• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse
I know this is going to sound stupid but I just use my finger and hold my thumb under my index finger as if I was holding a pen in between (of zero thickness, of course). I find that this slight thumb bracing brace is enough for me to believe I’m using a pen or marker with my index finger and I get enough fidelity on the ipad screen to keep doing this.

My handwriting looks and flows like my normal handwriting by doing this. and my little doodles look about the same as they would if i were using a medium tipped pen

maybe everyone does this but whenever I see videos of people using their fingers to write or sketch, it never shows the thumb in position, mimicking the pen grip. when I just use my index finger alone, it feels weird and my writing/ sketching never looks or feels right.

Lol, why the hell have I never thought of this? I feel like an idiot now trying to write with a single index finger.

Because the no app is optimized for a two finger drawing input. Many apps assosicate a particular action with a two finger tap and that could easily be confused with this drawing motion. For example, in the Paper app you're just as likely to set off the Rewind feature as to draw a line...

LCfiner

Because the no app is optimized for a two finger drawing input. Many apps assosicate a particular action with a two finger tap and that could easily be confused with this drawing motion. For example, in the Paper app you're just as likely to set off the Rewind feature as to draw a line...

Not if you keep your thumb raised a bit along the length of your finger.

But i suppose this depends your natural pen holding position. My thumb is never low to the paper when holding a pen so it works out. It would be a problem like you suggest if your natural thumb position is lower, as you would have to change your finger position into a form that you're less comfortable with.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
For Tweetbot, there's no way to get it to sync with what you're doing on web right? Wish that when I checked mentions I could get Tweetbot to detect that instead of having them show up as new.

A new challenger has entered the ring:

http://wacom.com/en/Products/Bamboo/BambooStylus/Duo.aspx

Aka same Wacom stylus but now with a pen on the other end.

I have no real strong feelings towards it aside from the fact that it seems to suggest Wacom is still investing in doing iPads stylii and hopefully there will be a retina update for their app and maybe some experiments with Bluetooth 4.0 in the future

Nice. I just got the normal bamboo stylus (is decent...don't tpreally use it other than to grade papers), but this one looks really interesting.

Edit: oh wait, it's a legit ink pen as well. I thought it was a smaller input for a touch screen. Never mind.

Still though, hopefully they update their app for the new iPad...same for notability.

For Tweetbot, there's no way to get it to sync with what you're doing on web right? Wish that when I checked mentions I could get Tweetbot to detect that instead of having them show up as new.

Yea. I've found this a bit problematic as well. At least it syncs with the Tweetbot in my iPhone.

plc268

Nah, my thumb wouldn't be touching the screen, it would on my index finger past the first bend.

At least, that's how I hold a pen.

sfedai0

Banned
Whats the best recipe app out there? Tried Epicurious and was not impressed. Not to mention its not Retina updated so its ugly as shit.

Sean

Banned
Apple working on iTunes 11 with iOS 6 support, improved iCloud integration

According to sources, Apple has recently begun internally seeding the next major release of the iTunes application for computers, iTunes 11. Work on iTunes 11 began prior to the release of iTunes 10.6, and the development of the new software product – that we are familiar with – is currently focused on under-the-hood changes, rather than cosmetic changes. However, Apple develops different portions of products in separate groups or at separate times, so the final product will likely include some new user-interface elements and more visible features.

Apple is working on iTunes 11 as a version of iTunes that supports their upcoming iOS 6 release and future devices. Apple typically releases new versions of iTunes alongside major new OS’s and mobile devices. While iTunes 11 is built as an iOS 6 compatible-release, according to sources, iTunes 11 could very well be a release coming farther down the road, and Apple could very well release another iTunes 10.x point update as a simple iOS-6-compatiblity release. One source calls that the more likely situation.

On the subject of iTunes, we’re still hearing that a full iTunes Store and App Store revamp is underway for a launch between this summer and the fall. Earlier this year, Apple purchased a company called Chomp to help with that refresh. Since then, we’ve heard multiple independent whispers that the Chomp team has been fully integrated into a team that specifically exists in order to improve content discovery within the iTunes application and the online store.

The above image is an actual screenshot from an internal iTunes 11.0 build, but we have seen more than that. iTunes 11 includes an increased presence of iCloud integration. Perhaps the biggest testament to this is a dedicated iCloud settings panel within iTunes. This panel is a centralized, always accessible spot for users to control iCloud related features while in iTunes. These features include iTunes Match, iTunes in the Cloud, iCloud iOS device backups and more. We’ll have more on this soon.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Can someone explain iCloud to me? Right now it just sounds like you can redownload stuff from the iTunes store and back up your contacts. I assume there is a lot more than that but I'm struggling to see it. I don't have an iPhone in case it's value increases with one

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Guys I've been thinking about those rumors of the next iPhone having a taller screen (1152x640)
If true they're not just gonna put another row of icons. What would go on that space?

LCfiner

Can someone explain iCloud to me? Right now it just sounds like you can redownload stuff from the iTunes store and back up your contacts. I assume there is a lot more than that but I'm struggling to see it. I don't have an iPhone in case it's value increases with one

http://www.apple.com/icloud/what-is.html

it’s an “umbrella” name for a number of services. having an iPhone and/ or ipad maximizes its usefulness.

you get bookmark syncing. push email, calendar, contacts.

photo stream (syncing and push of photos across devices)

online backups of iOS devices.

syncing of documents, key data and save states for iOS apps (and more Mac apps in 10.8)

plus syncing of iTunes media and app purchases across devices. and ibook bookmarks.

Guys I've been thinking about those rumors of the next iPhone having a taller screen (1152x640)
If true they're not just gonna put another row of icons. What would go on that space?

Did you follow iOS over the years? It's the most boring mobile OS on the market. It will be just another row of icons.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What if it was some sort of app data sharing/communication panel?

I really hope that 9:5 aspect ratio nonsense doesn't happen.

Please keep widescreen aspect ratios away from the iPhone/iPad, Apple.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
...classic case of not thinking big enough

who knows. its fun to think about though.

Yaska

Got my maroo case today, wake/sleep function works and I really like the material. Also using it as a stand makes typing really easy.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Something I've noticed using the iPhone Google+ app on the new iPad: when double-sizing it, the user icons become high-res, but everything else doesn't.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Visualizing iOS typing while super baked is crazy. Wonder when they'll get it so refined there you could just sorta grandly wave fingers around with a general intent and the words will come up.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
no.
maybe.
no.

I tried the original swipe on my droid like 3 years ago and it was terrible.

Edit, what the fuck I just bought a tv episode and it won't let me stream it it says I have to wait until its downloaded? WHAAAT? I just paid four goddamn dollars an it wants me wait twice as long as the show itself in order to watch it? Is this shit for real?

AndTAR

The downloadable brushes do seem pretty unnecessary, considering they could be easily replicated with the new brush editor tool.

All things considered, I'm happy. Same minimalistic and clean interface style as before, but still with an evolved feature set, and great speed in HD canvas mode on the new iPad.

Picked up my replacement iPad last night to try to correct battery issues I was having with my original. After taking it home an syncing it, I put it on the charger over night. When I went to grab it this morning, the charge read 100% but as soon as I unplugged it, it dropped to 96%.

I'm still seeing a constant, steady drop in battery so far, but I'm going to drain it completely and fully charge to condition it before I make a final report. Seems that this battery is flakier than my original at this point, but hopefully it'll stabilize after a full round of conditioning.

Yes, for the home screen it would just allow for another row of icons.

But, in every other way it adds to the experience. Browsing the web allows you to see more vertically. 20% more screen real estate is 20% more screen real estate, no matter how you cut it. 16:9 videos would fill the screen almost perfectly.

IMO it's a win/win across the board, and quite honestly it seems like a very likely scenario for the next iPhone.

My girlfriend wants wants to sync some DVDs she converted with Handbrake to her new iPad, which she's never synced to a computer yet (she's using iCloud), but has a bunch of stuff on.

What's the best way to get her movies on the iPad without her losing all of her stuff? I'm worried that if I try to sync it to a new iTunes installation it will bug out and she'll lose her precious Smurf/Zombiefarm/Whatever saves.

Any ideas?

TxdoHawk

Thin black line came back and turned out to be a screen issue, not Facebook. Exchanged and traded up for a Verizon LTE model.

Enjoying the speed, but seriously...I can burn through my data cap in two days streaming video, but I still need wifi to download anything bigger than 50MB off the app store? Why?

My girlfriend wants wants to sync some DVDs she converted with Handbrake to her new iPad, which she's never synced to a computer yet (she's using iCloud), but has a bunch of stuff on.

What's the best way to get her movies on the iPad without her losing all of her stuff? I'm worried that if I try to sync it to a new iTunes installation it will bug out and she'll lose her precious Smurf/Zombiefarm/Whatever saves.

Any ideas?
Just connect it, tell iTunes you want to manually manage music and videos, turn off syncing for everything else too like contacts and what have you, make sure it does not sync the apps and then click apply.

giga

This is pretty interesting. Both the new $400 iPad 2 and ATV3 use a 32nm A5, instead of 45nm like the old $500 iPad 2 and the A5X. The one in the ATV3 just has one core disabled.

It's 44% smaller and should consume less power, in addition to costing less to produce. I'd expect the A6 to be 32nm. (if TSMC can't keep up)

A5vsA5fromatv.jpeg

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5742/apples-ipad-24-also-uses-32nm-a5-s5l8942-soc

VPhys

So I'm able to set up my iPad to sync with Google calendar fine, but viewing the calendar on the iPad I'm unable to edit or delete entries. Is there a way to do this?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Going on a few trips the next couple weeks, wondering if people had iPad app recommendations for entertainment or useful travel stuff. Driving down to D-Land (6 hours), staying at the park for the weekend, then flying to Paris (11 hours) and staying in France for a week.

Here's what's on tap, note that I have the wi-fi model fwiw:

Reading
Kindle
Comixology
Instapaper

Watching
Netflix
HBO Go
NBA Courtside

Listening
Pandora
Last.fm

Bunch of games

Any good stuff I'm missing?

Any ideas?

You can custom set iTunes to sync just what you want and it'll even warn you if you're already syncing calendars, contacts, etc. from iCloud. It's simple as can be and actually pretty hard to mess up.

buhdeh

Wow, I was a non-believer at first and thought the iPad was just a stupid oversized iPod touch but it really is a great product. Now I didn't have the iPad 1 or 2 but browsing on the new one is just a joy. I don't think I would have been as happy with the older ones if you had to zoom in on every site to be able to read.

My only complaints would be weight and maybe the loooooong charge times. Also, iMessage is a mess on the iPad and I've just disabled it completely. I'm not going to ask all my contacts to add my Apple ID email. It should've been able to connect to your phone number.

dream

Did our man gigs ever post his visual comparison of iPad and the Kindle Fire? Or is he doing this on his "sure, dream, I'll share all my Stevenotes with you" schedule?

dkeane

Can anyone recommend a good alarm/ timer app. I just need the same funcionality that the iPhone has. Makes zero sense why that app doesn't come on the iPad.

Husker86

So I'm able to set up my iPad to sync with Google calendar fine, but viewing the calendar on the iPad I'm unable to edit or delete entries. Is there a way to do this?

Have you gone to m.google.com on your iPad and then clicked the "Sync" icon and selected the calendars that you want to sync? This might not be a solution since you can already see the events, but I can do everything just fine but had to check all my alternate calendars first.

Top Bottom