• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

fse

Eh my iPad runs no hotter than how the iPad 1 was. It's just probably from it being used a lot these past few days, as is normal for new gadgets.

LCfiner

Eh my iPad runs no hotter than how the iPad 1 was. It's just probably from it being used a lot these past few days, as is normal for new gadgets.

Oh, I've noticed the new one can run warm at times when the first and second didn't. It's not hot like a laptop. It is slightly warmer on the left side compared to the right. Not a big deal but I noticed it after using it around on hour on Friday.

No, it's different. Go hold an iPad 2 in an Apple store. Cold. Hold a new one. Quite hot in some cases, very warm in others. It's definitely not the same.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
No, it's different. Go hold an iPad 2 in an Apple store. Cold. Hold a new one. Quite hot in some cases, very warm in others. It's definitely not the same.

I have been using my ipad for the last hour using airplay and browsing the web, and the back is just as cool to the touch as my 2 ever was. My brightness isnt on torch mode though.

Quick

Banned

That explains it. I was using it earlier for 15 minutes and it got pretty warm. I thought maybe I was just holding onto it too long.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
How did you do that? What was the engraving on the back, something generic and not your name I'm assuming?

The engraving was on the back and was purchased through Apple.com. The CR rep at the register didn't even look on the back to verify - she quickly went to the settings menu to match the serial number to my electronic receipt, scanned it with the box and asked me which model I wanted to upgrade to.

The engraving was very personal to the both of us, but she bought the wrong model. I told her the only thing she needed to engrave for me next time would be a tombstone.

Piggus

It gets warm but I don't see what the big deal is. Just because it gets warm doesn't mean it's in danger of overheating. Play Crysis and then touch the CPU heatsink on your PC if you want to know what "hot" electronics really feels like.

EDIT: Also for people wanting a leather case, check out the SENA cases. I'm a huge proponent of the SENA Ultraslim sleeve. It's perfect for the iPad.

I have been using my ipad for the last hour using airplay and browsing the web, and the back is just as cool to the touch as my 2 ever was. My brightness isnt on torch mode though.

I've used mine for two+ hours tonight, still cool. I assume the units in stores are on full brightness plus plugged in constantly charging. Thus the heat, but that is still different than older iPads that never got hot even under those circumstances.

It gets warm but I don't see what the big deal is. Just because it gets warm doesn't mean it's in danger of overheating. Play Crysis and then touch the CPU heatsink on your PC if you want to know what "hot" electronics really feels like.

+1

it's warm, not hot. It is noticeable, but certainly not uncomfortable or something.

I think the concern comes from the fact that some are overheating, as screenshots at sites like macrumors indicate.

railGUN

Banned
I would not describe my iPad as hot. I would say it gets slightly warm, in one corner, after lots of heavy use. Total non-issue for me. My MacBook Pro, now that gets hot.

I would not describe my iPad as hot. I would say it gets slightly warm, in one corner, after lots of heavy use. Total non-issue for me. My MacBook Pro, now that gets hot.

I hated my MBP. Sold it for a MacBook Air and the only time it heats up is if I attempt WoW on it or watch even a minute of Flash video. My experience with the new iPad appears to be different from most in that it never has heated up yet despite prolonged usage.

cnizzle06

Banned
So I'm finally getting around to syncing my iPad to my PC. However, my pictures from my iPhone won't sync to my iPad. Am I missing something?

cnizzle06

Banned
Man, that's perplexing. I mean, you can easily place apps/music/documents on your iPad from the iPhone but it doesn't apply to photos? Weird.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
okay, for those in NYC, the Verizon LTE iPad would be a wise choice. first shot is my local ISP, 2nd is Verizon's LTE network.

euoZx.jpg
ugvds.jpg

MOST impressive. jesus. and the fact that Verizon allows sharing to other devices? mmm.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm gonna get an iPad on Thursday. :eek:
Is there any sort of delay with in-store pickup? Like, could I order it Wednesday night or Thursday morning and then show up at the store hours later to pick it up? You know, just to be all V.I.P. about it.

Man I am impressed with the appstore offerings for the iPad. Some quality stuff.

Just got

ComicGlass
Textastic

What I need now is a file manager/unzip utility. I have a decent sized dropbox I am bouncing most of my files around, but I need something for unzips. Suggestions?

Also downloading my comics into comicGlass. Man what a smooth I/F.

Edit: How do you rename new folders you create in comicGlass?

i've had my iPad running all day doing something (solid white screen, movies, whatever), hoping that faint yellow cloud would disappear. It has not. I REALLY don't want to make another trip to the Zoo aka the Apple Store.

I might buy a couple more iPads in addition to the replacement one. That way if the replacement is a dud, I'll open the next one and hope for better. If that one is fine, I'll just return the unopened ones/duds. idk. I was really hoping the cloud would fade on this one, as it's perfect otherwise.

Proc

Is it night and day reading comics on the ipad compared to a laptop? Comics, the new toy appeal, airplay, the screen, and itunesU are all really pushing me to get one. I probably should replace my futon with a new couch before I keep considering it but still...One of these days this year I'm going to throw down some cash like the rest of you and walk out with a 32GB wifi iPad.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got the same mail from maroo. Tbh even if mine doesn't wake it up, I might not ask for a replacement. I have a smart cover for day to day use, the maroo is for taking it out and about so I can manage to press a button and swipe. Weirdly if they'd denied everything i'd probably want a replacement - its their fault for not testing and just assuming it was fine (although apple could have given some info to case makers). But because they are being so open, I don't feel like causing them more pain than they'll already be in - specially as they had the 50% off sale so would have shipped a lot

Got the same mail from maroo. Tbh even if mine doesn't wake it up, I might not ask for a replacement. I have a smart cover for day to day use, the maroo is for taking it out and about so I can manage to press a button and swipe. Weirdly if they'd denied everything i'd probably want a replacement - its their fault for not testing and just assuming it was fine (although apple could have given some info to case makers). But because they are being so open, I don't feel like causing them more pain than they'll already be in - specially as they had the 50% off sale so would have shipped a lot

Wanna sell me one of your smart covers lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is it night and day reading comics on the ipad compared to a laptop? Comics, the new toy appeal, airplay, the screen, and itunesU are all really pushing me to get one. I probably should replace my futon with a new couch before I keep considering it but still...One of these days this year I'm going to throw down some cash like the rest of you and walk out with a 32GB wifi iPad.

Compared to a laptop? Absolutely. Form factor is much closer to a comic/book. Screen is gorgeous, full screen viewing with simple tap/swipe to change pages means you're absorbed in the comic much more, it's so much lighter and easier to rest on your lap while reading, simple to grab and instant on.

Also so much better than a laptop for web browsing (unless you need 27 tabs open simultaneously and absolutely must have flash)

Teddman

Man I am impressed with the appstore offerings for the iPad. Some quality stuff.

Just got

ComicGlass
Textastic

What I need now is a file manager/unzip utility. I have a decent sized dropbox I am bouncing most of my files around, but I need something for unzips. Suggestions?

Also downloading my comics into comicGlass. Man what a smooth I/F.

Edit: How do you rename new folders you create in comicGlass?
Try "Izip.com" for an unzip utility. It's an iPhone app and a little wonky, but it works. And is free.

FilesConnect is probably the best "file manager," wifi NAS/computer browser, cloud service accesser, etc.

To rename a folder in ComicGlass, tap and hold on it and an edit screen will come up.

Yaska

FFFffff. I might be there around 23:45 hoping that I can get one. Don't feel like standing in line any longer than that haha.

Can't understand why they wouldn't just allow for online orders. Funny thing is that my shop allowed preorders briefly and my order still stands :D

Midas

Can't understand why they wouldn't just allow for online orders. Funny thing is that my shop allowed preorders briefly and my order still stands :D

Apple? Well, they're quite smart in the whole supply chain management here. Making sure that most of the allocation was available for their biggest markets and when launching in 25 new countries, just allow them to order on that day, essentially making it BTO.

Hopefully the stores have a few units and not just 20 or so.

Compared to a laptop? Absolutely. Form factor is much closer to a comic/book. Screen is gorgeous, full screen viewing with simple tap/swipe to change pages means you're absorbed in the comic much more, it's so much lighter and easier to rest on your lap while reading, simple to grab and instant on.

Also so much better than a laptop for web browsing (unless you need 27 tabs open simultaneously and absolutely must have flash)

I think the case for flash is almost in the sunset with the exception of a few holdouts (newgrounds which I don't think i've been to in years) I usually don't have more than 4-5 tabs at a time open anyways.

georgc

Just figured out how to watch true 1080 P movie trailers on apple.com Man this screen is magnificent. Here's a good example, Pixar's brave.

Step 1: go to apple.com and hold press on watch HD and copy the link for the movie you want to watch and this is what you get

http://trailers.apple.com/movies/disney/brave/brave-tlr3_a720p.m4v?width=1280&height=544

Step 2: now remove this

a720p.m4v?width=1280&height=544

Step 3: now add on this

h1080p.mov

Step 4: and this is what you should get put this in your Safari and enjoy the HD glory.

http://trailers.apple.com/movies/disney/brave/brave-tlr3_h1080p.mov

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think the case for flash is almost in the sunset with the exception of a few holdouts (newgrounds which I don't think i've been to in years) I usually don't have more than 4-5 tabs at a time open anyways.

Oh sure, I just don't know what Proc's needs are, so just flagging them up.

Osietra

Banned
Okay this is weird. I turned my iPad off last night to give it a decent wipe, and noticed that if slight pressure is applied to the screen, (most noticeably the central bit) it pushes slightly inwards, behaving more akin to plastic, rather than glass.

I don't think my ipad2 did this, so have Apple compromised on the sturdiness of the screen, maybe it's to do with the retina display. But to my knowledge, glass doesn't have that way.

You need some sort of light reflection to see the rippling in the screen obviously.

Blackhead

Redarse

japtor

Proper screen calibration usually has color balance to low warms, as opposed to cools or even neutral. I don't think it's weird to prefer cool though, but the calibration isn't really off or anything.

This conversation does remind me of how much time I spent on avs forums when I first started getting into hd displays. That took a bit of a mental cleansing to get over some bad habits I had (addicted to crazy high backlight, too much sharpness, had deep color on which was murdering my blacks, etc)
The issue I noticed on mine is that there seems to be a slight green cast along with the regular warmness. Like even a solid yellow has a light green tinge, kind of like a slightly off neon yellow. If it were just warmer calibration I'd probably live with it but noticing the green is bugging me like crazy with some colors (yellows, grays...and wood-ish colors in particular seem way off).
Okay this is weird. I turned my iPad off last night to give it a decent wipe, and noticed that if slight pressure is applied to the screen, (most noticeably the central bit) it pushes slightly inwards, behaving more akin to plastic, rather than glass.

I don't think my ipad2 did this, so have Apple compromised on the sturdiness of the screen, maybe it's to do with the retina display. But to my knowledge, glass doesn't have that way.

You need some sort of light reflection to see the rippling in the screen obviously.
iPad 2 did this too. The other option is either a thicker strong pane that doesn't flex or a thin pane that doesn't flex...but would likely just shatter as a result. Flexibility isn't a bad thing.

(don't ask me to explain how glass can be flexible but I figure it has something to do with the whole aluminosilicate structure rather than the usual glass material)

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
okay, for those in NYC, the Verizon LTE iPad would be a wise choice. first shot is my local ISP, 2nd is Verizon's LTE network.

MOST impressive. jesus. and the fact that Verizon allows sharing to other devices? mmm.
It is quite good. Now enjoy the pitiful data caps.

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Sort of off topic here, but maybe one of you Apple aficionados can help me out...

I am trying to add a few new contacts to my iPhone 4, but every time I go to the phone, type in the number, and push the + button, it throws me back to the home screen. Same as when I try to push the little blue arrow in the Recent Calls list - right back to the home screen.

Anybody know how to fix that?

Sort of off topic here, but maybe one of you Apple aficionados can help me out...

I am trying to add a few new contacts to my iPhone 4, but every time I go to the phone, type in the number, and push the + button, it throws me back to the home screen. Same as when I try to push the little blue arrow in the Recent Calls list - right back to the home screen.

Anybody know how to fix that?

Do you have the most recent update?

Top Bottom