• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Multiformat Artshots Thread (formerly part of the PC screenshots thread)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
5-c2snio.jpg

Every time I look at that shot I'm just annoyed by the design of that machine. The lighting is from above, but the camera for each arm is on the underside of the arm and recessed pretty far back. In operation none of those cameras will be useful, because they'll always just be looking into a deep shadow.

Jon of the Wired said:
Every time I look at that shot I'm just annoyed by the design of that machine. The lighting is from above, but the camera for each arm is on the underside of the arm and recessed pretty far back. In operation none of those cameras will be useful, because they'll always just be looking into a deep shadow.

:(

As someone who has spent an awful lot of time in operating rooms, I concur with this man.

Damn you! Now I cannot unsee!!!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sigh...I hate you otacon :(

That first screen, the spire one, looks like concept art

I don't know what's going on with that building, either. I have a feeling it's Photobucket and its less-than-stellar resizing algorithm.

Regarding the colours, etc, these are all quite far removed from the game as you'd play it. There are so many more post-processing and deferred shading effects at play in CE3 that this tiledshot function's barely usable - or if it is I'm too dumb to figure it out. So to get results you have to turn off things like the glow effects, sun shafts, height based ambient effects and occasionally cubemaps. None of those effects tiles properly and will just corrupt the image, which is why you're not seeing night or interior shots. This is happening quite a lot now which is why I'm grabbing a 590 to just brute force 2160p with MSAA and then downsample.

I'm also messing with the time of day to get more dramatic lighting in places, to make up for the lack of post-processing. And there's no timescale function I can find which means action shots are out for the moment.

00094b.jpg

00097b.jpg

I have actually tried downsampling from 2160p and relying on the game's amazing shader-based AA, but it's just not quite up to the job. There'd need to be some true MSAA or even SGSSAA going on to rival tiledshots. Obviously they look fine here as Photobucket's downsampled them again.

Crysis2-2011-03-24-09-23-23-58.jpg

Crysis2-2011-03-24-08-12-22-41.jpg

Okay, I think I've found a solution. These are realtime grabs with everything but the post-processing glow turned on, downsampled from 2160p using nothing but the game's own AA. My computer isn't happy. Click for 1080p.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Riddle me thos otacon, is it possible to play the game while it looks like that ? Or is that the result of postproccessing in photoshop or w/e?

My comp's at boiling point already, tbh. When my new card arrives I'll give it a try, though I don't think anyone's actually posted any SGSSAA shots yet.

EDIT: Actually, someone on the German forum that workaround came from posted some comparison screens, all of which looked rough as arseholes but in fractionally different ways. The framerate hit's frightening, too.

TheOctagon said:
A humble 460GTX is being replaced, though I won't be getting rid of it.

I'll probably be frying eggs off it the way things are going.
If that's humble then what is my 9800GT, which was an upgrade to my rig from its original 7950GX2? lol

Grats bro. maybe in 2 years i can afford me a DX11 card like a 580 or something whens it's price drops low enough.

More tweaking and I've finally reached the point where I'm happy with the IQ. It's basically perfect in 1080p, antialiased and naturally sharp. I've binned the previous ones and am doing the whole game from the start. I'm even... PLAYING it first. Game's a riot, if glitchy (Steam version).

Top Bottom