• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Holy shit that's a hellova list of names.
You must be new to Ayreon :)

Will be checking out based on the album art alone, but this only cements it further.

Never heard of this until now. What kind of music is it :p
Ah there we go. Yes, Arjen Lucassen always has these big superstar casts of singers for his concept albums. Ayreon is keyboard-laden prog rock/metal, a bit like a less power metal Symphony X, with sci-fi themed concept albums featuring a bunch of guest singers playing different characters. Some of it is a bit dull, but a few are pretty good (like Into the Electric Castle).

You must be new to Ayreon :)

Ah there we go. Yes, Arjen Lucassen always has these big superstar casts of singers for his concept albums. Ayreon is keyboard-laden prog rock/metal, a bit like a less power metal Symphony X, with sci-fi themed concept albums featuring a bunch of guest singers playing different characters. Some of it is a bit dull, but a few are pretty good (like Into the Electric Castle).
The random songs I'm picking on youtube are okay. I'll be checking this out when it comes out, but youtube listen before I buy, I think. See how the singles hit me.

Completely unrelated to anything but it's been a while since I last listened to some Judas Priest and I guess I finally realized how Angel of Retribution is a very worthy follow up to Painkiller. Fucking great album that's sadly underrated.

Bitanator

New Warbringer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr3rmfmzlr4

Although I need to hear more of their new album. I really loved the progressive route they where taking their last two albums, and I really hope this new one continues that path.They always felt like the child of late 80s Metallica and Slayer.

I thought their last album was terrible. Warbringer never really advanced past their first two statements for me, songwriting to me got worse, but they still were a lively band on stage, super fun to hang around after a show. This new song is kind of boring, but they were my favorite band to come out of the explosion of new thrash 12 years ago so I am always excited for a new offering

Sanctuary

Those things can be found in punk, hardcore, grind, etc.

If anything, Disturbed is Nu-Metal, or at least they used to be and are now more of a Hard Rock, Nu-Metal hybrid. Whether or not you consider that a "legitimate" form of metal doesn't really matter. They are a metal band. Just not a very good one.

Of course Disturbed is metal. Palm muting, chugging power chords, etc.

I can't fathom an explanation as to how that band isn't metal.
I've always considered them metal, but then, I like them so maybe that's why.

One could argue that their newer stuff is hard rock, but the line between hard rock and metal can be pretty blurry.

The crazier the metal I find and listen to, the less metal some of the other metal bands I listen to become. As far as sound goes, Amon Amarth and Gojira and the like make Disturbed sound more like rock than metal because the tent poles keep moving, at least for what i listen to.

It's not something I lose any sleep over though.

Bitanator

New Havok track - Hang 'Em High

Sounds very Megadeth, especially the solo.

I have my problems with it, but damn having prominent bass again in a havok song is nice, been asking for it. The lyrics obviously handled by David unfortunately, "the enemy is not coming from overseas" line is terrible the way he sang, Nu-Metal like.

Also I like the vocal approach here regardless of that line, it is very Teutonic, this song has German thrash written all over it with their bay style still incorporated, it is nice

Holy shit that's a hellova list of names.

Will be checking out based on the album art alone, but this only cements it further.

Never heard of this until now. What kind of music is it :p

Edit: so I read the wiki page and it's basically Avantasia with some other bells and whistles. Fucking amazing!

Listen to Universal Migrator Part 1 & 2 ,Human Equation, when you have a chance also check out his other bands Star One and The Gentle Storm.

Thinking I should grab tickets to see Maiden live too before they retire. Would go nicely with my Mastodon tickets, especially since Ghost will be playing too.

Bitanator

Thinking I should grab tickets to see Maiden live too before they retire. Would go nicely with my Mastodon tickets, especially since Ghost will be playing too.

Janick Gers is very energetic on stage, if you are by the stage, stand near that dude for all his energy. I have loved every time I went to see Maiden, has been like four years since I seen them but you should go

Janick Gers is very energetic on stage, if you are by the stage, stand near that dude for all his energy. I have loved every time I went to see Maiden, has been like four years since I seen them but you should go
I'm going to get seats as close as possible since GA will likely be sold out and I also don't want to wait 12 hours in line to rush the stage. But that's good to hear! I haven't had the opportunity to go to many concerts, so I'm very excited about this one! (This'll be my third after Mastodon)

Bitanator

I'm going to get seats as close as possible since GA will likely be sold out and I also don't want to wait 12 hours in line to rush the stage. But that's good to hear! I haven't had the opportunity to go to many concerts, so I'm very excited about this one! (This'll be my third after Mastodon)

That is cool, is it an Amphitheater by chance? Last time i saw them they ended an encore with Aces High, it was wild people went nuts

That is cool, is it an Amphitheater by chance? Last time i saw them they ended an encore with Aces High, it was wild people went nuts
Yeah I'm going to catch them at the Molson Canadian Amphitheatre (though it's been renamed to the Budweiser stage) the front most seat section looks like it has a great view to the stage though. I'm not huge on Maiden but they've got plenty in their discography i like, and they're a big part of metal history so I'd like to witness that at least once. Hope they also play a good amount of stuff from The Book of Souls

Bitanator

Yeah looks like a good venue to watch them, I prefer amphitheaters to watch bands. Iron Maiden set lists have been pretty great for me, if nothing else you can check their sets for the past couple shows and sort of see what they might play

Other general question: what's a good time to get to a venue for front row? About 6 hours? Would love to be as close as possible to Mastodon.

6 hours seems insanely early, normally people don't start lining up until like....2 hours before at the earliest (though I guess it depends on the show/venue)

Bitanator

Other general question: what's a good time to get to a venue for front row? About 6 hours? Would love to be as close as possible to Mastodon.

As others have posted, one hour or so is what I usually do and that is fine most of the time unless it is like Metallica then 2 hours, the big four concert back in 2011 I waited for like 2 and a half and that was the longest. Even then people like to flock about for a while before the band comes on so I did not even have to do that

It's Mastodon and Eagles of Death Metal. Neither of which are insanely popular and the venue is just a club so nothing super huge. 1-2 hours seems a lot more reasonable and manageable though, especially since it'll take me two hours to bus down there anyway.

Bitanator

It's Mastodon and Eagles of Death Metal. Neither of which are insanely popular and the venue is just a club so nothing super huge. 1-2 hours seems a lot more reasonable and manageable though, especially since it'll take me two hours to bus down there anyway.

If it is a club then like 20 minutes, even when the doors open you still have to wait till the band is on rarely if ever during a club show do people run to the front and wait however long minutes till the first act in my experience.

Bitanator

You should have your chances after the set, I wish when I saw Vektor back in November I would have said something a bit more meaningful to Erik if I knew that would be the very last time I would see the band with that lineup

New Slam bulldozer in town! Actually it's just a Vulvodynia side project, but that's good enough for me. Love the atmospheric guitar towards the end. A little goes a long way in this genre.

Also I did not realize some new Analepsy had been dropped. Definitely gets the job done while I'm waiting for that new Abominable Putridity.

Bitanator

What makes a band metal?

They play metal.

Honestly to me you know it when you hear it

Five finger death punch is another one who I would not consider metal, probably on the precipice there, but when most of their discography consits of shit like jekyll and hyde, I would not categorize them as metal.

That song has 33 million views on youtube, people have terrible taste

DrM

Redmond's Baby

Around here, even on bigger concerts, venues open around 2 hours before the gig starts, maybe an hour before the concert in smaller concert places.

And yes, go and see Iron Maiden, they are in top form.

I just wonder when will Ghost record next album, because they are almost constantly on tour.

They play metal.

Honestly to me you know it when you hear it

Five finger death punch is another one who I would not consider metal, probably on the precipice there, but when most of their discography consits of shit like jekyll and hyde, I would not categorize them as metal.

That song has 33 million views on youtube, people have terrible taste

Five Finger Death Punch is fucking garbage.

Top Bottom