• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mega-Cave Shooter Post, because they're totally awesome and sweet

Yes Boss!

sammy said:
man, i wish they'd get some of these to the PS3 so i don't have to wory about region protection etc .... Japan 360 is getting all the love, what with the Raiden Jet fighter and all ... jealous !!

Tell me about it...I've got a RAP3 for my PS3 and would love to use that instead of my cheapy EX2.

The Japanese 360s are only about $275 but shipping from play-asia is $50 additional. Alternately, NCSX gets them in every so ofter and sells them for $290 with $20 UPS from New York.

The shooter lineup is considerable and it might be worth the investment: Raiden IV, Raiden Fighters, Shikigami III, Otomedius, Dodonpachi, Death Smiles.

sammy

Yes Boss! said:
The shooter lineup is considerable and it might be worth the investment: Raiden IV, Raiden Fighters, Shikigami III, Otomedius, Dodonpachi, Death Smiles.

xmass present to self, i will have to save up

ghibli99

Chiaroscuro said:
The more likely that there will be localizations, the less likely is a region-free release.

The sad thing is that if there are potential publishers for localizations, the Japanese release will be region locked for sure, even if the localizations never happen in the future.

Forget about the region-free stuff, it will not happen.
Yeah, it's tough, though... these games are the only reason I want a J-360, and it's going to cost like half a grand plus for the system and the games I want. I mainly want it for Ketsui and Death Smiles... DOJ is icing, but not necessary, since I still play the PS2 version regularly. Otomedius is also intriguing, but I want the controller too, which is going to make this one hell of a haul. Plus a stick for the 360. I might just have to do it, though, since I don't want a situation to arise where some of these games are going for $200 on eBay a few years from now.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
ghibli99 said:
I might just have to do it, though, since I don't want a situation to arise where some of these games are going for $200 on eBay a few years from now.

this possibility worries me. i probably won't buy a j360 until ketsui or deathsmiles, but i'm wondering if i should buy rf aces now -- no signs of scarcity yet, but these things can happen fast

Yes Boss!

ghibli99 said:
Yeah, it's tough, though... these games are the only reason I want a J-360, and it's going to cost like half a grand plus for the system and the games I want. I mainly want it for Ketsui and Death Smiles... DOJ is icing, but not necessary, since I still play the PS2 version regularly. Otomedius is also intriguing, but I want the controller too, which is going to make this one hell of a haul. Plus a stick for the 360. I might just have to do it, though, since I don't want a situation to arise where some of these games are going for $200 on eBay a few years from now.

Arcade Shock is still taking preorders for a late November/early December delivery of the HRAP EX. About $150 after delivery:

http://www.arcadeshock.com/items/pr...de-pro-ex-for-xbox-360-horixboxpro-detail.htm

drohne said:
this possibility worries me. i probably won't buy a j360 until ketsui or deathsmiles, but i'm wondering if i should buy rf aces now -- no signs of scarcity yet, but these things can happen fast

Both RFaces and Castle3 are constantly being re-supplied at play-asia (I saw both going from ships in 2 weeks to available now several times).

I am at the same situation since I just got my Japanese 360 and still did not bought those games (only Raiden IV at the moment). I missed the opportunity window to buy Castle 3 at a discount price at last play-asia summer sale, and now I am waiting for the next opportunity.

Now DeathSmiles LE should sky rocket in a few weeks, I suppose.

Yes Boss!

Chiaroscuro said:
I am at the same situation since I just got my Japanese 360 and still did not bought those games (only Raiden IV at the moment). I missed the opportunity window to buy Castle 3 at a discount price at last play-asia summer sale, and now I am waiting for the next opportunity.

My experience with play-asia is that if it says 1 Week just pop an order in and usually they will track it down. I did that for Raiden Aces a few months back and it was shipping within a week.

I'm thinking about getting that Shikigami III but I just bought the Wii version for $20...

STG!

I'm just hoping I'll see some decent price drops on a Ketsui PCB after the 360 release. I can finally snag that board after years of waiting (and missing an opportunity).

EDITED: I missed the news about Ketsui release data a few posts above and post it again.

Strange about the DeathSmiles pre-order thing (both versions are not available anymore, it says "opening soon"). But my order is still on place (I hope it is still valid).

Ouch, it seems that at least once I was fast and wise. I was searching what means for Play-Asia to start a pre-order and then close it, and I came with this sentence: "It means the stock that was granted to Playasia in the first place is now sold out. That doesn't mean that they probably won't get more of it in some time."

I guess it will be fine for people getting the standard edition (which will re-stock as often as they can) but if you are wanting the limited edition then it could be bad news.

Went to the Osaka games festa today (like a mini-TGS). Stopped by the MS booth where BLEX and Ketsui were available to play.
Took video of a scrubby guy getting through the first level of Ketsui. Judge for yourself.

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=bWCwc_Mapck

I also chatted with the 5pb rep again and he told me that the reason Ketsui EX has been delayed were concerns about the accuracy of the port. So yes it looks like they will take their time with it.

Yes Boss!

Chiaroscuro said:
EDITED: I missed the news about Ketsui release data a few posts above and post it again.

Strange about the DeathSmiles pre-order thing (both versions are not available anymore, it says "opening soon"). But my order is still on place (I hope it is still valid).

I think maybe they just put it up too early and are waiting till the street date gets confirmed... so they don't get screwed on the fluctuating exchange rate. I really do want to get the limited Deathsmiles. A lot of the upcoming shooters are $70+.

Also, Raiden Aces, Raiden IV and Shikigami III are all in stock at play-asia.

manzo

Yesasia changed my preorder's shipping date for DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label X to 29th of June 2009. :O

DDPDOJX pushed back?

Yes Boss!

manzo said:
Yesasia changed my preorder's shipping date for DoDonPachi DaiOuJou Black Label X to 29th of June 2009. :O

DDPDOJX pushed back?

Yeah, play-asia has it as TBA. So that mean DDP, Ketsui and Death Smiles are all still undated.

On a positive note I finally got in Ketsui DS!

http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/

Deathsmiles 360 release date announced! 4/23!
Price: 7140 yen for Regular Edition
9240 yen for LE

And the biggest news....check out this ill Deathsmiles stick they're going to be selling! :D :D

14,800 yen at Amazon
st.jpg

It's a hori stick with the "real arcade make" to it. No details on parts just yet.

Limited to Amazon.com looks like!

Yes Boss!

This news made my night. Now all we need it the announce for Ketsui.

Anybody have any ideas about Shooting Love? Is it worth a purchase if I'm a casual shmup fan?

Deathsmiles 360 is going to fucking rock.

And this will rock even harder:

Here we go folks.

First information trickling in about Deathsmiles 2.

img1.jpg

img2.jpg

img3.jpg

CAVE's AOU blog says that Windia is returning. Looking at that illustration, so is Casper. The setting of the game is apparently Christmas.

deth_title.jpg

Get hype!

Yes Boss!

Hyped indeed!!

April is officially Death Smiles month!

NCX has both versions up for preorder for folks stateside who want to get it a little quicker than play-Asia. I chose the LE for $109 since I'm getting the stick from them as well.

Yes Boss! said:
Hyped indeed!!

April is officially Death Smiles month!

NCX has both versions up for preorder for folks stateside who want to get it a little quicker than play-Asia. I chose the LE for $109 since I'm getting the stick from them as well.

Care to post a direct link? For some reason I cannot find it in the NCSX shop, searchs return nothing (?). I want to think about the stick...

Yes Boss!

Sorry about no link, I'm at work on my iPhone so I'll link it when I get home in a few hours. Alternately, do a google search for NCX blogspot and it will show up if you scroll down to a few days ago.

Damn, what happened to your avatar? You've had it for awhile and they just now deemed it NSFW.

Yes Boss! said:
Sorry about no link, I'm at work on my iPhone so I'll link it when I get home in a few hours. Alternately, do a google search for NCX blogspot and it will show up if you scroll down to a few days ago.

Damn, what happened to your avatar? You've had it for awhile and they just now deemed it NSFW.

No problem, GhostSeed already provided it (thanks!).

I do not know what happen to my avatar. Suddently someone thought it was NSFW I guess. I used for months and now this... And I do not think it was NSFW, seriously. Shame that now I cannot change it. If a moderator just dropped a message before I could have remove it...

adversesolutions said:
Deathsmiles 360 is going to fucking rock.

And this will rock even harder:

Here we go folks.

First information trickling in about Deathsmiles 2.

CAVE's AOU blog says that Windia is returning. Looking at that illustration, so is Casper. The setting of the game is apparently Christmas.

Get hype!

Great! How long usually takes a shmup in Japan to get a console port after the arcade release?

Chiaroscuro said:
Great! How long usually takes a shmup in Japan to get a console port after the arcade release?

It's never guaranteed at all that Cave shooters will be ported to console - hell, i'm still waiting for a port of Mushihime-sama Futari which was out almost exactly a year before DeathSmiles, but is yet to recieve a console port.

Cave prioritizes the arcade above all else. If a console version of a particular Cave shooter happens that's mainly because they have a sequel/revision/spin-off coming to the arcades very soon. By the time PS2 DoJ hit Black Label came out(and now Fukkatsu is out even though we still haven't got BL). By the time Deathsmilies 360 hits they'll have part 2 coming soon, etc

Let's not forget all of the games that slipped through the cracks as well, Dangun, Guwange, Esp Ra De, Muchi Muchi, Pink Sweets, Progear, and possibly Futari/Galuda 2 as well.

It's not entirely unlike most fighting game developers. Traditionally you won't see home ports of fighters for a long time after the arcade release. This is mainly due to the fact that most of their money is made there and most fans buy the home port as a complement to the arcade game instead of a replacement for it.

So theoretically with a good setup a home-port of a shooter could actually serve as a suitable replacement for the arcade version. Couple that with the incredibly niche genre and unless you have a replacement waiting in the wings it doesn't really work out for Cave to port most of the time if at all(And is probably why a good % of Cave's home ports are never done by Cave themselves.).

yeah, I know their money comes from the arcade business, so no sense in rushing home ports.

But I wonder when the shmup genre will upgrade to HD and widescreen. Death Smiles 2 would be perfect to be widescreen since it is horizontal, but by the image it seens they still are low def.

danmaku

The hori stick looks great, but will it work on windows too? It's too damn expensive for just a couple of games :(

I do not know if it was already discussed, but there is some info on the planned Death Smiles DLC.

You can read something about DLC in the following PDF: http://www.cave.co.jp/ir/archives/ir/pdf/2009/pr090130.pdf

I do not speak Japanese, so I am trying to translate it. It seems to be a new stage (Shrine crystal) and a new playable character (Sakura).

This is the stuff of the Black Label edition, right? If I am reading (translating) it right, 360 owners will have the brand new Death Smiles Black Label by download content. Cool.

The official blog (http://cave-game.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/) has some images:

mbl_1.jpg

mbl_2.jpg

mbl_3.jpg

In the same post there is some talk about the "only in Xbox 360" logo on the package, saying that no development (of the game) to other consoles is planned.

Another thing that I have noticed: pre-order for both versions at Amazon Japan includes a card for Full Voice DLC. What is that?

Tenkei

Chiaroscuro said:
Another thing that I have noticed: pre-order for both versions at Amazon Japan includes a card for Full Voice DLC. What is that?
You can download separate language tracks as DLC in Fable 2, so I imagine that Cave may be offering something similar to that.

Top Bottom