• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Common sense mixed with a bit of optimism. Anything else is going to be a huge detriment to your tablet experience, especially on something as big as the iPad.

Lace

I've been looking for cables around 10feet so I can lay on my bed. However, while looking at cables I've realized that they might now work with the extra power needed to charge the iPad. Anyone know if this will be a problem?

rezuth

I've been looking for cables around 10feet so I can lay on my bed. However, while looking at cables I've realized that they might now work with the extra power needed to charge the iPad. Anyone know if this will be a problem?
Wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to get an extension cord?

Tech question here.

Can anyone with the new iPad compare the browsing to the iPad 2?

I'm specifically wondering if pages reload as frequently as the iPad 2? I know the video memory doubled, and I was curious if that helped in this regard.

Lace

Tech question here.

I'm specifically wondering if pages reload as frequently as the iPad 2? I know the video memory doubled, and I was curious if that helped in this regard.

I haven't noticed any huge improvements in my personal usage. It refreshes a little less then the iPad 2 but it still definitely happens for me. However, keep in mind I visit sites like Tumblr that pack images into the ram.

rezuth

Tech question here.

They doubled the RAM and I never really had a issue with reloading of sites but it happened sometimes. It has yet to happen for me on the iPad 3 though.

tigerin

Question about refurbished iPad. I just recently bought one from apple, do I still be able to get AppleCare after 364 days like new apple products?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
any suggestions for a good stylus and drawing app? Bought my kids an ipad 2 so they leave my ipad 3 alone, and my son is into art so I want to get something that offers more than just a blank canvas and a box of crayons, but not something really complex to use.

kr2t0s

any suggestions for a good stylus and drawing app? Bought my kids an ipad 2 so they leave my ipad 3 alone, and my son is into art so I want to get something that offers more than just a blank canvas and a box of crayons, but not something really complex to use.

Paper is what I would recommend

Blackhead

Redarse
John Gruber takes 'The Talk Show' to Mule Radio
:O

5by5 radio app was released last week, by the way.

Paper is what I would recommend
:|

Hey mrklaw, how old is your son anyway? Paper, Procreate etc are more for teens imo

numble

He could've said "thanks for all the work done in the past," instead he makes it sound like he is switching a webhost. It doesn't help that the Mule Network guy is being an ass to people on twitter about it.

He could've said "thanks for all the work done in the past," instead he makes it sound like he is switching a webhost. It doesn't help that the Mule Network guy is being an ass to people on twitter about it.

It is kind of weird, maybe they left on bad terms?

Edit:
AtOXatsCQAADsCM.png

lol

kr2t0s

I don't really get the John gruber...fans? Not sure how to phrase it. I loves me some apple products, I keep up with all the blogs, hell I even write all my notes in plain text and in markdown just in case.

But I have no idea why people put gruber on a pedestal. All he really does is aggregate a few links from the day and barely even comments on them. I've never even heard his podcast, have no idea what 5x5 is, let alone mule.

I guess my point is that he really isn't that popular...or at least as popular as his followers thinks he is. That one guy - Ben Brooks wants to be him so bad it's embarrassing.

In the grand scheme of things he is still just a blogger....I don't get it.

Can anyone catch me up to date with his talk show and where he was before and why he's moving it and why its such a big deal?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I don't really get the John gruber...fans? Not sure how to phrase it. I loves me some apple products, I keep up with all the blogs, hell I even write all my notes in plain text and in markdown just in case.

But I have no idea why people put gruber on a pedestal. All he really does is aggregate a few links from the day and barely even comments on them. I've never even heard his podcast, have no idea what 5x5 is, let alone mule.

I guess my point is that he really isn't that popular...or at least as popular as his followers thinks he is. That one guy - Ben Brooks wants to be him so bad it's embarrassing.

In the grand scheme of things he is still just a blogger....I don't get it.

Can anyone catch me up to date with his talk show and where he was before and why he's moving it and why its such a big deal?

that's being kind. the dude is a moron. basically a poor man's mg siegler

numble

He did a podcast called "The Talk Show" with a guy, Dan Benjamin, who went on to create his own network of podcasts afterwards, with "The Talk Show" as one of the podcasts.

Dan would basically prepare show notes, get sponsors, and prepare a list of topics for each episode, and Gruber would show up on a bad WiFi Skype connection, most of the time half-awake, and a lot of the times clear his throat and mumble some responses to things he wanted to talk about, saying "I dunno" to other topics. He'll randomly talk about Yankees, sodastreams, and movies, and not understand some things like the Xbox. They did about a 100 episodes or so.

Gruber announced that the show (”my show") is moving to another podcast network, with the same name, with no explanation or acknowledgement of Dan's past work or why they are splitting up. He basically announced it like he was switching a domain registrar or something.

Also, the new Talk Show sucks because of a lack of order. The dude is no longer kept in check and just rambles and rambles, with intermissions where he monotonously reads a sponsor's text.

Everybody rate up my iTunes review :p

Blackhead

Redarse
Loved the tweet drama that went on about Gruber moving from 5by5, guys were acting like Dan Benjamin had just been assassinated.

Listened a bit to the recent 5by5 Talk Show. Dan Benjamin sounded like he had no idea this change was coming. Dan had 5by5 Talk Show tshirts printed for sale in time for WWDC and Gruber ended the show affirming to Dan that he would be back next week. Not even a farewell episode. Really odd sequence of events.

Mule says gruber approached them
https://twitter.com/#!/MuleRadio/status/203567508660297728

I'v been listening to only Hypercritical (with the occasional Incomparable) for a few months now. I hope those don't get cancelled.

numble

Here is a good theory as well as coverage that I had found on The Verge:
http://www.candlerblog.com/2012/05/18/where-did-the-talk-show-go/

Dan launched a paid 5by5 app, and was about to start selling Talk Show T-shirts.

Gruber pushes people to Mule's free app, and is now starting to sell Daring Fireball shirts.

Gruber probably wanted a piece of 5by5's revenue.

Anyway, the above site points out a tweet by Gruber's wife that basically indicates that the split wasn't amicable. She basically says both Dan and Gruber are quiet about the situation instead of trashing each other.

Gruber's wife said:
I’m not mocking. But what do you want to hear? Them trash each other? They’re both better than that.

Tobor

Here is a good theory as well as coverage that I had found on The Verge:
http://www.candlerblog.com/2012/05/18/where-did-the-talk-show-go/

Dan launched a paid 5by5 app, and was about to start selling Talk Show T-shirts.

Gruber pushes people to Mule's free app, and is now starting to sell Daring Fireball shirts.

Gruber probably wanted a piece of 5by5's revenue.

Anyway, the above site points out a tweet by Gruber's wife that basically indicates that the split wasn't amicable. She basically says both Dan and Gruber are quiet about the situation instead of trashing each other.

I was wondering where we were discussing this if anywhere at all. Lol.

Bizarre turn of events, but to be honest, we should have seen it coming. The show hasn't been the same since the James Bond reviews ended. There were points when neither of them seemed engaged.

kr2t0s

He did a podcast called "The Talk Show" with a guy, Dan Benjamin, who went on to create his own network of podcasts afterwards, with "The Talk Show" as one of the podcasts.

Dan would basically prepare show notes, get sponsors, and prepare a list of topics for each episode, and Gruber would show up on a bad WiFi Skype connection, most of the time half-awake, and a lot of the times clear his throat and mumble some responses to things he wanted to talk about, saying "I dunno" to other topics. He'll randomly talk about Yankees, sodastreams, and movies, and not understand some things like the Xbox. They did about a 100 episodes or so.

Gruber announced that the show (”my show") is moving to another podcast network, with the same name, with no explanation or acknowledgement of Dan's past work or why they are splitting up. He basically announced it like he was switching a domain registrar or something.

Also, the new Talk Show sucks because of a lack of order. The dude is no longer kept in check and just rambles and rambles, with intermissions where he monotonously reads a sponsor's text.

Everybody rate up my iTunes review :p

That was awesome! Thanks for the recap!

Blackhead

Redarse
Thanks for the link, numble.
I was wondering where we were discussing this if anywhere at all. Lol.

Bizarre turn of events, but to be honest, we should have seen it coming. The show hasn't been the same since the James Bond reviews ended. There were points when neither of them seemed engaged.

Gruber still doesn't sound engaged! It appears to more over money. DaringFireball didn't even link to the new 5by5 app :?

Tobor

Thanks for the link, numble.

Gruber still doesn't sound engaged! It appears to more over money. DaringFireball didn't even link to the new 5by5 app :?

On his new show? That's as fired up as I've ever heard him.

He needs to find a good co-host again. The Moltz guy was weak tea.

LCfiner

I haven’t listened to Talk Show in a while but I always felt that Dan was necessary to prod and poke Gruber to say anything. It was Dan that made the show somewhat interesting for me to listen to.

I can’t imagine Gruber being a decent host on his own - doesn’t seem to be in his wheelhouse.

Plus the whole way this shook out seems like a dick move on Gruber’s part since it doesn’t seem like Dan got any advance notice about the move.

Tobor

I haven’t listened to Talk Show in a while but I always felt that Dan was necessary to prod and poke Gruber to say anything. It was Dan that made the show somewhat interesting for me to listen to.

I can’t imagine Gruber being a decent host on his own - doesn’t seem to be in his wheelhouse.

Plus the whole way this shook out seems like a dick move on Gruber’s part since it doesn’t seem like Dan got any advance notice about the move.

I don't know that it's fair to throw Gruber under a bus without any facts. That blog post is interesting, but it's all speculation. For all we know this has been brewing for a while.

numble

Gruber's style was that he would always just show up, unprepared, and talk to Dan. Pretty easy job for a good paycheck (considering the costs of sponsorship), but he shares the sponsor money with Dan. He probably under-appreciated the fact that Dan actually prepared a list of topics beforehand, and "kept his finger on the scale" to make sure the conversation moved in a coherent and focused manner.

But Gruber probably thinks people want to just hear him talk, since people just want to read what he writes on DaringFireball. He's complained about Dan Benjamin "yeah yeahing" on his podcasts (just being a wall to the co-host that does the talking), so he thinks he can do it himself, and he can get that sponsor money and T-Shirt money himself (or at least something more than a 50/50 split which is what I assume his split with Dan Benjamin was close to).

But I think this snippet from an iTunes review says it the best:

Now Gruber is trying out the driver's seat in a format that features rotating guests and the whole thing has become a meandering mess. It is exactly like listening to two guys BS with each other at the next table at Starbucks. For 90 minutes.

LCfiner

I don't know that it's fair to throw Gruber under a bus without any facts. That blog post is interesting, but it's all speculation. For all we know this has been brewing for a while.

I think there's value in transparency when changes like this happen to personality driven shows.

It's the combination of that weird bit of Dan prepping all those talk show t shirts plus the total silence of any explanation from both parties that has me thinking this was very last minute on gruber's part. (plus we know officially that Gruber approached mule radio)

Tobor

Gruber's style was that he would always just show up, unprepared, and talk to Dan. Pretty easy job for a good paycheck (considering the costs of sponsorship), but he shares the sponsor money with Dan. He probably under-appreciated the fact that Dan actually prepared a list of topics beforehand, and "kept his finger on the scale" to make sure the conversation moved in a coherent and focused manner.

But Gruber probably thinks people want to just hear him talk, since people just want to read what he writes on DaringFireball. He's complained about Dan Benjamin "yeah yeahing" on his podcasts (just being a wall to the co-host that does the talking), so he thinks he can do it himself, and he can get that sponsor money and T-Shirt money himself (or at least something more than a 50/50 split which is what I assume his split with Dan Benjamin was close to).

But I think this snippet from an iTunes review says it the best:

I think you're overvaluing Dan Benjamin, and it's way too early to write off The Talk Show after one episode.

I'm willing to give Gruber a chance to get used to hosting, or find a cohost who can do what Benjamin did. Let's be honest, it's a lot easier to replace Dan Benjamin than to replace John Gruber.

At the end of the day, they'll both be fine. Dan Benjamin has tons of shows with other pundits, and Gruber has his show.

numble

I think you're overvaluing Dan Benjamin, and it's way too early to write off The Talk Show after one episode.

I'm willing to give Gruber a chance to get used to hosting, or find a cohost who can do what Benjamin did. Let's be honest, it's a lot easier to replace Dan Benjamin than to replace John Gruber.

At the end of the day, they'll both be fine. Dan Benjamin has tons of shows with other pundits, and Gruber has his show.

I think that sentiment about Dan is shared in most of the iTunes reviews about the New Talk Show, though. It seems properly valued. Them being fine has nothing to do with it. Jobs can still be pissed at Eric Schmidt, even if both of them will be fine at the end of the day.

I don't find Gruber particularly great, except for having sources that don't seem to have been talking to him for the past 2 years or so. And scoops aren't as particularly valuable in this new era. Apple is so leaky now that MicGadget gets tons of scoops (A5X, iPad form factor). It looks like Reuters and the Joanna Stern are now hearing from the same sources that WSJ hears from. Mark Gurman at 9to5mac also now has more scoops.

What you're left what is a lot of relinking (following the proper people on Twitter will get you the same results), LOL at this silly analyst/writer/commentator (shooting fish in a barrel, you can find irrational Apple-haters everywhere), and some random commentary about Apple philosophy.

Tobor

I think that sentiment about Dan is shared in most of the iTunes reviews about the New Talk Show, though. It seems properly valued. Them being fine has nothing to do with it. Jobs can still be pissed at Eric Schmidt, even if both of them will be fine at the end of the day.

I don't find Gruber particularly great, except for having sources that don't seem to have been talking to him for the past 2 years or so. And scoops aren't as particularly valuable in this new era. Apple is so leaky now that MicGadget gets tons of scoops (A5X, iPad form factor). It looks like Reuters and the Joanna Stern are now hearing from the same sources that WSJ hears from. Mark Gurman at 9to5mac also now has more scoops.

What you're left what is a lot of relinking (following the proper people on Twitter will get you the same results), LOL at this silly analyst/writer/commentator (shooting fish in a barrel, you can find irrational Apple-haters everywhere), and some random commentary about Apple philosophy.

Why were you listening to his show if you don't like the guy or his work?

numble

Why were you listening to his show if you don't like the guy or his work?

I haven't been a regular listener for a long time. I did listen to the latest show to see how it was like, though. I have a long list of podcasts that I listen to as filler, even stuff like MacBreak Weekly and whatever Rene Ritchies podcast is, because I have long commutes and long runs, and I just don't listen to music anymore. I just run out of things to listen to by the end of a week with 2 hour commutes and hour-long workouts. APM Marketplace comes before others, followed by Verge, followed by 5by5 podcasts, followed by MacBreak Weekly and other filler. I often search iTunes just for random podcast episodes on current events subjects that I'm interested in--I downloaded one talking about the new train line in Los Angeles, and I downloaded a bunch on the Chinese political shake-up a month or so ago. I have 23 podcasts that sync with my iPhone.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I'm really pretty bummed about the talk show split. It was pretty confusing yesterday. It was a good podcast. At least we still have critical path (which you guys should post in my hilariously underpopulated OT for) and hypercritical.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I mean pretty much all the apps look nice. I guess probably iBooks benefits the most.

Talon

I haven't been a regular listener for a long time. I did listen to the latest show to see how it was like, though. I have a long list of podcasts that I listen to as filler, even stuff like MacBreak Weekly and whatever Rene Ritchies podcast is, because I have long commutes and long runs, and I just don't listen to music anymore. I just run out of things to listen to by the end of a week with 2 hour commutes and hour-long workouts. APM Marketplace comes before others, followed by Verge, followed by 5by5 podcasts, followed by MacBreak Weekly and other filler. I often search iTunes just for random podcast episodes on current events subjects that I'm interested in--I downloaded one talking about the new train line in Los Angeles, and I downloaded a bunch on the Chinese political shake-up a month or so ago. I have 23 podcasts that sync with my iPhone.
Listen to Planet Money and This American Life to save your mind from useless fanboy podcasts.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The way the iPhones screen is pressed right up against the glass honestly seems just as important as the resolution. It really really bugs me on the iPad that the screen is recessed. I've been playing with a Gameboy light a lot lately and I know this is gonna seem dramatic but the iPad kinda looks like that. Obviously not as drastic and since it is a color screen it's kinda oranges to apples, but the Gameboy Light's display has clear and defined layers. It's pretty cool, actually. When you look at it the different layers are easily discernible. It has made me take notice to how recessed the iPad's screen actually is. It's crazy when you see a random person using an iPhone from the side, it looks like the screen is a real surface.

I've also been playing a lot of pokemon on a ds light and holy shit those screens are terrible.

numble

Listen to Planet Money and This American Life to save your mind from useless fanboy podcasts.
They're actually on my list. They require more focus though, so I've kind of stopped listening. They've really just like background noise that I half pay attention to as I do my hundreds of language flashcards on my phone.

SuperPac

Sad to hear about the 5by5 Talk Show split. I never much cared for the Bond stuff but thought it was an interesting show and was the reason I ended up listening to the other 5by5 'casts. Hope this doesn't mean Marco or Siracusa go anywhere, cuz that would be a damn shame. Dan does a good job of keeping things on track.

While we don't know the whole situation, hard to see it any other way than gruber being a jerk.

kr2t0s

Dear lord...listening to an old episode of The Talk Show - #88, http://5by5.tv/talkshow/88 This is beyond painful to listen to.

How do you guys have all this free time to listen to podcasts? I'm being serious! I only listen to 1 podcast - 99% invisible because it's like 10 minutes long. And I even have a hard time fitting those 10 minutes into my schedule.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I probably listen to about 9 hours of podcasts a week. Mostly when I get done working or am out for a walk. Its great while cooking. I can't browse and listen though, which means I don't get to listen to as much as I'd like. There a lot of great podcasts out there.

LCfiner

Dear lord...listening to an old episode of The Talk Show - #88, http://5by5.tv/talkshow/88 This is beyond painful to listen to.

How do you guys have all this free time to listen to podcasts? I'm being serious! I only listen to 1 podcast - 99% invisible because it's like 10 minutes long. And I even have a hard time fitting those 10 minutes into my schedule.

I listen to them at work, in the car and maybe a couple hours throughout the week at home. (although i listen to fewer podcasts now than I did 3 or 4 years ago)

you may have an extraordinarily busy schedule but not everyone else does. (thankfully my days of having nearly zero free time ended with university years ago.)

kr2t0s

I wish I had more free time :(

2 year old child has killed it all. Plus i drive him to daycare in the morning/evening so I don't have a lot of free time while driving anymore either.

Jealous

Top Bottom