• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the opening monologue should be about 5-6 minutes rather than 9 to let the guest panel breathe a bit more. Other than that it was pretty good. I liked the keep it 100 segment.

Just watched it. It's not bad. A little more serious than I expected, but that's not necessarily bad. It might need a bit more humor not to turn people off, but it really depends on what demographics their going for. I could easily see the show becoming popular among a lot of people, just not the same demographics that The Daily Show has. But maybe that's what they're going for. Either way, it has the potential to become something special, so I'm gonna keep my eye on The Nightly Show.

Razorskin

----- ------
I found Larry was a little quick in moving on to each guest and it didn't allow for much discussion to take place.

But these are kinks that can be worked out as he finds his groove. I like what I see so far.

Tough to do a good panel with 5 people and so little time imo, still entertained by it though.

Thought the premiere was good, will stick with it and see where they go with it.

US/CAN streaming links in the OP.

After watching the Daily Show, Colbert and now John Oliver, this show format is really starting to feel stale. I couldn't make it more than a few minutes into the episode personally. Wish Larry Wilmore did something to shake it up. It feels like I've watched this show for years already.

After watching the Daily Show, Colbert and now John Oliver, this show format is really starting to feel stale. I couldn't make it more than a few minutes into the episode personally. Wish Larry Wilmore did something to shake it up. It feels like I've watched this show for years already.

He did shake it up by dedicating the second half of the show to panel discussions...

What exactly are you looking for? If you don't have the news show format then it's something else entirely. Might as well do sketch comedy at that point.

He did shake it up by dedicating the second half of the show to panel discussions...

What exactly are you looking for? If you don't have the news show format then it's something else entirely. Might as well do sketch comedy at that point.

Really, I'd like to see a difference in tone. He has the same exact snarky authoritarian tone that three other major shows have had previously. It's not new or innovative. It's starting to feel dated, honestly. I was hoping this show would be different.

Really, I'd like to see a difference in tone. He has the same exact snarky authoritarian tone that three other major shows have had previously. It's not new or innovative. It's starting to feel dated, honestly. I was hoping this show would be different.
The Daily Show is "snarky authoritarian" wut?!

nelchaar

Not sure what this show was going for, perhaps not going for the comedy vibe, but it felt too serious and not funny at all. Maybe it was my fault for expecting a Colbert/Stewart-like show, but I don't go to Comedy Central to watch more political debate. The show feels like something that would be on NPR or the ilk.

Just watched the first ep on Hulu and it definitely has promise. The main issue I see is that panel shows typically run a full hour so that the process of guests bonding becomes part of the appeal of watching. In a 30 min format, Larry is going to have to do a lot more work to get things going.

I also hope they have non-liberals on the panel from time to time or the conversation will just be boring self affirmation.

Apt101

Just watched the first ep on Hulu and it definitely has promise. The main issue I see is that panel shows typically run a full hour so that the process of guests bonding becomes part of the appeal of watching. In a 30 min format, Larry is going to have to do a lot more work to get things going.

I also hope they have non-liberals on the panel from time to time or the conversation will just be boring self affirmation.

I just caught it on Hulu as well, and had the same thoughts. I love these round table type political shows and this one appears to be poised to be a good one. But 30 minutes really isn't doing the format justice.

Are people just not watching this? We're two episodes down and there's only 60-something posts about this show.

Anyway, just watched the second episode and it was a lot smoother, but I still think the opening should be shorter to allow more time for panel discussions.

Also, it's really interesting that this show seems deliberately less comedy oriented. I wonder if that was intentional when they put the show together.

chronos86

Are people just not watching this? We're two episodes down and there's only 60-something posts about this show.

Anyway, just watched the second episode and it was a lot smoother, but I still think the opening should be shorter to allow more time for panel discussions.

Also, it's really interesting that this show seems deliberately less comedy oriented. I wonder if that was intentional when they put the show together.

I really like the show already with just the 2 episode's that aired so far. I dont think you can really expect to many pages on threads about talk shows , even the daily show thread its taken 5 years to get 72 pages.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

It's not like the Daily Show thread moves fast either. I guess it's just not the type of thing suitable for discussion on a daily basis. Most of the discussions around these shows come from specific segments that go viral on their own merits.

For now, Wilmore is mostly treading old ground from last year, which is fine, it's just not the type of thing to get everyone talking. Sooner or later, I'm sure new news will show up for him to comment on, or he'll run out of easy topics to cover and have to go out and make his own news to cover, either way, that's where his real test will be.

Opto

Banned
I love Keeping It 100 and obviously this is just the first 3 shows, but I hope there's plans for a variety of segments.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I want to like the show. I liked Larry's segments on TDS. I don't think the show is anywhere near hitting it's stride and I'm not sure that Comedy Central will keep it on long enough for it to try and get it's footing.

The opening monologues haven't been good. Larry hasn't been able to find a steady cadence. He's not natural up there and you can very much tell by the way he fumbles around with the teleprompter. It's also hasn't been very funny. You can tell he doesn't have the same caliber writers as TDS or Colbert.

The Panel could be good but I feel like Larry isn't doing a good job of steering and controlling the conversation. This is probably something he will get much better at as time goes by if CC gives it enough time. I think having a comedian as a panel guest is good in theory but hasn't been good in execution so far.

Keep it 100 is fun and probably the best part of the show so far. I'll keep watching it because watching these shows has been part of my nightly routine for so long that I don't have anything else to watch until we finally get Colbert back when he takes over Late Night. I'll be surprised if Larry is still on in November.

I think it's pretty good so far, I feel that it's going to take while to properly find it's voice and for Wilmore to grow as a host. Last night's was hilarious though, loved it.

NimbusD

I don't know how they normally film, but I noticed a cut on tuesday's show that would indicate that they film actually longer than30 minutes. They definitely should allow for more room when filming, even if they ahve to cut it off, maybe have the longer conversations online like with Daily Show's interviews.

I can definitely see them getting more varied in their guests, that's how this show is going to live or die, is how good their booking is, really. That and Larry needs to get better at steering conversations pretty quickly. He's doing adequate right now, but mostly seems to be letting people just go.

FiggyCal

Banned
I wasn't a fan of "I voted for Obama because he was black" joke. It supports that awful assumption about the ignorance of black folk.

I don't think it's the type of show that I would watch to stay informed or hear insightful commentary, like Colbert or John Stewart. I think he needs time to find his groove, and I'm hoping his show lasts more than a few episodes... But I'm not a fan.

It actually reminded me of Bill Maher's show on HBO. But again, he's not going to say anything that I haven't already heard and for that matter he doesn't do as good a job controlling the conversation.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I wasn't a fan of "I voted for Obama because he was black" joke. It supports that awful assumption about the ignorance of black folk.
I both agree and disagree on that. Things are different for minorities; I find that reasoning much more acceptable than those people who voted for Romney because he's white since Caucasians are the majority that throughout the political history dominated in every sector.

Last night's panel was very good. Opening monologue is the weakest part of the show. He makes many easy and simple jokes.

Like the show a lot so far, but yeah it will take a little longer for Larry to find his groove and for him to start setting the right pace for the panel. Right now it feels a little unfocused with the guests up until the Keeping It 100 segment.

This guys jokes are freaking awful. They should just cut this to 15 minutes as a youtube show because the panel's only thing worth watching

I like the content and I like the jokes, but Larry's delivery lacks "oomph". It's like watching someone do a routine on the uneven bars and at the end of it, stops in place, drops down, and then walks away. You gotta stick the landing with a little flourish, you know? I'm enjoying it so far and I remember John Oliver took a few weeks before he got into the groove of things, and now he's great! So I'm sure Larry will improve as he gets more comfortable with the format of the show and such which will be fun to see.

I'm really enjoying the questions on the Keeping it 100 segments. They're not the same stupid "get a reaction from the audience" questions and some have gotten me to stop and think how I'd answer.

It's not great yet. Panel should at least be funny or in-depth. It's not working on either fronts yet. Each panelist only gets a few seconds to get their prepared speech out there and there isn't enough time for some back and forth. As a result the discussion just feel very superficial. Especially since there's also a token opposition guy/girl on each panel....

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Am I the only one that thinks Wilmore is killing it? The keep it 100 segment is the best.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one that thinks Wilmore is killing it? The keep it 100 segment is the best.

I really like most of the jokes, and the keep it 100 segment.

But...

It's not great yet. Panel should at least be funny or in-depth. It's not working on either fronts yet. Each panelist only gets a few seconds to get their prepared speech out there and there isn't enough time for some back and forth. As a result the discussion just feel very superficial. Especially since there's also a token opposition guy/girl on each panel....

This is the biggest problem with the show so far. Wilmore getting more practice will help, but maybe they also need to cut it down to 3 people?

MartyStu

Will watch again in about a year when Wilmore has gotten into a good rhythm.

Took Stewart a while before he got the hang of things. Colbert was playing a character so his task was slightly easier.

Yeah, panels need more humor in them, and intentionally. The discussion portion worked fine when it was only in the third part of the show because at least you had 2/3 of it for laughs. At 1/3 laughs, kind of harder to watch all the way through. But yeah, groove of things and all that.

DietRob

Jesus christ Larry thanks for spoiling the American Sniper (yes, i know it's a quasi documentary). Ugh, I'm still trying to like this show. I'm really close to being done with it.

terrene

Banned
I like Larry, and the show is okay, but it's just not as good as the competition, yet. It's kind of like... Not as funny as John Oliver, not as crushingly insightful as The Daily Show, and it doesn't have as good of a panel discussion as Real Time (Bill Maher's show), so I can't quite find the hole in my life this fits -- other than it refreshingly having a non-white-person's perspective on subject-of-the-day political stories. I honestly do appreciate that, hell I kinda watch Girls just because it's interesting to see a show from the perspective of such young people. Anyway all in all... Meh. :/ Sadly, I fear Colbert's Late Show will be meh too, and this will all be a net loss. :(

DietRob

What? His story is pretty well known.

Well yes I know that. But I don't think I needed to know that the movie opened with
him killing a kid
. From the trailer it seems like the build up to that happening or not happening would have a big impact on the theater audience.

IGNORANT.

Are you are calling me ignorant? Well, fuck you.

iMax

Are you are calling me ignorant? Well, fuck you.

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
His show needs to be an hour if it's going to continue, cause the panel does not work in that short a time frame.

11 minutes of Wilmore's comedic take on a current event, along with a introduction of the issue.
22 minutes panel discussion
8 minutes of Keep it at 100
3 minutes closing comment and internet question.

I could see this working, and working quite well. But the change needs to be made, and made soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom