• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagels

You got Moxie, kid!
I agree with everyone calling for a full hour to make this work. Keep it 100 is obviously the highlight of the show. You could do a half hour of just that. Asking tough/funny/tough+funny questions of interesting people and then calling them out if their answers are insincere makes for good TV. The discourse in our country has become so marketing driven - every press conference, presidential debate, congressional hearing - you name it - is the same heavily managed, rehearsed, buzzwordy marketing package. There's a huge disincentive to actually say anything meaningful or sincere. It's nice to have a format that calls that out. You look better stating an unpopular opinion than waffling and trying to get out of it.

They get some genuinely interesting people on the panel each night. But man, they just do not have enough time to have a meaningful conversation about anything. Larry does a good job making sure everyone gets to say something, but at the expense of actually having a discussion. You basically get one question per panelist and it's often wasted in service of getting a laugh. I want the laugh, but if the segment had more time to breathe, you could get a little more back and forth and maybe have a few more of the interesting moments that they currently reserve for keep it 100.

I guess I was hoping for something a bit more like John Oliver has done with his show. To differentiate it from The Daily Show, Oliver does those great longer form pieces. You hear a lot more about each topic, which also gives Oliver the chance to tell jokes that require more of that background. It really works for me. I remember a quote from Bill Waterson about how things are always funnier when they're more specific. The joke you can make in a 30 second bit on the Miss America pageant is very different than the one you can make if you've built up 10 minutes of background.

I want to see the Nightly Show use the panel format to really mine those deeper veins of comedy and commentary. The potential is absolutely there. Give the panel another 20 minutes and I think you'll have a show that we're all talking about the next day.

RagnarokX

Sounds like great television if it has ppl raging lol.

People against vaccines are a special kind of rage-inducing. Their entire position is based on a very unscientific study that was instantly discredited by the scientific community and has led to and will continue to lead to many children getting illnesses that could have easily been prevented.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Been watching every episode morning after on Hulu. It's not bad, but it's not great either. I like Larry a lot, but the format just isn't working for me. Opening segment is normally the highlight for me, panel segment is too short and with the show being so new I don't think anyone really knows how hard or comedic it's supposed to be. Keep it 100 I find cringe worthy most of the time. It's goofy and pointless and for every amusing and funny answer and exchange there's two awkward and forced responses which make me want to shut it off.

I simply don't see this lasting in it's current form. Honestly I'd prefer they just ape Last Week Tonight and let Larry or one of his correspondents do a good 10 minute long expose on one topic or another instead of the panel discussion and Keep it 100. Then round out the show with something light and fun. They could occasionally take on an interview or guest if it works with the story of the night, but don't force one every night, that still for me a week spot of TDS which has great interviews, often times too short of ones, but a good majority are boring and pointless.

Making the show an hour might work to help flesh things out, but probably not in my estimate. At least not for a good while which the network likely won't want to wait on. Though if it means TDS gets an hour as well I'm all for it.

His show needs to be an hour if it's going to continue, cause the panel does not work in that short a time frame.

11 minutes of Wilmore's comedic take on a current event, along with a introduction of the issue.
22 minutes panel discussion
8 minutes of Keep it at 100
3 minutes closing comment and internet question.

I could see this working, and working quite well. But the change needs to be made, and made soon.

Agreed. I think they have a winning idea and if we lose @Midnight, do we really lose much?

Ultima_5

I honestly don't feel like this show is going to be around for long which honestly is to bad. I like Larry. I feel the show is to congested and i've never been a huge fan of panel segments.

Hmmm... weird to see all this negative feedback. I wan't a huge fan of the first 2 episodes, but I'm starting to like it. It's kind of refreshing to hear people talk to each other rather than yell all the time...

SURGEdude

Week 2 was a hair better excepting the anti-vaxxer. But they really need to cut "Keep it 100" to just Larry at the end. Also consider scrapping the monologue at the beginning if they really want to have a panel show. Cutting out 1 guest might make it more manageable. The biggest problem is they are trying to cram a full hour non-ad based version of Real Time into 21 minutes. There just isn't time for any insightful commentary.

Also my god get rid of the "contributors" who can't hide that they are reading off a teleprompter and staring past Larry and right into the camera.

I still have hope though. Larry has a lot of talent, Jon is EPing, and Colbert got off pretty rocky as well. But they need to figure out where they are going before they lose the Colbert people back to Colbert in September.

Crud

Banned
Show is getting stronger Larry is adjusting very well. The crowd is taking a liking to him quickly as well. And its refreshing that the panels never fall apart into shouting matches. I want more musicians on the show, they have interesting takes on topics sometimes.

Bgamer90

Banned
Last night's episode on obesity was my favorite episode of the show so far. It really showed though that the program needs to be longer or at least have a different format so that the panel discussions can be longer.

Lavell was about to tell his story about going to bed so hungry that he tried to eat his pillow (lol) but Larry had to interrupt him to go into a commercial break.

Ourobolus

Banned
So far I've been really enjoying the show, but they could definitely lose the "Keep it 100" segment and just extend either the monologue or the panel. The end question is entertaining, but the Keep It 100 segment is just quick questions to each panelist that don't really add much to the discussion (usually), and isn't really all that funny or interesting.

Booshka

God I wish Bill Burr was on for that Obesity show, there was so much tip-toeing around and skirting around actual opinions. Especially since Burr and everyone else lost Patrice O'Neal because of his morbid obesity, he would have kept it far closer to "100" than any of the other guests.

The, "95% of diets fail," comment was nonsense, Lavell quickly came back that people fail diets, instead of jumping off of that and continuing the discussion, it just stalled.

Crud

Banned
God I wish Bill Burr was on for that Obesity show, there was so much tip-toeing around and skirting around actual opinions. Especially since Burr and everyone else lost Patrice O'Neal because of his morbid obesity, he would have kept it far closer to "100" than any of the other guests.

The, "95% of diets fail," comment was nonsense, Lavell quickly came back that people fail diets, instead of jumping off of that and continuing the discussion, it just stalled.

Daym I need to see that episode I got it saved on my DVR.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Last night's episode on obesity was my favorite episode of the show so far. It really showed though that the program needs to be longer or at least have a different format so that the panel discussions can be longer.

Lavell was about to tell his story about going to bed so hungry that he tried to eat his pillow (lol) but Larry had to interrupt him to go into a commercial break.

yeah it really needs to be an hour long.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
And now keeping it 100 just became awful and awkward. I'm still trying to root for Larry but it's not a good show.

Ultima_5

100% agree. Last night's episode was really good.

so has the show been getting better? Since the vaccine episode, i haven't really bothered with it.

Also, this is kind of a strange comment, but does anyone get the feeling Jon Stewart isn't 100% behind this show? I feel like when Colbert came out, they interacted alot more between the shows & plugged it more.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Also, this is kind of a strange comment, but does anyone get the feeling Jon Stewart isn't 100% behind this show? I feel like when Colbert came out, they interacted alot more between the shows & plugged it more.

I think part of that was just how well the "Colbert" persona played off of Stewart's liberalism, and also how, being the first daily show spin-off, it required a bit more of that sort of relationship to get going.

iMax

That format was so much better. I kinda feel the best format would be a discussion panel for the Daily Show topic on before, actually.

DietRob

Ouch, is the show doing so bad they have to announce they are giving away tickets? That seems a little odd.

SURGEdude

Ugggg- back to the non-panel only format. I know it was dumb to expect a one-off episode to be the new thing, but still. They need to gain some depth and all-panel seems to be the way to go.

SURGEdude

One weird thing that is silly but kind of bothers me is that you never see the audience. Like not a single time since episode 1. Now I'm not looking for something like Ellen where the audience is half the show, but TDS and Colbert showed them enough so didn't feel like you were listening to a laugh track.

After watching a couple of shows, I think they should really try to change to the format to mostly all panel. I say Larry comes out on stage, camera panning to audience showing them clapping, Larry throws out 1-2 jokes (1 min max) on the topic. and goes right to the panel.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
After watching a couple of shows, I think they should really try to change to the format to mostly all panel. I say Larry comes out on stage, camera panning to audience showing them clapping, Larry throws out 1-2 jokes (1 min max) on the topic. and goes right to the panel.

I don't think the Daily Show has done an audience pan in a while, I know they used to pan over one part but not so much anymore.

I do agree with cutting the opening segment shorter, I think it needs to be there to set up the panel discussion but unless they get another half hour it needs to be shorter.

I don't think the Daily Show has done an audience pan in a while, I know they used to pan over one part but not so much anymore.

I do agree with cutting the opening segment shorter, I think it needs to be there to set up the panel discussion but unless they get another half hour it needs to be shorter.

I think it may be a good way for Larry to get a little more pumped... kind of like Colbert, eh.

He still seems a little nervous, which is understandable. He has those little muttering moments to himself

DietRob

I agree regarding making it a panel show. I liked the idea posted earlier of doing a panel on whatever major topic TDS has for the day. It would be a great way to tie in and find an audience.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I agree regarding making it a panel show. I liked the idea posted earlier of doing a panel on whatever major topic TDS has for the day. It would be a great way to tie in and find an audience.

Then problem there is the closer we get to the next election the more TDS is going to make fun of that, which would turn TNS into Crossfire. I don't think anyone wants that.

DietRob

Then problem there is the closer we get to the next election the more TDS is going to make fun of that, which would turn TNS into Crossfire. I don't think anyone wants that.

Yea that's true. Maybe a compromise would be to have a Panel based on TDS material when it makes sense then when it doesn't have a panel on another relevant subject. The idea is to just make it a panel show. Larry is getting a little better at controlling the panel but his 'monologue' segments has been consistently bad. In my opinion of course.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
They need to cut the intro shorter but have the panel there already. They also need to integrate keep it 100 into the normal discussion if there is a lull in the talk or nothing more to talk about. That way they save the whole 18 minutes for discussion more or less and use 4 minutes for the rest of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom