tracking, and the lenses have a very narrow fovea. Because of this, you can't really look around with your eyes like you can in real life. Eye tracking and foveated rendering and improved optics will eventually fix this. Eye tracking is extremely early tech however, it won't be ready for another 5 or so years. The FOVE is an eye-tracking enabled VR headset that demoed at SVVR the other day, but people said they got incredibly sick from it because our proprioception is at it's absolute strongest in our eyes. We need extremely low latency tracking for the eyes.

Going forward, now that VR devices are already in the stage where many are using dual displays, the horizontal boarders will gradually move out until they are unnoticeable. I have a pair of wearality high FOV lenses on order, I plan on trying to retrofit them into a headset. Those give about 150 degree FOV.

Damn, you could probably skip leg days at the gym if you play enough of these type of games.

The disconnected hand / floating gun thing still bugs me a bit.

Nzyme32

Damn, you could probably skip leg days at the gym if you play enough of these type of games.

Keep in mind that, that is your impression viewing it as a video on a tradition screen. From what I have read, it is far preferable to have hands only over trying to put a full body in there which doesn't actually sync to your own body (since there is no real way of doing that accurately with Morpheus). One of the complaints that popped up with Tested's discussion of it following the Vive demo, was that the Heist demo doesn't actually have the correct dimensions for where your hands should be, making it feel wrong since they are further from you than they should be (in his case)

Krejlooc

Banned

When you are in the demo, it doesn't bother you at all. Having a forearm that isn't mimicking what your forearm is doing in real life is way more bothersome.

These floating hands work in VR well because - and this is really hard to explain to anybody who hasn't tried VR or, worse, has tried something like Kinect or Move on a normal TV which does the exact opposite - your hand appears to be in space where your brain reports it is. That's called proprioception, our body parts have the ability to report to our brains where they are in relation to our head. That's why police tell you to close your eyes, tilt your head back, and touch your nose with your fingers when you are going through a sobriety test - alcohol affects our proprioception. Drunk people's bodies report back poorly, which is part of the reason they stumble when walking.

In a sober person, we have strong proprioception in our hands and fingers. Our bodies know where they are in space, even when we don't see them, to a pretty high degree. Obviously our eyes have the highest proprioception in our body. But in VR, unlike kinect or the wii or whatever, those floating hands seem so right because our eyes see them in the correct position our proprioception reports them to be. That cumulative feedback - multiple systems in our body aligning correctly - helps fool us into believing what we see is real, even if our conscious mind knows it is not.

barit

Looks amazing. And that's why I think Morpheus will have the most success of all VR devices next year. A closed system with the best possible configuration, easy plug and play and a reasonable price (if the headset don't exceed the 399€ pricepoint). Sony is on a very good way

Shin-Ra

I think it'd be better if you were firing a water pistol and you could see the tradjectory of the fired stream from different viewpoints.

Krejlooc

Banned
Keep in mind that, that is your impression viewing it as a video on a tradition screen. From what I have read, it is far preferable to have hands only over trying to put a full body in there which doesn't actually sync to your own body (since there is no real way of doing that accurately with Morpheus). One of the complaints that popped up with Tested's discussion of it following the Vive demo, was that the Heist demo doesn't actually have the correct dimensions for where your hands should be, making it feel wrong since they are further from you than they should be (in his case)

Spacial distancing is a function of interpupillary distance. The morpheus demo units have an IPD that is pretty narrow according to those who measured. Those who reported the hands being "further away than they should be" have a wider IPD than the morpeheus accommodates for. Having a good IPD detecting and correction solution is very important for VR going forward, the current oculus rift calibration method is unacceptable for the mass public. There is rumor that CB has a camera internal that measures IPD on start up, and most assume Morpheus will have a manual IPD slider when released.

this, about a billion times.

no one wants to play games like this demo shows. you might think you do, but for no more than 10 minutes.

I've played games like this for hours at a time.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Finally a use for my Move controllers.

Vid looks excellent.

hesido

Let me use this opportunity to re-iterate that Sony did the worst damage to the "move" platform by not including analog sticks and a mandatory dual bundle with no extra navi-controller (because it would nullify the need)

Nzyme32

Spacial distancing is a function of interpupillary distance. The morpheus demo units have an IPD that is pretty narrow according to those who measured. Those who reported the hands being "further away than they should be" have a wider IPD than the morpeheus accommodates for. Having a good IPD detecting and correction solution is very important for VR going forward, the current oculus rift calibration method is unacceptable for the mass public. There is rumor that CB has a camera internal that measures IPD on start up, and most assume Morpheus will have a manual IPD slider when released.

That makes a whole lot more sense, thanks

Top Bottom