• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
After 48 hours with the mini, my memories of the iPad3 are like some horrible nightmare I've just awoke from. "Phew, thank god.. its not actually that big." The 10inch iPad is a laughable albatross that has no place.

bob page

Mini, iPad 3, or iPad 4? Money is an issue but the top two COULD be afforded if needed. Mini price is ideal.

Want to use it for email, webbrowsing, netflix, watching tv, listening to music, following along with slides in class, and maybe writing some quick stuff or doing homework with an external keyboard.

I don't like the iPad 2 because of the shitty cameras, no Siri, and I think it will lack support for as long as the Mini.
Mini. I can't imagine going back to the previous form factor.

Mini, iPad 3, or iPad 4? Money is an issue but the top two COULD be afforded if needed. Mini price is ideal.

Want to use it for email, webbrowsing, netflix, watching tv, listening to music, following along with slides in class, and maybe writing some quick stuff or doing homework with an external keyboard.

I don't like the iPad 2 because of the shitty cameras, no Siri, and I think it will lack support for as long as the Mini.

The refurb iPad 3 is a steal and definitely what I'd vote for. Today's Black Friday deal on the iPad 4 would make it my second choice. I'd definitely consider the Mini once it has a retina display (my bet is the very next iteration).

The refurb iPad 3 is a steal and definitely what I'd vote for. Today's Black Friday deal on the iPad 4 would make it my second choice. I'd definitely consider the Mini once it has a retina display (my bet is the very next iteration).

Yeah, most likely mini will get a retina display next year and the regular iPad will get a redesign(sleeker and lighter?), similar to the iPhone 5 and the mini next year. Either way, both devices will be hot!

As for the iPad 4, which one is better for browsing, black or white? I do not care about the color, hence I'm asking if which one is more suitable for reading or gaming. I used to own black before but never had a white one.

As for the iPad 4, which one is better for browsing, black or white? I do not care about the color, hence I'm asking if which one is more suitable for reading or gaming. I used to own black before but never had a white one.

I've owned both and prefer black, but I'm pretty comfortable saying that the color of the bezel doesn't matter at all when you're using it. Some people say black is better for movies or white is better for reading, but that's a real stretch. In the real world when you're using an iPad, the color of the bezel is a complete non-issue. Don't give it a second thought and pick whichever color you think looks nicer when the iPad is sitting on your desk not being used, because that's really the only time it will ever matter.

I've owned both and prefer black, but I'm pretty comfortable saying that the color of the bezel doesn't matter at all when you're using it. Some people say black is better for movies or white is better for reading, but that's a real stretch. In the real world when you're using an iPad, the color of the bezel is a complete non-issue. Don't give it a second thought and pick whichever color you think looks nicer when the iPad is sitting on your desk not being used, because that's really the only time it will ever matter.

Makes sense. Thanks man.

sruckus

^ I don't know, I have a white ipad for work and originally thought I'd like it, but I hate it. Everything blends in more with the black. This is especially true for video.

^ I don't know, I have a white ipad for work and originally thought I'd like it, but I hate it. Everything blends in more with the black. This is especially true for video.

I've felt the same way. White stands out as a border way too much.

After 48 hours with the mini, my memories of the iPad3 are like some horrible nightmare I've just awoke from. "Phew, thank god.. its not actually that big." The 10inch iPad is a laughable albatross that has no place.

My iPhone 5 makes the mini feel like a big laughable albatross.

But then there are times when I want a bigger screen. So there is the 4th gen iPad. ;)

I've felt the same way. White stands out as a border way too much.

Well I decided to go with the white. I used to own a black, so might as well try the white before sticking to one.

Next year will be the black, provided they do the re-design, similar to the iPhone 5/iPad Mini.

Sorry for this question but does anyone know if I bought a book on the ipad on iBooks and I want to read it on my phone do I first have to sync the ipad to my computer and then upload it to my phone? Or can I just attempt to purchase it on the iBooks store and it will recognize that I've already purchased it for a free download? I wish it synced without me thinking about this process. Anyone? Thanks in advance

Sorry for this question but does anyone know if I bought a book on the ipad on iBooks and I want to read it on my phone do I first have to sync the ipad to my computer and then upload it to my phone? Or can I just attempt to purchase it on the iBooks store and it will recognize that I've already purchased it for a free download? I wish it synced without me thinking about this process. Anyone? Thanks in advance

As long as you use the same iTunes account on your phone and ipad you can just redownload the book.

If you want to have your phone continue from the same spot as you were reading on your ipad I believe you need to make sure the iCloud accounts on both devices match, as well.

Not sure what will come of it, but in the next day or so Sharp is releasing their first product with an IGZO display, the new Phone Zeta (JP only, I imagine). Asus also has an IGZO product on the market, the Padfone 2. (Which phone + tablet combined apparently weigh less than an iPad 3?)

Normally I would be pretty skeptical on new LCD processes, but...
(a) Sharp has publicly already bet the company on this technology
(b) There is circumstantial evidence that Apple invested in Sharp to keep them afloat
(c) What little I can read on the Padfone 2 as basically just mistaken the screen as Super IPS and lauded the brightness. (A good thing, no PLS shenanigans here)

Hopefully this new phone means we might see reviews with actual study given to power consumption, so we can see just how good this technology is with regards to potentially lessening the weight of future iPads (and making an iPad mini retina possible down the road)

Not sure what will come of it, but in the next day or so Sharp is releasing their first product with an IGZO display, the new Phone Zeta (JP only, I imagine). Asus also has an IGZO product on the market, the Padfone 2. (Which phone + tablet combined apparently weigh less than an iPad 3?)

Normally I would be pretty skeptical on new LCD processes, but...
(a) Sharp has publicly already bet the company on this technology
(b) There is circumstantial evidence that Apple invested in Sharp to keep them afloat
(c) What little I can read on the Padfone 2 as basically just mistaken the screen as Super IPS and lauded the brightness. (A good thing, no PLS shenanigans here)

Hopefully this new phone means we might see reviews with actual study given to power consumption, so we can see just how good this technology is with regards to potentially lessening the weight of future iPads (and making an iPad mini retina possible down the road)

What are PLS shenanigans?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I currently have AVPlayerHD, as recommended in the Best of iOS thread. Works fine for me, but it's nothing fancy.
It's the one I use too but unfortunately it's been removed from the App Store some weeks ago. :( I'm still waiting to know the reason why or if it will be back, but make sure to keep a local backup of the app otherwise you'll lose it forever if you delete it.

Quick

Banned
It's the one I use too but unfortunately it's been removed from the App Store some weeks ago. :( I'm still waiting to know the reason why or if it will be back, but make sure to keep a local backup of the app otherwise you'll lose it forever if you delete it.

Completely forgot about that.

I'd assume that if it's been purchased, it could be downloaded again from the purchased list on the App Store.

th3dude

Most of the video apps are getting hit with lawsuit threats for using certain codecs, which is probably why some are updating and some are just disappearing all together.

Fuu

Completely forgot about that.

I'd assume that if it's been purchased, it could be downloaded again from the purchased list on the App Store.
I don't think that works with apps that were removed from the store but I'm not totally sure. I remember the same happening with a few games in the past and emulator apps that somehow got past the review process and were gone later.

Most of the video apps are getting hit with lawsuit threats for using certain codecs, which is probably why some are updating and some are just disappearing all together.
AVPlayer disappeared before I started hearing about that so I was left confused but yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the reason.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Hey!

Just joined iPad GAF :)

Been waiting for the platform to mature and thought now was the moment to take the leap of faith. Got the retinapad and I couldn't be happier with it!

So I got an iPad 4 (my third Apple device so far). I've been wanting a tablet for while and recently it boiled down to iPad vs Nexus 10. I was put off by how Google is handling the release of the N10 so it only made my decision easier(dammit Google).

Anyways, I really like this thing. The screen is really nice and no browsing the web my smartphone - for the most part at least lol. Now I need to find a case or skin fort his thing. I'm going to look for iPad version of what I have for my ipod touch.

I should be joining the Ipad club tomorrow. Can't wait! I almost went for a mini but I tried both out in person and while the Mini is a really nice form factor, I couldn't get past how bad text looked on it, whereas text on the retina Ipad looks gorgeous. I plan to used the Ipad for a lot of browsing and reading so that was a definite deal breaker.

Are there any cool ways to interact with the Ipad via my Iphone? e.g. using the phone as remote control for video playback? Or as a game controller?

VPhys

Stupid question, but how do you password protect photos and certain apps?

This was one of the most annoying things about iOS to me. Not only can you not password protect photos, but you cannot even delete photos once they are on your device until you sync the device with a computer!

This alone seriously had me considering an android tablet, however iOS does everything else so well that I lean towards Apple.

Fuu

This was one of the most annoying things about iOS to me. Not only can you not password protect photos, but you cannot even delete photos once they are on your device until you sync the device with a computer!

This alone seriously had me considering an android tablet, however iOS does everything else so well that I lean towards Apple.
What do you mean by this? You can delete pictures in the photos app if you click edit, select pictures and then click on delete.

VPhys

What do you mean by this? You can delete pictures in the photos app if you click edit, select pictures and then click on delete.

You can only delete pictures which you have taken with the iPad itself,unless this has changed in the last six months with some updates.

Fuu

You can only delete pictures which you have taken with the iPad itself,unless this has changed in the last six months with some updates.
You can delete pictures synced on the cloud through photo stream too, and yeah, you couldn't at first but they added the option with iOS 5.1 back in March iirc.

VPhys

Just checked and the situation is the same. If you sync photos from a computer to an iPad you cannot delete those photos without connecting to that same computer later.

I'll try to use photostream as a workaround to this but, the point is I shouldn't have to.

Exentryk

The "Best of iOS" thread mentioned Air Video as the best Video app. Anyone know if it is getting affected by this codec licencing issue?

I trialed the app and it worked quite well.

NawidA

Banned
The "Best of iOS" thread mentioned Air Video as the best Video app. Anyone know if it is getting affected by this codec licencing issue?

I trialed the app and it worked quite well.
Codec licensing issue?

All it does is transcode (on the fly if need be) to mp4. What would be the issue?

And yeah it works great.

4th gen ipad is one of the best tech purchases I have ever made, especially when compared to how my 4th gen iPod touch has been running lately.

I have the project red smart case and it is great, I just wish it stood up a little easier.

Top Bottom