• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Next Rainbow Six: Patriots Leaked

Vegas 1 and 2 were fairly awful. I guess any change is good news but we're getting farther and farther away from what made Rainbow 6 special (realistic planning and tactics.) The series is basically a Michael Bay movie now, in an industry of Michael Bay movies.

Neuromancer said:
Vegas 1 and 2 were fairly awful. I guess any change is good news but we're getting farther and farther away from what made Rainbow 6 special (realistic planning and tactics.) The series is basically a Michael Bay movie now, in an industry of Michael Bay movies.
Nope

"Rainbow Six: I Am America"

oh0dgm.gif

Vegas 2 was underwhelming as a story but I played the shit out of multiplayer enough to make Elite. I'd love for them to do more with Terrorist Hunt, too.

Raide

If it ain't real Rainbow Six, I am not overly bothered. Vegas was fun but the majority of fans wanted the tactics back and not just another fancy shooter.

GrayFoxPL

raphier said:
Rainbow six is supposed to be an international counter-terrorism force, hence many colored people, hence rainbow. And six because rainbow contains 6 colors and maybe 6 Countries are involved in the OPs. But oh well atleast it's not Ponyville seven

I like the reason behind.

I know the reasoning but it's still rainbow...a rainbow.
The fearsome Rainbow! If everything fails - call Rainbow. Death comes in the form of Rainbow. What you gonna do when a Rainbow comes for you? The last thing you see before you die is Rainbow... It's an endless pit of mockery. It's like a bad name for a kid in school. If real life special forces were named like that the terrorists would have a helluva time pissing on them. Might as well call them The Jelly Beans.

Zenith said:
Um, have you even played the originals?
Yes. That is i no way an answer to my question though. Loved the originals and loved the new ones.

You can ask questions without saying "um". It's condescending and silly.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Corky said:
The tears of the eagle manifest themselves as small ice crystals representing assault rifles.
various elemental bullet types confirmed. Borderlands eat your heart out.

kaskade

From the little info in this thread, I'm excited. I've been waiting for another Vegas like Rainbow Six game. I like the NY setting from that screen.

I am so very very happy over this news... I had given up hope.

I am not even kidding, I want this game so bad.

Only thing that could make me give up on it if they remove split screen and don't have some kind of terrorist hunt.

If they make this 360 exclusive I will buy a 360 just to play this game.

Always-honest said:
What makes it michael bay? Anyway, the story in R6v:2 sucked, bur terrorist hunt is always a shitload of fun with friends or strangers.

Terrorist Hunt in R6V & R6V2 was completely ruined by the fact that the enemies spawned out of thin air, a lot of times from areas that you cleared that were dead-ends, took any realism the game was shooting for and threw it out the window. That and the default cover system that allowed you to sit around corners and aim your crosshairs to place precision shots when you popped out which encouraged camping.

Ubi has no idea what they are doing, I doubt this turns out well, but I'll keep my eye on it. They have pretty much run Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell into the ground with questionable design decisions this gen, after those were 3 powerhouse franchises last gen.

Babalu.

i've been waiting for rainbow six for soo long.. I NEED THIS!

bring me back a tactical shooter instead of that run n gun modern warfare stuff!

TERRORIST HUNT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheVisualizer said:
Terrorist Hunt in R6V & R6V2 was completely ruined by the fact that the enemies spawned out of thin air, a lot of times from areas that you cleared that were dead-ends, took any realism the game was shooting for and threw it out the window. That and the default cover system that allowed you to sit around corners and aim your crosshairs to place precision shots when you popped out which encouraged camping.

Ubi has no idea what they are doing, I doubt this turns out well, but I'll keep my eye on it. They have pretty much run Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon and Splinter Cell into the ground with questionable design decisions this gen, after those were 3 powerhouse franchises last gen.
I must admit that they need to fix that little thingy. But even with that, and maybe even because of that, the game is always exciting.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
TheVisualizer said:
Saddest thing is that there aren't even any alternatives. SWAT 5 doesn't look like it's happening any time soon and even indies don't seem to care about trying this genre even though it's as under represented as anything, probably because of the close ties FPS games have with the AAA type industry...

Always-honest said:
I must admit that they need to fix that little thingy. But even with that, and maybe even because of that, the game is always exciting.

you are a glass half full kinda guy huh

it doesn't make it exciting, it makes it frustrating when you methodically clear half a level of terrorists only have one spawn out of thin air right in front of you while you are reloading or come out of a room you just cleared and shoot you in the back

Alextended said:
Saddest thing is that there aren't even any alternatives. SWAT 5 doesn't look like it's happening any time soon and even indies don't seem to care about trying this genre even though it's as under represented as anything, probably because of the close ties FPS games have with the AAA type industry...

yeah, and as long as this doesn't look like a complete abomination I'll probably be picking it up and getting some enjoyment out of it, but your right I am frothing at the mouth for a more tactical FPS experience and no one is gonna take a chance on that until people stop buying COD and BF which isn't happening anytime soon. Companies like Ubi would rather try to make half-assed clones that no one gives a shit about a week after their release instead of innovating these series in other directions...

Neuromancer said:
Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell were all so much cooler in their original incarnations.

And every single re-imagining pushes them further and further away from what made them great in the first place.

Throw in all the delays and developmental restarts and it's hard to imagine Ubisoft bungling the line much worse than they have.

RedSwirl

Just accept it people, tactical and stealth games are dead, largely due to Ubisoft's obsession with "accessible" games that miss the point. Best we can hope for is for some Slavic team to bring them back like whe Amnesia did for horror games or what ArmA did for combat sims.

TheVisualizer said:
you are a glass half full kinda guy huh

it doesn't make it exciting, it makes it frustrating when you methodically clear half a level of terrorists only have one spawn out of thin air right in front of you while you are reloading or come out of a room you just cleared and shoot you in the back
I understand what you mean, but i guess it's a dynamic way of adjusting the gameplay to where the players are and to keep them on their toes. I agree it's not perfect.

In no way does this empty my glass half way, but yes, i'm a half full glass kind of guy ;)

Druz

Bomber Bob said:
NBhiU.jpg

Would kill for a sequel

Didn't like it as much as the original but you know what? If I had known what the series would become I'd be singing Rogue Spears praises.

Ponti

Terrible name. If it only takes place in NY then terrible setting, shit is getting boring. Should be globe trotting.

Vegas was alright, but I really can't see Ubi making Rainbow Six more like Rainbow Six.

The Nature Roy said:
Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, and Splinter Cell were all so much cooler in their original incarnations.

That's cause military games have moved from making the player a dude, to them them THE dude. Hopefully we'll see a push back from the indie crowd. Frozen Synapse is a good start.

-BLITZ-

Ponti said:
Terrible name. If it only takes place in NY then terrible setting, shit is getting boring. Should be globe trotting.

Vegas was alright, but I really can't see Ubi making Rainbow Six more like Rainbow Six.

Well, I will give another hint that the game is not set only in NY :)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
RedSwirl said:
Just accept it people, tactical and stealth games are dead, largely due to Ubisoft's obsession with "accessible" games that miss the point. Best we can hope for is for some Slavic team to bring them back like whe Amnesia did for horror games or what ArmA did for combat sims.
I just don't get why no indies are trying out the genre. Surely it's more loved than that, and its audience wouldn't mind it looking cruder than your average big publisher FPS as long as the gameplay was there, maybe with a decent setting and the variety and presentation to spice it up with... I wouldn't even mind some visually abstract thing that can be done on a minimum budget like Frozen Synapse in FPS or something, calling it a simulation or pushing it as a cyber punk internet war or whatever crap... Just give me good level design, good AI, good weapon and tool combinations that can offer a good amount of tactical possibilities and good modes of play, from campaign to vs.

snoopeasystreet said:
That's cause military games have moved from making the player a dude, to them them THE dude. Hopefully we'll see a push back from the indie crowd. Frozen Synapse is a good start.

Shit, the thing I loved about the original was I had one guy I used to send on suicide missions where he'd have to take out 75% of the enemies in a level. He'd always end up succeeding and made me look like a little bitch in comparison.

Dipswitch

I thought Vegas 1 struck a good compromise between the old and new R6 games and I throught it was pretty decent. Vegas 2 fixed some of the squad limitations from the first game, but the game as a whole was complete dogshit.

So I'm on the fence about this new one. Generally, when you hear the words "gritty" come out of an Ubisoft PR release, it's time to put the wallet away.

Awesome, I loved RSV/RSV2. Coop T-Hunt was and still is the most fun I've had in a multiplayer shooter. I just hope they keep the people behind the latest Splinter Cell as far away from the game as possible. Seeing stuff like 'Rescue the Scientist' written in huge letters on the side of the wall was about the worst idea in video game history.

Druz

Dipswitch said:
I thought Vegas 1 struck a good compromise between the old and new R6 games and I throught it was pretty decent. Vegas 2 fixed some of the squad limitations from the first game, but the game as a whole was complete dogshit.

So I'm on the fence about this new one. Generally, when you hear the words "gritty" come out of an Ubisoft PR release, it's time to put the wallet away.

Horrible compromise it was so unbelievably boring. Same tag, breach and clear tactics, complete with horrible Peek-a-boo gameplay. Hate it. (Clearly)

cackhyena

I know the Vegas games were a big departure, but they are still the best co op and all around offline modes to be found in an fps for me this gen. I didn't even need online play. That says something to me.

Bazhard

Banned
Love the RB6 series and i really really enjoyed Vegas and Vegas 2 (mostly the terrorist hunt stuff) but i hope the next one is more polished, V1 and V2 were buggy and both felt rushed.

Gonna buy it regardless, been playing RB6 games since around 2000-2001, back when they released a huge pack that had RB6/Spear plus all the expansions, man i fucking loved those games.

I even enjoyed Critical Hour, Raven Shield, Black Arrow and that Gameboy Color RB6, i remember hooking up raven shield to live back on the original xbox.. fun stuff.

Sadly I have never played a Rainbow 6 game... But how does the multiplayer compare to say battlefield 3, but in a more close quarter combat area?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Considering the evolution of military games @ ubi, I wonder if this will be game that has an actual win-button.

ctrayne

RedSwirl said:
Tactical I can understand, but stealth is not dead. DXHR was fantastic stealth-lite, better than anything in recent memory. Thief IV and Dishonored are two 100% stealth-centric games that will hopefully be incredible. And they are making a new Splinter Cell, so who knows?

Rapstah

The Patriots...?!

I liked Raven Shield which was kind of a sequel to Rogue Spear. I did like the whole FPS OR tactical third-person planner genre they went for. You didn't have to control anyone if you didn't want to.

RedSwirl

ctrayne said:
Tactical I can understand, but stealth is not dead. DXHR was fantastic stealth-lite, better than anything in recent memory. Thief IV and Dishonored are two 100% stealth-centric games that will hopefully be incredible. And they are making a new Splinter Cell, so who knows?

Oh yeah, depending on how you played it HR was a very good Metal Gear game.

Radogol

raphier said:
Rainbow six is supposed to be an international counter-terrorism force, hence many colored people, hence rainbow.

Haha, holy shit, are you for real? What kind of cheap-ass rainbow would that be?

It's because of many different flag colors, not many colored people :p

Top Bottom