• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

remnants_zpseqfx1ekl.png

Rude (CA) - Remnants...

I posted these guys debut LP a while back, and I commended them for attempting to capture the seldom successfully emulated Florida sound. Their sophomore full-length came out just yesterday, and it improves on the former album in absolutely every way. OSDM worship done right, can't recommend this one enough. Once again a very accurate Morbid Angel-esque production and huge Autopsy vibes which is a plus. Super tight performances, van Drunen vocals to a tee, Dan Seagrave. This album rules.

Rude (CA) - Remnants...

I posted these guys debut LP a while back, and I commended them for attempting to capture the seldom successfully emulated Florida sound. Their sophomore full-length came out just yesterday, and it improves on the former album in absolutely every way. OSDM worship done right, can't recommend this one enough. Once again a very accurate Morbid Angel-esque production and huge Autopsy vibes which is a plus. Super tight performances, van Drunen vocals to a tee, Dan Seagrave. This album rules.

Nice find, I enjoy this a lot.

OSDM worship done right, can't recommend this one enough. Once again a very accurate Morbid Angel-esque production and huge Autopsy vibes which is a plus. Super tight performances, van Drunen vocals to a tee, Dan Seagrave. This album rules.

Yeah this fucking nails the old school sound. A nice Azagthoth-ian solo in the first track. Glad they did it proper and got Seagrave on the artwork. Gonna blast this some more but i'm loving what i've heard so far.

Production can be tough for an album like this. Having it sound even just a little too modern and the "old school" motif goes out the door, but a lot of bands over correct and end up with primitive sounding garbage. On a blind listen you could have told me this had came out in 1991 and I would have believed you.

I don't love most of Seagrave's later output (the digital look makes it look kind of sterile) so it's pretty cool that Rude requested that he use the same materials/techniques as he did for the classics. Makes a huge difference (and doesn't make it look like a Decrepit Birth cover or something)

Yeah the Polarity look is more what I'm referring to.

I'm not sure what my favorite Seagrave is but it's not Everflowing Stream. Three way tie between Erosion Of Sanity, Effigy Of The Forgotten, and Altars maybe

without thinking too hard about it, the two way tie for me is The Ten Commandments and Effigy of the Forgotten

cover8_detail.JPG

cover34_detail.JPG

peak Seagrave has so much insane detail and his color choice is impeccable.

I also love Dark Recollections. I mean what the fuck is this supposed to be? I have no idea but it's fucking metal.
website2_F0C3DC_detail.JPG

I'm loving this Seagrave-gasm we're having.

^ "The Innards of Someone with IBS"

I actually thought he was behind Pierced from Within for the longest time as well, but apparently it was just some one hit wonder from some Japanese guy.

They play metal.

Honestly to me you know it when you hear it

Five finger death punch is another one who I would not consider metal, probably on the precipice there, but when most of their discography consits of shit like jekyll and hyde, I would not categorize them as metal.

That song has 33 million views on youtube, people have terrible taste

Most of their discography doesn't consist of "Jekyll and Hyde" though. it's a split between stuff like "Remember Everything" and, I dunno, "Burn MFer." Split is probably pretty even dependent on the album.

J&H is the only song with like, talking in it, though he screams the verses live.

FFDP are a band I peg as metal, but again, they're also a band I like.

Bitanator

Most of their discography doesn't consist of "Jekyll and Hyde" though. it's a split between stuff like "Remember Everything" and, I dunno, "Burn MFer." Split is probably pretty even dependent on the album.

J&H is the only song with like, talking in it, though he screams the verses live.

FFDP are a band I peg as metal, but again, they're also a band I like.

I have given that band a chance multiple times, I only counted maybe a couple songs that I describe as metal. All the songs I was going through on youtube are hard rock or some form of alternative metal (which is metal in name only), I found some groove metal songs but their videos would suggest to me that those are few and far between on an album to definitively categorize them as metal.

If you would link some songs from them you would call metal I'd like that, so far I have found "Under and Over it" and "The Way of the Fist" to be their closet attempts, I would assume though that their first album is a lot more groove metal tinged than anything they released afterwards?

I have given that band a chance multiple times, I only counted maybe a couple songs that I describe as metal. All the songs I was going through on youtube are hard rock or some form of alternative metal (which is metal in name only), I found some groove metal songs but their videos would suggest to me that those are few and far between on an album to definitively categorize them as metal.

If you would link some songs from them you would call metal I'd like that, so far I have found "Under and Over it" and "The Way of the Fist" to be their closet attempts, I would assume though that their first album is a lot more groove metal tinged than anything they released afterwards?
How are we defining metal then? Becuase I could link a handful of songs that I think are some form of metal, and you could tell me they're hard rock, and I'm not sure anything of value would have transpired :p

I mean, you're already drawing the line at alternate metal, which to be fair is as meaningless as alt rock as a definition, but still.

Bitanator

How are we defining metal then? Becuase I could link a handful of songs that I think are some form of metal, and you could tell me they're hard rock, and I'm not sure anything of value would have transpired :p

I mean, you're already drawing the line at alternate metal, which to be fair is as meaningless as alt rock as a definition, but still.

We were discussing if Disturbed is metal or not, I don't think so, Five Finger Death Punch are not fully a metal band, I think they would agree with that as their most popular songs are hard rock or some form of slipknot, nu-metal alternative that it is not metal.

Wrong side of Heaven is not a metal ballad, it is none different than a Daughtry song, a lot of their material is this sort of style, Avenged Sevenfold. A song their fans mght define as metal "Wash It All Away" is as hard rock radio play as it gets.

That is why I was asking you if you can post some of their heavier songs for me, I have been through 30 of their songs now, I found a few groove metal songs, but this is not enough of a sample size to label them a metal band, They reach a much wider audience and cast a large net

We were discussing if Disturbed is metal or not, I don't think so, Five Finger Death Punch are not fully a metal band, I think they would agree with that as their most popular songs are hard rock or some form of slipknot, nu-metal alternative that it is not metal.

Wrong side of Heaven is not a metal ballad, it is none different than a Daughtry song, a lot of their material is this sort of style, Avenged Sevenfold. A song their fans mght define as metal "Wash It All Away" is as hard rock radio play as it gets.

That is why I was asking you if you can post some of their heavier songs for me, I have been through 30 of their songs now, I found a few groove metal songs, but this is not enough of a sample size to label them a metal band, They reach a much wider audience and cast a large net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REREkM1LyUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F73ALWfGksU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7lQZqtG_8Q

Few off the top of my head. Their label is really good at taking shit off of Youtube.

I'd like to know what the distinction between hard rock and metal is, if there is one. I mean music is math so there should be something there, but I've always kinda just gone off of feelings. You either know or don't, but clearly feelings are subjective since we're labeling bands under different genres.

Like, people keep going on about how Ghost is the big new metal band, but to me they sound more like hard rock than metal. Were I to buy an album and toss it on itunes though, I wouldn't change the genre if it came up as metal, which is kind of my goto at this point. :p

Edit: If it makes any difference, all the bands mentioned on this page are ones I'd call "radio metal." Basically, metal but mainstream friendly. There's a reason why my local station will play BFMV or A7X and not Amon Amarth. I don't see it as a problem for the genre at all though, because it was bands like Bullet and FFDP that got me to listen to Amon Amarth and Gojira and the like. I personally had to be eased into that level of vocal distortion and guitarwork.

Bitanator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REREkM1LyUA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F73ALWfGksU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7lQZqtG_8Q

Few off the top of my head. Their label is really good at taking shit off of Youtube.

I'd like to know what the distinction between hard rock and metal is, if there is one. I mean music is math so there should be something there, but I've always kinda just gone off of feelings. You either know or don't, but clearly feelings are subjective since we're labeling bands under different genres.

Like, people keep going on about how Ghost is the big new metal band, but to me they sound more like hard rock than metal. Were I to buy an album and toss it on itunes though, I wouldn't change the genre if it came up as metal, which is kind of my goto at this point. :p

Edit: If it makes any difference, all the bands mentioned on this page are ones I'd call "radio metal." Basically, metal but mainstream friendly. There's a reason why my local station will play BFMV or A7X and not Amon Amarth. I don't see it as a problem for the genre at all though, because it was bands like Bullet and FFDP that got me to listen to Amon Amarth and Gojira and the like. I personally had to be eased into that level of vocal distortion and guitarwork.

I hear you, I agree with your first thought as well to a degree, it is based somewhat on what you hear and what you think is heavy enough I guess, at least for me.

As for Ghost, you can hear metal clearly to me on their material, but I have heard some really pop like stuff "square hammer" which is infectious either way.

Those three songs you posted I would label the songs as metal, or at least in the same category as say a Hatebreed type of band, groove and hardcore elements.

I hear you, I agree with your first thought as well to a degree, it is based somewhat on what you hear and what you think is heavy enough I guess, at least for me.

As for Ghost, you can hear metal clearly to me on their material, but I have heard some really pop like stuff "square hammer" which is infectious either way.
I mean metal or not, "Square Hammer" is a pretty amazing song. I like their other stuff too. The genre really isn't important in that regard.

Listened to Sanctuary's latest album again. I'm still now sure this is any different than later Nevermore. It's a far cry from their first two albums.

Mayhem DMDS tour is weird

They're trying to sound like the album. Like both guitars are using a very similar shitty fizzy distortion. I really like how the album sounds and it's a novel idea but I don't think it translates well in a modern live setting (at least at the venue I just caught it at).

At a certain point I'd rather just hear the band at their best playing the songs I care about

I had a blast when they did it at MDF outside despite tech issues for the first few songs. Hoped it would go near perfect here and overall thought it was considerably worse. Also Black Anvil sucks, they were an ok/mediocre band when I saw them in 2012 and now they've mixed what sounds like 90's alternative rock into their shit. Nope

Not a big Inquisition fan but they were great

Mayhem DMDS tour is weird

They're trying to sound like the album. Like both guitars are using a very similar shitty fizzy distortion. I really like how the album sounds and it's a novel idea but I don't think it translates well in a modern live setting (at least at the venue I just caught it at).

At a certain point I'd rather just hear the band at their best playing the songs I care about

I had a blast when they did it at MDF outside despite tech issues for the first few songs. Hoped it would go near perfect here and overall thought it was considerably worse. Also Black Anvil sucks, they were an ok/mediocre band when I saw them in 2012 and now they've mixed what sounds like 90's alternative rock into their shit. Nope

Not a big Inquisition fan but they were great

The Metro in Chicago?

I just got back from that show. I thought it was great. Guitars weren't the perfect but Necrobutcher, Hellhammer, and Atilla were phenomenal. DMDS is one of my favorite albums ever and I don't care much about their other albums so maybe that's why.

I'm with you on the openers. I saw Inquisition in Japan with Sigh and Watain. They were better tonight but I can't get into them. There's about 33 % of stuff I like and the rest is either boring or funny.

The Metro in Chicago?

I just got back from that show. I thought it was great. Guitars weren't the perfect but Necrobutcher, Hellhammer, and Atilla were phenomenal. DMDS is one of my favorite albums ever and I don't care much about their other albums so maybe that's why.

I'm with you on the openers. I saw Inquisition in Japan with Sigh and Watain. They were better tonight but I can't get into them. There's about 33 % of stuff I like and the rest is either boring or funny.
Yeah it was mostly the guitars bringing it down for me

I think the problem is more The Metro than anything else, sound was quiet and "underwater" sounding but the fizzy guitars weren't helping. Unrelated to the band, a few too many drunk idiots who couldn't stand up on their own for my taste haha

Yeah it was mostly the guitars bringing it down for me

I think the problem is more The Metro than anything else, sound was quiet and "underwater" sounding but the fizzy guitars weren't helping. Unrelated to the band, a few too many drunk idiots who couldn't stand up on their own for my taste haha

The Metro's okay. It's really fucking dry though. Both times I've been there I've felt like I was dying. It has a pretty good balcony. I had a great view of everything. I wonder if the acoustics are different downstairs.

You're right about the crowd. People down there were terrible. It looked like a lot of people could barely stand. Also, I can't believe some idiot was holding up their iPad recording the show.

I'm not sure if anyone else is from Australia here. I'll post again before each event but if anyone going to the Sydney shows for Neurosis, Mgla or Alcest later in the year wants to grab a drink and hang with us, the more the merrier! Shoot me a message.

Does anyone agree that we kinda need a Doom / Stoner / Sludge / Psych OT? Would someone volunteer for that? :D I often have to resist the urge to post psychedelic or experimental music here.

Bands like Lo-Pan, Baroness, Sleep, Motorpsycho, Mutoid Man or Boris need a home! Some of these are too non-metal for the metal thread, too metal for the prog thread or too "this" for "that". You know what I mean. I don't want elitist genre discussions but real music talk instead.

It's easier with heavy doom or sludge stuff but even that doesn't fit when most discussions deal with more classic metal subgenres (which is totally fine). I'm torn. Maybe we don't have a group big enough to warrant an extra thread, oh well.

Does anyone agree that we kinda need a Doom / Stoner / Sludge / Psych OT? Would someone volunteer for that? :D I often have to resist the urge to post psychedelic or experimental music here.

Bands like Lo-Pan, Baroness, Sleep, Motorpsycho, Mutoid Man or Boris need a home! Some of these are too non-metal for the metal thread, too metal for the prog thread or too "this" for "that". You know what I mean. I don't want elitist genre discussions but real music talk instead.

It's easier with heavy doom or sludge stuff but even that doesn't fit when most discussions deal with more classic metal subgenres (which is totally fine). I'm torn. Maybe we don't have a group big enough to warrant an extra thread, oh well.

I agree. There's nothing in between Metal GAF and Alterna-Indie GAF around here when it comes to rock. It's either bloody carcass decapitation stuff or hip-cutesy Pitchfork stuff.

New Analepsy is so close to releasing. I've been blasting Dehumanization by Supremacy and it's basically the perfect template for how to keep SLAMMING all song long while not getting boring.

Also I discovered this track from a band called DIPHENYLCHLOROARSINE. Never heard of them before and apparently they have a full length coming soon but I love the guitar tone on this song. Just nasty stuff. And talk about gutturals! They got em for days.

For something a little less slamming I was breaking out the 90's power metal at work the other day and I forgot just how awesome Brothers of the Past by Iron Savior is. The solos at 2:30 are so fucking awesome. Man I wish Kai Hansen was still in Iron Savior. "The children must live, the killing must end!"

Fxp

I agree. There's nothing in between Metal GAF and Alterna-Indie GAF around here when it comes to rock. It's either bloody carcass decapitation stuff or hip-cutesy Pitchfork stuff.

Definitely agree. Currently I'm listening mostly to doom/stoner sludge stuff and most of recommendations come from this topic and Spotify.

Ohnonono

I love most of this stuff, along with bands like Conan, Slomatics (please check them if you haven't), Weedpecker, Spaceslug, LUCIFER, Reverend Bizzare, Jess and the Ancient Ones, UN, Cough, High Priest of Saturn, Holy Serpent, Mammoth Storm, High on Fire, Acid King, Bongripper, Monolord, The new Dopelord is really sick. Also I really love Weedruid. I think their album is only on bandcamp but its pretty crushing stuff.

Also Boris, Mutoid Man, Sleep, and Electric Wizard are all fair game in here. Just post some great links and you will draw more people into the groove.

Some of that stuff is more metal than others but there is room for everything here.

Also a recent band I discovered on bandcamp Obed Marsh, particularly their Innsmouth album. It is super cheap on bandcamp and really special.

Tankard

Well, from time to time i post some Doom/Stoner/Psych here that usually none responds to, but i still do. It definitely belongs here.

Ohnonono

Well, from time to time i post some Doom/Stoner/Psych here that usually none responds to, but i still do. It definitely belongs here.

It is 99% what I listen to nowadays. I would love for more people to drop knowledge in here. So many great bands out there.

Haunted-Haunted was super great last year. Again I think Slomatics get not nearly the credit they deserve. High Priest of Saturn is otherworldly good. Such a great genre. There are some great youtube channels that post TONS of stuff on a regular basis as well. I don't like EVERYTHING because the genre covers some pretty dramatic styles, but it is amazing stuff.

Tankard

It is 99% what I listen to nowadays. I would love for more people to drop knowledge in here. So many great bands out there.

Haunted-Haunted was super great last year. Again I think Slomatics get not nearly the credit they deserve. High Priest of Saturn is otherworldly good. Such a great genre. There are some great youtube channels that post TONS of stuff on a regular basis as well. I don't like EVERYTHING because the genre covers some pretty dramatic styles, but it is amazing stuff.

Slomatics released a pretty good album last year.

I posted here some weeks ago about Beastmaker, don't know if people caught up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPGzqslFVm4

Elbrus was also a late 2016 release that i loved
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Un3TV4fDS8

On a more alternative tune to Doom/Sludge i listened these cdays to Deaf Radio, enjoyed these guys too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru8E1l1P0oo

Ohnonono

choodi

Banned

No need for a new thread, it will just splinter the group and stifle discussion.

My tastes tend more towards death/doom, but I'd love to get some more recommendations from others who are more into the type of stuff you listed.

Question. Would the band Year of the Goat fall into this category? Because I totally love that band.

Top Bottom