• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MGS4 NYC Midnight Launch thread of HIDEO KOJIMA

YYZ said:
So is anyone willing to help others get it signed if possible?
I work 4 blocks away from the virgin but iget off work at 11 PM. I am still gonna go but i already pre ordered at gamestop. maybe I can sneak the game by the guards?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
criesofthepast said:
oh trust me, i totally agree. i take via rail all the time between toronto and london/windsor and it's much much better.

on second thought, i just did a quick toronto to new york on via rail and the trip is 13 hours which is really long and it costs $175 dollars. you would also have to leave on the 10th and get there on the 11th early morning. via rail also has wifi and food and shit so it's tempting.

Amtrak is 92 bucks each way. No wifi that I know of, but I had my phone's connection tethered to my MBP so that did the job ok. Between that, Peggle, movies, and portable gaming the trip was pretty damn quick.

See.

:D

I'd paypal money for
537074511_hhct.jpg

to be signed with Hideo saying: "Yes -Hideo Kojima"

If anyone's going any up for it, PM me please, thanks.

shagg_187 said:
Quote:
You must print ticket(s) at home or work. Please print only one ticket per page, do not print on the back of the paper. Proceed directly to the gate. Board your bus at the following station no later than one hour prior to the scheduled departure time.
FRONT ST WEST & YORK ST
CURBSIDE--NO ENCLOSED
WAITING AREA
TORONTO ROYAL YORK HOTEL, ON

PAYMENT
Subtotal: $2.00
Tax: $0.00
Total: $2.00

Your Purchase Information:
Billed to Visa XXXXXXXXXX

HELL YEA MOTHAFUCKERS!!! KOJIMA!!!! IM COMING IN ARSENAL GEAR!!!
what day/time are you leaving?

i wouldn't want to take the chance and leave on the 11th and getting there at 7 pm, 4 or 5 hours is cutting it close imo. what is everyone's plans? i think leaving june 10th and getting there in the evening and hobo'ing it for 24 hours is the best thing to do. i've never been to new york so i'd like the extra day to chill. i'm on a tight budget so i plan on spending $200 max for the whole trip, game and transportation included. :lol

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
g35twinturbo said:
Damn, really? I didn't hear nothing about any of this :(
That Gamestop/EB is always having midnight launch parties, but they rarely promote them in advance (no need really, 200+ people show up with word of mouth). I remember for the DS launch, there was a huge freaking line, Hard Rock was giving away free pizza to the people closest to the shop, and the first (50?) people in line got bags of nintendo goodies (I specifically remember them giving out Metroid Prime 2 in those bags....).

klee123

Bleak Harvest said:
With a signed version.... would anyone ever play it anyway?

Then the hardcore would buy 2 copies. The signed version to keep and the other for playing. I don't think Kojima is gonna complain if that happens.

consoul said:
On behalf of Australia I hereby declare that you guys suck and you can all get a dirty mullet up you sideways.

It's even worse when we're only limited to 1000 copies of the LE split between EB, JB and GAME. I'm 9th on the preorder list at my local EB and I don't think the chances are very good.

Ephemeris

I'm not one of those types who go houuuurs in advance, but if GAF is going to stand in line for 4, 5+ hours.. fuck it, I'm down :lol

mileS

SolidSnakex said:
There's a video of some guy driving by a Harry Potter launch event and yelling out a huge spoiler for that book.

:lol oh man if someone did that here the MGS4 fans would murder you.

mileS said:
:lol oh man if someone did that here the MGS4 fans would murder you.
Nobody would be able to hear it, the acoustics in times square vs outside a bookstore in some random town are quite different.

crustikid

phew. i'm glad i didn't reserve of copy of the limited edition. boy, more reasons not to support gamestop. :D

i shall be there. any idea how hardcore this event might be? i wonder how early i'll have to come.

Sucks about the LE thing... but it's just extra crap and box art, isn't it?

Which would you prefer... let's be honest. I sure as shit know I'd take my signed copy of the GameCube Occurina of Time then a copy of the original (without the extra dungeon, etc).

Anyway, I'll be calling the manager today for some questions.

criesofthepast said:
what day/time are you leaving?

i wouldn't want to take the chance and leave on the 11th and getting there at 7 pm, 4 or 5 hours is cutting it close imo. what is everyone's plans? i think leaving june 10th and getting there in the evening and hobo'ing it for 24 hours is the best thing to do. i've never been to new york so i'd like the extra day to chill. i'm on a tight budget so i plan on spending $200 max for the whole trip, game and transportation included. :lol

Im leaving on 10th and reaching there on 11th @ 7am. I was planning a one day thing but i decided to make it a 3 day trip with a friend.

Davidion

criesofthepast said:
oh trust me, i totally agree. i take via rail all the time between toronto and london/windsor and it's much much better.

on second thought, i just did a quick toronto to new york on via rail and the trip is 13 hours which is really long and it costs $175 dollars. you would also have to leave on the 10th and get there on the 11th early morning. via rail also has wifi and food and shit so it's tempting.

What kind of ghetto ass train did you take that it took 13 hours to travel <350 miles?!

So, If I want the limited edition I have to keep my gamestop pre-order (its at the one at 34th and Hearld not the Mall one thought), but if I want his signature. I have to buy a regular edition at Virgin?

Well, I am going anyhow, I just want to thank him if nothing else. MGS was the first game I ever beat (I sort of suck at video games lol). I had never beaten a game before, usually it got to hard and I just stopped or it just got boring, didn't mean I felt ripped off, just didn't care to finish it. That wasn't the case with MGS.

Halka

Neo Member
o_O ... I live in Brooklyn, may have to check this out. It's going to be a mob scene though. There was a crowd a block long for the GTA4 release at a Best Buy in NoHo.

Now I need to get my brother's Sega CD copy of Snatcher for him to sign (!). :D

Canadian Gaffers, I contacted Greyhound and they confirmed that yesterday they were just testing the $2 Toronto/NYC return discount. It will kick in on May 29th till June 1st so wait until then guys! :)

Once again, the bus will leave from Royal York Hotel in Toronto (100 Front St E, M5A 4J5) and arrive at Pennsylvania Station (New York City). From the station, it's exactly 5 to 10 minute drive (depending on traffic) with subways and god-given legs (to walk ofcourse) available at every corner :p

Davidion

shagg_187 said:
Once again, the bus will leave from Royal York Hotel in Toronto (100 Front St E, M5A 4J5) and arrive at Pennsylvania Station (New York City). From the station, it's exactly 5 to 10 minute drive (depending on traffic) with subways and god-given legs (to walk ofcourse) available at every corner :p

Don't take the subway or drive. It's a 10 minute walk.

Bulla564

Banned
Can't believe it. Knowing where Kojima will be, yet I am stuck in the tip of America's shlong (South Florida).

There are two alive people I want to meet. Al Pacino and Kojima. My life would be complete.

I heard that on June 2nd he'll be in London doing a signing too.

needs more places. preferably after NYC it's down south to Louisiana where we love him ;3

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Is anyone else thinking of bringing presents? I'm going to bring a CalorieMate and ask him to eat it and sign the packaging. :D

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
My bad. I thought the event was going to be at 14th street. Yeah, don't take the subway/bus. Just walk over..

Barrett2

Fuck yes! I might just have to make the drive down for this one! It's about 3 hours for me, well worth it!

Other Gaffers making the trip; where are you staying that night?

anachronous_one

Prologue Type S Alpha
Bulla564 said:
Can't believe it. Knowing where Kojima will be, yet I am stuck in the tip of America's shlong (South Florida).

There are two alive people I want to meet. Al Pacino and Kojima. My life would be complete.
Poor you, stuck in South FLA. My frostbitten but thawing Michigan ass has no sympathy for you. ;-)

datruth29

Oh man oh man. I live in Brooklyn. If my friend is up to it, or if there's going to be a GAF meetup, I am sooooooooooooooo in!

Save me a spot. I'll buy coffees. I'll be there around 6pm.

shagg_187 said:
Canadian Gaffers, I contacted Greyhound and they confirmed that yesterday they were just testing the $2 Toronto/NYC return discount. It will kick in on May 29th till June 1st so wait until then guys! :)

Also, alot of these signings MAKE you buy the game from the store and sometimes the person will ONLY sign that. Like, you can't just wait in like and have him sign your PS1 MGS1 jewel case. I hope that's not the case here.

GQman2121

Banned
I just booked my train and room. Portland hotel on West 47th street. I'm staying till Friday.

If you think you're going to be there, PM me and we can meet up and get in line together. :p

God I hope he doesn't mind signing my MGS case........

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Killthee said:
That Gamestop/EB is always having midnight launch parties, but they rarely promote them in advance (no need really, 200+ people show up with word of mouth). I remember for the DS launch, there was a huge freaking line, Hard Rock was giving away free pizza to the people closest to the shop, and the first (50?) people in line got bags of nintendo goodies (I specifically remember them giving out Metroid Prime 2 in those bags....).

hmmm welll that makes me wonder then.....

if the Gamestop/ebgames at Citywalk is going to be doing this.....

Top Bottom