• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Multiformat Artshots Thread (formerly part of the PC screenshots thread)

TheOctagon said:
More tweaking and I've finally reached the point where I'm happy with the IQ. It's basically perfect in 1080p, antialiased and naturally sharp. I've binned the previous ones and am doing the whole game from the start. I'm even... PLAYING it first. Game's a riot, if glitchy (Steam version).
Post up your config in the Screenshot thread, homeslice bromango!

Blizzard

Banned
TheOctagon, did you do anything to affect the bloom/lens flares? I saw the same sort of thing in one of Dennis' shots, where loooots of light sources (even in the day) have really big horizontal line lens flares. Is that a stylistic thing you like, or just the way the game is and it can't be disabled?

Blizzard said:
TheOctagon, did you do anything to affect the bloom/lens flares? I saw the same sort of thing in one of Dennis' shots, where loooots of light sources (even in the day) have really big horizontal line lens flares. Is that a stylistic thing you like, or just the way the game is and it can't be disabled?
I can tell you that its part of the games style. <_< I know.

But during the demo there was a cvar to disable/minimize it significantly. :)

TheOctagon said:

PEPSI-MAN!?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Pepsi%20-%20Pepsi%20Man.jpg

The lens flares are kinda what the game's all about - that whole James Cameron/JJ Abrams/Die Hard look. They do come out a little strong in my screens for various reasons, not least the timescale stuff I'm doing and the crushing performance issues of switching to 2160p. You can turn them off but they leave scenes like these looking a little bare.

While we're on the subject of anamorphic flares, it's worth remembering just how extreme they get in the kinds of movies Crysis 2 is imitating.

Logan's Run:

Logan%27s_Run.jpg

Speed (by the lens flare lunatic Jan De Bont, who was also DP on Die Hard):

speed+lens+flare+2.jpg

Star Trek:

startreklensflare.jpg

Transformers:

anamorphic_lens_flare.jpg

Aliens also has colossal lens flares, and someone really needs to find a shot of Die Hard.

A rather candid JJ Abrams says:

I know what you're saying with the lens flares. It was one of those things... I wanted a visual system that felt unique. I know there are certain shots where even I watch and think, "Oh that's ridiculous, that was too many." But I love the idea that the future was so bright it couldn't be contained in the frame.

The flares weren't just happening from on-camera light sources, they were happening off camera, and that was really the key to it. I want [to create] the sense that, just off camera, something spectacular is happening. There was always a sense of something, and also there is a really cool organic layer thats a quality of it. They were all done live, they weren't added later. There are something about those flares, especially in a movie that can potentially be very sterile and CG and overly controlled. There is something incredibly unpredictable and gorgeous about them. It is a really fun thing. Our DP would be off camera with this incredibly powerful flashlight aiming it at the lens. It became an art because different lenses required angles, and different proximity to the lens. Sometimes, when we were outside we'd use mirrors. Certain sizes were too big... literally, it was ridiculous. It was like another actor in the scene....

I hated that crap in the new Star Trek.

Overdone.

Moderation, Hollywood, its good. Look into it.

Sure, James Cameron loves his shot with something being crushed underfoot/tread/wheel, but its not every damn shot is it?.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I loved the lense flair in Star Trek. JJ is right, it does give the movie a very unique feel. I also enjoyed in the Mass Effect series and Crysis 2.

scitek

TheOctagon said:
Speed (by the lens flare lunatic Jan De Bont, who was also DP on Die Hard):

speed+lens+flare+2.jpg

That's a great shot right there since it's the big reveal of her wearing a bomb vest. Good times.

This, the TV I'm about to hook it up to, and the 250mb Reiko Nagase PSDs I was given this morning are pretty much making this the best day ever. New graphics card tomorrow to avoid complete joy overload.

RedSwirl

Stallion Free said:
I loved the lense flair in Star Trek. JJ is right, it does give the movie a very unique feel. I also enjoyed in the Mass Effect series and Crysis 2.

Lens flare was equally ridiculous in the first Mass Effect. When you compare it's hard to believe they DIDN'T get that from Star Trek since the movie came out two years later.

TheOctagon said:

The more games become photorealistic (and these Octagon shots only push it further), the more stuff like this gaudy obnoxious "HAY GIUZE! AMMO HERE GUIZE" symbol on the box starts to annoy me.

Also that gun is floating...

Top Bottom