• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorskin

----- ------
82Nehr4.png

The Nightly Show will provide viewers with Larry Wilmore's distinct point of view and comedic take on current events and pop culture. Hosted by Wilmore, the series will feature a diverse panel of voices, providing a perspective largely missing in the late night television landscape.

Mondays through Thursdays at 11:30pm on Comedy Central. (NA)

The Set:

HcVgur4l.jpg

Timelapse of its construction.

The Cast:

cLB3tYU.jpg

Emmy® Award winner Larry Wilmore has been a TV producer, actor, comedian and writer for more than 25 years. He will next be seen as the host of Comedy Central’s “The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore,” set to premiere on January 19, 2015. Most recently, he helped launch ABC's “black-ish” serving as executive producer.

Wilmore is best known for his memorable appearances as the “Senior Black Correspondent” on “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” as well as for hosting his own Showtime “town hall”-style comedy specials, “Larry Wilmore’s Race, Religion & Sex.” He has written for “In Living Color,” “The PJ’s” (which he co-created), “The Office” (on which he has appeared as Mr. Brown, the diversity consultant), and “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.” He also served as creator, writer, and executive producer of “The Bernie Mac Show,” earning him a 2002 Emmy® Award for “Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series” and a 2001 Peabody Award.
Source

ezMEEfj.jpg

Joining Wilmore will be Bollywood actress and culture reporter Shenaz Treasury, who got her start on MTV Asia and went on to star in popular Bollywood films like Ishq Vishik and Delhi Belly. She also wrote, produced, and hosted the Travel Channel series Culture Shock. The Nightly Show‘s panel will also feature New York City-based standup comedians Ricky Velez and Mike Yard. Velez was recently voted New York’s Funniest by the New York Comedy Festival, and was named one of Comedy Central’s Comics to Watch. Yard—who hails from the U.S. Virgin Islands—won Comedy Central’s Get Up Stand Up online competition and has also appeared on Inside Amy Schumer and HBO’s Def Comedy Jam. Source

Online streaming:
USA: http://www.cc.com/shows/the-nightly-show
Canada: http://www.thecomedynetwork.ca/shows/nightlyshow

Razorskin

----- ------
Its going to have a different format than colbert/stewart?

Yes, but will be similar.
Wilmore described the half-hour show that will fill 11:30 p.m. slot vacated by “The Colbert Report” on Comedy Central as a hybrid of “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart” and “Politically Incorrect.” The first half of the show will present a look at some key events of the day, while the second half will feature a roundtable discussion with a handful of participants that he promises will go “without a net.”

“The panel discussion will deconstruct events,” Wilmore said. “We’ll have a nice balance of the scripted element and the non-scripted.”

The show has a handful of contributors that will not serve as correspondents in the same way “Daily Show” features them — Wilmore himself was the show’s “senior black correspondent” for years — but more as contributors of comedic bits and perspective.

Wilmore and “Nightly Show” exec producer Rory Albanese and head writer Robin Thede emphasized that the show aims to add a different perspective on news and events to latenight.

“I’m not interested in doing a show where I give my opinion and people react to my opinion. Our show is more about the discovery of things. I want people who will teach me something,” he said. “We’ll have people on who maybe get their minds changed” after discussing a particular issue.

Source

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I think I like the name The Minority Report better, but I do like the idea of a panel show instead of another Daily Report.

Razorskin

----- ------
I think I like the name The Minority Report better, but I do like the idea of a panel show instead of another Daily Report.

I liked the name too, you can blame Philip K. Dick for the change.
He said he was also not thrown by the pressure of limited time to get the show up and running, nor a last-minute wrinkle in its official identity. When the series was announced last May by Jon Stewart, the “Daily Show” host and Mr. Wilmore’s mentor (as well as an executive producer on the new show), the title was to be “The Minority Report With Larry Wilmore.”

That sounded both clever and original to everyone involved, and, of course, it had the ring of familiarity from the 2002 Steven Spielberg-Tom Cruise film. But the ring got a bit too loud in August when the studio that owns the film, Fox, announced it was making a television pilot based on the movie.

“It became complicated,” Mr. Wilmore explained, because the only way to retain the original title would have been to always use it in the complete form. It would get a bit unwieldy, he said, when discussing the show in interviews or on social media repeatedly to say “The Minority Report With Larry Wilmore.”

“The last thing you want is brand confusion,” he said. So on Thursday, he and Comedy Central are unveiling the new title: “The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore.” That was the simplest choice, Mr. Wilmore said. It also fits nicely, temporally, between the shows that will bracket it four evenings a week: “The Daily Show” and “At Midnight.”

The main thrust will be to examine issues from the point of view of the underdog. In that way, the title change is probably a good one, he said.
Source

BigDug13

Sounds a bit like Tough Crowd which held that time slot before the Colbert Report.

RIP Greg Giraldo and Patrice O'Neill.

Regiruler

The intro part was good, but I'm wary of this panel portion that seems to be starting up.

These shows are usually stronger when it's just the host, IMO. I usually zoned out in the final third of both the Daily Show and the Report, and if the Lately show goes into a panel every episode it loses some of my interest.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm DVR'ing it while watching TDS now. I hope it does well. We all know it's never going to live up to Colbert. I guess it's off to a decent start though since Colbert Report never had it's own OT and we always just posted in the TDS show about it LOL.

Raxus

The panel stuff is pretty bad and the opening felt like an extended daily show segment to me.

I think Larry needs more of a voice in the proceedings.

Silexx

I found Larry was a little quick in moving on to each guest and it didn't allow for much discussion to take place.

But these are kinks that can be worked out as he finds his groove. I like what I see so far.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Opening monologue = funny but sorta just a racial themed version of the Daily Show

1st panel segment = super interesting but more serious than funny. It's basically what we wished CNN was like. I'm not sure if the comedy Central audience will put up with it

Keep it 100 = funny though I don't understand the full concept of it.

Ending segment = should be pretty funny in the future!

Good first start. They need to mix up the panel section a bit though.

KingK

That was pretty decent. Panel segment was surprisingly good. There's definitely room for improvement but the show has promise i think. I'll keep watching.

Penguin

It was a solid first show.

I think need to get use to the format (both Wilmore and the audience)

It does seem to be more serious than comedic, which I guess has to be with what discussing.

It's gonna be harder to nail down everything with 4 different guests each night.

Regiruler

Opening monologue = funny but sorta just a racial themed version of the Daily Show

1st panel segment = super interesting but more serious than funny. It's basically what we wished CNN was like. I'm not sure if the comedy Central audience will put up with it

Keep it 100 = funny though I don't understand the full concept of it.

Ending segment = should be pretty funny in the future!

Good first start. They need to mix up the panel section a bit though.

I actually had the commercials on mute, and didn't catch it in time to fully hear the ending segment.

Off-topic, but is your avatar Throne perchance? I only realized this now, and this is coming from a guy who had over half his SMTIV team made out of angels or light deities.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It was a decent first episode. His panel reminds me of Bill Maher's. I just hope it isn't all yes men/women: get some black republicans on there.

I like the keeping it 100 section, albeit did seem to move too quickly. Show feels like a mix of the Daily Show and Last Week: more serious like Last Week, but more in tone like the Daily Show.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, decent first episode is how I find myself feeling about it as well. I really hope it turns into something great

I'm not sure what to think of it conceptually though. On the one hand I think having a show like this that's very explicitly from a black perspective could be incredibly valuable. On the other hand I wonder if Wilmore is or ever will feel boxed in by that being "the show's thing". We'll have to wait and see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom