• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Naked Gun appreciation thread

giphy.gif

I remember when it was aired on CBS in the 90s, the joke was changed to "Nice one" with terrible dubbing over the word beaver, kiling the joke.

I just rewatched these recently after getting the Blu-ray set, and they still hold up. Awesome movies!

If O.J. Simpson hadn't killed his wife and Ron Goldman, what are the chances that he could have been the pitchman for the series today? When you think of some of the bluray releases for older films, like Back to the Future, Alien, and Raiders of the Lost Ark, you have members of the cast doing some of the promotional legwork. O.J Simpson had the kind of avuncular charisma that could sell a product by virtue of his name and persona. I wonder with most of the principal cast dead now, if he could have kept that flame going much like you see Rob Reiner occasionally promoting All in the Family or Richard Dreyfuss with Jaws.

I just find it odd that the first Naked Gun is hardly ever name dropped when it comes to 1980's pop culture. I've always assumed it's because of its association with O.J. Simpson, but maybe there were other factors as well. It's a real shame that it had this adverse affect on the other actors. They deserved the good will these films brought them from fans and critics, but again, because of who these films are associated with, it's become a very dodgy situation.

I saw the original in theaters when I was really young. My family and my friend's family went together. My friend's dad chose the movie and he was notorious for picking terrible movies, so we expected the worse. But then it turned out to be about the best thing ever.

Ha!
A few days ago I told my wife how they don't make movies like these anymore.

Such funny movies.

So many jokes flew over the head of youngling Poolman.

The Naked Gun trilogy might just be the best trilogy, at the least all time best comedy series. They never fail to make me laugh. Plus I stole my user name from NG 33 1/3.

YuShtink

These movies are the greatest. So chock full of one liners and jokes it's almost impossible to keep up. Fucking timeless. Leslie Nielsen is a god.

Ploid 3.0

I remember laughing so hard at a scene in one of these movies, so hard that the whole house didn't know how to help me. It was a point where the main guy was running away from a train, then after hiding he looked up and the train peeped up as well. I'm going to search for this, that got me so good. The best laugh so hard stomach abs work out I ever had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjbUnn32_zU

haha I Actually never saw that end part with his foot stuck in the rail. When this was on tv there was no rewind and I only saw this once (you used to have to wait for shows to come on, or rent them to watch when you wanted to).

"It's true what they say: Cops and women don't mix. It's like eating a spoonful of Drano; sure, it'll clean you out, but it'll leave you hollow inside"

Still hilarious after all these years. I also enjoy the sequels.

pswii60

Pleased to see Loaded Weapon 1 get a few mentions. You either love or hate that movie and you'll know within the first few minutes with the bog roll binoculars.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
This thread made me want to rewatch the whole Naked Gun series, since I've only seen parts of it as a kid (and loved them), but Netflix Japan has only Naked Gun 1 and 3. What.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
"It's the same old story. Boy finds girl, boy loses girl, girl finds boy, boy forgets girl, boy remembers girl, girl dies in a tragic blimp accident over the Orange Bowl on New Year's Day."

"Goodyear?"

"No, the worst."

Dalek

I'm sure we can handle this situation maturely, just like the responsible adults that we are. Isn't that right, Mr. Poopy Pants?

Nokterian

To me comedy gold and to think Leslie Nielsen stayed in perfect character and being the dumb idiot he is but now knowing he is when playing his character. I have all 3 movies on blu ray and all the small things like in the background that play a part in it is hilarious.

bosseye

Used to love these.

Can someone gif the end bit from one of the films where Drebin and Nordberg are at the top of a stadium, Nordberg is for reasons I can't remember on a wheelchair. Drebin slaps him on the back and turns away to have a conversation, whilst in the background Nordberg rolls down the steps at high speed, hits the barrier and flies into the air....

God that used to have me in stitches every time.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have them on DVD. But the people who made it added some sort of protection so HandBrake had a lot of trouble ripping them so they have a bunch of parts where the video is corrupt.

Cowlick

Banned
Used to love these.

Can someone gif the end bit from one of the films where Drebin and Nordberg are at the top of a stadium, Nordberg is for reasons I can't remember on a wheelchair. Drebin slaps him on the back and turns away to have a conversation, whilst in the background Nordberg rolls down the steps at high speed, hits the barrier and flies into the air....

God that used to have me in stitches every time.
giphy.gif

EDIT: Wait, better one here: http://i.imgur.com/nsuxGlh.gifv

UrbanRats

I have them on DVD. But the people who made it added some sort of protection so HandBrake had a lot of trouble ripping them so they have a bunch of parts where the video is corrupt.

My Police Squad dvds ain't working anymore. :\
Tried to watch them last year, and around episode 3, they started to skip (and eventually stop).
It doesn't look like they have scratches, and they used to work, i don't know what happened.

I should've ripped them when i had the chance.

mclem

For those that need another dose of Naked Gun, may I recommend Angie Tribeca?

I'd say Angie Tribeca's another does of Police Squad. A Touch Of Cloth is another dose of Naked Gun.

(In that Angie Tribeca's in 30-min installments, whereas A Touch Of Cloth - while also TV - is in the form of two-parters that end up about feature length)

Free tidbit from ATOC, when they're trying to find a juror in a hospital who may be in danger:

JUn0S4q.jpg

Top Bottom