• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

tri_willy

once again, australia's batting order fails to perform...
not having stuart clark in the bowling line up somewhat
hurts while james hopes is having a poor time with the
bat... perhaps its time for david hussey to get into
australia's line up? mikes been a bit dodgy with the bat
these days...

well done to the little master on his super knock of an
innings who was well supported by rohit sharma

artist

Banned
87865.jpg

Take that Sanjay Manjrekar .. its time the guy puts his personal vendetta against Tendulkar to rest.

On a side note .. the under-19 world cup was won by ..

87876.jpg

And racist Australian crowds got payback yesterday when Harbhajan picked up both Hayden and Symonds

87841.jpg

artist

Banned
And on the gloves used by Dhoni:

Dhoni's keeping gloves legal, insist makers

NEW DELHI, February 27: The wicket-keeping gloves used by India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni during a recent triangular series match in Australia are legal, the Indian manufacturer claims.

Dhoni avoided a penalty by agreeing not to use the gloves again after they were found to have illegally large webbing during Australia's 18-run victory over India in Sydney on Sunday.

Former Australian wicketkeeper-turned-television-commentator Ian Healy sparked a probe into the gloves after the Indian skipper pulled off a stunning diving catch to dismiss Adam Gilchrist.

The ball lodged in the webbing of Dhoni's gloves and Healy claimed that the webbing was too big and thus illegal.

But India's Sunrising Sportings Goods, based in Meerut, north of the capital New Delhi, hit back.

"The same gloves are also being used (under the brand name Puma) by wicket-keeper Gilchrist. Then why are those gloves not termed illegal?" company director Virendra Sareen asked Wednesday's Mid-Day newspaper.

"We make gloves as per the ICC's (International Cricket Council) standard specifications and the ICC is wrong in calling them illegal and Healy has no business to blame us as manufacturers," he said.

The ICC said in a statement on Monday the match officials found Dhoni's gloves had extra webbing between the thumb and the forefinger which was a violation of Law 40.2.

Dhoni claimed to have used the same gloves during the recent Test series in Australia, but faces a penalty if he uses them again.

India and Australia have qualified for the best-of-three finals, starting in Sydney on Sunday.
http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Dhonis_keeping_gloves_legal_insist_makers/articleshow/2819636.cms

Gilchrist defends Dhoni's gloves

Australian vice-captain and wicketkeeper Adam Gilchrist came out in support of Indian captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni's stumping gloves saying they are the best in the world, the media reported Friday.

Both Gilchrist and Dhoni use the same hand-stitched gloves manufactured by India's Sunrising Sportings Goods. The only difference is that Gilchrist's gloves are re-branded by the Puma logo.

'I know the gentleman that makes them (gloves) and they're the best in the world, they're brilliant. Maybe in the manufacturing process - they're all hand-made and hand-stitched - so they may have just used a little bit too much leather in that area,' The Age quoted Gilchrist as saying.

'I have absolutely no doubt that he (Dhoni) hasn't intentionally done that and tried to get away or pull the wool over anyone's eyes. We're spoiled for choice, we just get gear, you put it on, you train in it. So I don't think they were glaringly obvious to be different to what, say, I use or anyone else at the moment, or what is legal at the moment,' he added.

Dhoni's gloves attracted attention of match referee Jeff Crowe, who noted that the webbings of his gloves were unusual and illegal.

Gilchrist added that he has match referees check his gloves about once a summer to ensure they are within the regulations and he has never had any issue. He added that the problem with Dhoni's gloves was only slight and was in no way an attempt to return to the gloves of a decade ago, which were beginning to resemble baseball mitts.

'They're nothing like what we were wearing when I first started my career, we were wearing gloves (that) were almost like a baseball mitt,' he said.
http://cricket.indiatimes.com/Dhonis_keeping_gloves_legal_insist_makers/articleshow/2819636.cms

Once again, stop whining and focus on cricket. :D

AAK

Congrats to India, that's quite an accomplishment to win a series against the team who have been #1 for what is almost a decade. They are truly in their prime form.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole

Pachael

It was funny to see Tendulkar nervous as he almost got caught in run outs getting to his hundred. He saved the Indian chase and now they're odds on to win the series

Tide turning, etc

artist

Banned
ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Those articles are a complete crock of shit then, you can plainly see they where completely different gloves, different from Gilchrists and different from the second pair he wore.
Giclhrist said:
'I have absolutely no doubt that he (Dhoni) hasn't intentionally done that and tried to get away or pull the wool over anyone's eyes. We're spoiled for choice, we just get gear, you put it on, you train in it. So I don't think they were glaringly obvious to be different to what, say, I use or anyone else at the moment, or what is legal at the moment,' he added
I think its time that the Aussie media/fans moved on when the cricks have no issue on this.

On a side note, it was quite an uncharacteristic match for Gilchrist, the way he appealled to a mile away wide delivery, the way he was fighting with the umpire when he signalled 4 byes on Hogg's bowling ..

artist

Banned
Analog Bandit said:
I really want to see India win to see the following implosion :lol
Some have already started to lay out the damage control ... series loss will not effect our ranking mwahahaha :lol :lol

edit: +1 Tendulkar for taking the Lee beamer sportingly. I'm sure except Gilchrist or Lee no other Aussie would have kept such cool in such a situation.

cyclone87

irfan said:
Once again, stop whining and focus on cricket. :D

Wait... so first you take a shot at some guy who's fighting with Tendulkar, then you skite about the U19 Indian side and then call Australians racist before bringing up the issues of Dhoni's gloves that only the media care about and then you tell us we need to focus on the cricket? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you?

irfan said:
Some have already started to lay out the damage control ... series loss will not effect our ranking mwahahaha :lol :lol

edit: +1 Tendulkar for taking the Lee beamer sportingly. I'm sure except Gilchrist or Lee no other Aussie would have kept such cool in such a situation.
Well we've already seen India implode.

artist

Banned
cyclone87 said:
Wait... so first you take a shot at some guy who's fighting with Tendulkar, then you skite about the U19 Indian side and then call Australians racist before bringing up the issues of Dhoni's gloves that only the media care about and then you tell us we need to focus on the cricket? Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with you?
1. Manjrekar has been carrying his vendetta against Tendulkar for ages, it comes out of pure jealously that he couldnt achieve 1/10 of what Tendulkar has. Just before the match, he had another piece criticizing Tendulkar and guess what he got served with Tendulkar's performance.

2. I have brought up the U19 WC before. This is a cricket thread and it is definitely on topic.

3. I'm not calling Australians racist, read my post again. Its the booing crowds who are racist. They do it to other countries too, apparently its all A-OK if you are the one dishing out the racism.

All three points on topic and on cricket.

Analog Bandit said:
Well we've already seen India implode.
We have, its not something that haunts 'em. :D

Grug

In other cricket news, Adam Gilchrist has been signed by Channel 9 to be part of their commentary team after his retirement.

If the snippets he has given while mic'd up in Twenty20 games are any indication, he should fill the role with aplomb. He has the perfect balance of cricket insight and razor sharp wit.

Must be getting crowded in the Channel 9 commentary box... I wonder if anyone will be moved on... hopefully Chapelli or Heals.

cyclone87

Any predictions for the outcome of tomorrow's game?

I'm hoping to see Australia play well with big innings' from both Gilchrist and Ponting but I'm sticking with what I said before, I believe India are the better ODI side at the moment and will win the game/finals.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Channel 9 giving Brisbane viewers 1pm-3:30pm and that's it.

What a fucking joke - what about those of us who have to work, you slimey fucks?

artist

Banned
speedpop said:
Channel 9 giving Brisbane viewers 1pm-3:30pm and that's it.

What a fucking joke - what about those of us who have to work, you slimey fucks?
Streaming .. I've been using a HQ (700k) stream throughout the series. :D

master15

Just quick bump for incoming 2nd final. Time for some of Australia's order to fire one suspects.

Any news on Sharma/Tendulkar? I really hope both are fit and ready to play. Should hopefully be another good contest, I'm backing the Aussies to comeback.

master15

Dhoni finally won a toss :lol

Yeah a bit of a blow for India loosing Sharma in my opinion as Sreesanth after the first couple of games has bowled pretty poorly and gone for plenty too.

Clarke coming in for Hogg which is a pretty tight call but I think better overall. It was mentioned by Pointing after 1st final he thought our bowlers probably bowled as bad as they had all series which I thought was spot on. Lee, Johnson and Bracken are all in the top 5 bowlers for the series yet didn't manage to get any early breakthroughs. They need to be on target otherwise Tendulkar may get away once more.

master15

And Australia's woeful bowling performance from the other night continues. Lee bowled well and beat Sachin a few times but his line seemed again slightly off and Johnson so far has bowled nothing but shit...oh and a ton of wides.

Sachin looks like he's in for the long haul. Pointing may really rue that dropped chance (As hard as it was).

And :lol at Tony Grieg's comment on Australian players wife.

Pachael

I'd say that it's a bit early for reactions, but it's definitely not 'Roadblock'-free, nor is it all-inclusive, which says a lot about where cricket is these days.

To be fair though, South Africa and Bangladesh didn't become the contest that India-Australia has become.
New world order

master15

cashman said:
mitchell johnson not having a good day.

Yeah tell me about it. Some awful bowling and now he's backing it up with some pretty dismal fielding.

Unless Australia can get some cheap wickets here, they're going to be chasing plenty. Looks like a pretty good strip though.

legend166

irfan said:
Clarke (snitch) this is not rugby mate .. lame and pathetic.

bloody hell you're such a little pissant. I've tried ignoring you but you're just so damn annoying.

It was an accident. Tendulkar had a laugh. Everyone had a laugh. You just have to try and turn everything against Australia because you're a racist little prick.

Ugh.

artist

Banned
legend166 said:
bloody hell you're such a little pissant. I've tried ignoring you but you're just so damn annoying.

It was an accident. Tendulkar had a laugh. Everyone had a laugh. You just have to try and turn everything against Australia because you're a racist little prick.

Ugh.
Well obviously you havent seen the replays, he was pulling Tendulkar's pyjamas down .. the commentators mentioned it a rugby tackle for no reason.

Prick.

legend166

They were making a joke.

Go run into someone and fall over. Tell me what your first reaction is. It's to grab on to the other person to try and stop yourself from falling over.

ASFASDKJHFHS;DJHFASKDJ;HFASKJ;DHFKSAJDH

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

master15

Wow at someone clearly not getting the whole picture. As usual trying desperately to stir the pot once more. If I were you I would focus more on the cricket for a change because you guys are doing bloody well.

Singh is finally getting a free reign. But boy with some of the shots he's playing he may be batting Australia out here.

cyclone87

Australia's field placement is very strange, all India have to do is touch the ball and they've got at least a single. Also bowling Symonds and Clarke this late in the innings when the others have plenty of overs doesn't really make sense to me. I hope Ponting knows what he's doing.

master15

Singh's nightmare tour of Australia continues. Getting out to a long hop of all things from Symonds :lol

Unfortuntely Dhoi's promoted himself and smashing the part-timers to all parts of the ground. India definitely on for 300 here.

master15

cyclone87 said:
Australia's field placement is very strange, all India have to do is touch the ball and they've got at least a single. Also bowling Symonds and Clarke this late in the innings when the others have plenty of overs doesn't really make sense to me. I hope Ponting knows what he's doing.

The problem is Johnson has been just awful today and Clarke has gone for plenty too. Pointing unfortuntely has had to rely on the part-timers first to make up some overs but secondly to hope for a breakthrough.

Sydney Lee, Bracken and Johnson didn't pick up a single wicket and here again none of them have struck. Hardly the performance you want when trying to get back into a final series.

Edit: Tendulkar get's out in the 90's :lol once again. Well played though sir.

cyclone87

Tendulkar has played unbelievably well in the finals, out of the 100 overs India have faced he's been there for 90 of them.

master15

India bastmen getting memories of Sydney? Clarke grabs another, that's 3 for him :lol

However with India wisely picking two spinners and the pitch dying here doesn't bode well for Australia latter tonight.

Top Bottom