• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Naked Gun appreciation thread

alba

Little is the new Big
The closest thing i've seen in this style nowadays is Angie Tribeca.
Though i've only seen like 2 episodes.

Danger 5 is very good and similar, albeit slightly different. It has also ended though :( I love Angie Tribeca and it's the only thing we have like this now which sucks, we need more of this!

venom473

HX1Rscm.gif

The tv series is better.

It avoids the transphobic joke on the third one, for example

Even if, for the standards of the time, it is a small transphobic joke, it is fast and the joke easily turns into him pucking on the instrument and fucking up the orchestra

It's more a reference to The Crying Game, but yeah the idea of it doesn't really hold up.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
"Oh yes, I was just reading a book about erectile dysfunction. I'm sure you've read it"

The tv series is better.

It avoids the transphobic joke on the third one, for example

Even if, for the standards of the time, it is a small transphobic joke, it is fast and the joke easily turns into him pucking on the instrument and fucking up the orchestra
"Someone make a note: I don't think we should have Phil Donahue back next year."

Hilarious movies, very sharply written and directed. Leslie Nielsen is a legend, I really miss him.
I think he was the first celebrity death that I remember really affecting me, the next which was the hardest was Rik Mayal.

Both of them were instrumental in shaping my families humour growing up, I remember finding out about Riks death and being in tears on the phone to my wife while coming home from work on the train. She also felt that he was her spirit animal too so she was really upset.

EYEL1NER

I haven't seen any of the Naked Gun films in a while but I remember always preferring his Fugitive-parody Wrongfully Accused to them.

Dalek

I haven't seen any of the Naked Gun films in a while but I remember always preferring his Fugitive-parody Wrongfully Accused to them.

Yeah he was in a real series of parody movies in later years. None of them came close to Zucker quality though.

bndadm

Absolutely some of the finest comedy out there for this genre. It doesn't shoot for the obvious low hanging fruit.

Also equally enjoyable with the commentary track. Them all talking and laughing about the behind the scenes actually can be as funny as the film's themselves (2 especially).

One of my favorite exchanges from 2nd movie:
Frank Drebin: Now, Jane, what can you tell us about the man you saw last night?

Jane: He's Caucasian.

Ed: Caucasian?

Jane: Yeah, you know, a white guy. A moustache. About six-foot-three.

Frank Drebin: Awfully big moustache.
The straight delivery on the final line kills me.

m_dorian

Some time after i saw the first movie, i tried to see an older war movie with Leslie Nilsen in a serious part as the captain of a ship.
I could not because i was laughing all the time.

Oh man I looooooooooooooooooooooove those movies. Leslie Nielsen was GOAT. And his birthday is the same as mine :D

I also love the Hot Shots! Movies. And Loaded Weapon 1.

TheFuzz

Wrongfully Accused is good, too.

"Give him 200,000 CC's of adrenaline!"

"But-"

"DAMN YOUR BUTT I SAID 200,000 CC's of adrenaline!!"

New002

The closest thing i've seen in this style nowadays is Angie Tribeca.
Though i've only seen like 2 episodes.

Given my love for the Naked Gun movies and Police Squad, Angie Tribeca was basically made for me...and yet I can't stand it. I dunno what it is.

Black Dynamite is my favorite latter day spoof. I can easily recommend it to any Naked Gun lover.

But yeah, the series is pretty friggin great. So many genius, tossed off lines. And Nielsen really did have one of the best deadpan deliveries of all time, guy was a natural.

eXistor

The first 2 movies are so fucking good. I'd kill for some new proper parody movies, but apparently it's a lost art; nobody understands the genre anymore it seems.

/edit: as a more recent recommendation I'd say a Touch of Cloth is pretty great. The first and third show especially , the second one was only ok.

Spasm

Given my love for the Naked Gun movies and Police Squad, Angie Tribeca was basically made for me...and yet I can't stand it. I dunno what it is.
I love Rashida, but I don't think she quite gets it. Gotta play it straight / deadpan everything in this style of comedy. She tries, but can't help but giving it a little too much ham.

Staf

Awww i remember having the biggest crush on Anna Nicole Smith in the third one. All three movies are exceptional, they don't make spoof movies like those anymore.

This trilogy is so good, the first being one of my favourite films of all time.
I mandate that no Gaffer will rest until we've recommended it to everyone, now let's grab a bite to eat.

Ennosuke

Naked Gun is the best. Honestly those are the funniest movies.
Leslie Nielsen was like the coolest guy in the universe in those movies, stunning performance.

Haha and the end titles where they just freeze in place while everyone else carries on.

The thing that annoys me is that I grew up with these movies and Airplane and I suppose shaped a lot of my sense of humour. But now whenever I bust out a joke or line from the movie younger people accuse me of making dad jokes. I'm not even a dad!

Staf

Jane: "Why don't you want to have a child"
Frank: "Didn’t I try to adopt that 18-year-old Korean girl?

Top Bottom