• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 'nigger' word myth - white people actually don't want to say it

Status
Not open for further replies.

zumphry

Banned
And life expectancy is almost 80. And? Do these 37.8 year olds not have parents? Are they not born into the circumstances that their parents chose to bring them into?

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Black people didn't create the "us vs them" mentality and they derive no net benefit from it; getting to say the n-word is a paltry prize from years of oppression under white supremacy.

It doesn't matter who created it, it matter who is perpetuating it now. When you say 'you can't say this word because of your skin color' you are creating or maintaining divisions. You didn't answer my question so I will ask again. Do you believe that this kind of Us vs Them mentality will end or prolong racism?

Shamylov

And yet despite that, you're apparently all for perpetuating it. Weird.

Yet, none of what you've said seems like you're remotely interested in removing the power from the word.

Your argument is entirely without merit. I am a little annoyed that I have to spell it out for you.

Black people taking back the n-word from white people and denying them its use is not a feature of white supremacy; this is not how white supremacy is perpetuated. The word depends on white supremacy but I'm certain that black people would end racism to neutralize it's power.

Shamylov

It doesn't matter who created it, it matter who is perpetuating it now. When you say 'you can't say this word because of your skin color' you are creating or maintaining divisions. You didn't answer my question so I will ask again. Do you believe that this kind of Us vs Them mentality will end or prolong racism?

See above

Shamylov

White people perpetuate white supremacy because it benefits them. The argument that black people are responsible for this because they want to use the n-word is outlandish.

Kadayi

Banned
[Your argument is entirely without merit. I am a little annoyed that I have to spell it out for you.

It would only be without merit if you'd produced a cogent counter-argument. Petulance doesn't cut it I'm afraid. Now try again, this time with reason.

Moneal

And life expectancy is almost 80. And? Do these 37.8 year olds not have parents? Are they not born into the circumstances that their parents chose to bring them into?

As I said the majority of the country was not alive when those were events happened.

Makariel

As my grandmother once told me two very important things:
"Don't be a bloody cunt."
"Stop your crying and grow a thicker skin.
Important life lessons learned.

I hold as evident that treating some words as special gives them more power, while everyday use takes power away from them. The worst that can happen to someone trying to offend you is that you don't give a shit about the word they think can hurt you, or stop you in your tracks. In other words: stop crying and grow a thicker skin. I've been called many things in my life, the day I let any of it get to me is the day I've lost.

Kadayi

Banned
I for one love it that many peoples overall worldview is run solely through the filter of the US civil rights movement as if this represented some universal benchmark, whereas, in reality, it was more a case of the US catching up with the rest of the developed world in terms of social progress.

zumphry

Banned
As I said the majority of the country was not alive when those were events happened.

Children are not born and raised without being given the knowledge of their parents/family. They learn about the world through their parents, friends, schools, and community. How is this concept in any way difficult to parse?

Moneal

Children are not born and raised without being given the knowledge of their parents/family. They learn about the world through their parents, friends, schools, and community. How is this concept in any way difficult to parse?
It isn't. Doesn't mean that those children are oppressed or in a system of racism.

Panda1

Banned
The word ISN'T bad when black people use it among themselves. They took that word back, white people don't get to decide it's wholly bad now.
#

Why cant white people also do they same as a collective take the word back too from negativity to positively?

zumphry

Banned
The system ended with the Civil Rights Act. Also fact.

I would love to hear you explain how redlining and housing discrimination only affected a single generation of people and has had no effect on people since the Fair Housing act was passed.

Last edited:

Sàmban

Banned
This shit is so annoying because some white people pretend like they are too dumb to understand the simple logic behind this issue:

1. White people “created” and used this word in their everyday practices of racism to dehumanize black people.

2. The reverse of point 1 is not and has never been true.

3. As such, white people should not use the word. Furthermore, because black people were the victims (not white people), they get to decide how to redefine the word. Some black people avoid it; many have recontextualized it into nigga.

The logic here is pretty straightforward. It’s not “racist” that white people cant use it because the power dynamics make it impossible. That is, white people are in no way rendered inferior by their inability to use the word.

The same is true for “faggot.” I don’t use the word, but I don’t give a fuck that some gay people call themselves faggots. I’m not gay, so it is literally none of my business.

HOW are some white people still struggling with this? Are you that dense?

Last edited:

zumphry

Banned
If the system was oppressing and racist against minorities then whites wouldn't have been affected by those.

Do you know what redlining even is? I feel like there's a disconnect here, and this conversation can't go much further unless you know.

Last edited:

Sàmban

Banned
If the system was oppressing and racist against minorities then whites wouldn't have been affected by those.

some people that "struggle" with it are not white and are against segregation in any way.

Are you black? If yes, you may. If no, you may not. Why? Because the word was used to dehumanize black people. It’s a double standard, but so to was the use of the word against blacks. Get over it.

Moneal

Do you know what redlining even is? I feel like there's a disconnect here.
Yes, its not approving loans for areas that are in poor risky areas.

Are you black? If yes, you may. If no, you may not. Why? Because the word was used to dehumanize black people. It’s a double standard, but so to was the use of the word against blacks. Get over it.

So you are ok with segregation, if black people decide its ok?

Last edited:

Shamylov

This tactic of having to go all the way to square one to prove that white supremacy still exists is foolish, we're no falling for it. You clearly just want to shut down discussion.

Sàmban

Banned

So you are ok with segregation, if black people decide its ok?
It’s not segregation. It’s. A. Fucking. Word.

Jesus Christ.

No one is going to keep you out of a nice neighborhood or refuse to give you a mortgage because you didn’t say nigger or nigga.

This is a stupid argument.

zumphry

Banned

Well, yeah, if by the bolded you mean 'neighborhoods where black people live', yes, because that's how the racist FHA treated it.

Please, for the love of fuck, educate yourself, and then come back and let us know how redlining has had no adverse effects on the generations of people/kids that have grown up displaced by it.

http://www.chicagonow.com/city-limi...aved-the-way-for-chicagos-segregated-poverty/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-modern-day-redlining-20180215-story.html

Moneal

It’s not segregation. It’s. A. Fucking. Word.

Jesus Christ.

No one is going to keep you out of a nice neighborhood or refuse to give you a mortgage because you didn’t say nigger or nigga.

This is a stupid argument.

Segregation is setting something apart. Setting apart words for only one group is segregation.

Kadayi

Banned
This shit is so annoying because some white people pretend like they are too dumb to understand the simple logic behind this issue:

1. White people “created” and used this word in their everyday practices of racism to dehumanize black people.

2. The reverse of point 1 is not and has never been true.

3. As such, white people should not use the word. Furthermore, because black people were the victims (not white people), they get to decide how to redefine the word. Some black people avoid it; many have recontextualized it into nigga.

The logic here is pretty straightforward. It’s not “racist” that white people cant use it because the power dynamics make it impossible. That is, white people are in no way rendered inferior by their inability to use the word.

The same is true for “faggot.” I don’t use the word, but I don’t give a fuck that some gay people call themselves faggots. I’m not gay, so it is literally none of my business.

HOW are some white people still struggling with this? Are you that dense?

Maybe if people let the word die on the vine we could move past this whole black people/white people thing and just go with people instead, versus staying tied to history.

Sàmban

Banned
Maybe if people let the word die on the vine we could move past this whole black people/white people thing and just go with people instead, versus staying tied to history.
Maybe. That’s what I believe too actually.

It still doesn’t mean white people can use it.

Sàmban

Banned
No but the people saying the words are.
But humans set laundry apart though (hopefully you’re picking up on how absurd it is to claim that something is segregation in the absence of power dynamics; if not, I can keep going).

Last edited:

Moneal

But humans set laundry apart though (hopefully you’re picking up on how absurd it is to claim that something is segregation in the absence of power dynamics; if not, I can keep going).
People are being set apart not the words. People are being set apart in 2 groups 1 that can say the word and one that can't.

zumphry

Banned
Well, yeah, if by the bolded you mean 'neighborhoods where black people live', yes, because that's how the racist FHA treated it.

Please, for the love of fuck, educate yourself, and then come back and let us know how redlining has had no adverse effects on the generations of people/kids that have grown up displaced by it.

http://www.chicagonow.com/city-limi...aved-the-way-for-chicagos-segregated-poverty/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-modern-day-redlining-20180215-story.html

Sooooo strange how this question never got answered.

Sàmban

Banned
The ones that can't say the word, are inferior in their ability to use the language.

I asked did it only affect minorities.
A language that was designed by the ones that can’t say it to hurt the ones that can. If the word was never used to hurt, we wouldn’t have this problem. That is the power dynamic. Those that can say it have everything to loose. Does that can’t have nothing to loose.

It’s like a get a big stick to beat the shit out of you, and you finally take the stick away from me and turn it into a walking stick and I start complaining “bu segegashun!!!” because I can’t have that particular stick back.

Moneal

A language that was designed by the ones that can’t say it to hurt the ones that can. If the word was never used to hurt, we wouldn’t have this problem. That is the power dynamic. Those that can say it have everything to loose. Does that can’t have nothing to loose.

It’s like a get a big stick to beat the shit out of you, and you finally take the stick away from me and turn it into a walking stick and I start complaining “bu segegashun!!!” because I can’t have that particular stick back.
So you are ok with the language segregation, got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom