• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Has anyone seen the episode with Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Worth watching? I love Neil and him taking down CT nuts should be good, I hope...

abundant

Has anyone seen the episode with Neil DeGrasse Tyson? Worth watching? I love Neil and him taking down CT nuts should be good, I hope...

It was disappointing.

It suffered the same problem that has plagued this show, the other two panelist sucked, no CT nuts, and the conspiracy theories they touched on were boring.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Oh wow. I dropped the show a while ago but considered streaming this one, since you'd think Neil would be worth it. But I guess I'll skip that one too. Thanks.

Just watch it yourself. It's a half hour of your time.

I really like this show personally and they've changed things a bit. Now there are just 3 panelists.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Just watch it yourself. It's a half hour of your time.

I really like this show personally and they've changed things a bit. Now there are just 3 panelists.

I was kind of hesitant at first about the 3 panelists, but it makes sense because Larry is a consistent panelist more now and it doesn't feel like everyone is talking on top of each other as much. They usually put the bigger name in the single seat, though.

I'm guessing we will see 2 and 4 panelist combos in the future. They're probably still seeing what works well for their format.

Haha, to be honest I feel like punching most of the panel guests in general.

True... Mostly just the random people who are trying to be funny.

The show is still definitely trying to find it's footing, but slowly is getting there. Post spring break, Larry has seemed a lot more comfortable. His on-air staff are more comfortable. I also expect Larry to experiment more. He had that DeBlasio show a while back. He's done at least one show that went straight to panel. He's ended panel early to get another bit in. The Nightly Show is Larry trying things out and it's been fun so far.

It also helps that most of the comedians Larry has on, I'm very familiar with. It's a lot of New York comics, so I can see why if you don't follow that scene closely, you might not like the panels so much.

The show is still definitely trying to find it's footing, but slowly is getting there. Post spring break, Larry has seemed a lot more comfortable. His on-air staff are more comfortable. I also expect Larry to experiment more. He had that DeBlasio show a while back. He's done at least one show that went straight to panel. He's ended panel early to get another bit in. The Nightly Show is Larry trying things out and it's been fun so far.

It also helps that most of the comedians Larry has on, I'm very familiar with. It's a lot of New York comics, so I can see why if you don't follow that scene closely, you might not like the panels so much.

I think the show is going to make a legitimate star out of Mike Yard.

It's good to see them tinkering. They'll find a good groove soon enough.

davepoobond

Mike Yard is the best thing about the show for sure. But that tax day skit video he did was awful. I almost wanted to just end watching it.

FLEABttn

Banned
I really don't like the panel on this show. You have too many people who don't know or don't care enough about the subject matter to have anything interesting or insightful said about it. Since moving to the east coast I can't watch it live anymore and half the time I just find myself stopping a couple minutes into the panel because I just can't really put up with what the guests have to say.

Not that Colbert was firing on all cylinders when he started but this is really missing the mark so far.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I've been keeping up with it every night and it has improved a lot since it first aired, but it's still kind of aimless to me. I'm still not sure what it's looking to achieve. Larry is funny and likable but his presence is still lacking a lot, he doesn't have enough of a personality to really draw you in. Colbert had his ultra Right Wing shtick and Stewart had a whole slew of great correspondents to fall back on in his early years that allowed him to establish himself. Larry so far doesn't have either of those.

Mike Yard is the best of his crew, but they really aren't used all that well so far. They don't really do legit segments much at all and their little bits at the desk with Larry are a bit too stiff. I'm really glad they were quick to change up the shows segment flow and not blindly sticking to report, panel, keep it 100. Panel is still pretty hit or miss, better with just 3 people instead of 4, but I still find myself fast forwarding through it often times. Keep it 100 is still pretty bad all around when they bother to do it, even less so when they bother to give Larry one to do.

I want to like it more but it still needs a lot of work. I'm not sure what kind of show it's trying to be and I get the feeling they aren't too sure still either. At least when it was called Minority Report that was a gimmick you could latch onto, might have been a bit off putting to some and seem restrictive, but the Nightly Show is just kind of blah.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I pulled the plug and removed the show from my DVR. I was only watching the first act, couldn't stand the rest, but even that's only sometimes worth dealing with, and most of the bits with the correspondents (or whatever this show calls them) are so stilted and forced. Sorry, Larry.

I want to like it more but it still needs a lot of work. I'm not sure what kind of show it's trying to be and I get the feeling they aren't too sure still either. At least when it was called Minority Report that was a gimmick you could latch onto, might have been a bit off putting to some and seem restrictive, but the Nightly Show is just kind of blah.
They ultimately didn't have much choice either, since Fox is moving forward with a Minority Report series based on the movie.

But all problems aside, I think his shows on Baltimore have been nailing it.

I was actually going to bump the thread to say the same thing. Last night was enjoyable from start to finish. I loved it.

By the way, the transgender episode was informative but I hated Jordan Carlos as a panelist. God, was he cringeworthy on the subject of the word tranny being an offensive term.

davepoobond

I was actually going to bump the thread to say the same thing. Last night was enjoyable from start to finish. I loved it.

By the way, the transgender episode was informative but I hated Jordan Carlos as a panelist. God, was he cringeworthy on the subject of the word tranny being an offensive term.

All of the writers on the show seem like terribly unfunny young people straight out of internships.

Maybe that's the shows real problem right now

Kaladin

So I've only watched the show a few times, but does every thing with Larry Wilmore have to be about race? I get that it's a big issue, but every episode I've seen, every story has been race related and it gets tiring.

So I've only watched the show a few times, but does every thing with Larry Wilmore have to be about race? I get that it's a big issue, but every episode I've seen, every story has been race related and it gets tiring.

As someone who has seen every episode, the answer is no. But there has been a lot of current events about race lately, so it wouldn't make sense for him not to address it. Remember the show was originally "The Minority Report". It was always going to cover race, and black culture specifically.

I think he's done a very good job of adressing these issues. He even did a bit about how everyone is always saying what you just said. They are very aware of the shows reputation.

Kaladin

As someone who has seen every episode, the answer is no. But there has been a lot of current events about race lately, so it wouldn't make sense for him not to address it. Remember the show was originally "The Minority Report". It was always going to cover race, and black culture specifically.

I think he's done a very good job of adressing these issues. He even did a bit about how everyone is always saying what you just said. They are very aware of the shows reputation.

Ah...that makes sense. As I said, I've only seen it a few times here and there to see if the show has got any better from the last time I saw it and that seems to be all he covers when I tune in. Nothing wrong with being topical like that, but Colbert and Stewart always covered a range of things.

Usually in the opening segment Larry addresses a few different topics, but when you get to the panel, you have to narrow in. And I think Larry is going to talk about the biggest story for their show, which lately is going to be racial issues. Plus being the only black host on late night puts pressure on him to cover those kinds of stories.

And the show is still evolving. The format is not tied down. They don't do keeping it a hundred all that much anymore. They've basically cut the panel down to 3 guests. They've even done episodes with little or no panel. And they've been incorporating more remote segments. And Larry seems far more comfortable already. In a years time who knows what the show will be like.

Kaladin

Usually in the opening segment Larry addresses a few different topics, but when you get to the panel, you have to narrow in. And I think Larry is going to talk about the biggest story for their show, which lately is going to be racial issues. Plus being the only black host on late night puts pressure on him to cover those kinds of stories.

And the show is still evolving. The format is not tied down. They don't do keeping it a hundred all that much anymore. They've basically cut the panel down to 3 guests. They've even done episodes with little or no panel. And they've been incorporating more remote segments. And Larry seems far more comfortable already. In a years time who knows what the show will be like.

I guess I'll continue to periodically keep an eye on it as it evolves.

davepoobond

no, but the thing is his only good episodes are the ones that are about race.

he's been consistently "pretty good" the past week or so because they've been focusing on Baltimore and issues that actually affect something he cares about.

davepoobond

so, uh... they're trying something new. they moved the discussion from the table to a "lounge" area. i dont know if its better the way they are doing it but without a table seems to be better at least.

weird show, 3 months on and theyre still figuring it out

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
so, uh... they're trying something new. they moved the discussion from the table to a "lounge" area. i dont know if its better the way they are doing it but without a table seems to be better at least.

Well it takes time to figure out the format. Comedy Central's tried this sort of show before and it's failed, so it's not like they have a formula to follow. They not only have to find a voice for the show, but they need to figure out it's structure. They've got a lot more work to do than Colbert did or Noah and The Daily Show writers will.

Not

Banned

Interesting. Hope they do figure it out. I like the preference towards minority voices on this show

SURGEdude

Interesting. Hope they do figure it out. I like the preference towards minority voices on this show

I like the concept for sure. But some of the staff comedians are almost unwatchable . Watch the mother's day bit and I'd love welcome anybody to give me a reason it would be aired on even community access channel in a smallish city. And while that one was the most cringe worth the all the bad comedy bits which usual the presenter stares into the camera like with a deer in the headlights look that is really off putting. Not sure why the writing for Larry is decent but the correspondents get stuff that hurts to watch.

Edit: Holy shit they actually put it up online! On the Comedy Central site.

davepoobond

Well it takes time to figure out the format. Comedy Central's tried this sort of show before and it's failed, so it's not like they have a formula to follow. They not only have to find a voice for the show, but they need to figure out it's structure. They've got a lot more work to do than Colbert did or Noah and The Daily Show writers will.

sure, i guess i can give'm that much. just interesting that they are trying it this far out instead of earlier, but whatever.

i do feel like the show is at least coming together as a program, but most of the skits are still bad and the writers dont seem to be that great

Crud

Banned
I really enjoyed the laid back talk format with the girls from Broad City. Do more of that. I got a letter from Nielsen so now I can start giving this dude some ratings lol. Needs em. I'm not even close to being ready to stop watching for good.

Its going to keep improving.

davepoobond

Is this still bad? I really wish they could just turn this into Black Daily Show.

well, its slowly improving, or maybe thats because im lowering my expectations.

any of their skits are pretty dumb so i usually stop paying attention to those. discussions are still pretty interesting and his headlines touch on things daily show didnt go into so that holds my interest more or less

i still think anything that has to do with race has been the most interesting episodes. Larry talking about FIFA or breast feeding isnt that interesting

undrtakr900

well, its slowly improving, or maybe thats because im lowering my expectations.
I don't think it's improving, I lowered my expectations too. Currently just watching to watch, but don't get excited for new episodes like TDS, LWT or TCR(when it was on).
i still think anything that has to do with race has been the most interesting episodes. Larry talking about FIFA or breast feeding isnt that interesting
The subject of the FIFA scandal is interesting, it's just that TNS's writing is so dam amateur(ie. that lame talking.ball.heads segment)😳

On the contrast, Jon Oliver's FIFA segment was brilliant, funny, informative and well researched.

davepoobond

that ball gag is essentially the same as any of their other skits where they superimpose a face or whatever. not really sure what they're going for with that since they have their staffers as "contributors" (writers?) instead of "correspondents" so they use that cheap effect and then have their head writer do the same character over and over

its just all over the place. the people in charge of the show/writing for the show seem to be the #1 problem to me

undrtakr900

Exactly,the writing can make our break the show. I wonder why he didn't keep any of the Colbert writers(?) Instead it seems he hired a bunch of young comedians who lack the political savvy/wit of the TDS/LWT writers.

----------

On a more positive note christiane amanpou was amazing(!) on last night's episode, she was well spoken, articulate and had a deep knowledge/insight of the subjects at hand. Wish she was a regular.

Yesterday's episode proved that the writers and Larry himself are usually the weakest part of the panel segment. Christie Amanpour and the other comedian were pretty great.

davepoobond

This show has been on an upswing recently. Loved the interview with Lincoln Chafee. Reminded me of Colbert and his interviews with politicians.

i dont get the weird eating running gag, i think its actually sort of distracting because he is actually eating

JDSN

Banned
Wow big improvement, Larry is still a bit green and he lacks control over the crowd but the show its really watachable now. The show its starting to work for me finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom