• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

Tankard

No need for a new thread, it will just splinter the group and stifle discussion.

My tastes tend more towards death/doom, but I'd love to get some more recommendations from others who are more into the type of stuff you listed.

Question. Would the band Year of the Goat fall into this category? Because I totally love that band.

Sure, more in the Psych genre along with Jex Thoth, Bloody Hammers, Jess and the Ancient Ones. If you haven't checked these out yet, i recommend it.

Ok, I see an extra Doom/Stoner thread would probably be dead from the get go. :D

Anyway, I have some recommendations from the straight stoner genre that some of you may have missed:

Lo-Pan. Melodic riffage with a cool singer that mostly sounds the same on every song, but hey! But if you can get behind that it's awesome! I saw them live a few years ago.
Chicken Itza
Regulus <-- PARTY!

Rotor. Local instrumental veterans from Berlin. Positively heavy! Their albums 3, 4 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7d17vzjqZo) and fünf are all awesome!
Volllast
Gnade dir Gott

choodi

Banned
Hope you guys don't mind the promotion, but a bud of mine released his album this month for his band Solarus, and I thought I'd share. It's in the power metal genre, very close to the band Borealis (who's
lead singer is featured in some of the songs).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlXuONjWu4o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7ai2mGqzoU

It was a passion project of his so I wanted to spread the word here a little bit.

Not too bad. I didn't care much for the vocalist though.

jviggy43

According to Facebook, Ne Obliviscaris is parting ways with their bassist :(

Literally just came in here to post this. It really fucking sucks but apparently it was over a pretty serious issue and if that is indeed the case he had to go. Really weird, met him last year and he was such a nice dude (they all are).

So I heard the new Mastodon song. "Sultan's Curse"
I think everyone clamoring to have "Old Mastodon" back will be pleased. Very very "Crack The Skye" esque. So glad i bought tickets to see them.
Also bought my Maiden tickets today.

As for Mastodon:
Concept album about the desert, grim reaper and cancer.
Album titled Emperor of Sand.
Tracklist:
1.Sultan's Curse(Single)
2.Show Yourself
3.Precious Stones
4.Steambreather
5.Roots Remain
6.Word to the Wise
7.Ancient Kingdom
8.Clandestiny
9.Andromeda
10.Scorpion Breath
11.Jaguar God

Ravager61

Alcest was great last night but holy shit I do not get The Body.

The Body can be hit or miss but when they hit, their shit can be pretty chilling to me. Haven't seen them live yet though. I'm thinking about going to that tour Saturday though when it is in town so I guess I may find out.

So I heard the new Mastodon song. "Sultan's Curse"
I think everyone clamoring to have "Old Mastodon" back will be pleased. Very very "Crack The Skye" esque. So glad i bought tickets to see them.
Also bought my Maiden tickets today.

As for Mastodon:
Concept album about the desert, grim reaper and cancer.
Album titled Emperor of Sand.
Tracklist:
1.Sultan's Curse(Single)
2.Show Yourself
3.Precious Stones
4.Steambreather
5.Roots Remain
6.Word to the Wise
7.Ancient Kingdom
8.Clandestiny
9.Andromeda
10.Scorpion Breath
11.Jaguar God

Where did you hear the song and how do you know the setlist? :O Shiiit, I need this!

The Vulvodynia music video is finally out. Best song on the album and one of the most slammin' tracks of 2016. Also right at 2:57 Duncan looks like Decrepit Birth's Bill Robinson. Go ahead and get used this this stuff because when I take over the world it will be the only music genre.

Where did you hear the song and how do you know the setlist? :O Shiiit, I need this!

It's available on the Australian Spotify, somebody ripped the file and uploaded it. In addition to that you can also preview the album on Australian Itunes which shows all the tracks and lets you hear the first song.

p.s everyone who buys tickets to their shows gets a copy of the album, so technically i've already paid for my copy before someone complains about piracy.

It's available on the Australian Spotify, somebody ripped the file and uploaded it. In addition to that you can also preview the album on Australian Itunes which shows all the tracks and lets you hear the first song.

p.s everyone who buys tickets to their shows gets a copy of the album, so technically i've already paid for my copy before someone complains about piracy.

I'll just wait, they will probably release this song in the next few days then.

Mastodon never disappointed me. Their last album was a bit flat compared to my favourite one, Crack The Skye – but I still liked it a lot.

I'll just wait, they will probably release this song in the next few days then.

Mastodon never disappointed me. Their last album was a bit flat compared to my favourite one, Crack The Skye – but I still liked it a lot.

I have a feeling it'll probably be like Crack The Skye with a bit of influence from OMRTS, but it sounds very CTS but a bit rougher if that makes sense, less flowery and and sprawingly melodic as some CTS songs, more crunchy. But its great.

Well, it looks like Araya got himself in some stupid shit.

Yeah, I saw that go down yesterday. Lost a lot of respect for the dude after that, especially since he seemed like the mild mannered one. Gained tons of respect for Kerry though and Holt's statements on being a republican just made me like the dude even more (He's already my favorite guitarist and Exodus got me into "real" metal)

Tankard

Yeah, I saw that go down yesterday. Lost a lot of respect for the dude after that, especially since he seemed like the mild mannered one. Gained tons of respect for Kerry though and Holt's statements on being a republican just made me like the dude even more (He's already my favorite guitarist and Exodus got me into "real" metal)

Agreed, this could have gone a lot worse.

PillarEN

Sorry if this is throwing off the thread but what I want to ask isn't thread worthy and this is the most appropriate thread I could find:

I was watching the documentary Until The Light Takes Us yesterday. There is a part where Frost is doing some kind of stage performance and then out of nowhere jams a knife into his arm. rides up with it all the way to his elbow area. Then he proceeds to cut pretty damn deep on the side of his neck. Uh, I don't have any expertise in self harm but holy shit how is he alive? That looked like some massive cuts. I guess to kill yourself with cutting you have to go really hardcore because what I saw was utterly gruesome and the man is still with us. Crazy.

Tankard

Sorry if this is throwing off the thread but what I want to ask isn't thread worthy and this is the most appropriate thread I could find:

I was watching the documentary Until The Light Takes Us yesterday. There is a part where Frost is doing some kind of stage performance and then out of nowhere jams a knife into his arm. rides up with it all the way to his elbow area. Then he proceeds to cut pretty damn deep on the side of his neck. Uh, I don't have any expertise in self harm but holy shit how is he alive? That looked like some massive cuts. I guess to kill yourself with cutting you have to go really hardcore because what I saw was utterly gruesome and the man is still with us. Crazy.

He is still alive.

Corpsepyre

Banned
New Mastodon.

mastodonemperorofsandcover.jpg

Metal Injection's Review of God's of Violence pits it as one of their best, so that certainly has me even more excited for the album, as if I could get any more hyped. Too bad I've got no more money or else I'd go see them in Toronto in april :(
Hopefully they come back once more later this year.
Satan Is Real is a fucking fun track, don't care what anyone says and Phantom Antichrist was great too

If it's at least like Crack the Skye or Leviathan, which were 7/10 good albums, that's fine with me.
More likely Crack the Skye. Same producer and basing that off of the first track, in addition to the fact that a while back in an interview they said the new album isn't really anything super different, they experiment with some stuff but it's just more Mastodon. Wouldn't be surprised if there are a few Leviathan ish tracks on there.

Personally I love OMRTS and The Hunter so I hope they keep some of those elements

venomenon

Metal Injection's Review of God's of Violence pits it as one of their best, so that certainly has me even more excited for the album, as if I could get any more hyped. Too bad I've got no more money or else I'd go see them in Toronto in april :(
Hopefully they come back once more later this year.
Satan Is Real is a fucking fun track, don't care what anyone says and Phantom Antichrist was great too

Watching the release show on Facebook right now, the new songs they played were great
(especially Satan Is Real)
Still need to get tickets for the Berlin show next month, it's gonna be glorious.

I've been rather underwhelmed by 21st century Kreator but I've got Satan is Real on permanent rotation, really great song. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Watching the release show on Facebook right now, the new songs they played were great
(especially Satan Is Real)
Still need to get tickets for the Berlin show next month, it's gonna be glorious.

I don't have any metal vinyl yet outside of my copy of Blood Mountain, but I'm thinking I just might get this one on colored vinyl. Tomorrow cannot come soon enough. Honestly I think this year is going to be great for metal and music in general.

Hopefully the new Ghost album is heavier too and more riff oriented. I like what they're doing now, but some mix of all three albums style wise would be amazing. Groovey basslines, catchy lyrics and melodies with some good riffs.
Would be soooo good.

I've been rather underwhelmed by 21st century Kreator but I've got Satan is Real on permanent rotation, really great song. I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.
My man!

Top Bottom